Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

kcroy posted:

holy poo poo,
well it's announced. Preorders available on amazon. August 2016 - can they really get to print that fast? I guess that polish guy was right. When does S6 end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

CaptainRightful posted:

I've been binge watching all of the preceding seasons to prepare for the new one, and Season 4 was by far the best. Now I'm halfway through Season 5 and it's even worse than I remembered. Every Meereen scene is unbearably lovely, so at least it's faithful to the books in that regard.

It really is so much worse that S4. Dorne is the lowpoint, but their treatment of Stannis is pretty loving far up there too.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I liked the stuff in the North. The rest was all over the place.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Bemis posted:

I was referring to the guy on foot, but afaik it is still possible to use a shield and weapon on horseback?
I also liked the one guy dismounting after he knocked Brienne off her horse. Gotta keep things fair.
I realise it is just fiction but the characters are operating in a nonsensical fashion.

That was about the guy being cocky and wanting to beat a woman. That's why the next guy stayed on his horse.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Bad Thread Retrospective: What would GRRM do if he found the SA forums?

Well now.

That's awful.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Of course Tolkien wins and of course it's cringey as gently caress. He'd hate that, even though he definitely deserves the victory.

SirKibbles posted:

You know drat well they just forgot her never getting cold was a thing.

There's plenty of actually dumb things to mock about the show, there's no need to make things up. This is pretty clearly them following up on her losing faith.

Cavelcade fucked around with this message at 11:52 on May 4, 2016

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Fargo Fukes posted:

Really loving terrible song lyrics are Tolkien as gently caress though.

Misty Mountains Cold is a great song and I will fight you about this.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

kcroy posted:

Seriously this. He's no loving tolkien who wrote entire languages for backstory. GRRM doesn't work that way. I'd be very surprised if he worked out the distances of any battles from each other. I mean it would be cool if the backstory was that rich, but IMO there is a certain resolution ( like in terms of pixels ) and zooming in past a certain point doesn't get you anything.

What's a decent size wall? LIke, 30 ft is a big wall. How big is that? gently caress it, 500 ft is definitely big, no-one can say it ain't.

How big is a big dude? Like 6'6"? How about like, the BIGGEST dude? 7'? Okay sure yeah but instead what about an 8' guy yeah that's awesome.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Andre was probably around 7'. Yao Ming is 7'6" which is ridiculously gigantic already but GRRM went for 8'. I know there have been 8' people but I think it was him not really having a grasp on numbers and heights and taking wrestlers' listed heights at face value.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Hogge Wild posted:

Here's Väinö Myllyrinne when he was touring Europe as a wrestler in the thirties:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8tlAiaYfQ4

In this pic he's serving as a conscript in the Heavy Artillery Regiment when he was 20 years old and just 7'4":

He worked in a grenade factory where he used to carry 80kg oxygen canisters in both hands.

Yes, maybe GRRM should have made him half a foot smaller and then it wouldn't be amusing. Like, on its own it'd be fine but GRRM is just awful at numbers and knowing how big things are.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Smiling Jack posted:

is it out yet

Yes, and it will blow your mind.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Hogge Wild posted:

I also always thought that they did some backstabbing to kill Arthur Dayne. And I don't think that Ned was supposed to one of the greatest swordsmen.

Has there been any good duels after the first season? drat I liked Bronn's duel in the Vale.

Hound and Brienne was an awesome duel. I want more Hound fights, so Cleganebowl please.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'll be happy if ends up being a medieval version of the fight scene between Piper and Davis in They Live.

"I'm giving you a choice: either put on this fire or start eatin' that greatsword."

CaptainRightful posted:

It's not to make them more intense, it's to hide the fact that the actors are terrible at fighting. This is why Jackie Chan fight scenes are a million times better than all others.

Every frame a painting is my favourite YouTube series. :allears:

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Looking back at the Brienne-Hound fight, the sword part is okay but not great but the brawl is pretty vicious.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Well, I've never been more hype.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

This chapter felt like knock-off Lord of the Rings. Describing nature with a checklist but not actually caring about it. Disappointing.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

CountFosco posted:

I liked the chapter overall, although it wasn't great. I enjoyed the exploration of the terrain, I enjoyed the sense of being on a spy mission, I found it an interesting look at the golden company, I liked the cavern exploration (actually wish there was a bit more of consequence there). In terms of moving the story along, we hear about an army from King's Landing coming to meet (f)Aegon, that's something. I didn't like the bit where the young sand snake was fooling around with Feather, felt a bit easy and cheap. Some of the writing felt a bit easy overall. I'd give it a C+. It's not -that- bad people.

A C+ isn't awful, but I don't want to read a C+ story and the way this chapter was written doesn't make me optimistic. There's no need for so much of it, and even worse than that, it's boring. It should just have started in the castle or with them meeting Mudd and Chain. .

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Evil Fluffy posted:

He also came back to life with gaping wounds that weren't bleeding. Sure a bunch of this stuff can be chalked up to bad writers but there's also plenty of speculation that a side-effect of his revival is that the magic keeps him from getting cold, similar to Melissandre's ability.

I assumed that as well.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

This episode was very good, even the king's landing stuff. I hope they don't actually kill all the poor, though.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

DANY
Well, I was wrong. The Sparrows are a godsend.

TYRION
But isn't that a bit short-sighted? What happens when we're overrun by Sparrows?

DANY
No problem. We simply unleash wave after wave of Tyrell armed guards. They'll wipe out the Sparrows.

TYRION
But aren't the Tyrells even worse?

DANY
Yes, but we're prepared for that. We've lined up a fabulous type of Dothraki that thrives on Tyrell meat.

TYRION
But then we're stuck with Dothraki!

DANY
No, that's the beautiful part. When wintertime rolls around, the Dothraki simply freeze to death.

Tahirovic posted:

Because no man can kill him. "I am not a man."

Not sure, might have seen that before in an other average adaption of a beautiful book.

Man don't be like that. The movies made some mistakes but they're excellent movies.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

But what is The Good Thread?

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Tahirovic posted:

Ok you're right, it's unfair because the books were way better.

Yeah alright. That's why the first movie is the best, they had the most time to revise it to be closer to the books.

Tahirovic posted:

People say the last episode was good because things actually happened, but really Dany is back to where she started in like book 2? I got the feeling everyone's simply happy because it showed some tits.
It was an above average episode, but that's mostly because the bar is so low these days.

Things happened in every place the episode visited, most of which opened the door to push the plot to a conclusion rather than push it further out. The action was solid. The emotional payoff was good and Dany got her tits out. It was good tv.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

MrSlam posted:

I've heard it said that he lurks the asoiaf forums, takes the theories that sound interesting to him, and fudges it to fit his master-theory. If true, it goes along with his outright refusal to credit the artists of the images in his videos (unless the artist contacts him, thnx artists).

What is his master theory?

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Let's be fair, those nerds were really just upset that Rey was a woman. Which is part of the problem with the modern use of Mary Sue; it's become shorthand for "I don't like this female character, most likely because I'm a colossal baby who can't enjoy fiction unless it's about a male, which I also am." Like, sure, she's a nobody from some backwater hellhole who goes on an adventure and triumphs over a powerful evil with hardly any training but I also literally just described Anakin and Luke's first adventures. Nerds got pissed because she's got a vag, not because of anything that goes on in the movie.

Much of the same group were also upset that Finn was an urban feral Dindu, too.

Luke's first adventure was successful because he only had to use the force in the most basic way - listen to his instincts of when to shoot. The problem I have with Rey is that she knows how to do all this stuff like Jedi-mind-control and everything. Maybe it will be explained in the next movie, but the girl who has all the powers having all the powers isn't that interesting to me. Her emotional story was pretty alright though.

Finn was great fun.

As for GRRM, Dany isn't really a Mary Sue, I don't think. Especially in books 4 and 5 where she starts royally screwing the pooch but even before then. No, Tyrion is close though, with his reality-bending ability to be good at combat in ways like "sticking the spike of my helmet up into this horse kills it and let's me kill this knight yes this makes sense and is good and cool" just like :laffo:

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

so what do you guys think about the new star wars

- no one

e: raaaawr I'm angry and it will take all the lemons in dorne to calm me

Have a cask of the finest Arbor gold.

Also yeah I think it's okay to be unimpressed by Rey's weird power having (which, again, might be explained in later movies) without hating everything about her or being labeled an MRA.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Ser Gregor and the Hound.

Get hype.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

AtAt-de-fay posted:

"Hold the door" is right up there with "Swing away, Merrill" from M. Night Shyamalan's Signs. Meaning not very good.

"Hold the door" was dumb, but I thought the scene of him holding the door was good. I'm loving pissed they killed Summer though. Dick off, why do they hate everything cool?

The rest of the episode was very good, I'm looking forward to Sansa, Warrior Princess!

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Evil Fluffy posted:

The elves (Celebrimbor) in Middle Earth are responsible for creating the rings of power with Sauron so "noble elves create horrific means of world destruction" isn't entirely new either.

Actually, Sauron is responsible for the rings of power, as he is the one who gave Kelly-B the knowledge of how to create them and was involved directly with the ones that men and dwarves ended up with. Furthermore they were never intended as means if destruction but domination, very different end goals.
:goonsay:

I'm fine with Little finger because he got told and it was satisfying.

Cavelcade fucked around with this message at 09:20 on May 23, 2016

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

The Greyjoys are awful anyway, so this is fine.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Well yeah there was literally one chapter of Sam in oldtown and he spends half of it dozing in a waiting room while a clerk expects to get bribed.

God, the Sam storyline was one of the loving worst in AFFC.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

davecrazy posted:

Winter comes with the Others and they haven't moved south yet. Owned.

Your mom only comes with the Others that's what all 13 of them are doing.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Syncopated posted:

His mom is like your girlfriend then, in that they only come with others.

Not since I got her her favourite toy.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Um, no, Nat is definitely a bunny not an insect. It is known.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Those are the exact opposite of her facial proportions, you face blind furry goonlord.

Are you saying the internet has lied to me?

Who am I to trust? You're all Littlefinger, dammit.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Subvisual Haze posted:

Nah I don't see this at all. Margaery is kind and relatable so of course GRRM has a horrible fate set up for her. Cersei is also effectively plot-unkillable until Tommen kicks the bucket.

People complain about certain characters having plot armor but I'm surprised I haven't seen that complaint lodged more at Cersei. She stupid, vain, paranoid, vengeful, has spent the entire series making enemies out of everyone she meets and constantly makes terrible decisions. It's more the intertia of the "your kids have to die before you" prophecy that keeps her trucking along making the lives of everyone around her miserable. Sure she had her walk of shame, but on the show she was back to manipulating Tommen and the Tyrells almost immediately, and in the book the timely death of Kevan will get her right back in the seat of power after a couple chapters of being sidelined.

Varys has a hand in keeping her alive and in power - he wants her ineptitude to be front and centre when the glorious saviour rides in.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

The show's fine. It's got enough going on to be interesting and half of it is really well filmed (and half of it is filmed badly, like the Margaery and Tommen scene in the sept was just badly cut together). The fighting is mostly good with some really bad fights and some really cool ones. I dunno, I think the only reason to hate it is if you don't like shows about bad people or hate GRRM for giving you eternal blue balls.

Or you only saw season 5 and judge the show based on that in which case you'd probably hate it and everyone who watches it.

Blind Sally posted:

it's goofy as gently caress most of the time, has a lot of dull sections that drag on, and only occasionally has a moment that's genuinely awesome (e.g., Hardhome). i genuinely enjoyed the first couple seasons, but at this point it's definitely a just a fun way to kill time on a Sunday night. i'm not hate-watching it, but i'm always a little surprised whenever i meet someone who still believes it's the most well-written, deep, and well-executed television masterpiece to ever grace HBO.

Arcsquad12 posted:

But that's not true as long as band of brothers and the Pacific exist. Gotta give HBO credit those two shows are down right amazing

I mean The Wire still exists and was aired by HBO so...

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

syscall girl posted:

"there aren't many things done unintentionally in game of thrones"

I mean he had to actually type each word out manually so technically that quote is accurate.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

This was the best episode of the season so far. Young Mormont is best Mormont, vengeance Hound is best Hound.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Lycus posted:

Well, the scene in the Season 5 finale was either a discontinuity, or a sign that the show's Faceless Men can make masks of living HB&W members.

It's all bullshit magic, so I don't really give a poo poo, as long as it's stated.

Another possibility is something along the lines of the waif's face was from someone who was dead and so is Jaqen, and once the many faced God trusts you enough (or whatever) you don't have to physically take the masks from the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Lycus posted:

Wasn't Arya one of the faces in that scene?

Arya's been dead the whole time.

Was it ? I really didn't pay attention that season because it was awful.