Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

You may want to put this link in the OP:
http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Alpha_Protocol

And yes, I'm totally only suggesting it because I contributed a bunch of stuff to that page :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Lynx posted:

Welp, I just completed my latest playthrough, and I finally managed to (endgame spoilers ahead) get Marburg to kill Parker for cutting him loose in his Deus Vult days (thanks Oxxidation!) and get Scarlet to shoot me while confronting Leland.
Can you post a video of that one? I've seen "Parker goes after Marburg" from several sources, as well as "Marburg walks away after you've killed Leland" but never Marburg goes after Parker / Refuses to go after you when Leland prompts hims"

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 9, 2011

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Zorak posted:

Wish it were a longer game, though. It was rather... short, and the different plot "arcs" don't exactly ramp up into anything really huge. There's a skimpy-ness to its escalation that isn't fantastic, but the ride that's there is pretty drat good.
If it was longer, it wouldn't be quite as replayable :shrug:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Vizrt posted:

Just started my second playthrough as recruit. I never noticed one of the photos in the Moscow safehouse on my first playthrough. Got a good laugh out of me when I noticed it this time. Doesn't seem like a spoiler but more of a minor easter egg. Was thinking of using it for an avatar. Need to figure out some good accompanying text though.
http://www.amazon.com/Running-Scared-Gregory-Hines/dp/B00005N89R/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1310365815&sr=8-2

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

It doesn't differentiate between reasons for Mina hating you - either by being a dick to her or killing innocent(ish) people wherever you go. I would've liked a dialogue path based on slaughtering people but still being cordial and flirty with Mina. The best we get is some slight variation in Suave dialogue reactions if you have negative Rep with her.
People in the thread mentioned that you can do that - kill everyone you meet, but be nice to Mina, and it will totally freak her out (did anyone have video proof?)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Lynx posted:

Xander77 (I think) requested this a while back, and I've finally gotten around to putting it together: (big time endgame spoilers) it's what happens when you tell Marburg about Parker's involvement in Deus Vult. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttNh2j-sZVE
Thanks.

What happens if you alert both Marburg about Deus Vult and Parker about Madison? Which one takes precedence?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Propaganda Panda posted:

Me too. Mike was a pretty decent guy, but something about Madison didn't add up. rear end in a top hat-Mike came out for the first time, accused her of being a double-agent (and a bitch, heheh), and I didn't really have any sympathy for her. Especially after she knocked him out to "escape" - he'd already said she could leave at any time, but warned her that she'd probably be killed. Guess what? She made her own deathbed, she's gotta lay in it.
Wait, wait. Mike's reaction to Madison's death doesn't change if they hated each other and she shocked the poo poo out of him?

Well. Not... this loving game?

Mile'ionaha posted:

Major Marburg discussion/spoilers. RE:Suave

If you're a suave rear end in a top hat through the first part of the game, does he come over the table at you during the cafe meeting, or does it just give you the chance to kill him dead in the museum? I read through many, many pages of this thread but wasn't 100% sure on which it was.
The latter. People generally don't come at Mike during the first meeting, even if he does his best shot at making them do so.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

30$ right after a 5$ steam sale (only because steam is stupid as gently caress, and won't sell certain games in my area which makes no sense because what the gently caress is the point of online distribution then etc etc etc)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Exactly like Alpha Protocol then?

(seriously, this game is incredibly restrictive about your gameplay actions. Jumping prompts, like whoa)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Rinkles posted:

The yellow shirt and tie were even more jarring to me.

You sell vacuum cleaners and imitation Rolexes? Oh, right you're head of a multi-billion dollar weapons contractor.
He spends thousands of dollars on his loving hair but none on color coordination, apparently.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

Make sure you come back into the thread and complain about the crouching animation, we haven't had one of those for ages.
?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Vadun posted:

Could someone please spoil the poo poo out the Gelato mission for me? I have no idea whats going on
HORSE COCK EVERYWHERE :gonk:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I do love people trying to piece the games plot into a coherent whole when it was written and re-written patchwork like by a bunch of different people who had little thought of causes and consequences beyond the dialog system.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I don't really see the Deus Ex connection in general, and the comparison to Human Revolution in particular is not doing Alpha Protocol any favors. HE's story isn't that much weaker - in fact, some parts (particularly incidentals) are actually smarter than anything in AP (if more poorly presented). But as far as gameplay is concerned, HE is an excellent update of Deus Ex, and AP can barely even dream of ever measuring up.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Bryako had more character than all three HE bosses combined. He was also a more frustrating boss fight than all three HE bosses combine.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Smol posted:

The hardest part about the Brayko fight was realizing that the game has a sprint button. After that eureka moment (and running the gently caress away when he charges at you), Brayko was just a mild annoyance.
I have no idea what people are talking about. Either my Mika is extra slow, or my Brayko is extra fast, but he ALWAYS manages to catch me.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

I probably didn't play enough of Human Revolution to fairy judge it as a whole (only about five or six hours in), but speaking strictly of a specific design elements: of the many options, presented, there's always a 'right' way to do things in HR. The right way to clear a room is by silently knocking everyone unconscious, because that gives you the most XP. You don't choose which direction to move a conversation, you're just trying to 'win' that conversation. The game punishes you for not playing in a specific way.
Oy. You're mixing two separate gameplay elements - environment exploration/enemy handling and conversations/story progression. I won't argue that AE isn't superior in the later department, but the former? You don't think there's a "right" way to handle the environment in AE, or that you get anywhere near as many options to do so as HR?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

As for the comparison between DX1 and AP, I think it's apt. Yes, AP has a much greater focus on dialogue, and the level design can't hold up at all compared to DX1, but the core gameplay is pretty much the same. The only critical difference is that you earn new activated abilities by improving your skills, rather than having a skill/aug separation like in DX1.
No. Noooo. AE has dedicated spots where you can jump. You can't move anything in the environment. THERE ARE NO AIR VENTS for heaven's sake. It's nothing like DX in terms of gameplay except for the whole "sneak-ish rpg/fps blend".

Also, the right way to play AE is to take the pistol with maxxed out chainshot. That's demonstratably the most effective way to do things, though it doesn't mean that you can't have fun with the shotgun, for instance. DX (and or HR, I think that two are about the same) gives you a lot more tools to gently caress around with for fun instead of going for the most efficient route, and it allows you to challenge yourself in interesting and fun ways (no augs, no weapons, no takedowns, no hacking, only walk backwards, jump every five steps)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

I think the main reason people link DX and AP is the whole "What you do affects what you see" thing that's common to both. I'd put "What, you can save Paul?!" moment that a lot of players had in the same category as "What, you can kill Marburg?!" from AP. HR is a different kettle of fish because you get pretty much the same story regardless of your actions. HR definitely gives you more agency as a player, but you don't get much chance to shape the story.
But you don't, really. You do the same things in the same places and fight (or not fight, ok boss battles blah blah) the same people in DX 1. And the ending is still "three buttons" just scattered though an area.

AE is as much more reactive in terms of story as DX is in gameplay.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

I love how they apparently toned down SIE's cleavage in the proper game. Unironically. :allears:
I love how the only way to tell that she's "old" is the dialog that conspiciously points that out, not anything about her appearance in the game / concept art.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Agreed posted:

I bought all intel and did a professional completionist run and didn't have to fight him when I convinced him that his analysis was flawed. Might be a bug relating to having both options? Amazing game but not completely polished.

I believe his point is that you still have a fight in that room regardless of what you do.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Can someone upload a video of the no allies Leland betrayal?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

IIRC, most of the game is specifically hard-coded because Obsidian thought the gameplay was perfect just the way it is and should not be messed with by any "users" who surely wouldn't know what they're doing.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

KOTOR 2 was awesome even when only partially restore (the team gizka mod, IIRC?) and should be even awesomer now.

In other news: I've played through AP three time, and I don't think I ever saw Deng do much of anything besides run around and get shot.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Sam. posted:

Otherwise, you could end up without a handler.
And that would be a terrible shame - having your final triumph over every force that tried to manipulate you take place without a voice in your ear telling you what to do.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

El Tortuga posted:

Just twice? Looking back through my past I saw that just back in April someone found an area in Saudi that no one else seemed to know about here. That is loving nuts.

What was it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Abitha Denton posted:

I'm replaying this after a few years. I remembered pistols are way overpowered and put most of my AP into it so far and it's getting really annoying that I end up getting shot a couple times while doing chain shot - I have 45 seconds unable to move while everyone takes (albeit slower) potshots. Is there any way to end chain shot early without just unloading half my ammo on random mooks?

edit: just got killed by an unarmored security guard I basically took out 40 seconds earlier. Guess I shouldn't use this skill so much and just learn to aim better.
E.

• Locked thread