Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lynx
Nov 4, 2009
Any chance I can get my intel guide in the OP? It's a little more accurate/comprehensive than the AP wiki and GameFAQs so I figure it'll probably be of some use to people here.

It's got some spoilers in it, so I wouldn't recommend it to first time players:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dBMxZ9QlB5O7JAwXhF65Y3Pyvmf_nyW453cQA4p4xTI/edit?hl=en_US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Holy Cheese posted:

http://i.imgur.com/VuKMY.jpg

That dude actually hanged like that after I shot him. Ragdoll physics derp.

I once shot a guy and he turned into a giraffe:

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Hey, I own this, obviously, thought it took like a year for me to get my free copy from Sega, but I realllly don't want to install and play to check this one thing out. On top of being really painful to play through stuff I'd really like to have done better, I'm really bad at it.

Anywhere, where was I, right, ok, can someone check the computer in the roman ruins that you have to hack to set up the bomb (or whatever, I can't actually remember what that mission is about, despite having designed it) and take a screenshot of the image on the monitor?

I put an easteregg there but I've never heard anyone mention it, so I wonder if it's just really subtle or if it got removed at some point.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Dr. Stab posted:

Darcy isn't optional.

He was referring to SIE but you're right, there's actually two bosses you can't melee.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Rabbit Hill posted:

Do you need to go suave in every conversation with Marburg or just the last one in the Museum for him to fight to the death? Looks like I'll be replaying that level tonight...

I love this thread. On each page there are maybe 10 things that I never encountered in my games.

All of them, and not just the ones with him. You need to have more suave responses overall (get the suave perk in the greybox) otherwise he knows you're just trying to piss him off.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009
Welp, I just completed my latest playthrough, and I finally managed to (endgame spoilers ahead) get Marburg to kill Parker for cutting him loose in his Deus Vult days (thanks Oxxidation!) and get Scarlet to shoot me while confronting Leland.

Now all I need to do is (Moscow spoiler) figure out the trigger that lets you get Brayko to kill Championchik and I can die a happy man.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Can you post a video of that one? I've seen "Parker goes after Marburg" from several sources, as well as "Marburg walks away after you've killed Leland" but never Marburg goes after Parker / Refuses to go after you when Leland prompts hims"

I've already deleted the save, the closest one I have left is from my first hub. If no one beats me to it I'll try and record it when I get there/figure out FRAPS.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

THE PWNER posted:

Can you spoil it? I uninstalled without even making a Vet game first, figured it'd just be minor dialogue changes with the "Veteran" option

When you first pick up your PDA after waking up Mike hallucinates seeing the Gelato shop guy instead of Mina.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Polaron posted:

Somewhere in this thread someone posted a link to an intel list. Unfortunately, I can't track it back down. Anyone have it?

Right Here

There's also a link in the second post if you need it.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Polaron posted:

In Moscow, what do I get for sending the weapons to Grigori as opposed to myself, beyond points with Mina or Grigori?

Beyond what's already been mentioned, you can get some intel on Championchik depending on you response to his thank you e-mail.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I've done this. The mission is still available but you don't get the post-mission dialogue.

So do G22 never find the bugs then?

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Lotish posted:

I got really confused when I caught up to Surkov kind of in the middle of his level and accepted his truce, then the mission complete screen told me I had 3/4 objectives complete. The level felt half-done, and I never saw Championchik; I'm guessing you're meant to take him apart?

There's two instances where you can get Brayko to "talk" to Surkov. One is on the helipad, after the Championchik fight, and the other is this.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009
Xander77 (I think) requested this a while back, and I've finally gotten around to putting it together: (big time endgame spoilers) it's what happens when you tell Marburg about Parker's involvement in Deus Vult. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttNh2j-sZVE

EDIT:

Lotish posted:

I think that spoiler is also bugged because I've gotten it by shooting him in the face while on the ground as well as by sneaking up to the bridge with him on the far end.

There's two slightly different cutscenes that play out here: if you sneak up on him Mike kicks him off the bridge, while if you get spotted Mike hits him with a karate chop to the throat that sends him over the railing.

Lynx fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 16, 2011

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

GetWellGamers posted:

If you do this, can Marburg still Do the "Go gently caress yourself, Leland exchange later, or do you have to kill him in the data room?

You have to kill him in the data room right after the cutscene ends. I'm pretty sure there's no way this situation plays out where you don't have to fight Marburg if he kills Parker. Then again there might be, TFG and all.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Xander77 posted:

I think someone (can't remember who) posted that telling Parker about Madison has precedence over the other, but I've never confirmed that.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Vizrt posted:

Started my third run. Playing veteran and leaning towards aggressive choices. I want to get along with Sie as I have not seen much of her in my previous two runs. Everyone else can gently caress off. Any tips for this? Should I do the [Moscow]train mission first to meet up with her or go to [Rome]and finish the missions up to and including the meeting with Marburg first. Any other tips to maximize Sie interactions appreciated.

Go to Moscow first so you can use SIE for your handler in Marburg's mansion. If you do Rome first all you get is extra line or two from her if you pissed off or killed Marburg. Other than that, hub order doesn't matter much.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Speedball posted:

So, anyone know what specific triggers are necessary for getting Marburg to backstab Parker, because Parker was the guy who pulled the plug on Deus Vult and left him to dry years ago? Is there some intel I'm missing, do I need a specific approach, or what?

You just need all of their dossiers (you should have 100% of Marburg's and 80% of Parker's plus his secret fact before stating the final mission ).

EDIT: There are two different e-mails from Mina where you have to option to get intel on Parker, are you sure you're getting those?

Lynx fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 21, 2011

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Bloodcider posted:

Also I might be misremembering here, but Mike usually has his casual shirt untucked around the safehouse/on missions, etc, right? I chose all Professional and Veteran options in training this time and now that I'm in Saudi he has his shirt tucked into his pants. Because he's so professional. :stare:

I'm pretty sure Mike always has his shirt tucked in Saudi. At least I can't remember ever seeing it untucked across 9 or so playthroughs. To be fair, I usually go professional, but still it seems really unlikely that you clothes of all things would change depending on your attitude in conversations.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Torsade de Pointes posted:

It's hard to do cause there's only like 3 or 4 levels that you won't be spotted on. The ones I can remember where it's doable are the airfield, the listening post, and molotek offices.

The other two are the G22 warehouse in Taipei and the Nasri mission (the final room is really tricky, but doable).

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

ChuckDHead posted:

Has anyone ever actually paid RRP for this game?

Also preordered. ~10 playthroughs later, and still no regrets.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Popular Human posted:

Ah, thanks for that. Only thing is, I did find Scarlet in the last mission, but it didn't give me the option to kill her, I just told her to be careful and try to escape. I probably needed to get my reputation with her lower.

I'm pretty sure the only way to kill her (at least with high rep) is download the PDA data from Omen Deng (who, from the sounds of things, you had already killed). Otherwise, Mike won't kill her, even if she confesses her secret fact to you.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Alteisen posted:

Do I need to hit a specific option? I spared him but Mike just walked away.

Pretty sure you have to use the 'Dossier' option. If it's not available you probably missed one of Brayko's dossiers somewhere.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Factor Mystic posted:

E2: No AP LP? I'd like to see someone play who really knew what they were doing.

CirclMaster is currently doing an audience participation CYOA LP.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3385132

EDIT: Beaten, so I'll elaborate on the rest of your post.

Factor Mystic posted:

E: Wait, all the Grey Box characters survived run #2 as well. I don't think I had any interaction with Darcy or Westridge after the intro and I believe Parker escaped.

Westridge will be the final boss if you take Leland's deal, agree to betray the US when you meet up with Shaheed, or kill US Marines/CIA agents. I'm pretty sure Parker only escapes if you convince him that his plan is flawed (so you have to protect him rather than kill him during what would normally be his boss fight), otherwise you have to kill him (or get Marburg to do it for you).

Lynx fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 9, 2011

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

So I finally got through Saudi and flew to all the safehouses to check them out. I'm finding all the options on pistols a bit overwhelming. Anyone got any tips on optimizing your pistol setup? I am specializing in pistol and stealth for the most part. Cant remember my pistol rank offhand but I do have the basic level of chain shot unlocked.

Honestly there's not a huge difference between the pistol types, and you probably won't notice the difference between the various attachments. Obviously, you'll want a suppressor and some kind of optic (for the extra zoom level) but beyond that just use whatever you find in the field (by the way, you can switch attachments while on missions, so feel free to experiment a little). If you feel like you need a new pistol, save up some cash and buy a tier 3 one when they become available.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

How hard do I have to try to get Marburg to hate me enough to fight to the death? Is it the fact that I have the Professional background trait? Because after mixing my responses in the Graybox, unless it was required to execute/save someone, I went full sass.

Maybe I should just stop by the Trainyard in Moscow so I can get the -2 from having gotten along with SIE and then beeline for Rome. I might've had too much "thoroughness" bonus morale with him.

Basically you want to get the Suave perk while in the Graybox, have more suave responses overall, and use all suave responses in every conversation with him. You might also need to have his full dossier. If you have a reputation for being professional he'll know that you're just trying to piss him off by being suave and it won't work. So long as you're a smartass motherfucker you shouldn't have any problems pulling it off no matter how much he compliments you for keeping a low profile or whatever.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Are they supposed to show when you're fighting your way through the facility, though?

SIE will if you choose her. Albatross won't (though he'll communicate with you, and he can take control of the turrets in the room with Parker. Sis will show up in a cutscene, and you'll meet a random G22 dude just after the area with Mina in it (the same spot where SIE/Heck would be if you chose them).

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Sam. posted:

Do any bosses have unique weapons you get when you defeat them other then Omen Deng and Shaheed's Lieutenant?

You can get a pistol from Marburg if you kill him in Rome and Brayko's SMGs.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Sam. posted:

Are those weapons good? And can you get Brayko's gun if you spare him?

They're nothing special. Most of the Tier 3 weapons have better stats (though there's not a huge difference between the different weapons in each class anyway). And no, you can't get Brayko's SMGs without killing him.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Whizbang posted:

Considering the completion percentage doesn't count secret facts, 60% for most people isn't actually that great. It sounds like you missed a lot of dossier information.

Besides that, though, to really get the full picture you need to play through this game a few times with different choices. Alpha Protocol's story is dense.

IIRC, you can 100% every dossier in the game in a single playthrough, with the exception of Darcy/Parker/Westridge, as Mina makes you choose between those three a couple of times. As far as I know, there's really no reason to choose anyone but Parker, as his is the only dossier that can have an effect later in the game.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Is there like a guide for this? I'd love to do a smug "I know everything" run.

Yup.

While we're on the subject, if anyone has any comments/criticism/suggestions about my intel guide, feel free to post them here (provided the mods and OP are cool with it). I've never really gotten any feedback on it, so I've been left wondering if people actually find it useful or not.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Astfgl posted:

Saudi Arabia:
Bug Al-Samad Airfeld
Intercept Shaheed

The second one is Find Nasri the Arms Dealer not the Shaheed one.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Kuno posted:

Hey it is pretty cool this thread popped back up.

I'm like two trophies from platting this game but I'm pretty dang frustrated at the minute. I've been doing the kill everything that moves thing trophy and the trophy for killing Marburg in Rome.

I can't get the drat thing to trigger though, according to the guide I was using you only have to get him to -6 and he'll stay and fight. Well, I have -6 and he still keeps running off :(

What the gently caress else do I need to do, not that I think I even can at this point, I don't think I have any saves that would help and I've already gone through the game 5 times in fairly rapid succession. It is a great game but I dunno if I can do another run.

Be as suave as possible throughout the game (get the suave perk in the Greybox, be suave in all conversations with him), and make sure you get all his dossiers. Your rep with him isn't actually all that big of a factor, and you can actually gain a few points (i.e. picking the bombs over Madison and keeping a low profile your first few missions in Rome) and still be able to pull it off. That's really it, but from the sound of things you'll have to start a new game. But trust me, it's totally worth it.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

ydaetskcoR posted:

Wait, her dad is a somebody? I'd guess that it's Parker but I have no idea how/where you'd find that out.

Seriously, This loving Game.

If you think that's mind-blowing, wait until you find out about the link between Parker and Marburg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttNh2j-sZVE&feature=related

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Speedball posted:

Only thing that every truly mystified me was, why does G22's soldier corps use four-lensed goggles?

They're actually based off real tech. Basically, they're just NVGs with a wider field of view.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Merry Magpie posted:

Means, motive, and opportunity?

It is possible to kill every named character in a single run-through, save two. The opportunity to kill SIE and Albatross is mutually exclusive. Also, Heck will survive no matter what.

Hong Shi, also.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

(because I'm not sure you can actually have all 3 handlers available at the end)

You definitely can. If you have a good relationship with both Albatross (you might have to pick him in Moscow) and SIE (who doesn't really care if you decide to roll with G22) you should have the option to pick either of them for the endgame.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Magic posted:

Does the red text in the epilogue mean I did something wrong?

http://imgur.com/1H60r

Sort of (well no, there are no wrong choices in this game). It usually indicates that you missed something completely (like if you never see Scarlet or Mina at all in the last mission) or did something that has a negative effect (like how killing the NSA guy in Rome attracts attention and hampers your ability to get intel). In your specific case, it's happening because you let Scarlet go and she disappeared. It also happens if you never see her at all (like I mentioned above). If you kill her, or free her and get her to join you on the boat, you won't get the red text, since her plot thread is considered resolved.

Magic posted:

What do you guys recommend for my second playthrough and based on this post? I did buy the game on X360 for cheap so I can play it without so many technical issues, but I could do a veteran run with my PC save. I'm not sure about a lumberjack commando run just yet, but someday...

You won't miss a whole lot if skip out on doing a veteran run. Beyond the extra AP and dialog, the only real advantage veterans have is that they don't have to choose between the intel and the hostage in Brayko's mansion (which you can do normally if you have Brilliance unlocked).

While I won't suggest any specific gimmicks (I'm sure plenty of people will have ideas like McMurphy's), here's a couple of general things:

1) Use different responses in conversations. Try pissing people off who you befriended previously; some situations can play out differently depending on what people think of you (Surkov for example, has some fun scenes that you won't see if he likes you).

2) Try mixing up the order you complete the hubs in. While this won't change the plot much, each hub has connections to the others (Taipei and Moscow in particular). Being friends with someone you met in one hub can benefit you in another, usually through the use of buying intel items (i.e. Heck can help with the Brayko boss fight, the Russians won't attack you in the Rome warehouse if Brayko likes you, meeting SIE in Moscow lets you use her as a handler in Marburg's mansion).

3) This should be obvious, but get as much intel as you can.

4) Again, obvious, but there are a lot of things that can change during the last mission depending on your interactions with the characters who show up (particularly Leland, Marburg, Scarlet, Mina, and Parker). Your intel acquired, rep, and certain choices will all come into play here.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Magic posted:

3. Not fussed about this in my next playthrough (I'm on PC so there isn't an achievement as such), I may just focus on action rather than exploration and collecting or buying intel.

The main reason that I suggested this is that because having certain intel can unlock certain dialog options and additional scenes. For example, you need to have a certain amount of Brayko's dossier in order to question him, which is necessary to unlock the subsequent mission with Surkov. Otherwise you'll miss it completely.

Not that there's anything wrong with just shooting your way through the game, but it's something to keep in mind for future playthroughs.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

Is there a good strategy to use for getting as much intel as possible? I just noticed that I've never gotten the "acquire the vast majority of intel" achievement, and the achievement for not sleeping with anyone (like any good spy, Thorton just can't keep it in his pants). I've made a habit of always buying intel before missions, and trying to be thorough while going through the levels, but apparently I'm missing something.

Finding intel is pretty straightforward. Mostly, you either find it in the field or buy it from the Clearinghouse. There's a few oddities (you have to respond to a few e-mails in a specific manner, the hidden room in Marburg's mansion), but for the most part you just have to check every nook and cranny in each level. I don't know how much you need for the achievement (I'm on PC) but it shouldn't be too difficult. Keep in mind you can max intel for every faction and every person (except for any two of Parker/Darcy/Westridge) in a single playthrough.

If you need help, print this off and keep it handy. There's some spoilers in there, though I tried to keep them to a minimum, but nothing that a person who has played through once or twice should be worried about.

EDIT: Grammar

Lynx fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 10, 2012

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Isn't that the bit with Scarlet? There's nothing to your right when you're given the choice to go after Mina - it's just to your left or straight ahead.

...or is there? :ohdear:

The door to the right just has some intel.

Also, wouldn't it be easier to just describe it as "the room where you have to stop and stare at a TV screen while Leland/Westridge either taunts you or reminds you to kill Mina (if you took Leland's deal)?" That's the one thing about that room that isn't nondescript.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009
Specifically, you have to have 8 levels in Tech Aptitude (where you unlock Brilliance). You specialization doesn't factor in. At least for the Moscow one, I'm not sure what triggers the Taipei thing.

• Locked thread