Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Tried purchasing just now from the App Store (in australia if that makes a difference)

quote:

This item is temporarily unavailable.
Please try again later.

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

After about 15 more tries it worked! Downloading now at ~100kb/sec, so around 12 hours :(

Ah well, not in a rush. Time for bed now anyway...

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

beefnoodle posted:

Is there a way to view the transfer rate in the App Store like there is with iTunes downloads?

Easiest way I found was using Activity Monitor or iStat. Doesn't seem to be anything built into the app itself.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Anyone else have issues with external displays not working on MBP after upgrading to Lion?

I have a 13" MBP (mid-2010) and if I connect an external display, the whole system slowly locks up over the period of about 5 seconds.

I can keep dragging windows around for a bit, but eventually it stops responding altogether and I have to reboot.

Tried a different MiniDP-DVI adapter but had the same problem. Blew into the DP port in case there was crud in there, and wiggled the cable around.

The monitor is a cheap samsung (bx2440) which I've been using without issue for about 4 months.

There is an old cinema display somewhere I'll try at lunchtime, but trying to work on this tiny 13" screen is quite annoying.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Granite Octopus posted:

Anyone else have issues with external displays not working on MBP after upgrading to Lion?

I have a 13" MBP (mid-2010) and if I connect an external display, the whole system slowly locks up over the period of about 5 seconds.

I can keep dragging windows around for a bit, but eventually it stops responding altogether and I have to reboot.

Tried a different MiniDP-DVI adapter but had the same problem. Blew into the DP port in case there was crud in there, and wiggled the cable around.

The monitor is a cheap samsung (bx2440) which I've been using without issue for about 4 months.

There is an old cinema display somewhere I'll try at lunchtime, but trying to work on this tiny 13" screen is quite annoying.

I tried an old 23" DVI cinema display, and it worked perfectly. Absurdly, its a combination of:

• mid-2010 13" MBP
  • Lion
  • Samsung screen (specifically SyncMaster BX2440)

Does anyone else have this combination, and is it working for you?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Turns out my MBP external screen hang issue is probably hardware-related, because it only happens when the laptop is connected to power, and I can find hardly any other reports of it happening.

Unfortunately, this machine is 2 months out of warranty. Booked an appointment at the fruit stand on Sunday. I'm guessing the only fix is logic board replacement :(

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Rick posted:

My friend was having this issue and resetting the SMC worked for a little while. Popped back up again though.

I tried this yesterday but wasn't sure if it actually did anything. Tried again but still having the same problems :(

Thanks anyway!

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I must be the unluckiest son of a bitch.

1. Upgraded my 13" MBP to Lion, which is 2 months out of warranty. Now I can't connect external displays to it any more. The whole system just crashes. This is my main work machine, so for the past week I've been coding on the tiny 13" screen. Spaces have actually made this bearable though.

2. Upgraded my 2011 17" iMac to Lion, and I have the horrible bug where playing any video (flash, html5, quicktime, iTunes) will cause the whole machine to lock up. Every time.

I really, really hope they fix that video crashing thing soon. It's pretty serious. Though, I am a lot more productive now that I can't browse youtube or watch movies :/

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Crush posted:

What causes this since it doesn't seem to be for all users?

As far as I know it's widespread but only on mid-2011 iMacs. I have not done a clean install though, so perhaps it's something else...

It turns out that InsomniaT (a prefpane to prevent your computer from going to sleep with the lid closed) was causing my crazy lockups when connecting an external display to my MBP. I'm incredibly glad I got that sorted before I drove out to the fruit stand tomorrow. :S

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I refuse to read on my iPhone 4.

It's really not that bad. I've used my iPhone4 as my only ebook reader for at least a year. I've probably read about 30 books on it. All novels though; no way would I try reading a reference/technical book on it.

The only downside I have with it is that you have to turn pages more often. Other than that, its better than a physical book in every way (for my needs), and better than a dedicated reader because it's one less thing to buy and carry and charge.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Please oh please oh please I hope this fixes the iMac video crash bug. I've lost so much work because of that :(

Going to install as soon as I get home.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

carry on then posted:

Anyone else experience hard freezes during login? Randomly (does not matter whether I'm resuming applications or not) OS X will freeze completely, just after loading the menu items associated with the system (clock, Wi-Fi, battery, etc.) I can still move the mouse, but nothing short of a hard reset gets me out of it. I've looked through console and can't find any messages indicative of an error. Since it had not been fixed in 10.7.1, I planned to report a bug at http://bugreport.apple.com but as soon as I punch in my Apple ID, it gives me an error.

Do you have an InsomniaX installed?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

HYMEN.SYS posted:

Is anyone else noticing the latest version of Chrome not interpreting mouseover states in Lion? I've tried to reproduce the problem in Snow Leopard but to no avail.

I would occasionally get this in Snow Leopard and Lion. Mousing over anything on the page would not trigger mouse-over effects or anything. Click on links and stuff would still work though.

Alt-tabbing away from Chrome and back normally fixed it. Your problem sounds like it's more persistent though?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Martytoof posted:

For one reason or another I've been rebooting a fair amount lately. I have two iChat accounts set up, AIM and Google Talk. Sometimes I log in and they both connect without a problem, but then sometimes I log in and they both prompt me for a password. I can understand that X connections in a small amount of time might be suspicious, but considering they're BOTH asking me for two separate passwords to two separate services leads me to believe that iChat is the one behind this. Anyone experiencing this issue?

Yeah i get this seemingly randomly as well. I hosed around with the keychain a bit but nothing seemed to get better. Though I did figure out that you can just click ok/login and it will still login fine even if you leave the password blank.

Hopefully it gets fixed in the next version?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Appachai posted:

I just got a macbook air. This is my first mac. What's the best free antivirus?

ClamX AV isn't horrible, though I've always told it to only watch my downloads and mail folders, as they're pretty much the 2 big vectors.

Also note that if you just install the main part, it won't actually scan anything unless you tell it to; you have to set up watched folders in the Sentry portion of the app to do that.

But to be honest, I don't run it anymore. There's no real need, especially now that I've already got a standard set of apps I run, and most of the new stuff is coming from the App Store.

On a side note, I tried installing a fresh copy of Lion on my 2010 MBP last night, by burning the Install ESD.dmg image to a dvd. Everything worked fine until it got most of the way through the install then said the installation failed and to try again. Unfortunately, it then kept failing no matter what, and wouldn't let me restart the installation from scratch even after re-partitioning and formatting the hard drive. It turns out the Lion installer records the status of the install in the PRAM, which you need to reset if you want to try completely reinstalling Lion from scratch.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

angrytech posted:

I am so thankful that IOS doesn't support flash. I don't care how :spergin: it makes me, I will be forever greatful to Jobs for making that call.

Absolutely. I cannot believe how bad flash is on YouTube for example. On a freshly installed machine, running Chrome, viewing a video using flash on a website built by the same god drat company as the browser and yet it still somehow does not work.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

japtor posted:

Wonder if that explains why the HTML5 beta performance has been blowing rear end for me lately. If I have the beta on, QTKit or some other process spikes the CPU and skips frames like crazy until videos finish loading, while ClickToPlugin and YouTube5 have been fine (have to leave the beta to get those working consistently).

Yeah I've had similar really weird issues. Also, it thinks most videos are 48 seconds sometimes.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I used to have a certain model Billion router which refused to pass multicast DNS packets between interfaces. This ultimately meant that all the poo poo that relies on Bonjour (file sharing, printer sharing, iTunes sharing etc) would not work if one machine was on the wireless and the other on wired. Haven't come across any other routers with the same issue (even other Billion ones) but it could be possible... unless it only just started happening?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

If you're willing to put up with a slightly cumbersome interface you can always use the inbuilt app Keychain Access.app. All your passwords you type in are automagically here, and you can add additional passwords and store arbitrary text notes as well. To actually view a password/note you have to type in the keychain password each and every time so it can be a bit annoying.

To avoid having to scroll through the massive list of passwords in the 'login' (default) keychain, you can make a new one and drag existing ones into there, and make any new ones in there.

If there was a way to make it so you could completely unlock a keychain and view passwords & notes without having to put in the password every bloody time I'd use it.

Granite Octopus fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 27, 2011

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Binary Badger posted:

:siren: Apple just released Safari v.5.1.2 via Software Update. No tech support note yet. :siren:

Shows up as an update in Snow Leopard and Lion.

Argh is this why my software update is going so slowly? I've been without proper internet for more than a month and just got it back this morning. Trying to pull down about 10 software updates and its going at 200kbps.

I hope it's that, and not my wholesale provider having the shitiest backhaul in the universe (probably true)

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I'll be buying Coda 2 from the MAS as soon as Apple allows me to throw my money at Panic. I've been using Coda 1 nearly every single day since it was released. It's minor bugs have become tiresome, so I've been greatly looking forward to this update.

The only thing I'm not sure about are the large tabs on top. I was hoping they would follow in the footsteps of espresso and have a vertical list of open files or something. Though knowing these guys they've probably done a good job of it.

Diet Coda looks awesome too, and will be a day 1 purchase as well. For $10, why not.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

This is what I do. The whole-system-jolt while it waits for Flash to spool up is infuriating to me. Hence none of my Macs have it installed anymore. What I don't get is how it appears to be getting worse with every version.

Although what's more annoying is how YouTube has started preventing you from playing HTML5 video back on the desktop, so instead I manually switch the user agent to iPad while in Safari to get the sweet sweet h264. Hopefully they wont catch on for a little while...

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

A few interesting things I noted, being a web developer using homebrew:

Homebrew still appears to function fine, which was a huge relief.

Web sharing has disappeared from the Sharing preference pane. You have you manually control Apache with apachectl or launchctl. Strangely, once enabled it seems to retain the exact same default configuration.

I had a custom httpd.conf file for Apache, which got overwritten during the upgrade from Lion to ML. Instead of deleting the old file though, it was just renamed to httpd.conf~previous, which is super thoughtful. Moved it back and Apache was fine.

I also had to re-install php5.3, as heaps of the libraries were overwritten. Everything else seems fine though.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Rick posted:

Against my advice, my job has decided to purchase a Mac-Mini with osx server on it for a server for our remote location. For their five Windows 7 PCs. [...]

OSX Server is barely adequate for servicing OSX machines. Using it for Windows clients only seems bananas. You could always run Bootcamp and chuck some flavour of Windows on it instead. Surely that would be easier than shoehorning Windows clients into using a Mac server?

This article might be of use. I remember reading something about the AD/OD changes in it. http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/the-server-simplified-a-power-users-guide-to-os-x-server/

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

japtor posted:

Or (the already included) Preview if the PDF form works with it.

Even if it doesn't work, Preview will let you create a text box anywhere in a PDF document and just type in it. Look for the editing tools in the toolbar.

If you're more hardcore into it I would suggest PDF Pen over Acrobat.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Oddx posted:

There isn't a facepalm big enough, but I just realized today that you can drag and drop directly from the spotlight dropdown. And then I figured of course, if you just hold down command + click, it'll reveal the location of the file in the finder.

Anyways most people probably know this, but figured I'd mention it for the few that don't. It's a time saver, and so much better than running search in the finder to find the path of a file.

I did not know this! Previously I'd just let spotlight finish then click the "show all results" or whatever button at the bottom then sift through to find the real file. This will be a huge timesaver

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I was going to make a post asking about weird mouse jerks and cursor jumping issues, but I've done some troubleshooting and nailed down the problem so thought I would share.

When moving the mouse around, every 10 seconds (on average) the cursor would jump 10-20cm on my 27" iMac. This was happening on a corded Logitech mouse. After unplugging everything then re-plugging, the problem turned out to by my secondary Samsung 22" LCD, but only when powered off. I have no idea why it would cause such an issue. It doesn't occur if the monitor is switched on either. There is nothing in the console about anything weird happening, and Activity Monitor doesn't show anything either.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

If you really insist on having something (and the builtin protection is quite good now, even if its not a full system antivirus scanner as such), I'd suggest ClamXav http://www.clamxav.com. Simple, free, open source no-frills virus scanner. If your computer is anything like mine it will probably find shitloads of Windows viruses in your mail folders, and pretty much nothing else, so at least I know it's working somewhat.

Should this be in the OP?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I've started having a few issues with my 27" iMac running Mountain Lion. All software is up to date, and I've just verified disk and disk permissions (from the recovery partition), and run a virus scan for what it's worth.

I'm getting hundreds of these entries in my console (in /var/log/messages)

code:
25/04/13 12:44:21.659 PM librariand[434]: UBCopyItemListForPath returned unexpected number of items (0)
I've googled for anything like that, but could only find brief mention of the iCloud beta. So I'm not sure how it would relate to me or what I can do about it.

The computer normally gets left on overnight, but twice this week I've woken it up to find the whole system unresponsive, bar the mouse cursor. Looking at the console log, there are again many entries for UBCopyItemListForPath, and also hundreds of entries stating that the file table is full, which I'm pretty sure is why it locked up in the first place. I don't have any idea what is causing this though.

My spotlight index also completely corrupted itself and had to be rebuilt, which could be related. I have also been getting messages in the console about quicklookd being unable to process a preview for a corrupted jpg image.

Any pointers on where to start looking? I thought it might be the hard drive dying, but disk utility insists everything is fine, for what that's worth.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

So I'm at the end of my tether now and would really appreciate any help possible. I don't know enough about low level Unix/OSX stuff to figure this out myself.

The problem is my file table keeps becoming full. In the system log on both my work iMac and home iMac I get hundreds of these:

code:
2/05/13 4:54:22.813 PM librariand[321]: UBCopyItemListForPath returned unexpected number of items (0)
2/05/13 4:54:31.576 PM librariand[321]: UBCopyItemListForPath returned unexpected number of items (0)
2/05/13 4:54:31.595 PM librariand[321]: UBCopyItemListForPath returned unexpected number of items (0)
2/05/13 4:54:38.859 PM librariand[321]: UBCopyItemListForPath returned unexpected number of items (0)
librarind seems to be part of iCloud, so it's my primary suspect. After a few hundred of these errors, I start getting

code:
2/05/13 4:57:58.000 PM kernel[0]: file: table is full
At which point the whole machine grinds to a halt. If I can catch it quick enough i'll do a `killall librariand` and be able to keep using the computer till the same thing happens again.

This sucks if it is a problem with iCloud or one of the apps that I use, since I doubt an OSX reinstall would help, as it would probably just come back (not that I've tried yet).

Both iMacs are running Mountain Lion 10.8.3. I have tried looking at the output of lsof to determine what is using all my file descriptors but I dont understand what I'm looking at.

Is there a logical next step, apart from reinstalling the OS? Is there an easy way to determine which app/service might be causing this?

edit: The story unfolds...

So I think I've tracked this down to Coda 2, and it's syncing of sites and clips via icloud. If I turn off iCloud syncing in it's prefs, all the UBCopyItemListForPath errors stop occurring, and come back a few minutes after I turn it back on. I'll file a bug report with Panic I guess.

Granite Octopus fucked around with this message at 10:31 on May 2, 2013

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

A little late since you've figured it out, but I've seen iCloud syncing to this with even just the contacts built in to OS X. My boss had a brand new 2012 Air, and it started doing this out of the box once he signed in to iCloud. It'd run out of memory after being turned on for a few minutes.

Were you able to do anything to resolve it, aside from just turning iCloud off?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

japtor posted:

I've run into this lately too. I thought it might've been something with my extensions loving up but I disabled them (crashing like hell lately) and it happened a little after that so maybe it's just a Safari bug, unless the extensions weren't fully unloaded at the time I guess.

I had this same issue for months. Switched to Chrome as I couldn't figure out what it was.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Rick posted:

Thanks, even if you can't the Apple site is pretty decent resource and the knowledge that such a thing is possible makes me feel like I'm not wasting my time.

Why not just install some flavour of Windows server on it via boot camp? Or is there something you need osx for?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

lord funk posted:

I feel stupid, but how do you save a Quicktime screen recording without exporting it? There is no Save, and when you close the file (a retarded way to save it), you have to choose an export format. I just want the video to be saved without re-encoding it.

I was having a problem yesterday where none of the export options worked but I really needed to save this screen recording somehow. I found the source file named 'unsaved QuickTime movie' or something like that by just spotlighting for it. Had to copy it to a different mac to export it successfully.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

kloa posted:

You can just direct connect in Finder.

Go > Connect to server or hit CMD-K in Finder and it'll bring up a popup window to enter the computer name to connect to.

kloa posted:

You can just direct connect in Finder.

Go > Connect to server or hit CMD-K in Finder and it'll bring up a popup window to enter the computer name to connect to.

Remember to enable file sharing first under "sharing" in system preferences.

For the absolute fastest way to transfer big stuff connect an Ethernet cable to both directly (no switch or router). They should auto configure themselves for you.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Remember installing Uno on Leopard (?) just to make the window backgrounds the same grey? At least we don't have to do that anymore.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

smackfu posted:

Well, this sure is a user-friendly dialog that was sitting there when I logged in this morning:

I had similar weird issues; I was happily watching a movie on my AppleTV (streaming from my iTunes library) when it suddenly stopped and it couldn't find my library anymore.

Had a look at the Mac and iTunes had tried to update itself, and had managed to kill iTunes, but was showing a dialogue saying iTunes needed to be quit before it could continue... It feels like it may have been to hasty with all it's automatic update killyness. I hope other apps don't start doing similar things because that would be annoying.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

That's an awesome solution to your problem! Going to have to remember that if I'm ever in a similar situation. I always assumed switch controls only meant physical switches.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Kingnothing posted:

Removing a protocol that Apple doesn't include on purpose because it's awful and riddled with security holes is like throwing your machine in the ocean?

Slow down fella. Java != JavaScript

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

ebrawer posted:

Done! I put up some clean screenshots: http://brawersoftware.com/products/ubar

Yeah my desktop was totally overrun:)

Small typo

quote:

If a application has more than one window