Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Ash Lael posted:

1. Every single fundie knows the first commandment is "Worship the Lord your God".

Are you sure about that?

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/06/17/ten-commandments-con.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Ash Lael posted:

Sure, people forget a bunch in the middle, but everyone remembers #1 and #10 (Do not covet thy neighbour's rear end).

This guy didn't even list #1 among the ones he did remember, though...

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I've just started watching 18th and Potomac, I can't wait to see the culmination of this storyline. :ohdear:

Edit: D: Poor Mrs. Landingham :(

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 16, 2011

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Deuce posted:

:smith:

That was a tough one to take.

It's still sad, I'm a few episodes into s3; Charlie just told the President why he'd always had a pen in his pocket. :smith:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

t3ch3 posted:

Just noticed Nick Offerman in 1.05 The Crackpots and These Women. He and Eugene Mirman try to convince CJ of the need to build a $900 million wolves-only highway.

I was thinking "How could I have not realized that Eugene Mirman was in that scene!?" and went back to check.... that is not Eugene Mirman.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

What exactly was the behind-the-scenes reason for Danny disappearing for such a long time?

Zoey hasn't been around for a long time, either... the relationship between her and Charlie hasn't even been mentioned (I'm on episode 13 of season 3 now).

(Looking it up, it seems they broke up in season 2? I must have just missed that, somehow.)

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

Might be a lesbian:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy97RcGoFes

The President's speech at the end of "20 Hours in America" loving kills me every time

Bartlet: Ran into the fire.
Me: :cry:

I just watched that episode for the first time this morning, a few episodes beyond that now. The whole pipe bomb storyline has been particularly resonant, considering recent events IRL. :smith:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

mr. unhsib posted:

Uh...what does Friends have to do with any of this?

Matthew Perry?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

"You understand I'm working on the inaugural address, right?"
"How's that going?"
"THERE'S BICYCLES AND GOATS IN MY OFFICE!!"

I'm so glad I started watching this show. Haha.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

"That's never happened before, has it?"
"No. No it hasn't."

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

In retrospect, it wasn't a good idea to plan on just watching one more episode of The West Wing before going to do errands when that episode was Commencement. :ohdear:

...watching "Twenty Five", now.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 7, 2011

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

"Do you guys always walk so fast?"

"...yes."

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Toby and Will are currently typing out what they really think of the soon-to-be VP... please tell me that's not going to end up on the teleprompter somehow. It's like Chekov's Gun.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 8, 2011

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

kissyboots13 posted:

I pretty much stopped watching after season 4--is the rest of the series worth it?

I'm just over halfway through watching season 5 for the first time, I don't really see why it has such a bad reputation around here, I've been mostly enjoying it. I kind of tuned out during Disaster Relief and Abu El Banat, but I've liked the rest of what I've seen.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

TheBigBad posted:

My advice is to ignore everyone who parrots watching only the first four seasons. The whole series has wonderful work throughout. There is nuance in the performances in every single episode, the art direction is handled by the same people. It remains relevant and it becomes a new show. The only time it suffers is when John Spencer dies and you can tell if you know what you're looking for that the entire original cast just has the wind knocked out of em. There's more to this show than the writing. Just resign yourself that the show turns into something different from its premise by the end.

Yeah, the first time I watched The West Wing, I didn't make it far past season 4... but I just rewatched it all and finally finished it recently, and I have to say I actually really ended up liking the later seasons. You just need to be prepared for significant shifts in the focus of the story and the writing style/voice.

I think one of my issues the first time that I watched it was that I really didn't get into the idea of Matt Santos as a potential President... this time, though, I appreciated the fact that while I did like Vinick a lot more at the start of the arc, they managed to slowly sell me on Santos before the end... which works if you stick with it, since it matches the arc of his campaign. Once you accept that in the later seasons, the show is more about this new campaign instead of the Bartlet administration, the story is quite interesting to watch. And in the end, I feel like they did also wrap up the plot/emotional threads for the Bartlet administration very well in the final season.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 27, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

TheBigBad posted:

It's also a less bold concept in a post-Obama world.

Well, my first time watching The West Wing was in a post-Obama world, so I can't speak to that. It wasn't anything to do with that, I just found him kind of tepid compared to Vinick, and didn't watch far enough to see that it was really just the starting point for his story arc.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 27, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

brylcreem posted:

Just got to S6E08 on my rewatch - "In the room", where Penn and Teller do a magic trick involving the flag of the United States and the Bill of Rights.

Are the staff of the President of the United States really so stupid that they believe that a pair of magicians REALLY burned an American flag?!

Seriously, everybody is going around like it's a foregone conclusion that a flag was really burned! Of course it wasn't; they're loving magicians!

loving rear end holes.

I think they care more about the optics of the situation.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

They also do fake news. Last season they reported on something that turned out to be a hoax.

Still based on a true event, though...

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Ravel posted:

I really want to get my parents into the West Wing but it's really bothering me that the end credits completely ruin the tone of half the episodes. Are there any versions available that have the original broadcast end credits intact.

Is there some version other than the original broadcast end credits? The original ones completely ruin the tone of some of the episodes, too.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

When I first heard about the podcast, my first thought was that I hoped Kevin T. Porter from the Gilmore Guys podcast was hosting it, because he's a huge West Wing fan and has talked about seriously considering starting a West Wing podcast multiple times.... but as soon as I saw that it's Joshua Malina and Hrishikesh Hirway, I found it hard to be too upset about him not being involved. At least Kevin will undoubtedly be a guest on it sometime, since Hrishikesh has been a guest on Gilmore Guys a couple of times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

The latest episode of The West Wing Weekly has Justin Trudeau in it, pretty good get.

• Locked thread