Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Today we will discuss the Seven. Open your copies of Clash of Kings to page 173 and let's begin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Ffs, I really liked Nightflyers. I mostly watched it because some dumbass on a 40k reddit said it was inspired by a wargame far younger than the novella, and I definitely can see why said redditor interpreted it that way; there's a psyker, the ship is haunted, and they're in deep space to meet an utterly inhuman intelligence.

It was a cool little show.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Ccs posted:

Is the first season a complete story or is it now a cliffhanger that will never be resolved?

It ended on a cliffy, yeah.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

It's pretty unobservant of the producers not to see "dany dies, reviled by the people" coming from miles away.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Terrible things become normalized. People react to my posts as if they were not normalized, therefore they are not terrible.

Hate is love. War is peace.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I take grim solace that at the inevitable death of the universe, as everything collapses back into itself, as temperatures become so high at every point within our entire potential space that atoms themselves fly apart into constituent subatomics and then into pure energy, that these books themselves will cease to be and no one will ever again be mad at the absolute fucker.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Did Arya viciously blind-fight 25+ thugs in the stairwell of a ten-storey apartment complex? No? Guess she shoulda been a lawyer.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

We've been reading LOTR to our baby so he's hearing us say more things than just "you're very handsome" and "did you just poop?". First time I've actually forced my way past the Barrows or whatever and gotta say, it's not bad.

I cannot stop laughing at the passage where Gimli gets extremely depressed thinking about how he thought having to fight people in dungeons was going to be the worst part of the journey but it turns out it sucks a lot more to sleepover in Lothlorien and have to leave lmfaooo

I do genuinely enjoy how Gimli transforms from a pretty bigoted shithead into seeing the beauty of the world beyond mountains and stone, and cherishing these people he grew up hating for how different they are to him. It's the low-key best thing.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Depending on how you view the eponymous character, there's the Acts of Caine :v:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

I just got it on Kindle because it’s $2 at the moment. Your username and maybe some of your earlier posts kind of influenced my desire to read it.

I really do hope you like it. Stover's work is electric, and I wish so badly for the guy to be able to write more instead of, like, being a bug exterminator in Ft. Lauderdale or whatever the gently caress he does to make ends meet.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

His accent is irrelevant; his most famous role is him dubbed by Peter Serafinowicz, after all. Just do that again.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Steven Erikson's A Songbook of Ice and Fire: Book 12: The Iron Price

Not a woman, but I'd rather Erikson do the series than GRRM.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Drone Jett posted:

Any man under 6’1” is short.

You're goddamn right they are. loving manlets.

Also, from my perspective, Gwendoline's not terribly tall.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Sanderson is a great hire to really flesh out the blood magic system.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's a reason why King's fanbase gave him years of slack over Dark Tower. He repeatedly said "I just don't know where it's going from here" and people accepted that, on average.

If Wastelands had ended with a "Meanwhile in New York..." I bet he also would have been torn to shreds.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

JRR Tolkien did world building better than anyone else probably because he spent decades of his life carefully crafting it and then wrote some stories in it.

And his middle-earth background is sketchy enough that when people do youtube videos about the mythology, there's a lot of "presumably" and "sometime around here" because the Silmarillion sometimes just says "this happened after X but before Y" with X and Y a century or three apart.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Tolkien also had a much better handle on was/wasn't relevant to his narrative, and that includes weird elbows like Bombadil and the appendices.

I feel like a modern author would have had Bombadil be like Poochy, where he gets mentioned repeatedly and shows up to save the day because the author was in love with his weird character.

As is, he's just this strange forest spirit guy who I think got retooled into Treebeard but wasn't also eliminated from the story. He's an appendix, if a neat one who implies by existence that there's powerful magical beings in the world who don't really give a poo poo about Sauron.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

that alternate ending to Quantum Leap that was discovered a few years back.

Oh? Like a whole different episode or just "Sam leaps home"?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Goddamn.

I prefer the ending we got, I think. The idea that Sam finally gains conscious control over the leaps and just decides that leaping forever is the best use of his life, that's a satisfying ending rather than "now there's a third person flapping about in time."

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

SeaborneClink posted:

There's a second (mildly nsfw (words) trailer) now.

No, that's the disgusting ripoff of this threads magnum opus, which is located on Smashwords.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

What if, and

Pardonez-moi ma français,

Le GRRM est un fuckeur absolut?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I read the entire mainline Malazan series, and it took so long to come out (but at least it did) that the cover styles changed three times during the run.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Ccs posted:

I read that certain characters in Malazan were created to help the story along as opposed to being "organically created through the role playing game" and the author always wanted to kill off those characters so he could get back to the "organic" ones

Lol, I'm assuming that's folks like the Master of the Deck and the Adjudant, whereas Erikson probably wanted to just focus on Fiddler.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I think even Stephen King periodically got pinged by his publisher about a new Dark Tower after the Wastelands and then Wizard & Glass. And that dude was still pumping out books the whole time.

The monkey's paw did finish that series, however.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Humanity will be extinct before that book comes out.

I promise. :black101:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

banned from Starbucks posted:

Theres a new update from JeffoYP saying hes got a lawyer helping work on the transfer

It better be the Legal Eagle guy, so we get a fun video about the whole bizarre history of this site.

Also, I originally wrote Kegal Eagle which is a very different advice channel.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

esperterra posted:

which gulag do y'all wanna send him to? we should choose wisely

He's already in New Mexico.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I am always here.

It's wild just how much time has passed since the days of Ser Pound, Clegane PI, and crawling A_H's posting history to find his turbo-cringe self-pubs and even cringier admissions of rape. Like goddamn, I'm a respected professional in a field I didn't even know existed back then, Kylaer's had his medical license revoked seven times (except Delaware, those fuckers couldn't prove malicious intent), Tony Danza Claus led the Pedocaust which cleansed reddit of sex pests for ~0.125 seconds, and Jeffrey owns this forum now.

We've come a long, long way, cuties.