Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
It's been a long time since I've posted in the dorkroom. I'm (barely) maintaining my college newspaper photographer status while in grad school. So this means I mostly shoot sports where I can schedule it weeks in advance.

Also, second button focusing represent :hf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
So it's probably been several years since I've posted in The Dorkroom, but I've been shooting Virginia Tech football for one of the VT blogs (after shooting for the student paper while I was in school), so here's a few from last week's game that I liked:

(Guess who lost)

This is the most football I've shot in years and I'm quickly realizing I need to invest in a 300 since I can no longer borrow the paper's :(

BobTheCow posted:

A bunch of Wahoo photos

Will you be joining us in Blacksburg in a few weeks? :haw:

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

BobTheCow posted:

Yep, I'll be there. I've been out to Tech a handful of times before, but not for football, so I'm looking forward to it. I just wish the stupid game was on Saturday instead of the day after Thanksgiving.

Excellent, come say hi when you get into the work room (I just hope it's not a goddamned 11AM kickoff).

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
It's basketball season! No standing out in the cold in the name of sports photography (for a couple weeks oh god black friday night football game coming)

I really should invest in a 2.8.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

hi liter posted:

I love this. You don't need a 2.8 for this I don't think.

But then again, treat yo self.

Thanks, that one was by far my favorite.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Black Friday Night Lights, Virginia Tech vs UVA in a battle for The Commonwealth Cup. The winner improved to 6-6 and got to go to a bowl game. The loser finished 5-7 and their season was over, which made for a pretty drat chippy game (and very drunk and fantastically angry sounding crowd).

(Virginia Tech won 24-20)

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

BobTheCow posted:

drat, I totally forgot you said you'd be there! Sorry I didn't find you to say hi. :(

For whatever reason, I had a pretty lovely game, plus since kickoff was so drat late my deadlines were all hosed. Oh well, them's the breaks.

That's alright, it was a pretty drat hectic game the whole time. There's always basketball season!

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Bowl season and the start of basketball conference play:

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

hi liter posted:

Thanks. Do y'all general shoot in landscape or portrait when doing sports?

I shoot for online only now, so I tend to keep it landscape lately. However way way more important is getting a face and the ball, you can always crop later.

Your photos are great, especially for the gear you had. Watch out for those severed limbs and heads on the sides of your frames though :ghost:

Frinkahedron fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 21, 2015

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
^^^^^ They installed brand new LED lighting in the basketball arena here last year and the ability to pick a white balance and not have three colors come out of it in each frame is simply mindboggling.

A few things from the past month:

:argh:

Finally got that first ACC win :unsmith:

And now for something completely different. The wrestling team is having a one-off series of matches inside a brand new performing arts building on campus instead of the usual arena (the basketball arena), which is so very weird and fun to shoot in. Almost black backgrounds from certain angles makes it like a photoshoot at times.

Frinkahedron fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 4, 2015

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

BobTheCow posted:

I spent part of my weekend in Greensboro for the ACC tournament, until UVA had to go and stink up the place and loose to UNC, so I came home a day early.

This is all great. Greensboro was probably the best arena I've ever shot in, it's a shame that they're moving the tournament out of there for a while. At least DC is easy for me to get to.

A smattering of Buzzketball, cheerleaders, and a bonus wrestling shot from the past couple months. Also a fellow local photographer friend is maybe going to be selling his 70-200 2.8, so the days of shooting indoors with my ye olde f/4 are probably over next season :unsmith:

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Spring football practice and the spring game over the past month or so...

And always remember the fan shots:

Frinkahedron fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 5, 2015

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

This is incredible.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

DJExile posted:

hey guys i got a rad new sports lens

So f/8 or bust, right?

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Fall football practice is here, football season is coming :getin:

Frinkahedron fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 8, 2015

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
You could also try the team booster's club, they usually love to have someone take pictures of their kids playing and probably have some pull with the school administrators.

Good luck shooting on those dark as gently caress fields :haw:

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

I really like this.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

This is an awesome shot.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I talked my way into shooting a lot of college sports this coming school year. I started out with a football game this weekend and its ... a lot different than basketball! I think I got some decent shots but there is some definite room for improvement. You guys got any good tips for handegg? Specifically, is there a way to predict a pass receiver? I could not get a shot of a pass completion to save my life and 95% of the time I was on the completely wrong dude anyway. Almost everything I got was running plays. Is it just an experience thing or is there some trick or rule of thumb? Also, how do you normally set up your camera for exposure during day games? With basketball/hockey/etc you can set it in manual and forget it. Here I was going with Av at -2/3 stops to avoid blowing out the white jerseys but then poo poo was all hosed because it turns out the players all wear portable caves on their heads and I had to slam the exposure and shadow sliders in post just to see their faces. poo poo got extra hosed when the sun started to go down and half the field was in shadow and the rest in bright sun.

Anyway, I've got a press pass to all PSU home games so I'll be shooting a lot and any help and criticism would be appreciated!

e: Do any of you use polarizing filters to cut glare off the visors?

This is a good start if it was your first football game. For passing plays, you need to anticipate the play if you can. If it's an obvious passing down, don't try to follow the ball from the quarterback, watch the receivers make their runs down field and get your camera up fast enough once the ball starts flying and you can see where it's going. Following a pass from the quarterback all the way to the receiver is very difficult unless it's a long pass that hangs up there. If you really want to get a photo of a specific receiver making a catch, you may just have to commit to only following him until it happens and eschew photographing other plays. (And sometimes you just need some luck.)

I usually set my exposure -2/3rds off the grass, depending on if the team I'm photographing is wearing dark or white uniforms. If the shadows start creeping in I'll switch to Av or auto-ISO if it's really bad. Never seen someone use a polarizing filter for sports.

Been a while since I posted, football season started here in the mountains (and there's an 80% chance of rain this Saturday :smithicide:

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Anyone shooting field sports with a 7DmkII? I need a second body and I'm wondering which way to go between a used 1DmkIII or a 7DmkII to complement my 1DmkIV.

The 1D will always be a more rugged camera, but the 7D2 is just so much newer that if I had to choose I'd probably get the 7D2. A used 1DmkIII is a good bit cheaper than a new 7D2 though. The 1.6x crop on the 7D is also nice to get a little more reach, depending on the sport.

I shoot with a 1Dmkiii and a 7D (classic) and they both have their plus and minuses.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Soulex posted:

Yeah. I saw a mom with something nice. I forget what it was exactly, something canon and not entry level. But she started taking pictures with the pop up flash shortly after we talked. I was disgusted.

I also literally don't know where else to look for freelancing sports.

A lot of high school football teams have booster clubs that would probably love to have some photos of their kids in games. A friend of mine makes pretty good money per game shooting for a local one. Friday nights are all booked up for you, though.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
It'd be a per-arena or per team (more likely) and probably per game credential. Even the big boys (Getty, USA Today, etc...) need to get approved, although it's obviously easier for them.

E: this is more for professional/big time college sports levels, high school football-ish levels might just require an email and a thumbs up from whoever is in charge.

Frinkahedron fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 23, 2015

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Second half of the football season, with bonus pre-conference play basketball!

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

red19fire posted:

Print your work, guys.

This is :krad:

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
It's nice to photograph a basketball win, it's even nicer to photograph an upset of #4 UVA :getin:

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

dakana posted:

I'm still using the Yongnuo RF-602 system :words:

This is super useful info and I'm probably going to pick a set up, thanks! (How has the range been for you? Could I trigger this from hundreds of feet if I wanted?)

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

azathosk posted:

Close, but no cigar.

My team is getting both a new football stadium AND hockey arena in the next few years (2017 and 2018). My hope is that they ask me (or other resident photographers) what they can do to enable us to take more spectacular shots.

Roofside access and possibility to put a camera above the rink is on top if my list (together with a dedicated photographers wifi).

House strobes :getin:

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

DJExile posted:

You're going to throw a lot of pictures out here, don't let that get you down.

Can't say this enough. I'm averaging about 1200-1400 shots per basketball game. I usually get a gallery of about 25 images I like from a storytelling perspective. Out of those, maybe 1 or 2 I'd push to get printed (in my newspaper days). I might get one or two photos a season that I'd like printed and framed on my wall. There's a lot of rejects.

The worst is when you get that perfect celebration photo that you can't use for poo poo because the team ended up losing :smith:

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Helen Highwater posted:

Are you shooting in RAW (always be shooting in RAW)? 11Gb is going to fill up quite quickly when you are shooting bursts over the course of a day. I used to think a 64Gb card was fine until the time I was frantically deleting images so I'd have enough space to shoot the last few exhibitors at an air show a while back. Since then I carry two spare 64Gb cards in my bag, even if I'm just out for a walk.

I never shoot RAW in sports because it's so much slower to get stuff out on deadline, but if I had a runner bringing/taking memory cards during an event out like the big sports illustrated guys have at something like the olympics, I probably would.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Some more shootyhoops:

Yeah I know the last one missed focus. No I don't care :colbert:

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

:stare:

Makes this week's look like flowers:

With hot bonus Buzz action:

And finally, I have no idea ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

I'd get this mounted and framed, great shot.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is there a go to guide for policies on cameras/lenses that covers the different arenas? I'm going to Panthers/Islanders next week at BB&T and its really vague on the website. Someone posted on a Flickr thread that they have a liberal policy and anything under 12" is fine for hockey, but that was 8 years ago. I have 100 section seats, 3rd row. I think my 50-150 would break that rule but I'll measure it, but I'd like to take my 18-35 for some general stuff anyway. Just a case of email the venue and hope for a clearer answer?

Most places have a no telephoto policy, but enforcement is not consistent at all, even between different gates at the same event. Easiest thing to do is just go ahead and try at a couple gates if you have easy access to your car to stow it if you get turned away.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Man am I a huge sucker for shots like this and this fits my bill perfectly.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Football briefly returned yesterday:

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Bang3r posted:

It's been a while.

EPW - Evolution by bang3rachi, on Flickr

This is easily my favorite one out of this set.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Almost all of what I would consider my "best" sports photos were taken not during the run of play, but a celebration or defeat after. Emotions count.

That said, capturing a spectacular moment could easily be considered up there too, but I feel like it's harder to hit that level without the emotional element.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

DJExile posted:

Frinkahedron and BobTheCow basically own at everything and make me hella jealous. Those jerks :argh: Take a note at how much they emphasize including faces and eyes. I'm beating this drum hard but there's good reason for it. Emotions combined with sharp, proper exposure go a really long way.

poo poo and I haven't posted in here all season :ninja: I should change that soon.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

DJExile posted:

That's going to happen a lot, it's just the nature of things. Even the best focusing bodies with the best glass are going to have tough times focusing and you're going to delete a lot. I could take hundreds of pictures at a game or event and only have 2-3 really come out well for all sorts of reasons.

I once calculated that my hit rate (photos that I deem worthy of at least a quick crop/edit/caption) is historically under 3%, and I probably average around 2000 photos a football game.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
It was rainy last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

DJExile posted:

a spectacular and heartbreaking picture by Marco Bertorello of Italian goalkeeping legend Gianluigi Buffon as Sweden knocked Italy out of attending the world cup for the first time since 1958.

goddamn that’s good