Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'm setting up a machine for a buddy of mine. From what I can tell, he got into that whole mac antivirus scam and for whatever reason trying to remove it on his own caused this os x install to no longer boot.

Anyway, so I've got Lion installed on a new drive in his old machine and I noticed that it doesn't come with JRE but its available through software update. Is this going to get him in trouble in the future when he clicks malicious poo poo on the web? I figure anything thats going to do anything bad will at least require him to put in his password right?

Also, I still have his old os drive. Is there an intelligent way in Lion to copy over all of his personal files into the same respective locations including his music, playlists, ratings, etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Grayham posted:

Java will only prompt to install when you're installing something that needs Java. Java applets on the web just won't appear. Install Chrome and he'll always have a browser with an up-to-date version of Flash.

Hes on chrome now so thats fine but I think there are certain Java things chrome won't run and that might get him to click on bad things.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Whats a good music duplicate file/track remover? I'm curious to see how much poo poo has been accumulated in this decades old library I just inherited. Don't worry, I'm going to run it on a copy of the library first.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

IUG posted:

In the File menu there is a "Display Duplicates" option. Usually the best way is to select this, sort the columns in some way that makes sense to you, and then select and delete.

I really don't want to do this for what could be hundreds if not thousands of tracks as this library has probably been merged a few times with itself.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I have a 'bad' drive that I'm trying to get some data off and I'm in the middle on running some diagnostic tools on it.

However, whenever I boot into 10.7 I get a message about initializing the drive. I've been ignoring it out of concern that it will nuke the drive if I choose to.

What does it do?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Are there any games for OS X that can even benefit from having a high-ish end GPU like a 5870?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is it just me or are OS X media players using open source decoder libraries less optimized than windows builds using the same libraries? Or are the decoders just as efficient but something else is causing the disparity?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
When reinstalling Lion from external media, theres a part where it says 'downloading additional components. Your computer will restart automatically' regardless of if you have the machine connected to the internet or not.

At first I thought it was getting updates during the install but I just installed Lion today and when I got to the desktop and ran software update it still wanted to grab the same stuff as when I did a few months ago.

Why does it say 'downloading'? Is it just badly written? Is it for when OS X is supposed to be re-installed from the internet cloud? Is that feature live yet?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yes. I've done Internet-based installs and it slipstreamed 10.7.1 once it was out. I wouldn't be surprised if it did 10.7.2 automatically now. Maybe I'll try tonight.

If I remember correctly, the internet installs only work on the new Macs right? It seems like it should work on older macs bootstrapped by external media but I guess that its too soon for that.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Do I need to enable root user in 10.5 in order to use single user mode? Or can I just log into one of the admin accounts? I need to run memtest os x and the user guide says to log in as root in single user mode to have access to the most amount of memory. Not sure if the memory access restrictions are the same or not for admins vs root.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Sonic Dude posted:

You don't log in as anyone in single-user mode. It's a partially-booted system, where you have access to stuff prior to user accounts and that whole framework being loaded.

Just boot to single-user mode (Cmd-S at startup) and that's it.

I just booted into single user and it says I'm root. Is that just a formality or am I really root? I was never asked for any passwords.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Are there any video players still being supported for PPC builds? Are any of them any good?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Its been 2 years since this article was written:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3759/mac-os-x-steam-performance-half-life-2-episode-2-still-slower-than-windows

Have things gotten better for Macs since?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is there any way to adjust Quicktime's black levels in the windows build? As long as I could remember its always been off-black.

e: Oh maybe its a gamma thing.

vvv Thanks. Didn't realize there's an iTunes thread vvv

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 5, 2012

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
What were some 'good' PPC games during the late G4 and G5 era? Doom3?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 13, 2012

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

jwoven posted:

The Powermac G5 came out in mid 2003, so that would include:

Call of Duty 1 (late 2003)
Quake 3 (2000)
Unreal Tournament 2003/4
Battlefield 1942 (2002)
Diablo 2 + LoD (2002)
Warcraft 3 (2002)
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (2002)
Max Payne (2002)
Zoo Tycoon (2003)
Dungeon Seige (2003)
Halo (2004)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (2004)
Homeworld 2 (2004)

Thanks! HW2?!?! I'll have to check that out.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Frequently Asked Questions:

How do I make a bootable installation disc for Lion/Mountain Lion?
  • Purchase and download Mountain Lion from the Mac App Store on any compatible Mac.
  • Right click on “Mac OS X Mountain Lion” installer and choose the option to “Show Package Contents.”
  • Inside the Contents folder that appears you will find a SharedSupport folder and inside the SharedSupport folder you will find the “InstallESD.dmg.”
  • Copy “InstallESD.dmg” to another location like the Desktop.
  • Launch Disk Utility and click the burn button.
  • Select the copied “InstallESD.dmg” as the image to burn, insert a standard sized 4.7 GB DVD, and wait for your disc to burn.
  • Alternatively, you can restore this image to a USB or FireWire drive for a faster install process.

I know this works perfectly but what is Apple's official statement on upgrading from 10.5 and lower? There are ML compatible Macs that were sold with 10.5 right? I think the C2D mini came with 10.5.

e: so according to this which isn't offocial but cites some official source that the Apple approved method is to install 10.6 first. Seems a bit messy.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1167868/how_to_install_mountain_lion_over_leopard.html

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 1, 2012

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Shin-chan posted:

If you buy it once, you can install it on any computer in your house that is supported.

You only need to install 10.6 first if you plan on upgrading the computer vs. wipe and reinstall. Also make sure your firmware is up-to-date.

What I meant was that burning a disc from the dmg file is not apple approved. Whats the official line from Apple when granny wants to upgrade her 10.5 Mac without opening packages and disk utility.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I can't seem to get migration assistant to work.

A friend of mine accidentally deleted the 'private' dir on her 2007 Macbook rendering it unbootable.

I don't know what version of OS X she had previously. I tried upgrading to 10.7 via USB boot but it says the version installed doesn't support upgrading. So I put in a new hard drive and install 10.7 onto that. Works like a charm.

Now I have her old hard drive hooked up via an external enclosure through FW400. When I run migration assistant it can't find the drive, just keeps searching forever. The drive mounts fine and I can see files on there.

What else can I do? Manually copy the files I guess? I'm not sure where to look outside of the user dir but I don't want to miss anything.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Martytoof posted:

Basically whenever I set up a new Mac I copy my user's Documents, Pictures, Movies, Music, and Desktop contents, but I don't do Apps or anything. I suppose Migration assistant might copy over preference files for apps and things like that, but I like to set up computers from scratch so I do all my installs all over again.

That and I keep most of my stuff on Dropbox.

But honestly, all you should need is to copy those folders over and make sure the ownership is correct. Anything else she should be able to re-sync. Unless her mail is POP, in which case you'll want to certainly copy over the Mail files from your Library, but that's a little beyond what I've done recently so I can't suggest which files to work with here.

Ok, I'll try that. Just figured migration assistant would also track down files stored outside of the user space. Also saves me from having to 'touch' her files, at least directly.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, sorry I can't be any help as to *why* Migration Assistant won't work for you. Basically /private is super important to the UNIX underpinnings so I'm betting it probably relies on /etc/passwd or something which is now unavailable.

I suppose since you're going to this trouble that there's no chance she has a Time Machine backup, right? :(

Not sure how that works. She had 10.4 installed so I guess that didn't have time machine. Maybe 10.7 Migration doesn't work with 10.4 installs? I'm going to try to upgrade her old drive to 10.6 tomorrow to see what happens. Maybe it will let me migrate to a clean 10.7 after that.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Ok, so 10.6 allows me to install over a broken 10.4 but I haven't done it yet. Does anyone know what will happen if I do so? Will the old user accounts be restored? If it can't restore the old user accounts, will they still be safe?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

wolffenstein posted:

It'll move /System to /Previous System, but it won't affect user accounts. Those should remain in /Users untouched.

But will the old accounts still work? Will the show up in the new install as valid accounts I can log into?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

dox posted:

Use CleanMyMac for this type of thing- works flawlessly and very similarily to CCleaner on Windows. And it has an app-deleting function to remove the extra leftovers some applications leave. And if you really need it, you can use Onyx for the real heavy-duty stuff...

Whats going on? Are Macs becoming like PCs now? Is this thing just a placebo or is there actually temp dirs and poo poo that tends to linger and grow on Macs?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Martytoof posted:

Apple should buy or license or steal whatever app cleaners are out there right now and just implement them in the trash can.

Maybe also require MAS apps to dictate where they're going to dump garbage files on your system so the trash can doesn't have to hunt for references.

Honestly, however they do it, it should just be built into the OS. Drag an app to the trash, OS should ask you "keep preference files for XYZ.app?"

What's there to buy or license? Its not like its rocket science and Apple should know more about how their OS works.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Martytoof posted:

Well I'm being generous to existing app developers.

Meh, they know the risk, especially if they are already making money from a few lines of code that just scans the file system and deletes stuff.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Macbook 2007 2.16Ghz C2D. Running 10.7.4.

Do I have any chance of playing back a 720p H.264 x264 encoded file without dropping frames? Current test file is 1280x720 24fps. x264 L4.1 High @ 5526 Kbps VBR. Fastest player I've stumbled across is Movist which I guess isn't currently being worked on anymore. It still drops frames though. MplayerX is worse. Not sure what else to try or should I just give up and live with the fact that I won't be able to smoothly playback this file with anything?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

onoflalks posted:

Have you tried changing the decoder Movist is using for your file? To do that, either click on the Quicktime/FFmpeg logo on the right of the Movist title bar or press Cmd + Opt + O

When I do that I just get an error saying that it can't open the file.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

For a file of that resolution, it's too bad the 2007 MB has the Intel GMA 950 chip, it barely deserves to use the word 'accelerator' in its name. If it had at least an nVidia 9400M, that could do h.264 hardware acceleration and take the brunt of the rendering off the CPU..

Shouldn't a 2.16Ghz C2D be enough to decode that though?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Well this is poo poo. The 720p h264 file my 2007 MP couldn't play back without dropping frames on its 2.16 Ghz C2D plays back fine on my falling apart Dell with 1.3Ghz ULV C2D. Not using CoreAVC on the Dell either. Just the built in decoders that come with MPC-HC.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

What's the graphic chip? An old man with arthritis holding a crayon has a better refresh rate than an Intel GMA 950.

Well I don't think there's anything wrong with the hardware on the MP. Just that there are no good players/decoders. I'm able to play back the Apple encoded 720p trailer for cloud atlas fine.

The Dell has a Radeon 1250 with shared memory I believe. I don't think its much better if at all since its older than the intel 950. I don't think the MPC-HC filters are even using it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

If it's the Radeon 1250, it has hardware acceleration for H.264, VC-1, WMV9, and MPEG-2 video streams, which takes most of the burden away from the CPU and leverages it directly on the GPU.

Intel GMA 950s by comparison barely has MPEG2 support for DVD playing and was intended to be optimized for low power period, speed and all that other bullshit is totally deprecated.

Huh thats neat. I always thought that it was too old and designed before hw decode became popular.

Do any of the 3rd party movie players for OS X support hardware decode if the GPU supports it?

Maybe its me but I've always had the impression that OS X media players have been less optimized vs Windows builds even though they are mostly using the same open source decoders.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Arivia posted:

2) Is it possible to use Automator to set iTunes to play a specific playlist at a given time? I want to add a musical alarm, basically.

cron?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
How does it usually take for these things:

1)Apple stores updating their display machines to a new OS after the OS releases?
2)Apple stores updating their inventory machines to a new OS? Can they even?
3)Apple online store updating their inventory machines to a new OS? Can/do they even?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So Apple keeps track of which machines are eligible for the 'free' upgrade? Via serial number?

TACD posted:

Why do you ask?

Just curious but also curious that my friend who showed me his 'new' MBPR had Lion and not ML.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Sep 16, 2012

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

dexter6 posted:

I have been slowly converting my AVI and MKV collection to m4v using Handbrake, but obviously each run takes a while. I recently tried using MP4Tools and have not had much luck. The videos seem to convert fine, and the M4V files play fine in VLC, MPlayerX and Quicktime however they do not play in iTunes and will not transfer to an iPad.

I have tried the latest stable and the latest beta, with no luck. I've also tried adjusting the frame rate to all of the options and that still hasn't worked. Does anyone have any ideas?

Why m4v? Why not mp4? Are they they same? I used to do the same with x264 and mp4box and was able to get everything to work on iphone/mac/win/xbox/ps3.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

FlashBangBob posted:

Isn't that supposed to be ExFAT (or FAT64)? From what I read its not as space or speed efficient as HFS+ or NTFS.

Exfat sorta works but then there are other OSs that can't mount that like Linux(?) and some of my setup top boxes.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
It would be cool if Apple put in a phone home feature into their new MBs that's part of the EFI so you can't bypass it by wiping/swapping/pulling the drive. They already have all the framework for it to support over network OS installs right?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

evol262 posted:

If you consider a mess of BootServer that depends on multiple technologies operating like clockwork to be "all the framework", then yeah, as much as any other vendor. You can do a lot with EFI scripts, but it'd be easier to wedge a stripped OSX kernel (ala iOS) onto cheap flash storage integrated into the logic board than do it straight from EFI, especially if you think you'd need to deal with anything like wifi.

To track a laptop all you would need is maybe a list of wifi hotspots and the tracking can be done server side. This would of course depend on the OS actually having a passcode to a hotspot as well.

Don't the new MBs support OS install over the network without booting from a recovery partition or removable disk? Wouldn't that mean that Wifi support is already integrated into EFI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

wolffenstein posted:

They might flag the serial number in their database as stolen and show an alert to the Apple employees if the thief or thieves take it to an Apple store.

Why would a thief take a stolen MB to an Apple store? Maybe the unlucky buyer of a stolen laptop I guess.

Seems like a lot of work for Apple to keep track of these cases and also make sure they're not pranks. How can you verify that a caller is legitimate about a stolen device?

I prefer self vigilantism in the case of investigating the where abouts of your stolen device. No one else is going to care as much as you.