Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Ahahahahahaha holy poo poo!!!!

"You DID already give me the evidence."
"I did? I thought I gave you one of my mines." :smug:

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

vyelkin posted:

In a game full of incredible moments and great lines, I think this is my favourite. It took me totally by surprise when I first saw it, too. In fact if I were you I would put that in spoiler tags just in case someone reading this thread has never seen that ending.

That was the reason I put it up completely without context, but fair enough, I'll edit it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Wow, I was ABSOLUTELY convinced that Marburg was played by Paul Giamatti (he sounds almost exactly the same as Giamatti does in Shoot 'em Up) and no, it's not him at all. Just the right amount of sleaze in his voice, though.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Someone once said something about a dialogue tree where Mike describes himself as a hobo, is this true?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

I don't recall anything like this, closest thing I can think of is the fact that a while back I used to suggest that people do a playthrough where they RP'd Thorton as a crazy homeless guy who was mistakenly drugged up and taken to the Greybox instead of the actual Mike Thorton, but proceeds to go along with the spy poo poo anyway, yells at everybody all the time and smashes faces in whenever possible. Lumberjack beard, of course.

That was probably it. drat. I was really hoping that the game would include some insane off-the-wall poo poo like that.

Also just got my Youth Trumps Experience achievement. Goddamn Thorton is stone cold on that conversation, calls the old bastard on all his bullshit.

"I will END you, Thorton."

No you won't, bitch, Fury, Iron Will, pulled your skull right out of your head and beat you to death with it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

360 mate. I have Thorton Inc. I got it completely by accident, I glanced at the description and went 'gently caress that looks hard', then when I finished that playthrough, I got it! Go me.

Also, another fantastic line:
"If China prepares for war, the US prepares for war."

"And we rename egg rolls - free rolls."

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

No, that's Thorton and Leland.

As an aside, it's probably a coincidence that Leland shares a name with the antagonist of Needful Things, but they do more or less the same thing - jack up tensions for their own profit.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I just want to say again how much I absolutely loved Alpha Protocol.
I consider it to be very similar to Torment, in that the gameplay wasn't spectacular, but it REALLY shone in the story. I consider the conversation where Thorton sits there slagging off Marburg until he goes apeshit to be one of the best moments of the game, and it gains a lot of strength for me because despite Thorton actually having pretty much no personality, you can really see what a fantastic manipulator he is. He honestly almost sounds like he's enjoying calling Marburg out - 'how hosed up and empty do you have to be?'
I was another of those people who the sales clerk tried to stop me buying it 'this got really bad reviews, you know?', but it was in the bargain bin at $20 so I figured eh, why not.
Comte, thanks for your part in it. I will have to track down this Syriana and check it out.
Definitely going to recommend this game to everyone I know - I think it's the absolute definition of a diamond in the rough.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Dammit!!! I shot Surkov in the leg my first meeting with him, then when I went to see Brayko he didn't mention Surkov being the real problem at all. I hope I can still get my Judge Jury Executioner achievement.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I know... I talked to him, using all Suave options which is what I normally do. The difference is, I've never shot Surkov in the leg before, so I can only assume he fled already. Either way, I didn't get the intercept mission.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I'm getting trolled a lot, recently.

Mass Effect has better branching dialogue and morality than AP.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, how do you actually get Albatross for the handler for that mission?
I enjoyed that I kicked sis's rear end and taunted Albatross about it in Moscow, but then because I ignored SIE altogether, he called me and was like I loving hate your guts but if you're attacking the embassy we have absolutely no choice but to work together, you son of a bitch.
But how do you get him for the final mission?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Heck, do you copy?
Like a floppy...

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It's really easy to miss. In one room you go in and there are two closed doors, one on either side, and she's through one of those. Problem is, if you aren't watching out for it, you'll probably run straight ahead, and the game locks you out of that area :(

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'm trying to get the badass kick over the side on the Al-Samad Lieutenant, but I can't at the moment.
Last time I did it, I killed the closest guard when he came near enough, but now that seems to get his body seen by the Lieutenant who loses his poo poo. Anyone got any tips?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Goddamn, I just got Insurance Liability!!! That was not easy to do, and funnily enough I got it on Brayko.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Well, I just got one of the more interesting endings I've had.
Turned Marburg, Analysis Flaw'd Parker, no fight between Marburg and Parker (how do you trigger this???), Punched Leland in the face repeatedly, Marburg 'hmmphd' Leland and walked off, Scarlet shot me, Heck shot Scarlet and then dropped some of the funniest lines I've ever heard him say. Something about overlooking murder so you can hook up with her? Gold.

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jul 29, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I tried to get the 'without killing in cold blood' achievement but failed. Does that mean zero kills AT ALL? I thought it was just cutscene ones...

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

As far as I know, there are only seven launchers. I've played the game three times, on Normal or Easy each time, and I have never had it go down to just the launchers even hitting it dead on with each one (and watching to confirm the hit).

5 minutes is a bit of hyperbole but that thing still takes a shockingly large number of pistol or rifle bullets to shoot down even after taking direct hits from seven missiles.

Bulletstorm.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

EVERYTHING is the smart thing to do in the long run.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

A smug sociopath is absolutely the best name for someone in the Alpha Protocol thread.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Smol posted:

Wait what, there's an another solution than to pick the door behind you open? :aaaaa:

Are we talking about the bit where you finally catch up with the guy and he has nowhere to go?
All I've ever done is shoot him in the face and run to the switch, is there another way???

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

TUUUUUUUUURN UP THE RAAAAADIO

*gets stabbed 40 times*

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Where does this whole Obsidian is bad thing come from, anyway?
Every time I see their name involved with a project, I get interested, because I know it's gonna be good.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It is criminal what happened to KOTOR II, especially since what was there utterly destroyed what had come before. It was magnificent. I was so pumped to go to the Dark Regions and chase Revan and see what Kreia knew he/she had gone to do.

And now I'll never get that chance.

But perhaps it's better left as a total mystery, because come on, what can live up to that expectation?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Sam. posted:

Are there any times when sparing someone is a bad idea?

That depends if you enjoy the song 'Turn up the Radio' by Autograph.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I was the guy who put that theory together and while I love it to death, I'm pretty sure it's more "headcanon" than anything. Avellone wouldn't give a yes or no when I asked him about it on Twitter but he said "it's totally like Heck to do that."

I guess you could take that as a confirmation but I read it as "we didn't really go that deep on it, but I like the idea."

That said, as stupid as the concept of "headcanon" normally is, I think that idea makes the story a lot cooler. So I roll with it.

edit: gently caress it. Asking him again.

Any answer?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Actually, proof that Heck is far and away the best spy in history is when you are planning a mission that you have spoken to maybe two people about, and not only did Heck know about it, he had made an entire plan to assist you.
He knew everything pretty much before you did.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

How do you make Marburg kill Parker?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Do either of those require a high influence?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Nah, I know what to do, I usually just go the smug as gently caress route because the kill is so satisfying. I'll try again, this time trying to stay professional with him.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

And to think it gets even better on your next playthrough when you start seeing just how much stuff you missed and how your little tiny differences can spiral out into huge changes down the line.

The thing that stunned me is that I chose completely different dialogue choices, and they pretty clearly had responses written for that.
I was expecting ME style where the conversation basically takes the same route no matter what, but holy poo poo.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

CaptainCarrot posted:

No, it really is atrocious. When you move your mouse, the selector on the screen will not move similarly. Every other loving game I've ever played has managed that, so I don't see why AP can't.

Look at it this way....

AP does a lot of things plot and storywise a lot of other games don't, so you have to endure some rather curious quirks for the privilege.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

That has got to be literally the most useless post I've ever seen.

First off it's spoilered, and second, he doesn't know who that is.

Go to Taiwan is what he means.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hannibal Smith posted:

Another positive retrospective on the game from a mainstream source that originally panned it.

There are going to be a lot of, "Why didn't anyone give this brilliant game a chance?" articles showing up in the next few years, aren't there?

Someone called this earlier, didn't they?

AP really was a diamond in the rough. The gameplay was rough as guts but man, it really grabbed me.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

Back when I first started reading this thread - so over a year ago at this point, I think - someone predicted that within five years of AP's release, the same publications that savaged it in reviews and ensured it would be viewed as a dismal failure and a toxic IP and game design would be publishing glowing retrospectives describing it as a work of genius and weepily wondering why it never got a sequel and other RPGs didn't follow in its footsteps.

So I guess we're a bit early.

Yeah, but let's be honest - it was pretty obvious it was gonna be viewed as a 'why did it fail?' title. The game is too good to be anything but. Actually it's too good to fail in the first place, but that's the way the mop flops.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

If do well enough at gun training Mina asks you to take Darcy down a peg by shooting him from the catwalk above while he runs the shooting range.

There are similar events for gadget and stealth training.

And the post-mission text is hilarious, too. Due to a scheduling conflict....

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

01011001 posted:

Yep, like meeting Heck to spike Brayko's coke (Taiwan/Moscow spoiler) or making friends with SIE to piss off Marburg more (Moscow/Rome spoiler).

I could never get into the shotgun, personally. Just pack an AR as backup and use it untrained or with 1-2 ranks, it's good enough as-is without much leveling and the active talent sucks anyway.

Shotgun only really comes into its own once you have a few ranks of the room clearing or whatever it's called. That combined with flaming ammo destroys everything.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Transmetropolitan posted:

I just wanna say that Steven Heck is one of the greatest characters ever created in the history of video games.

That is all.

You are correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I also like the interpretation where Heck is actually the one behind the curtain, it seems ridiculous until you realise he knew everything you were planning in Taiwan before you did it, and ENDGAMEknew about Scarlet

• Locked thread