Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Grassy Knowles posted:

Opera been a lot of things now it's a free Chromium for gamers

A gamer browser. What will they think of next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I have a pretty high end gaming PC running Windows, but Microsoft's continued telemetry and constant changing of Windows features has me longing for my days on OS X when I had a Late-2007 MacBook and a Late-2012 iMac. I currently have a 13" 2020 M1 MacBook Pro that I use sometimes, but the screen is constraining and I just prefer actual desktop usage over laptop usage 99% of the time. I saw the M2 Mac Mini on sale for $500 at Best Buy, and the Satechi dock thing the Mac Mini sits on that's the same width/depth as the computer, has me considering getting one to use as my normal shitposting computer and to just relegate my PC to gaming tasks only. Fwiw all I do is shitpost, watch degenerate anime, and play games on my computer, there is zero work being done.

Does it make any sense at all to do this and get a KVM to switch my peripherals between the two systems, or should I just deal with Windows because, while it's not great, it's still usable for my basic needs?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Splinter posted:

I just have a basic 4 port/2 out USB switch with my Logitech lightning mouse receiver, corded keyboard, and headset receiver plugged in, and just swap the monitor via the monitor input button (this part is more annoying if you're using dual monitors, but I just have a single ultrawide). I also have a Varmillo Mac keyboard which can swap between Mac and Windows layout with a 3 second key press, but you can also just have keys remapped as desired on one of the OS if your keyboard can't do that. A lot cheaper than getting a KVM that can handle a high res/refresh rate combo and handle things like gsync correctly if your setup has this.

This probably makes a lot more sense considering I'm using a single ultrawide as well. Also good to know that I'm not the only one who has thought of using one system as their "daily driver" and relegating a much more powerful machine to just being use for a specific task.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Last Chance posted:

oh.. how long have you been able to do this? if it's since mac os x 10.0 then i'm gonna feel dumb

https://i.imgur.com/pU2YBaD.mp4

Get ready to feel dumb…
(At least since Leopard, which was my first MacOS version)

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

You can try SA Mart, or take a hit on value and trade it in to Best Buy or another retailer for store credit. There are a few companies that will just buy them from you as well, sellyourmac.com is owned by OWC.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

How reputable are they? I'm not sure who OWC is.

They've been around since 1988 and have been making gear for Macs since at least the late 90s. I bought RAM for my old santa rosa blackbook from them back in like 2009, and for my sandy bridge iMac in 2012. Extremely reputable company.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 9, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Scrolling on macOS does feel weird, but I downloaded ”Mos” for free and it completely solved the scrolling feeling weird. Mouse acceleration itself feels fine though, and I swap between windows and macOS daily.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

eightysixed posted:

Please tell that to my 2017 Air, because that thing has a fan that might match a leaf blower.

The Apple Silicon Airs lack a fan. It and the Touch Bar were the only real differentiators between the 2020 M1 MacBook Pro and MacBook Air

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

BobHoward posted:

Yep, meant Apple Silicon Airs. I think the one and only fanless Intel Mac was the 12" 2015 (?) MacBook ultra-ultralight.

(whose fandom won't stop jonesing for an Apple Silicon version, because Intel processors were not a good match to no fan)

Didn't the 12" MacBook, ironically, use an Intel Core-m3 processor? Perhaps it is time to bring it back into the lineup.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

You’re right, that was the first model with the butterfly keyboard, so it’d need to be a bit thicker to hold the scissor-switch version

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

HorseHeadBed posted:

Is it still possible to install Windows 8 (or 8.1) via Bootcamp on an Intel Mac? I can't find any info on it - just 7 or 10. Do I just follow the same instructions, but with a Win8 ISO? And I'm assuming 64 bit?

Yes, just use the Win8 ISO.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

yaffle posted:

Weird Installer problem

I'm trying to upgrade my 2020 m1 MacBook Air from Ventura to Sonoma. I have enough disk space. I've downloaded the latest installer package from apple (I spent some time failing with software update and the App Store and got fed up with waiting for a fresh download every time I tried). However, when I launch the "Install macOS Sonoma app" it launches, immediately quits, and deletes itself. I've tried safe mode etc with no change. What could be the problem?

Not a complete solution, but if you move the installer application from the /Applications folder and place it in your User folder it shouldn’t automatically delete itself. As for the hanging/crashing install I’m not too sure. Not finding any other instances of this via google searching. Which version of Sonoma are you trying to install?

Edit: Additional question, since you direct downloaded rather than going through software update or the app store, did you download the .dmg or the .ipsw version of the installer? My understanding is the .ipsw is a restore image, so that might also be the issue if that's the one you downloaded.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Apr 4, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Have you tried running first aid on your install disk from disk utility? I'm not certain that would cause an issue with installing/updating the os, but if there's something corrupted that could potentially be involved. Also to save you from having to download the installer a million times, maybe put it on a usb stick and then copy the installer to your desktop and launch from there, that way if it deletes you still have the one on the flash drive? Sorry I can't be of much more help, this is a really bizarre sounding issue.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

kiwid posted:

There is a pencil icon but it's greyed out. No idea why.

You want to use the icon two icons to the right. The greyed out one is for highlighting and notes in a pdf.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

franco posted:

Ever since the "new" and "improved" System Settings, it always opens to the Appearance section. It doesn't matter if an app is trying to open a specific preference or it's just me opening it where I last left off, it's always Appearance. Is that just a strange hangover on my own install or has anybody else had this? Is it fixable? It's not particularly bothersome, just curious.

That's the same thing that happens for me. It's especially annoying when a downloaded application wants to run and macOS stops it, since it's not from the app store or one of apple's blessed developers, and i have to manually go to settings > privacy & security > scroll about 3/4th down the pane, click "allow" for the app, and then launch the app again. Instead of, you know, the alert that the app wasn't allowed to run letting me jump straight to that screen.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

bless you, god this blows

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

⌘ + Spacebar is the ONLY way I ever launch applications on macOS and I use the equivalent method on iOS pretty consistently too. It's frustrating how close Windows has gotten to allowing a similar flow while still not quite getting it right.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

teethgrinder posted:

What's wrong with the way Windows does it? I've just used winkey to instant search ever since Vista. It was the only way Win8 was bearable too.

Weirdly on Mac I never really used Spotlight, but would make a four-finger pinch for Launchpad and search from there.

I’ve had issues with consistency. Sometimes it pulls up what I’m typing in, sometimes it only gives me a list of bing search results. Other times, on my work PC, it just doesn’t pull anything up at all and I only get a blank box with it acting like it’s trying to find something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

TACD posted:

PowerToys includes a utility called PowerToys Run which is basically Microsoft’s answer to spotlight. The PowerToys suite in general is IMO a must-have for Windows and includes several clearly Mac-inspired utilities.

I must say that it's patently ridiculous this poo poo isn't just in Windows to start with.