Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Dropped $100 on it. Might sound a lot, but I picked up AP second hand for 5 dollars so all up, I'm getting two games for $52.50 a pop, one of which I've gotten 6 playthroughs out of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So here's my dilemma. I'm interested in the dev design notes, but very little else. Do I really need to fork down $74 just for that aspect?

I'd really prefer if they'd make a website where I put down a budget and can assemble my own package with them determining that reward X would cost you $5 extra and so on.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

double nine posted:

So here's my dilemma. I'm interested in the dev design notes, but very little else. Do I really need to fork down $74 just for that aspect?

I'd really prefer if they'd make a website where I put down a budget and can assemble my own package with them determining that reward X would cost you $5 extra and so on.

They sort of did that for Pillars of Eternity once the kickstarter for that ended, so you could always just wait and see.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Am I reading that right that it is basically The Banner Saga: Alpha Protocol: The Gathering?

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Is Obsidian involved in this, other than having Chris Avellone as a stretch goal?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

double nine posted:

You have 30 days, just follow it and see how their updates pan out.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Munin posted:

You have 30 days, just follow it and see how their updates pan out.

I intend to, just wanted to fume my annoyance.

edit: "annoyance" is a bit strong. Mild irritation is quite apt.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Sam. posted:

Is Obsidian involved in this, other than having Chris Avellone as a stretch goal?

Obsidian isn't involved at all.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Saw a youtube video once, now I can't find it.

It's when you taunt Albatross after killing sis. Mike is as sarcastic as possible.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Golden Bee posted:

It's when you taunt Albatross after killing sis. Mike is as sarcastic as possible.
My hand slipped while making that choice on my first play through. Felt bad, then felt worse when that conversation came up. I wound up going back to a previous save. :(

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Golden Bee posted:

Was it by any chance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf3q_hVEnIA&t=563s?

The entire video is pro-click, its a compilation of all the ways you can be a dick in conversations.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Tendronai posted:

The entire video is pro-click, its a compilation of all the ways you can be a dick in conversations.

Holy poo poo at Maddison knocking the poo poo outta Thornton :magical:

Never had that happen. I really need to replay this and be the biggest rear end in a top hat ever.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Fathis Munk posted:

Never had that happen. I really need to replay this and be the biggest rear end in a top hat ever.

I gave up halfway through. Mike rear end in a top hat is a dick.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Fathis Munk posted:

I was going to point out that SIE is mysteriously absent in that video, but then I remembered that she enjoys Mike trying to act tough so I guess it wouldn't be the same :v:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Two Finger posted:

Dropped $100 on it. Might sound a lot, but I picked up AP second hand for 5 dollars so all up, I'm getting two games for $52.50 a pop, one of which I've gotten 6 playthroughs out of.

The math checks out.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
So I started playing this totally blind except aware that goons love it and everyone else hates it, and I'm getting the feeling that pistols/tech might be slightly overpowered.

Chain shot -> everyone dies -> Brilliance -> Chain shot again. Even bosses go down instantly.

Stealth on the other hand I can't get to work. Enemies randomly zoom into my position even if I'm being quiet, sometimes I feel like they see me through walls.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
What armor are you using? Early on even the stealth armor isn't as quiet as your street clothes, but you said you have chain shot and brilliance so unless you have a bunch of armor mods that add noise that shouldn't be an issue anymore.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Also keep in mind Stealth is meant to be used offensively, AP is not a game really meant for pure ghosting.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Thoughtless posted:

So I started playing this totally blind except aware that goons love it and everyone else hates it, and I'm getting the feeling that pistols/tech might be slightly overpowered.

Chain shot -> everyone dies -> Brilliance -> Chain shot again. Even bosses go down instantly.

Stealth on the other hand I can't get to work. Enemies randomly zoom into my position even if I'm being quiet, sometimes I feel like they see me through walls.

Yes, pistols are op as gently caress. Just sitting in cover while waiting for the crit shot to line up and popping heads at dozens of meters distance is bad enough but chainshot turns it into something else.

Regarding stealth, just wait 'til you can turn completely invisible :getin:

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Yeah I prefer stealth runs in my street clothes, at least till the 2nd or 3rd tier of armours. It's that noise they're noticing.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Tendronai posted:

What armor are you using? Early on even the stealth armor isn't as quiet as your street clothes, but you said you have chain shot and brilliance so unless you have a bunch of armor mods that add noise that shouldn't be an issue anymore.

I never did bother upgrading my armor, but now that I think of it I remember some of them being noiser than others. I'll try getting something stealthier, thanks.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Scorchy posted:

Yeah I prefer stealth runs in my street clothes, at least till the 2nd or 3rd tier of armours. It's that noise they're noticing.

Yes, the ultimate stealth armor is actually just street clothes, they make the least noise of anything. Then if you're spotted, chain shot means it doesn't even matter.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
As others have mentioned though, the point of stealth is to get into a position where you can take out your opponents one by one, whether with close quarters takedowns or pistol shots. It's not so that you can sneak past all of them without anyone noticing and without harming anyone.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
On the other hand you can become completely silent and invisible and sprint around levels karate chopping and muay thai kneeing everyone to death.

If you do want to go non-lethal, I would recommend shotgun blasts to center mass followed by stomping on their downed bodies.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Basically, the Sound Dampening stat of your armour is the most crucial aspect of stealth. With a low SD enemies will be able to hear you from quite a distance. Street clothes and the second tier stealth armour have an SD of 5, which means they're completely silent as long as you stay crouched. Interestingly enough, the Advanced Stealth Armour has an SD of 6, which makes it completely silent even when you're walking. Buy it as soon as possible and enjoy never having to crouchwalk again.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Crappy Jack posted:

Yes, the ultimate stealth armor is actually just street clothes, they make the least noise of anything. Then if you're spotted, chain shot means it doesn't even matter.
I thought the $100k stealth armor had something like a negative sound/visibility modifier?

Of course, since Omen Deng says you stick out like a sore thumb, I find myself using the civilian clothes almost all the time anyway :v:

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

I have a plot question. I gave President Sung the data proving that he was going to be assassinated, yet he died anyway. Completely dumbfounded I figured that I did something wrong, but apparently that is supposed to stop him from dying. Is that the result of something else I did or is it a bug? If it isn't a bug I'm drat impressed by how interconnected every choice in this game is.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
Are you sure you didn't save the riot data instead? That choice should be the only thing that determines whether he dies or whether he lives and the riots happen. I've never heard of that choice being buggy. Did Sung tell you he was going to wear a vest when you met him?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Tendronai posted:

Psh, paling up with Brayko and letting him do his thing is the only proper way to go about that stuff. Dude is awesome. :colbert:

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Your bodyguard is busy winning gold medal in dying.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Hannibal Smith posted:

Are you sure you didn't save the riot data instead? That choice should be the only thing that determines whether he dies or whether he lives and the riots happen. I've never heard of that choice being buggy. Did Sung tell you he was going to wear a vest when you met him?

He died AND the riots started. I remember Mike telling him to wear armor but he kinda brushed it off, so maybe I just made a bad impression.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Thoughtless posted:

He died AND the riots started. I remember Mike telling him to wear armor but he kinda brushed it off, so maybe I just made a bad impression.

If that's actually possible without bugs, holy poo poo.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, the only story bug I remember is sneaking through the roof in the embassy in Moscow makes the game think you gunned down all the guards.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, the only story bug I remember is sneaking through the roof in the embassy in Moscow makes the game think you gunned down all the guards.

Speaking of this, is there a way to actually avoid it?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Thoughtless posted:

Yes. Don't sneak in through the roof at the embassy. That's the only way to avoid the bug, though. This ironically makes walking through the front door the stealthier approach.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 26, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Thoughtless posted:

Bluff past the guard at the front door, aggressive and veteran both work.

Not spoilering it, because Thoughtless should know about it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
You can have a friendly chat with the door guard and he just lets you in, which I think is a sweet moment. The bug kicks in if you go out onto the roof from inside as well, if you open a door upstairs in the embassy and it goes outside, back away immediately.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Don't you have to be tooled up with heavy armour for the front guard to let you in?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Fil5000 posted:

Don't you have to be tooled up with heavy armour for the front guard to let you in?

If I remember right, you can just walk in wearing civilian clothes if it hasn't been staffed by marines. If there ARE marines though, you can wear combat armor and pretend you're back up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Deltasquid posted:

If I remember right, you can just walk in wearing civilian clothes if it hasn't been staffed by marines. If there ARE marines though, you can wear combat armor and pretend you're back up?

Yeah, the marine will comment about the extra weight being called in. It makes that entire mission a piece of piss.

• Locked thread