Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Upgraded from ML with one issue. Calendar will no longer show my subscribed google (sports) calendars, which really ruins its usefulness. I've tried removing my google account, deleting Library\Calendar with no success. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Only if your IT department requires it, otherwise no. I believe Java remains the biggest exploit opportunity on OS X, especially now that Flash is sandboxed in Safari 7. I don't have Java installed on my Macs, but if you need to use it just be sure to double-check any time something Java related wants to interact with you.

That reminds me that I'm infuriated by Adobe CS5 requiring Java.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

I'm still fighting the lack of subscribed google sports calendar updates in Calendar.app. They show up in the left pane but just will not show on the calendar. I've tried them as delegates, set them to sync to mobile devices in google's settings, deleted all the calendar config stuff, but I'm out of ideas. This worked in ML too. :(

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

jeeves posted:

Macports for 10.9 is out now if anyone still uses that. I'm forced to for work, so hooray I can now start the mindboggingly terrible task of updating a bunch of ancient unix-based scientific software for my clients!

It still has the most up-to-date implementation of Pidgin that I can find.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

duck monster posted:

Why not just use adium?

IRC, mainly. I use Adium for everything else, but pidgin +no_x11 +quartz is quite nice these days.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

My subscribed google sports calendars magically appeared in Calendar after a week. I have no idea what fixed it but I'm glad it did! :confuoot:

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Van Dis posted:

Logitech informs me that my particular mouse (M325) isn't supported in OSX, which is why the Logitech Control Center can't configure it. Any recommendations for a non-mighty mouse with two buttons, a scroll wheel that can tilt, and is compatible on OSX?

Steermouse can probably configure your existing one.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Does textual save chatlogs, preferably in nice HTML format? I use pidgin for this right now, and keep the logs for an RPG I play.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

tonic posted:

Has anyone completely ditched Flash on their Mac? Any regrets? CPU usage is killing me in Yosemite, I think it's time.

Chrome's built-in flash is why I'll only use that browser, at least until flash dies the horrible death it deserves.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

cbirdsong posted:

It's almost as though the people who write ad blockers might be short sighted individuals unable to imagine the consequences of their actions on the larger whole.

Or they might be actual amateurs providing a valuable service to the public. The internet isn't usable without an ad blocker, and it's getting worse again with the drat CSS-based popovers. Anyone know a good way to be rid of those?

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Pivo posted:

You can't really block the CSS popovers because a lot of sites legitimately use them for modals (my company's site sure as hell does). You say, OK only if the style change is triggered by JS that is triggered by a user action - but no, we display popovers when you load the page (like welcome guides and stuff)

LOTS of sites do these now. You can't block ads and not block these. You say ok whitelist sites then, but how do you know what to whitelist if you block it by default? You'll be degrading your UX on the web and it'll be a shoddy heuristic *at best* because there's a million ways to do these things.

The best you can do is block the ads from loading =/ But you'll still have to click an 'x' somewhere.

tl;dr sorry bros

I don't even care about legitimate uses for them, since none of the sites I use employ such obnoxious crap. I just want them gone.

edit: Sites used to use popups for legitimate uses as well, but stopped when everyone started blocking them.

Luceo fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 8, 2014

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Pivo posted:

It's not obnoxious, we use them to guide people around the user interface, or to notify people of certain things like "hey, your credentials / API key expired!".

I can't help you build this kind of extension because as I said it would be a hackish heuristic at best and will break the web.

I'm sure it's not obnoxious on your company's website, to you. It's obnoxious to me, everywhere else. Anyway, this isn't the place to argue about how annoying they are. I was just looking for a browser extension that can kill them, no matter how useful/obnoxious they might be.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Bamabalacha posted:

If I want to keep listening to whatever I had playing when I get home, I just turn on my TV and hit the AirPlay button when I connect the phone to the dock or charger. Granted, you need an AppleTV for that.

I want the ability to airplay to an iOS device without having to use third party software. I have my iPod touch sitting on a Bose sounddock and to use it as a speaker, I have to install Airfoil. That's poo poo and I know Apple's restricting this usage intentionally.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Bamabalacha posted:

Wait, what? If I plug any device into my dock, it comes out of the speakers on the dock automatically. That's been the case with every iOS device and dock I've had going back 6 years. Unless you're talking about streaming from another device to the iPod, but I don't know why you'd do that?

That's exactly what I'm talking about. It's useful to send music from my Mac to the iPod which may be in another room, or outside by the pool, or whatever, I personally think this use case is quite obvious.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

ZShakespeare posted:

Clearly what you are supposed to do is buy a bunch of airplay speakers or airport expresses to airplay to.

Exactly why I'm pretty sure Apple is intentionally hobbling the functionality.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Chrome has flash built-in while Safari does not. One less thing to install and keep updated.

Also, I game all the time in boot camped Win7 on my 2012 MBP and it's perfectly fine.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Why are you posting positives for Safari while trying to support Chrome? :confused:

This would be funny if I didn't still come across flash on a regular basis. Safari's a wonderful browser, but gently caress having to install flash and keep it updated when Google will do it for me and patch any vulnerabilities before Adobe even knows they exist.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Pivo posted:

My 17" MBP isn't retina. I'm the one guy in the thread saying gently caress the retinas because they don't have swappable drives or RAM, but eeeeveryone loves them so I guess I'm wrong.

Just poo poo is really small at default zoom.

I'm actually the same way. Still on my 2012 non-Retina 15" MBP and don't see an upgrade for me this year. Sucks, too, since I like selling them with a year of applecare left.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

I'm still amazed that Dashboard didn't get axed, especially now that Notification Center supports widgets. Maybe next year.

I still use it, but haven't upgraded to Yosemite yet. It's got weather for several cities, stocks, my calendar, and local movie theaters all at a glance. Why get rid of it?

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Any consensus on clean installing vs. upgrading? I usually clean install out of OCD, but I'm not sure if I can be arsed this time around. I can't even remember if I upgraded to Mavericks or not.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Textual 5 is out. It's a new purchase, but I'm okay with that. It was the first app I purchased when the Mac App Store first went up, and I'll support the devs for $5 more.

edit: Changelog is here.

Can Textual log chats in html format? I host an online RPG and having nice transcripts is keeping me on pidgin for IRC.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

vtlock posted:

Right click on the app, choose "show package contents," open the resources folder, and then swap the mac-normal and mac-normal-inverse icons.

Huh, so that's what that gap was in my menu bar. :v:

Still, the icon doesn't seem to do anything anymore when you click on it. In Mavericks it had a dropdown menu.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Snapchat A Titty posted:

It just popped up like 3 times randomly and I have no idea what process is doing it. The only non-Apple thing in my menu bar is dropbox.

There's gotta be a log somewhere or something I can find in Activity Monitor?

Adobe CS5 and 6 require it, much to my annoyance. :argh:

gently caress people, ditch Java already!

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Windows 8.1 is fine now, just like Vista was fine after a service pack or two, but it will always be thought of as poo poo because that's how it started and an OS will never shake that label.

That said, I still use 7 on my boot camp partition, because I'm too lazy to bother upgrading it when I only boot it now and then to play Skyrim. Also, why pay the upgrade cost when 7 is good enough to do that? I'll probably jump to 10 like most people still using 7.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Last Chance posted:

"Win 8.1 is just fine guys. No I would not buy it though, why do you ask?"

Way to miss the point. I would not buy it at the current price and then spend the effort upgrading a partition I boot just for Skyrim, when 7 does that job without issue. That doesn't mean that 8.1 isn't perfectly fine, because it is.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

I've been using macports for years but it's apparently turned into satan or something while I wasn't looking. I've yet to bother to switch. :effort:

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

I just use Filezilla for free and it is good. :effort:

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Last Chance posted:

Filezilla is terrible

OK I'll stop using it despite the fact that it connects to FTP servers and transfer files to and from them without a hitch

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Is there an app that'll tell me what Time Machine thinks it needs to backup? I'm beginning to wonder if there's some stupid cache I need to exclude, because I'll see it wanting to back up a new 700mb chunk when I know that all I've done lately is browse the forums. This wouldn't be an issue except for when TM loves to sometimes upload to the NAS slower than a 56k modem.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

flosofl posted:

As far as I know, TM will back up everything local except for files that are rebuilt on a reboot. So that includes system work files, caches, logs, etc...

For me the biggest offender are VMs. Make a change and the entire vmdk gets backed up again, which in essence means every time you boot one up. I've those, plus external local drives excluded for as long as I've been using Time Machine. I simply make a clone onto my NAS every now and then.

I already exclude my VMs, but this oh hey 700 more megs! poo poo when I haven't even touched my computer since the last backup is getting old.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

TACD posted:

Can you do a diff on two backup folders that you think should be identical and see what's changed?

I hadn't considered that since the TM folders are knot of hard links. I'll see if that works.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Luceo posted:

I hadn't considered that since the TM folders are knot of hard links. I'll see if that works.

As an update, I found a tool called Backup Loupe: http://www.soma-zone.com/BackupLoupe/

This lets you browse each backup to see what was included. I've discovered that ~/Library/Application Support/Google is an excellent thing to exclude. Also, the loving Curse Client has a 180MB log file. :mad:

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

robodex posted:

Didn't they basically kill the Curse client because they gave up on getting it to work properly?

It still works, at least for WoW. Not like there's a choice in the matter other than manually updating addons. I hear they're trying again for a Mac version with the new v5 client.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Three-Phase posted:

No, 10.10.5... and I really don't have any complaints about Yosemite.

I just wish they'd add an option in (without screwing with third-party software) to make the upper-left corner mac icon rainbow. I miss the rainbow icon. :(

I want the longer double flash on selecting a menu item back.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Is there a Twitter client for OSX that does these things:

1) not play animated gifs/whatever automatically (gently caress you, Tweetdeck)
2) allows for filtering/muting
3) previews quoted tweets automatically (this I like about Tweetdeck)
4) works well in a single column view (Tweetdeck is abysmal at this)

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Zenostein posted:

Echofon, being ancient (on the desktop, at least)

1) will not play gifs at all, so you'd have to open them in a browser
2) does mute things
3) nope
4) It's just one column, with tabs for tl/mentions/dms/lists/search.

On the plus side, you can take screengrabs directly from it.

I tried that one and #3 was the stickler. So close! Do either of the big paid apps do these things?

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

chuck2020 posted:

I come to sing the praises of Tweetbot! It's not the cheapest app in the world, but it looks slick, works great, and syncs across all of my devices. I've loved that app since day one.

Froist posted:

Yeah, Tweetbot does everything you're looking for here. It's not free/cheap, but the cross-device syncing is great.

Bought it based on your recommendations and it does everything I'm looking for. Thanks! :cheers:

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Guinness posted:

Is there an easy way to get El Capitan to stop resetting the permissions on /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/share, without permanently turning off System Integrity Protection?

Apple says that even with SIP turned on you are allowed to modify /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/share, but every time I reboot the permissions get reset on those directories, which makes homebrew not work until I manually chown them again.

I've not run into any issues with homebrew on El Cap. I just checked and those folders are owned by me in the admin group.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

I did do a clean install, FWIW. After 3 years I figured it was time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

3-lb sledgehammer fixes all your spinny-drive disposal problems. I mean, yeah, so does zeroing out the drive, but the sledgehammer is more fun.