Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

kapalama posted:

As mentioned DropBox is great. Spider Sync is OK, but a real pain the rear end to setup.

SugarSync, on the other hand, is a steaming pile of poo.

Really? I've always found SugarSync to work a lot better than Dropbox or the alternatives I've tried. Do you mind if I ask what happened to make you hate it so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009
Not sure whether to post this here or in the hardware thread, but hope you can help. I just had a power cut and my external TIme Machine volume now has a regular external usb icon, rather than the TM one. I tried repairing in Disk Utility and it all seems fine. Do I have to do something to reinstate it in Time Machine, or is it a case of starting a whole new backup?

Also, aren't power cuts exactly the sort of thing you want a backup system to survive?

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009
Ah, it seems to have sorted itself out. Thanks for the help.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

McDeth posted:

Can somebody explain to me how Office 2016 for Mac works? I just want a god drat standalone installer for the office suite but every link to Microsoft puts me at Office 365. We have our own email server so I don't get a poo poo about Office 365 hosted exchange services.

As I understand it, 2016 for Mac is only for Office 365 subscribers at the moment. If you want to purchase outright you'll have to wait until autumn because Microsoft haven't released it yet.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009
Since upgrading to Big Sur it seems that Airplay to my AppleTV 4K has got a lot worse. Playback is choppy and often sound drops out. Anyone experienced similar and have any idea how to improve it? I'm using a 2015 13" rMBP. I know it's an older machine, but Airplay was working OK with Catalina. This is the second time running that an OS upgrade has broken something and I should know better by now.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

mllaneza posted:

Based on personal experience, did the AppleTV fall back to a non-5ghz wifi network ? I had to make mine forget the old network.

Not sure - I'll check. Thanks for the tip.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009
Any recommendations for PDF viewers / editors that have a bit more oomf than Preview, but aren't overly bloated? I could do with some of the professional features of Acrobat, specifically flattening PDFs, outlining fonts, cropping / rotating pages, editing metadata and so on. Less interested in OCR or file conversion.

I know there are command lines tools that do it, but I just don't get on with Terminal.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

japtor posted:

I think you can do most of that with Preview, but assuming you already knew that the main ones that I can think of off the top of my head are PDF Expert and PDFPen, looks like they're both $80. I assume PDF Expert goes on sale and/or in some cheap app bundles cause I have it, so look for deals if you're interested. I assume PDFPen too, otherwise looks like it's on Setapp if you might be into that whole thing.

Thanks. I've probably seen bundles with either of those in before and although I can't find one now, I'm sure there will be one any minute.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

Install apps by dragging them to the applications folder, or running the installer if it’s a pkg file
Uninstall an app by dragging it to the trash

Just adding to this - most apps are installed by double-clicking DMG files, which the Mac treats like external disks. They'll usually open a window that allows you to drag the app into your Applications folder. Once you've done that, you need to manually 'eject' the DMG file by dragging it to the trash or clicking the up arrow in the side pane of a Finder window.

(It was the thing that confused me most coming from Windows.)

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

Sri.Theo posted:

So I can't upload photos to Twitter because they're all in HEIC.

Is there any setting that will automatically convert photos before uploading or get Photo's to convert pictures taken on my iPhone to JPEGS when they're synced?

I know this isn't exactly answering your question, but you can set your camera preferences to "Most Compatible" and it'll save JPEGs for pics and MP4s for video.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

Granite Octopus posted:

I wish I could just run itunes 4 or something. No Apple Music bullshit, just give me a list of songs that I can click to play them.

I use Plexamp atm but it’s not very good. And you need to be running a plex server.

You can disable Apple Music (and the iTunes Store) in Music preferences.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

Sri.Theo posted:

I have a "Microsoft Wireless 3050 Desktop" keyboard and mouse set. The letter keys work fine but a lot of the extra keys do weird things. Is there any software that will let me choose what those keys do? I can't find any current drivers for MacOS.

Karabiner Elements is always worth a try for anything keyboard related.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009
Youtube seems to be poo poo in every browser I use. Not always, but often, the audio plays, but picture freezes and there's a spinning circle in the middle of the player. Then things crap out in one way or another. Sometimes the video fastforwards itself to catch up with the audio, but most of the time the tab crashes. Happens in Safari, Chrome, Arc and Firefox. Any suggestions on how to fix it, or is it just that my Mac is getting old (2015 13" retina MPB 8/256)?

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

Your mac cannot accelerate in hardware the current codecs used by youtube to save licensing costs, you might want to try extensions to force h264 and see if it helps.

That does seem better! Thanks!

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009
Is there a word processor that's basically Textedit's rich text mode but a liiiiittle bit more fully featured? I really only need headers and footers, but basic styles might also be nice. I know about Markdown and like how light it is, but I don't really see the point of making one type of file to make another type of file. Docx and rtf to the bitter end.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009
Tex-Edit looks like it’s only until 10.14. Pages is an option I suppose, but I don’t like the side bar for formatting and the fact that it isn’t doc/rtf native makes me worry about not being able to access files in the future. It would make sync and working on an iPad more straightforward, though I would still prefer something a bit leaner.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

Dans Macabre posted:

Pages has too many things that are stupid and/or not standard that I just can't recommend it for anything. I used to recommend Pages before Word for Mac supported RTL but ever since that started working it's Word for Mac all the way.

Word for Mac definitely has some stupid poo poo about it, and Word in general (even the Windows version) has gotten worse in some areas esp track changes and comments IMO, but it's still one of those apps where it's standard enough that it's worth using because it'll be pretty much the same everywhere and libreoffice is compatible with it down to the keyboard shortcuts etc.

Yeah, logic tells me it's Word, but there's something so sludgy about it even when typing that it just feels off. Also, it takes up too much space on my hard drive. Pages feels a little more limber, but as you say is not standard in a lot of ways. It also produces files about 5 times the size of a normal Docx, just for a couple of pages of double-spaced text.

Nisus Writer Express seems to be hitting the sweet spot for me and is only $26. It also adds to the feeling that I am old as dirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009
Is it still possible to install Windows 8 (or 8.1) via Bootcamp on an Intel Mac? I can't find any info on it - just 7 or 10. Do I just follow the same instructions, but with a Win8 ISO? And I'm assuming 64 bit?