Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It doesn't help that there's an enemy type that can only be permanently killed with explosions. The grenade launcher was probably meant to be the iconic weapon since it's something that could not exist in that form in a 2.5D engine, but the RL is so much more usable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I’m gonna split the difference and call them boom clones

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Interactive toilets

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Toilets that restore health when you interact with them

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Smashable toilets

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
In my headcanon, the night sentinels rescued the doom slayer from being trapped under the ceiling that fell on him after he plasmaed at the cyberdemon who had fired the rocket missiles at him

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DoombatINC posted:

Nothing beats the original Marathon when it comes to how a HUD should be - noisy, belabored, physically diegetic and two-thirds of the motherfucking screen :colbert:

Anything that’s static hud is pixels your 68030 doesn’t have to rasterize :ssh:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mordja posted:

OK but did they hire FakeFactory? What's Alyx look like?

"Orbifold Studios" is a Voltron-like amalgamation of several mod teams but not that one so Alyx will probably be OK or at least not that bad

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Doom 2016 was one of the few games that could do a solid 1080p60 on PS4

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Convex posted:

MP2 has the best version of the theme tune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u116HbMOF_Y

also :rip: james mccaffrey

It also has Late Goodbye, the first and far from the last time Remedy worked with Poets of the Fall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzsiE44Lz_w

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Vores are OK if they're used to complement the map design

Spawns are indefensible

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

khwarezm posted:

Can somebody give me a primer on what Embracer group is why they seemed to be in the process of destroying the European games industry?

The Embracer business plan was basically:

-Take out loans
-Buy out as many game studios as they can
-Sell the huge bundle of game studios to the Saudi sovereign wealth fund for more than the cost of the loans
-Walk away with a profit

But then the financial winds changed and the Saudis declined to buy, leaving Embracer with a huge pile of game studios and also a huge pile of debt. They're taking the axe to the former in hopes that it can make the latter go away or at least become smaller

Someone could theoretically buy them out of the remaining studios, but it would take an awful lot of money and there aren't a lot of players with that kind of money to spend and also that kind of faith in video games

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

chaosapiant posted:

Is there a reference or something I can read about the Saudi company buyout stuff? That's the first I've heard of that piece.

This is the source Wikipedia used for that claim: https://www.axios.com/2023/08/14/saudi-arabia-savvy-games-embracer-group

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It was a good twist, the mistake was the game continuing for several hours after that

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Boltgun just needs some tweaks like nav points, better communication that you're taking damage, and toning down those loving champions

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Milo and POTUS posted:

Did you not have that terrible comic in the funny section?

You mean The Wizard of Eye Dee?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Mythbusters should have considered ammo weight when they had a guy strap on a dozen guns and run an obstacle course

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
On top of cool rendering tricks Dark Forces also supported rotating brushes and a bunch of other things. I never dug into it but it was probably as scriptable as, say, Hexen. Levels had triggered voice lines and narratives, integrated cutscenes, complicated switch-driven mechanisms, and other stuff

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I beat Doom Eternal, so you almost certainly don't fight multiple marauders in the base game

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Dark Forces remaster is pricy but good. It looks exactly like I remember it (which means it looks significantly better than the original actually did)

Forgot how many of those goddamn land mines there were, though, and how often they were hidden in piles of pickups

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

In Training posted:

Oh yeah I forgot they're making a marathon reboot. Isn't it like. A PUBG clone or something.

It's been described as an extraction shooter, so more of a Tarkov clone, or at least that's their go-to inspiration example. No in-game material has been shown and it's currently targeting 2025

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Marathon 1 had an arsenal mod or two, but Infinity made the concept unviable with changes to how its mod support worked

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Trespasser VR (you can only use one motion controller)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
KISS Psycho Circus was one of the very few games to receive a positive review on the SA front page back in the day

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

anilEhilated posted:

Do the episodes add any guns? HL2's lackluster arsenal is the main reason I never went back to it.

Other than the throwable bombs in the episode 2 finale, no

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah but leaving it on a massive cliffhanger blows, given they never got around to following up on it.

Does (HL: Alyx) retconning it out of existence with time travel fuckery count as following up on it?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Just a necessary step on the evolution of the genre towards its ultimate form: a game where you shoot boomers

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Tiny Timbs posted:

Sorry, gender isn’t a toggle

Not until you find the new chemicals in the storeroom

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Mind you, people were also buying crap like D!ZONE in stores which was nothing more than levels you could legitimately download from idgames FTP mirrors for free.

At 33.6kbps or lower, this would take quite a while (and that's assuming you had internet access for your Doom box, which was not a given like it is today), so compilation discs still had some value

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
loving lpbs

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Kins posted:

The Descent 3 source code has been released. It's not compilable out of the box due to missing proprietary bits for video files etc. but hopefully it can get massaged into something that makes running Descent 3 on modern systems slightly less of a mess.

Whoa, that's really cool! I always had a soft spot for this game even though it has a lot of weird decisions and flaws (and bugs, especially in the mac/linux update that got released not that long ago), maybe now it can be cleaned up

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sir Lemming posted:

It's been a while, but I remember it being more "modern" for better and for worse. It attempts to have a narrative and different mission objectives and stuff to make the game about more than just shooting robots, with mixed results. Kind of a similar franchise arc to Doom now that I think about it.

Yeah, all the levels are scripted and have multiple updating objectives and storylines. Sometimes this means you're flying around neat working mechanisms as you do the things, sometimes it means you go on awful key/switch hunts, sometimes it means the level glitches out and can't be finished because only 49 out of 50 targets spawned

I remember some of the enemies being really, really annoying to fight because they're a little too maneuverable. Going outdoors is really cool, though, and the engine supported some pretty advanced effects like volumetric fog

The music is also great, but unfortunately a lot of it can't be listened to outside the game- it's assembled dynamically from short loops and the masters were lost at some point so there is no canonical mix to track down

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Doom was the first and most faithful doom clone

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jehde posted:

Turn the map on and doom is a twin stick shooter.

Enter the right cheat code and you're not even joking

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The main thing I remember about Rage 1 is that it doesn't have an ending, it just crashes to a halt all of a sudden. It's like they brought in Neal Stephenson to write the script

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hasturtium posted:

Phil Spector gets to know game studios the way Galactus gets to know a planet, or Brainiac gets to know civilizations.

Phil Spector, Herald of Microsoft

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Division has (had?) the Dark Zone, which I think people were into

There's probably a way to make an extraction shooter that's fun to play even if the hardcore streamers will poo poo on it. In fact that's what I'm banking on for Marathon since supposedly hardcore streamers got to play an alpha version already and did poo poo on it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of Marathon:

https://twitter.com/Bungie/status/1788955765710983655

(This is the same Aleph One-based Marathon that has been free for years, just now available through Steam)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Baked lighting is also raytraced, just not fast enough for real-time interaction

And it's not really fair to say engineering vs art is a tradeoff. Engineers make tools and artists use them, they're different skill sets. Making the tools more powerful and intuitive and more likely to deliver what's wanted on the first try doesn't mean what the artists do with them is now less important. And it certainly doesn't mean the engineers can now do what the artists do by themselves

If the game looks like rear end it's the fault of whoever decided to cut back on artists

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Years ago ITT someone described Hexen as a playable heavy metal album cover and I don't think anyone can do better than that

Also worth noting that each class's final weapon unlocks fairly late in the game so it's more like 3 classes with 3 weapons each most of the time. A number of inventory items also function as weapons, though

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
No one is using the cleric because the wizard has a range attack with infinite ammo that also passes through enemy shields that bounce anything else back at you