Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Milo and POTUS posted:

This is gonna sound stupid but I already have quake 2 in library though not installed. The steam link to that gematsu article just takes it to the Quake 2 steam page. Is it automatically installed or something I'm dumb lol

They replaced the old version with the new one, although you can still access the original version. Just like with Quake 1's remaster last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Bunch of cowards taking a neutral stance on such an important subject :colbert:

Don't miss the two playable demo versions in the Development section of the Vault.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I'm glad that after 25 years they've finally buffed the Q2 machinegun.

Volte posted:

Did I get ripped off or something

Maybe they dropped the base price for Doom 3 + expansion at one point and it made the pack cheaper as a result?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

I just found breaking the tracking the vore projectiles to always be way harder then I'd expect. I'd speed around a corner and think I was safe only to get a face full of explosion.

Particularly as someone who played a ton of Doom - I'm near certain vore projectiles track way harder then revenant fireballs.

Ooh, bad memories of The Reckoning mission pack for Quake II coming back. It features a variation of the Iron Maiden that has tracking missiles, so hiding around corners has you eating severe splash damage. You learn to move back several steps further quickly.

On a whole the added/upgraded enemies are a slog to fight and with the new laser guard you've got even more hitscan to deal with. Yeah, I'm just going to use the console to skip to the final level and collect my achievement for finishing The Reckoning, I've had my fill.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Aug 12, 2023

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Dramicus posted:

Absolutely. After finishing the Reckoning and feeling a bit burned out by it (The spaceship level was by far the best part though, super fun), Ground Zero started off really strong and it was refreshingly fun... right until the turrets started showing up. Now it's a slog again.

This is extremely close to how I felt about them a couple years ago, so I'm pretty thrilled this remaster has the 64 and Machine campaigns so I'm not even tempted to revisit those expansions.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 17, 2023

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I saw that one particular section in Operation: Corpse Run coming from a mile away.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

... i cant remember the lava trap. Whats the worst weapon in teh game?

It's the secret level in Ground Zero's first "unit", which you have to find during the countdown. You get the Chainfist, a melee weapon.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Assepoester posted:

The First Person Id Software Games Time Has Forgotten, aka Doom RPG, Wolfenstein RPG, and what the hell is Orcs and Elves? Nintendo DS? What?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0fwb9jKtIg

You'd have to wipe my memory to make me forget about Orcs & Elves!

I imagine I have a very old iPhone collecting dust in a shoe box that still has Wolfenstein RPG and Doom II RPG, although I never even booted up the latter.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I imagine screen cheating in The Settlers II was ridiculous unless you were teaming up against the AI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3_IblbOcRk

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Someone on Discord gave me their GOG key for Quake IV and I'm committed to finishing it, but... it's so freaking boring. I just want to sprint passed all these marines, I don't care what they have to say. Peter Stormare, whatever voice direction you received (if any) was terrible, because your performance sucks. It's bringing me down, man.

I can't play more than one or two sections a day, that's as much as I can stomach. I'm about to get stroggified, perhaps it's best if they remove my ears and guts so I can be done with the game quicker.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Nostalgamus posted:

I remember finding the turrets a lot more frustrating before the remaster. The addition of the targeting laser makes them a lot easier to spot.

It also instantly tells you if you took out a turret with a rocket or a rail slug when the laser disappears. The turrets were my main complaint with Ground Zero a couple years back, so they've definitely changed it for the better.

I don't think anything could have salvaged The Reckoning for me tho. Even a run in the Remaster with god mode felt like a slog.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Oct 7, 2023

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I did not know he worked at/with Looking Glass :monocle:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I too played Gotham City Imposters and enjoyed it for a bit. It was part of a Warner Brothers humble bundle at some point, so it came with some of the (premium) stuff unlocked that you probably would have to grind if you were F2P. For about a month after that bundle I had no trouble getting games, assuming you were just playing Team Deathmatch instead of one of the other game-types. After a month it became much rougher. I'm guessing that game didn't have dedicated servers and the downward spiral of players quitting suddenly came in hard.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

When it comes to liking big HUDs* I always have to give a shout-out to Zero Tolerance for the Mega Drive/Genesis.

*I can not lie

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

I was surprised at how much I found Max Payne 1 to NOT hold up. Just a ton of cheap one-shot kills around every corner. Found myself save scumming wayyyy more than I remember. May just be rusty, to be fair

A known issue with its adaptive difficulty is if you manually reload the game it does not know you died, so it never gets easier.

Or maybe it generally was a problem with the game not registering deaths, I'd just grab a patch if I'd ever revisit MP1.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 23, 2024

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Can Ken Levine just retire again, without dismantling the dev studio this time please.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Obviously they're busy bringing this game back from the dead as we speak!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK2s982TzxQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Bumhead posted:

Never played UT2K4 and now I’m loving pissed at Epic again that I can’t just jump onto Steam and buy it.

Just buy it from their own sto-- NUH-UH.

They even pulled it from GOG. Just taking an enormous steaming pile of poo poo on their own legacy.