Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

Ok, but I wasn't actually interested in the games so much as the business models they used.

E: also, now that I think about it, what is the difference between "shareware" and "a game with a demo"? Is there even one?

The legal difference was that you had to delete shareware after 28 days if you didn't buy a registered version, whereas a demo could be kept indefinitely. In practice, a shareware version was normally the whole first 1/3 of the game given away for free, whereas a demo would normally consist of a level or two if you were lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

What? This isn't true in the slightest. None of the Apogee games had that restriction, and I'm pretty sure the Id games didn't either.

I'm trying (and failing) to find anything to back this up, although going by Google results I think it was a 30-day trial period and not 28 days as I said before. I can remember a load of shareware trials having a disclaimer about deleting them after 30 days but can't find anything specific right now.

Anyway, looks like I was wrong about it being a legal requirement at least, as the Doom shareware doesn't seem to have any restriction.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Wow, I thought this was abandoned a while back! Time to replay DF I guess :v:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Zero Star posted:

This has probably been asked before, but how do I set up an Xbox 360 controller with Skulltag, so that the left and right triggers control firing?

Xpadder is probably the best thing to use. You'll need to set up a profile to bind keys on your keyboard to buttons/triggers on the gamepad.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

catlord posted:

Did they remove SiN from Steam?

Yeah, I think they did... You can only get the recent 'Sin: Episodes' as a standalone now.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Thank god, you can turn off auto-saves now! If only there was a way of removing the autoload when you die...

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rather Dashing posted:

It's great that you're happy with it and everything, but you'll probably be able to get the iD super mega pack for something like $20 in the sale.

I paid £37 for the id Super Pack a few years back and don't regret it for a minute :colbert:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Best news I've heard all week :)

Oh, and Fish Polka better be back.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Dominic White posted:

And a little bit more interesting news - to celebrate Quakecon, that cel-shaded, Doom-engine'd new retro shooter Wrack is half price today. $5.

It's still in development, so you get updates up until launch day.

Is this any good then? I've not heard, well, anything about it at all.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

Good lord this game is exactly how it's supposed to look.

drat, my words exactly. This looks fun.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

quote:

We heard you like it old school - so now you've got the option to play with all the original ROTT 95 sounds and music or you experience the original soundndtrack completely reforged in the fires of heavy metal! The choice is yours.

With Rise of the Triad you have the freedom to build your own insane levels, create your own maddening mods and share them with everyone using Valve's Steamworks! All you need is a little bit of know-how and plenty of creativity.

I think they got me.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Yeah I don't feel like this is id's doing, it feels like Bethesda wasn't happy with how long Rage took and how much it made.

Back in the day id made Doom II as a side project to keep people busy while they made Quake. Doing the same after Doom 3 would have been a logical step, I have no idea exactly why Rage took seven years to make :psyduck:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Also ROTT only had about 20 good levels anyway, it all fell apart when those loving monks showed up.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Wow, now Jace Hall wants to make an updated version of Blood.

vg247 posted:

“I have a very specific vision in mind for what I’d like to do, but before I go off and do it,” he said. “I wanted to speak directly with the Blood community and see what the thoughts are.

“My goal of course is for this all to be free, and all about gameplay and fun. You can rest assured that I have the resources to bring Blood back properly but like I said, I’m hoping to have the community participate in all this if it wants to so we can all do it together.

“Rest assured, that I know everything that needs to be known in regard to the blood rights/legal issues. If I indeed decide to move forward with my ideas for Blood, I certainly will be able to and will get all the support I need from all/any parties that may have legal interest in the game.”

Hall said should he attempt to bring Blood back, he’ll be the once “actually paying the bill,” and will “not likely be getting,” his money back.

“It will be all for the fun of it,” he said. “I think it would good for the community to beging to create a dream list of all the things that they would hope for with Blood. In regard to the source code, I have reservations about releasing it due to it making it that much easier for people to cheat/hack whatever new system I put in place – and part of what I’m hoping to achieve with this potential project is a game that really allows people to build measurable value in their cummulative game accomplishments.”

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

Here's an official FAQ on what versions of Doom 3 BFG have what. No word on a non-:files: PC version of No Rest For The Living yet, though.

Honestly for console gamers this sounds like a pretty great deal, especially considering the low retail price. For PC gamers, not so much.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Anyone know if there's a way to unlock the framerate in Aleph One? I've managed to sort out the fov finally, but the whole thing looks jerky as hell.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Thanks! Interesting to know, I guess there are more complex mechanics involved in the Marathon games than Doom that might be screwed up by increasing the framerate.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

drat shame, I retried getting into Aleph One again recently, and the high FOV and wonky mouselook just hosed me up. :(

Drop this into your Scripts folder to fix the fov - you can edit it in notepad and change to whatever figure you want. Mouselook is fixable by playing around with the sensitivity a bit - I find halving the default values, then adding about another 1/3rd onto the vertical sensitivity hits the sweet spot.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Wow, where did this come from? Time to reinstall Thief 2 I guess!

e: Awesome, Thief 2 now works with Steam overlay!

Convex fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 25, 2012

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
And on that topic, the Thief trilogy is today's daily deal on Steam. All 3 at 75% off, £4.74 here in the UK.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

caldrax posted:

Is there any version Doom 2 available for mac os 10.5 right now? I just hunted down one of my old .wad's and I wanted to check it out for nostalgia's sake, but I'm on a mac and I don't have a windows partition installed at the moment. I googled around and found a bunch of old and broken links.

There is a build of zdoom for Mac OS - take a look around here.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Does anyone have a link for the latest version of Brutal Doom? I can't find one thanks to some French guy going crazy with DCMA notices :argh:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Thanks!

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Dominic White posted:

Archviles are a pretty great piece of design in general. You really don't see enemies like that in shooters anymore - they behave like no other enemy, and they're big threats in two different ways.

This is what keeps me coming back to Doom 2 time and time again. Enemies like the Archvile, Revenant, Mancubus and Pain Elementals (gently caress those things) require completely different strategies and can really mix up the way you approach a situation.

I miss that kind of variety in modern shooters :(

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah, the addon pack is a pretty cool addition. Now if only there was a way to make the Pistol replacement fire automatically...

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah, there's a very specific strategy you need to employ to win that one.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Doom levels are all designed to be playable from a pistol start, and in some cases actually play better that way. The way you restart levels without any of your guns or ammo is a pretty valid design choice from that perspective.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
What mod is that?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Thanks for the link. Have given it a try, getting some pretty bad performance though. Is this a general thing with using Polymer?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

with the secret level from TEETH.WAD turned into the "boss level"

:stare:

Well, good luck finishing that one

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

SavageMessiah posted:

I didn't care much for how the pistol-start enforcer linked earlier worked (new difficulty, UV only, etc) and it also doesn't seem to work right for brutal doom so I made these:

riflestart.wad
pistolstart.wad

riflestart is the brutal doom one of course. These don't affect any particular difficulty level, they just reset your inventory when a level starts. Just add them and goooo :black101:

Note: These use ACS and only work in zdoomish ports as far as I know.

Thank You for making a proper pistol start mod! I've been hoping for one of these for ages.

Can I ask a small favour though - would you be able to make a version that resets your health to 100% as well as enforcing a pistol start?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

SavageMessiah posted:

They both do that - armor is set to 0 and health is set to 100. Is it not working for you or did you just not try it yet?

:doh:

I... didn't try it yet.

e: By the way, you should upload these to the \idgames archive if you haven't already!

Convex fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 29, 2012

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jblade posted:

Was it ever playable in co-op

It was, but you had to play the entire game in one sitting as you couldn't level skip without breaking things.

Honestly, if any game actually needed a Bioshock style objective arrow... That game was impossible if you took a break of more than a week during a hub.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
As everyone's going on about Brutal Doom again, anyone know of a way to a) make the replacement pistol fire automatically like the old one and b) turn off beserk fatalities by default? I think I'm the only person that finds them annoying :saddowns:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

Why would you ever want to use the pistol again? is it any different (in terms of power) from the original?

I guess it just doesn't feel like Doom unless I have a pistol. I don't know why.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

That Ignorant Sap posted:

For the berserk punch, just hit your manual reload button. You'll crack your knuckles and go into "smash" mode. Crack them again to go back to "rip and tear" for fatalities and lost soul grabbing.

Thanks! Guess I should upscale the message size a bit so I can actually read it...

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Just found a neat little trick to (mostly) eliminate mouse lag when using vsync in gzdoom - provided you're using an Nvidia card.

1. download Nvidia Inspector from here, extract and run. Halfway down the right side of the window there's a small button with a wrench on - click here to open the driver profile settings window.

2. Create a new profile for gzdoom and add your gzdoom.exe to the profile.

3. Scroll down to the 'Common' section, set 'Frame Rate Limiter' to 59fps, and click 'Apply changes'.

This also works with eDuke32 and SWP, which were practically unplayable before.

Convex fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 9, 2012

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

So is there some way to force GZDoom to run in like, windowed fullscreen? You know, like it's technically windowed but there's no title bar or borders? I ask because I have this really, really annoying problem in the GL renderer only where 16:9 resolutions above 1280x720 screw up and for some reason squish the screen vertically like it's not at the right aspect ratio for my screen. It only happens in GL and only happens in fullscreen and nobody can give me a reason as to why.

Gamecompanion is good for this, just extract wherever and add gzdoom.exe to the config file. Then set to run on startup and it'll do the rest.

Obviously make sure your gzdoom windowed resolution matches your native res as well.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

SavageMessiah posted:

I didn't care much for how the pistol-start enforcer linked earlier worked (new difficulty, UV only, etc) and it also doesn't seem to work right for brutal doom so I made these:

riflestart.wad
pistolstart.wad

riflestart is the brutal doom one of course. These don't affect any particular difficulty level, they just reset your inventory when a level starts. Just add them and goooo :black101:

Note: These use ACS and only work in zdoomish ports as far as I know.

OK, I've been playing through Brutal Doom with CC4 and the rifle start mod and absolutely loving it! I think there's a conflict with Brutal Doom and riflestart.wad though, in that with the latter enabled the basic shotgun is always unloaded when I first pick it up :( I did try it with the no reloads mutator, but that doesn't seem to quite work properly when weapon switching.

(thanks for the mods, they're awesome)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Thanks for the fix, works perfectly now!