Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Has anyone mentioned ECWolf? If you want a ZDoom for Wolfenstein, this is it, though it's nowhere near as mature yet. Unfortunately the Wolfenstein community is rather small and attached to traditional practices so not a lot of mods exist aside from the 10-level tech demo episode (my 10-level tech demo episode :toot:) that's available on the ECWolf website. If you've ever considered modding for Wolfenstein I'd highly recommend it instead of using DOS Wolfenstein or Wolf4SDL due to not having to learn C++ or deal with cut-and-paste source code tutorials that may or may not work and sometimes conflict with each other (I am not kidding when I say that a lot of modders literally do not understand what they're doing to the source code of their mods).

EDIT: Oh yeah it also adds proper mouse support and two-button strafe so if you hate Wolf3D's controls it will be a complete revelation for you.

Buff Skeleton posted:

Oh my god, Descent. DESCENT. Some of my favorite games of all time and, sadly, one of the few truly amazing games I have yet to see redone in a modern engine.

There's actually one hitscan enemy in D1, the Vulcan bot (which is a nightmare to deal with on harder difficulties). Also, I've never seen a game pull off global difficulty settings as well as Descent; there aren't more enemies on higher settings, but their AI is SO much different that the game feel completely changes as you step it up from Trainee to Rookie to Hotshot to Ace to Insane. Robots are faster, enemy projectiles are faster, the AI gets smarter, and they will move around a lot and get really unpredictable.

D2 had a couple of hitscan enemies as well, but yeah, most enemies fire projectiles. On Ace and Insane, enemy projectiles are as fast as yours. It's balls-to-the-wall hard as gently caress and some of the most challenging gameplay I can remember.

The hitscans are actually projectiles, they just move at around 10x the speed of your ship. I'd say the difficulty levels are seriously flawed in D1 as certain enemies (most notably the Driller and Fusion Hulk use player projectiles that don't scale to difficulty, making them completely disproportionate to the difficulty of the others on lower skill levels.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

TerminusEst13 posted:

This is really the only thing keeping me from ECWolf.
I want to be able to know where the gently caress I need to go, please.

Well it's not like any other Wolfenstein port has it yet (except maybe NewWolf, but NewWolf sucks).

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

SavageMessiah posted:

Only if you do bi- or trilinear filtering. Use HQ2x, it looks better and still maintains full pixelly goodness.

No, it still looks like crap, the way it interpolates curves and angles distorts the shapes of sprites and details on textures.

I really like the new Quake port Engoo, but unfortunately its horrible bugginess and awful framerates make it unsuitable for replacing DirectQ as my preferred port. It's just not usable enough at this stage. But it sure looks pretty, especially for a software renderer. The Unreal 1-ish coronas in particular look great.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

...and I love them. The thing I haven't quite figured out are the different compression characteristics. Like RGBA8 (?) and A5 and the others. I usually leave it on RGBA8 but you can produce some pretty radically ugly images with some of the other types. Does anybody use even those?

OK< don't quote me on this because I am not an expert, but AFAIK GZDoom discards the palette information of textures and graphics it feeds to the GPU. RGBA8 is raw 32-bit image data. It looks perfect but if you have a lot of textures in memory and your GPU is incredibly lovely it could theoretically cause you to run out of VRAM, resulting in paging, slowdown, and other undesirable things. RGBA5 is 15-bit color + alpha (32 values each of red, green, and blue for a total of 32,768 colors). It smashes all the textures, sprites, and other images in memory to 15-bit color to save VRAM. The result is really, really ugly. IIRC there are also DXT* options available. These are a sort of lossy compression that video cards can natively compress/decompress. When you enable "texture compression" in most modern games, it stores textures in memory in DXT5 format. It saves VRAM without looking as godawful as RGBA5. There's probably no reason to use any texture compression in GZDoom, so leave it at RGBA8.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 13, 2013

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Depend on how old that laptop is, Engoo may brutalize its CPU.

If you want a lightweight Quake port, DirectQ uses Direct3D instead of OpenGL and has much less in the way of eyecandy than other hardware Quake ports, and will probably run on your laptop.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Can someone recommend me a Quake map set that is of substantial length but not too difficult (preferably no harder than the original game, because I suck at Quake and especially suck at anything involving vores)?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

http://quakeone.com/travail/download.html

Just ran into something I remembered from a long time ago--the Travail mod for Quake 1. If you like absolutely, mind-blowingly humongous maps, this is for you. They're really well-built and detailed too although it's easy to get hung up on some of the detail.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 15, 2013

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The website says they intentionally copied a part of House of Decay in one level of Travail and intended for people to notice the similarity.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

For Quake II single-player I'd strongly recommend Quake II 3.24 Unofficial instead of R1Q2 as it has nice features like OGG Vorbis support (same way as KMQuakeII) and working cinematics while being just as minimalist and compatible. You can even use the R1GL renderer by renaming the DLL to ref_gl and overwriting the normal ref_gl.dll, and the config generator will even work.

Note that using R1GL will break cinematics.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 17, 2013

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Supreme Power posted:

It really depends on how you want to look at it. I don't approve of the racism, but I do like the Brutal Doom mod.

Kinda like how a lot of people (including me) don't approve of the whole Nazi thing, but some people like Volkswagen.

Volkswagen are pretty repentant about the whole Nazi thing, you know. Part of the reason the Camaro got featured in Michael Bay's Transformers movies was that VW do not want their cars associated with violence.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Supreme Power posted:

Woah. I just tried playing Chex Quest 3 with the Ketchup Gore Mod, and... it's like an entirely new game.

I don't really know what the original plot of the game was, or if it even has a plot, but it feels kinda cool to have a game where your entire purpose seems to be to invade alien bases and blow the aliens up in the most gruesome ways possible. You can even rip them to shreds with a spoon.

VVVV - It actually is green with the Ketchup mod.

Things like that always make me think of this.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Am I crazy for thinking Quake II is a vastly superior game to the original Quake? It's got a fully unified sense of place and theme (say what you want about the drab texture colors or abuse of colored lighting, Stroggos at least looks like a product of a specific vision instead of a mishmash of incompatible elements like Quake 1), more diverse and balanced enemies and weapons, and fewer gently caress-you moments than the first Quake. When I play Quake II I get immersed in the world they've created, but when I play Quake 1 I feel like I'm playing three different games at once and see all the seams between them.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I'm not going to deny that Quake II has a more cohesive aesthetic than Quake, but who the hell plays Quake for the immersion? Quake II's levels are some uncomfortable medium between Half Life's realistic layouts and the old-school abstract design, while Quake's layouts, despite making no visual sense, are maybe the last great moment of gameplay-first, abstract levels, and feature some of the best uses of verticality ever in an FPS.

Well considering that immersion has always been kind of the whole point of the FPS from the beginning (it was one of the big box-art bullet points for both Wolfenstein 3D and Doom), it's rather important. Also I don't really find Quake II's levels all that awkward except for the ones in Ground Zero, which were done by Rogue and not Id Software. The hub system is IMO handled quite well and works much better than it did in Hexen.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

WickedIcon posted:

I honestly couldn't even get out of the first hub area in Quake 2, last time I played it. gently caress that game and gently caress its level design. gently caress cohesive aesthetics too, more games should be willing to go balls out insane like the original Quake and Shadow Warrior.

Shadow Warrior was actually a pretty lovely game with horrendous gameplay IMO, and even it made more sense than Quake 1, which was a complete design train wreck.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

One nice thing about Q2 was that while Doom and Q1 front-loaded all the monsters and weapons, Q2 gave you something new to use or to kill every few levels almost up to the very end of the game.

Of course the mission packs went and threw this in the garbage. The Reckoning was still a pretty cool campaign but Ground Zero...:suicide:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

field balm posted:

Cool write-up, you're right about the weapons in q1, too many are not useful through the whole game. Nailgun, super-shotgun, grenade launcher, rockets, lightning gun would have been enough and pretty well balanced.

I love the way the maps are all made by different designers etc, but there is very little cohesion above the aesthetic (I have no idea if there is a plot). I really do love the lovecraftian setting. gently caress vores though.

Quake to me feels like it couldn't decide what sort of game it wanted to be, and couldn't integrate any of its pieces together very well. The seams between the sci-fi, medieval, and Lovecraftian elements are glaring and detract from the experience. The themes probably could have been integrated better (have a progression through episodes each focused on a different Quake theme, including an all-Earth episode at the very beginning, and expand the arsenal and bestiary, and tie the story into the game somehow. Doom had a similarly paper-thin story but it was reflected in the game. Phobos, Deimos, Hell, each a distinctive and different place. Quake's story has nothing to do with the actual game at all.

Oh, and some actually good and memorable weapons that are not the rocket launcher. Like a clunky, clockpunkish, definitely alien nail-shotgun to replace the SSG that does massive close-range damage (~120 like the Q2 SSG would be about right), or a living weapon made of meat and bones that shoots a swarm of flesh-eating flies (black particles), or the like.

catlord posted:

I prefer the style of Q1, but Q2 is pretty good too, though in a different way, as noted. I remember enjoying Q2 a lot, but one of the big maps... it was near the end, the power plant, I think? It was just so terrible that I ended up skipping past it. I love the industrial gothic look of Q1, part of the reason I loved UT&T as well, I wish more games would go for that style, while Q2 had a fairly generic sci-fi look to it. Nothing wrong with that, of course, I love generic sci-fi as much as the next guy, but it can lead to sort of bland levels.

The power plant is probably the lowest point of the game, but Quake 1 certainly had its share of really irritating and confusing maps (gently caress YOU PAIN MAZE), especially in Episode 4, which I've heard was basically a rejects bin of levels that weren't suitable for the earlier episodes.

Both of the first two Quakes could use a recoloring project with retouched textures and possibly new palettes, and for QII, a relighting project as well. gently caress that hi-res poo poo, just make the colors pop more. Compare Quake 1 to Hexen II, for instance (however, every aspect of Hexen II besides the rather impressive architecture and texturing sucks mountains of horse dicks).

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 18, 2013

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The real gibs looked like absolute poo poo; that probably has more to do with why they were abandoned than taste or lack thereof.

And now for some shameless self-promotion! :toot:
Also if anyone is in the mood for a Wolfenstein mod, I released an expansion pack to my ECWolf tech demo mod with 9 new huge levels (128x128 tiles instead of 64x64), a horribly deadly new enemy, and a new weapon (for a total of 8 now). If you want to try it, you can find it and the original ECWolf tech demo here. If you already have the tech demo you will need to redownload it because the xlat format changed for 1.2 and the old version won't work with it. In total both the original episode and the expansion should last you 6 hours, more if you play on skill 4 and die a lot (and on skill 4, you will).

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

RiffRaff1138 posted:

I haven't played the expansion episode yet, but I've just finished playing the original with the expansion loaded, and I've found a small problem. The expansion replaces the original episode's PLASTER1 and 2 wall textures, which means all the matching decorative walls don't match anymore.

Wow, I only made a note to myself to fix it about 6 times and forgot every single one! :doh:

Well I hope you liked it otherwise.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Energy armor pretty much breaks the game, at least in the original campaign.

Ground Zero WILL kick your rear end, though, so if you want a challenge, play that.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I cringed a bit when TotalBiscuit said "arena combat". To me the "arena" thing is a trap a lot of modern "retro" shooters fall into. Both arena shooters like Serious Sam and Painkiller, and modern military shooters, break the game up into discrete fight sequences. You enter an area, fight some dudes, a scripted bit happens, and the fight is over. The really old FPS games don't do that. There are a few setpiece battles (like Wolfenstein E4M8's opener with the horde of officers or Doom E1M6 locking you in the red key arena as a whole bunch of monster closets open up), but mostly it's just a bad guy here, a bad guy there, two bad guys over that way. Enemies are sprinkled in small groups throughout the level so whenever you're in a new area you're fighting somebody and the fights flow seamlessly into each other.

Modern shooters have to make every combat an event and do a buildup to it and all that. In an oldschool FPS a guy just jumps out behind you and shoots you without warning, or you walk around the corner and a bunch of guys start shooting, or you fire a shot and now the level is crawling with dozens of dudes searching for you, and when they find you, instead of a dramatic cutscene as they appear, they just...start shooting.

...And did they seriously infect Shadow Warrior with the texture filtering disease?

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 11, 2013

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

horse mans posted:

Hahah the chaingunner with the Doom visor replacing his head. How insanely low-effort.

That's because it's supposed to be a chaingunner before he got zombified. Same uniform, same chaingun, just...not dead.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

It only needs ZDoom actually. Sure, there there's some visual glitches around 3D floors in Hell, like some sprites from a different room seen through the ceiling -- probably because sprites are drawn last (as shown in these code review videos Zaphod posted and ZDoom's rendering of 3D floors is based on a hack of the portal system) and the mod features GLDEFS to bring additional eye candy when using GZDoom, but plain old software-rendered ZDoom was the primary target.

If your card has the shader support for it, "Software" lighting mode is the one that truly is the closest to original lighting; but it uses shader code to emulate the light diminishing "backed" in the original COLORMAP lump. (If you know GLSL, you can even edit them to replace floats by ints and then you get the same color banding effect Doom had, instead of a smooth diminishing; but still in truecolor.) The "Doom" and "Dark" lighting mode are eyeballed approximations, while "software" is algorithmically exact.

I kind of wish there'd be some sort of color degradation, like software's COLORMAP but in truecolor. I always liked how Doom kind of sort of by accident simulated how human color vision degrades as the light level decreases.

Sir AIDS posted:

Can't wait for the update that adds gore sprites from REAL dead people pictures

That was done about two years ago. It sucked, it was disturbing and gross, and everybody hated it. Part of the charm of Doom's violence is how cartoonish and unreal it is. You start adding photographic gibs to it and it just becomes creepy and distasteful.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 20, 2013

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Wadjamaloo posted:

I took his rear end out on the hardest difficulty.
First thing I do in any modern game is go with the highest difficulty, I've gotten to used to difficulties getting skewed over the years. I haven't actually played RotT on anything lower so I don't know about more enemies, but a lot of them can be massive bullet sponges at times.

I actually find many modern FPS games harder than classic ones (the original maps; with mods all bets are off). Even with Spear of Destiny on Death Incarnate, I've had fewer "HOW THE gently caress DO I SURVIVE THIS BULLSHIT?!" moments than I had playing Crysis on Easy. Hell, even Call of Duty 2 on Easy gives me more trouble than Spear of Destiny on Medium.

But then I only played Call of Duty 2 for about nine hours, and the total number of hours I've sunk into Wolfenstein could probably be measured in thousands. :v:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

LvK posted:

Also, there was ABSOLUTELY no rhyme or reason to where secrets were placed. I don't mean that there were no visual indicators, I mean that there were no rules besides "press on every single wall"

It helps to be aware of where the walls are located in space and how much volume rooms and architectural features occupy. A secret can only exist where there is space for one.

closeted republican posted:

I think it's because there's a lot more you need to take into account when playing a modern game than with classics. Games like Doom, Wolf3D, Serious Sam, and Quake look intimidating at first, but they're not that hard because the only thing you need to worry about are taking out the enemy horde and making sure you have enough ammo to take them out. There are a few environmental hazards to mix things up, but they're usually really easy to avoid. With something like Call of Duty, you not only need to keep the amount of enemies coming in check, you also need to plan a route, find a safe spot, be ready to defend the safe spot if someone tries to rush you, make sure you're have a decent automatic gun that has a fresh magazine, and check that your two weapons combined can deal with enemies at any range in case of something like an RPG guy suddenly appearing from a distance. There are a lot of non-enemy-related factors that can gently caress you up, which means you have more chances to die. With the classics, the only non-enemy factors you have to deal with in combat is "do I have enough ammo to deal with the enemies" and "I should avoid the environmental hazards nearby".

In Crysis, you have a shitload of things like where enemies are, their patrol routes, what power you want to use, how to use the power, a plan B in case things go south, where items are, and where the objective is. If you misjudge one of them, your plan falls into pieces and usually ends up with you either rushing as a last stand or huddling somewhere with cloak on until the enemies pass.

True, and I think the graphics also help. Paradoxically, as graphical fidelity improves it seems to get harder and harder to actually see anything. If an SS in Wolfenstein is preparing to fire I can spot his attack animation instantly and take cover before he opens up. The Norks in Crysis might be extravagantly modeled and detailed but in the heat of combat they're vaguely humanoid blobs barely distinguishable from the cluttered, busy scenery that I have to track and carefully put a rear aperture over (or in the case of the SCAR, the absolute worst open sights ever).

And speaking of Wolfenstein, I recently ported Brian Rowan's amazing Wolfenstein 3D TC Project Totengraeber to ECWolf so you don't have to put up with lovely controls anymore!
http://diehardwolfers.areyep.com/viewtopic.php?t=6763&sid=bf7263800a04f9840346a30a4ec0f517

You should play Project Totengraeber because it is awesome. It's 13 years old and still as fresh as the day it came out. With 48 levels and no episode breaks, though, it can get a bit repetitive towards the end due to its sheer length.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 15, 2014

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

That's nothing compared to the shotgun whose altfire causes a rain of shell casing confetti to the tune of the 1812 Overture.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Bouchacha posted:

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Revenant
"When a revenant is within 196 units of its target, it will resort to its punching attack, unless attacked and hurt, where it counter-attacks with a missile."

Not sure how this works out

I think Doom monsters always prefer their ranged attack over their melee when countering after being hit, regardless of distance.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

catlord posted:

I was thinking maps for Doom, or Quake, or Duke or something (I've apparently forgot about all the obvious ones :downs:). Quake has a bunch of Egypt themed maps, and Doom has Epic2 (and a handful of others), and there's a lot of Medieval styles maps, and I'm certain I've seen Greco-Roman styles too, but a Middle Eastern style theme seems oddly missing.

Middle Eastern architecture (well the Arabian Nights theme park version) is heavily dependent on arches, round towers, and other architectural elements that are difficult or impossible to replicate in an old 2.5D engine, and intricate decorations that can't be put onto a 64x64 texture. Generifantasy, Groman, Egyptian, and Mesoamerican styles lend themselves much beter to low polycounts and blocky architecture.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Perhaps, but considering no texture packs exist for such a theme that I know of it would be a tremendous amount of work. And even then, making an Arabic-style arch would be an incredible challenge, requiring sloped 3D floors and with no room for error.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

That looks absolutely amazing.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

DirectQ was a great no-nonsense singleplayer port but development seems to have gone tits up now.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I've seen the texture streaming thing in Unreal Engine 3 games (all of them) too despite UE3 not having megatexturing. Unreal Tournament III was the first game I saw that had it. I don't understand why UE3 can't display textures immediately like every other engine ever. At least Id Tech 5 has megatexturing, what's UE3's excuse?

As for modding, the standards of fidelity in modern action games produce a huge barrier to entry for modders no matter how good the tools and support are. The '90s were the golden age of modding because the engines were technically simple and amateurs could produce high-quality content on their own, not because of wonderful mod tools and developer support (Wolfenstein probably has the largest number of custom levels of any FPS ever, and all of its modding tools, even modern ones, are terrible). A competent designer with a clear vision can make a vanilla no-frills Wolfenstein map in a couple of hours. For every advancement in technology in FPS games afterwards, the amount of human labor required to make anything increases exponentially.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 31, 2014

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The other problem is that different setups sound better for different games.
But it's still worth it because the default Microsoft GS Synth sucks badly and is often missing instrumentation.

You can't really go wrong with the Roland SC-55, since a lot of '90s PC game music was written on an SC-55 and music played on a different sound set can sound poorly mixed or unbalanced. The Microsoft GS synth is a terrible, terrible imitation of an SC-55. You can find much better approximations as soundfonts on the internet. You really have to try various sound sets on and see what you like or don't like, but for babby's first soundfont for someone new to trying to spice up midi listening, an emulation of the SC-55 works decently with everything and would be my recommendation.

The guitars suck even by midi guitar standards though.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 31, 2014

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Colon Semicolon posted:

I dunno man that stuff is handled natively by alot of the programs kids end up using like Zbrush and then texture tools like Ddo (which is now free) can make good base textures you can screw around with in no time.

Like, a good character can take a month, a simple gun a week, so on and so forth. taking a cursory glance at Polycount (one of the main hubs for modellers for games that STARTED with Quake 2 and UT modding) shows that even a typical 16 year old can figure out hard surface modelling and churn out AK-47s and combat knives to their heart's content. That's the same thing that was happening back then too! (why is that still a thing?! Why only those two things???)

So while yes, it is TECHNICALLY easier to make content for old games because the fidelity was lower, even back then it was hard to match what the big guys were doing with the limited tools we had. The only real bad spot was the point of UT3's release where the tools were simply not that great for the level of quality needed to make something look good. That was the biggest mess ever!

Even if I take what you said at face value, a good character can take a month? Do you know how much you can do in a 2.5D engine in a month if you're dedicated? You could make 30 Wolfenstein maps in a month.

Besides, even if hard surface modeling might be relatively easy, a game is not a pile of guns and knives, there's level design and writing and programming and audio design and voice acting and testing and debugging (massively harder in today's more complex engines, and you have more bugs to fix), and all sorts of poo poo that piles on way too many man-hours for an amateur or a small group of amateurs to even contemplate making quality single-player content.

Also character modeling is in an entirely different universe from mechanical modeling and I suspect that most people's attempts are going to be as awful as the "enhanced" Alyx models in FakeFactory's Cinematic mod.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 1, 2014

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Overbite posted:

So here's a kind of dumb question!

I like how the PS1 version of Quake 2 looks because it's sharper and has more colors. The PC version is too brown and orange and blurry. Is there a mod or source port that can make it look like the PS1 version? I could just play that one but the controls make it impossible.

The "blurry" effect is bilinear texture filtering. A slightly more advanced version, trilinear filtering, is standard in most modern games, but only works well with high-resolution textures. Quake II's textures are way too small to look decent with it on. You can disable it with the console command "gl_texturemode GL_NEAREST". Also some source ports have an intensity setting for colored lights. I set it to 0.5 for a much more subdued look.

Now old 3DFX cards (Voodoo and Voodoo2) actually made your screen blurry due to the Voodoo output pipeline but those cards have been obsolete for around 15 years.

What Quake II really, really needs, though, is for someone to re-light all the levels and distribute the .lit files as a pack.

That "remake" for Quake IV looks like total rear end, it's even worse than the original running Berserker@quake2.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 5, 2014

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The one that makes them rain from the sky while the 1812 Overture plays is better. I burst into uncontrollable laughter when I first saw that.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

TerminusEst13 posted:

Doom II Reloaded, which I'm irrationally fond of.

http://www.whatisblueandfurry.com/eschdoom/d2r.html

I played the first two maps of this and I am not impressed at all.

This is how not to design a Doom level. No flow, no connectivity, no interesting fights, just a slog through repetitive square corridors and box rooms with copypaste detail.

Also the music on MAP02 is incredibly obnoxious.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 13, 2014

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Prenton posted:

I ran out of patience with it as well. I finally finished it, died after killing the boss, and the ending played anyway. Which I thought was strangely apt given how fed up I was at it.

That always happens in Doom II. If the boss brain blows, you win even if you're dead. I first learned this by watching a speed run where the player jumped into the explosion. I burst out laughing.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

A lot of those bad design decisions are driven by the communities. I remember on the Quake Live forums there was a big thread for "recommended" game settings to put into a config file and one of the settings basically disabled texturing by LODing all the textures into blank expanses of flat colors. Another disabled most of the lighting. These people are insufferable shitheels normal people don't want to engage with, and will quickly displace normal people in places that they colonize.

In other news, a map layout from my upcoming ECWolf mod Operation Serpent. This is all one map, split into four quadrants joined by elevators.

And inside a cavern full of lava.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 21, 2014

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

There's an unbelievable number of Wolfenstein 3D maps out there. Any Wolfenstein mod that does not use a custom exe can now be loaded in ECWolf by dumping its data files into a pk3, IIRC. With TCs that do use a custom exe, you'll have to convert it yourself, if possible. I recommend B.J. Rowan's Project Totengraeber as an introduction to Wolfenstein mods, which I ported to ECWolf in January. It was made in 1999-2000 and even today has some of the best Wolfenstein maps I've ever played (48 maps continuously, no episodes).

As for Operation Serpent, I'm taking a very different approach to any map sets I've made before in that each map is a self-contained idea built around a central concept, and absolutely gigantic in scale. That map has 458 enemies (the original engine's maximum was 149) and takes about an hour to complete. Operation Serpent First Encounter has eight maps (seven are now complete, the eighth will just be a stub map with the boss) and will hopefully be released Q4 2014 (if the music is finished on time). Those eight maps provide about as much gameplay as 30 normal Wolfenstein maps.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Considering that the mapping is 95% complete, it does indeed have a chance of actually coming out. The thing's almost done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Tiger Schwert posted:

I feel like there's a sentence or two missing before that last one. I find it very strange to go from "these people are so dedicated to this game that they will squeeze every last drop of performance and visual clarity that they can" to "insufferable shitheels" without some intermediate logic.

Dude, it's Quake III Arena, it's run at a steady 60+ FPS on any decent computer for around 12 years. What they're doing is wringing the actual visual design out of the game so they don't have to look at anything other than featureless enclosures for identical glowing generic players, instead of the varied and interesting environments, moody lighting, and weird and wonderful cast of characters Quake III Arena was meant to have. If you tweak it the "correct" way, there are no textures, no lighting, no characters (all players use a single model glowing in neon colors), and a ridiculously wide fisheye FOV.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 21, 2014