Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Arc browser gesture suggestion:

If you use BetterTouchTool, setup four finger gesture swiping left and right to switch between your different spaces by binding Option + ⌘ + ⬅️/➡️ only for Arc Browser, and now you can swipe anywhere within Arc and switch between spaces.

Here are all my BTT gestures for Arc (and most other browsers):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

MuadDib Atreides posted:

what actually is Arc? What does it do? The website doesn't explain

My previous impressions/comments on Arc, and 5 more invites.

Corb3t posted:

macOS-only (coming to Windows later this year) Chromium-based browser that is attempting to shake up expectations around what a browser does. It has some Pretty cool features outlined here.

One of my favorite features, Boosts, let you Un-Enshittify many websites with ease, making them halfway useful again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z9bq_Q9qqk

I personally love Arc's powerful Command Bar.

You can even directly search sites from it:
https://twitter.com/browsercompany/status/1646580021858037760?s=20

Corb3t posted:

Edit: Invites used, will post more next week.

I made the switch to Arc as my primary browser this week after using Firefox for the last year or two. Arc still feels noticeably snappier than Firefox, and appears to use less battery life as well.

It took me a couple days to get used to the sidebar navigation layout, but I love that I can use my trackpad or horizontal scroll wheel on my mouse to jump between different spaces/profiles - I setup 3 different spaces with 3 different profiles (Personal, Work, Hobbies), and now I can easily jump to my ~20-30 pinned tabs in seconds.

Arc boosts are also really fun to play with, there's even an online community of boosts that de-enshittify many social networks.

I made an effort to reduce my extensions drastically, as well - I've only installed 1Password, Choosy, Raindrop.io, TrackMeNot, and AdNauseum instead of your standard Ublock.

Other nice features include Being able to search a specific site from the search bar, the ability to easily right/bottom split another window, as well as Arc's mini video player - the way it pops up when you go to another tab with full controls is really nice.

Really, the only thing I miss from Firefox is their Bookmark keywords, which allowed me to assign a shortcut to my bookmarks.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

How about Mac Mouse Fix

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

And the scrolling recommendations. I can't stand the Magic Mouse and the fact that you can't force macOS to treat a regular scroll wheel as "1 wheel click = X number of lines" like Windows is probably the most frustrating thing about macOS for me. It attempts to simulate touch scrolling, but my brain always interprets it as input lag.

I actually use third party mouse software so I can make my scrolling as smooth as possible - I’ve even turned off the ratchet scrolling on my MX Master 3. It’s certainly not for everybody.

Ideally, I’d just buy a magic trackpad and keep it to the left of my keyboard just so I can easily use MacBook-like gestures at my desk - I hate not having access to per-app four finger gestures that let me jump between tabs in most apps.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I don't even think OSX updates had any sort of license or product key back then - I sure as hell wasn't paying any money to upgrade my 2005 PowerBook's OS while I was in college.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I recently got an M2 MBA and it's great especially coming from my 2015 MBP, but this is my first usae of Ventura. I'm trying to make the entire system font larger (I'm 57, my eyesight isn't what it used to be) and it seems like they've made everything granular when it comes to enlarging the font (such as the old command + route) but I need to make things such as the menu font larger. I know I can make desktop fonts bigger but it seems like Apple is saying "lower the screen resolution" as the solution. Is there another way that I'm missing?

Have you messed around with Hover text? Might not be exactly what you're looking for, but may be helpful for you - you can select a hover font size and hold command so it displays it at a larger text size of whatever is under your cursor.

Otherwise, Apple has some support documentation on Making text larger and Zoom accessibility that may be useful.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 29, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Just take photos receipts of products you buy and save them in an iCloud Drive folder. Save a pdf of the manuals as well.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Rclone has a good write-up on exporting your Google Photos properly - I'm pretty sure your photos no longer have EXIF location data though.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Arc is running some back to school thing where you get some free stickers if you refer people, friendly reminder it can be downloaded here.

You can sign up for the Windows preview as well. Should be out soonish.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Tomorrow

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Firefox needs to finally roll out Passkeys and Keychain support.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Step 1) Download BetterTouchTool

Step 2) Add these gestures for your trackpad so you can three finger swipe between apps, swipe down to close, or swipe up to open a new tab.

Step 3) Be sad whenever you're not using your trackpad.

Also great in Finder.

Edit: I went ahead and exported my gesture triggers, they can be downloaded here. You may have to go into the default macOS System Settings and disable/remap any three finger gestures to four fingers - I believe Mission Control is one of them.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 16, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I've been primarily using a Apple devices since 2005, but I was recently given a Windows laptop for work, and hot drat is it jarring trying to get any real work done on it. Not having a top menubar for every app with quick access to keyboard shortcuts is so odd once you're used to having it. Keyboard shortcuts not visually showing that they're triggering like MacOS is really weird too. Mousing over ribbon menubar icons to figure out their keyboard shortcut is just so slow.

Plus the trackpad and keyboard are hot garbage - my body hates the fact that they gave me a laptop with a T10 numpad, shifting the trackpad and regular keys to the left.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 17, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Started using a PowerBook with Quicksilver in 2005.

Switched to Alfred and haven’t looked back - so many nice quality of life elements - clipboard history, snippets, including its integration with my 1P vault, Raindrop, extensions, etc.

Raycast is good, too, but feels a bit slower for me. I hate that they’ve put some features behind a monthly fee. I kinda wish Alfred would swipe some of Raycast’s trigger discoverability, though.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I’ve got some snippets setup in macOS natively (great since it syncs across your devices, convert things like “cmd” to ⌘, (r) to ®), some in Alfred (current date, email addresses), and long form templates and markdown + bbcode snippets in Snippety, since it lets me do more advanced things like setup cover letters and automatically replace variables with a company’s name and such.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 28, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I've been monkeying around in Windows 11 for the first time in ages thanks to a new gig, and I really miss MacOS's top menubar the most. Every app's UI is different, there's no consistency, no easy way to quickly review keyboard shortcuts.

Microsoft PowerToys gets me halfway to where I need to be on a Windows device, but it's just not the same. Funny how the Windows start menubar has slowly transformed into looking exactly like the MacOS dock over the last decade.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

ArcticZombie posted:

They’ll pry the search box in the Help menu out of my cold dead hands.

For anyone unaware (or any of the recent converts), this doesn’t search the built-in help that you never use, as you might expect, it searches the menu bar and all its submenus. It makes discovering functionality a breeze and you never have to remember which subsubsubmenu that thing was in. One of the features of macOS than I miss whenever I’m using another OS.

Totally agree - it's so nice!

The other thing that I like about the macOS menubar is that triggering a keyboard shortcut will cause the menubar item for that action to blink, confirming that it actually triggered.

Atleast PowerToys gets me Finder-equivalent file previews in Explorer, as well as Alt + Space being pretty similar to Command + Space Spotlight/Alfred search.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Arc is trying to improve the way a browser works instead of just being designed to funnel you through Google's services like Chrome is. I would say their development team moves too fast (Updates every Friday), but I'm a huge fan of developers who keep their ear to the ground with their community and experiment - which is what I love most about macOS and iOS app development in general.

I really like Arc's Command Bar, which is basically Alfred or Spotlight for a browser. You can even setup site search prompts to make it quicker to search a website without actually going to it first.

I also really like Spaces, which let me setup different Spaces for different kinds of work - personal space, professional space, hobbies space, and self hosting space.

A lot of the ideas have largely been copied by MacOS directly - specifically Spotlight and Spaces. Their PiP video, split window views, and ChatGPT integration are also really nice.

Not the first time I ran through what I like about Arc - I still use Chrome and Firefox for web development-related work, but Arc has been my primary browser for a while now and I couldn't imagine going back:

Corb3t posted:

I made the switch to Arc as my primary browser this week after using Firefox for the last year or two. Arc still feels noticeably snappier than Firefox, and appears to use less battery life as well.

It took me a couple days to get used to the sidebar navigation layout, but I love that I can use my trackpad or horizontal scroll wheel on my mouse to jump between different spaces/profiles - I setup 3 different spaces with 3 different profiles (Personal, Work, Hobbies), and now I can easily jump to my ~20-30 pinned tabs in seconds.

Arc boosts are also really fun to play with, there's even an online community of boosts that de-enshittify many social networks.

I made an effort to reduce my extensions drastically, as well - I've only installed 1Password, Choosy, Raindrop.io, TrackMeNot, and AdNauseum instead of your standard Ublock.

Other nice features include Being able to search a specific site from the search bar, the ability to easily right/bottom split another window, as well as Arc's mini video player - the way it pops up when you go to another tab with full controls is really nice.

Really, the only thing I miss from Firefox is their Bookmark keywords, which allowed me to assign a shortcut to my bookmarks.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 1, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

This was in Firefox like two decades ago (and Mozilla/Seamonkey before that) but it is increasingly impaired by those fields being driven by JS rather than just being forms. If the Arc kids have figured out a good way to deal with that, that would be pretty valuable.

Site search definitely isn't new, and Arc could be better at implementing it (I submitted a feedback report requesting the ability to right click like in other browsers), but you're right, not every search box has this option in other browsers, so some have to be manually added. I do enjoy the fact that Arc's Command Bar displays the site search name when you type the shortcut for it.

The one thing I miss in Arc that Firefox has is Bookmark Keywords - essentially, map specific bookmarks to 1-2-3 letter shortcuts and you can type them in Firefox and that site will load every time. I use this for different work-related websites, sharepoints, devops, staging, pre-prod, etc, so I just use Firefox professionally whenever possible.

It's not on macOS, but there is a nifty iOS Site Search extension called Keyword Search that I like.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

rufius posted:

A novel and exceptional state.

I kinda wish more software was like this. I’ve done it with my personal projects, but it’s rare to see otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5REM-3nWHg

George RR Martin writes on a DOS-based computer using WordStar 4.0 from the 80s. I actually just read a great article about this idea, The beauty of finished software.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Lawen posted:

I'm assuming I can't keep paying $99/yr for 5+ years and keep AppleCare coverage on an old-rear end computer, correct?

You absolutely can, that's how AppleCare+ monthly/annual works for any device. iPhones too.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I updated to Windows 11 on my work laptop and it made me happy because it’s getting more and more Mac-like with every update.

Give us the system wide top menu bar you cowards.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

Yeah he uses windows defender on his current laptop. The issue is the fact that it visibly updates daily, whereas apple only issues security updates when they’re needed. Plus I was able to point him to comparative tests which showed that windows defender was as good as third party alternatives, whereas that’s not really a thing for Macs, because third party security software has never been a big thing.

At the end of the day, I can’t just tell him something like that and have him accept it, he just says ‘well that’s your opinion, I don’t care about your opinion, I just want to be given raw facts and data so I can form my own conclusions from them’

I’ve basically just given up. I’ve told him what I think he should so, and explained MacOS security as I understand it and told him to do what he wants

How about this angle - Macs are more like his iPhone (or iPad), which doesn’t have any background antivirus apps constantly updating and scanning. You really don’t need AV software like you don’t need it for your iPhone, but if you do, Mac AV software isn’t updated every day because there just aren’t that many new security risks being introduced.

Is AV software on Android a thing?

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Nov 18, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Splinter posted:

Your reasoning for needing AV on Android (no one does this) supports his need for AV on a Mac (daddy can bypass the Mac App Store to download whatever unverified crapware he wants from a web browser). A Mac isn't like an iPhone in this regard. So maybe rethink this angle.

Ehhh… he can teach his dad to not install unsigned apps. It’s turned off by default, and telling your dad, “don’t install unsigned apps” should be a good enough an iOS-equivalent situation.

It’s not like he’s some power user downloading random GitHub apps.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

What are the advantages of this vs a basic external hard drive? Would Time Machine work with a basic external hard drive (the sort that is just plug and play storage with no software) or does it need something that comes with built in software?

Time Machine with a NAS is more automated and he won't have to even think about doing back ups manually - it's constantly in sync. The same can be said with utilizing iCloud drive and just storing all his important files there.

I'm guessing your dad would prefer janitoring his backups over having them be automated. I'll use this opportunity to get on my soapbox and just warn you and your dad that having your backup drive onsite where a fire could destroy everything isn't the suggested method for backing up one's important data.

Is he scared of Apple having a copy of his e-mails from a decade ago? :tinfoil:

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 20, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Accountants are so funny. Shocked he hasn't been forced into using cloud-based Accounting software by now - I worked on accounting software years ago and all of our solutions were SaaS-based cloud apps so accounting firms can access their client's files on any device from anywhere with no need to backup any data.

We definitely had some stragglers who refused to move off our older archaic platforms, though.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

I don’t understand why “file got real big and was first created a long time ago” means that it’s natural for it to be corrupted. Seems like something that the software should be easily able to handle in terms of storage integrity, even if operations on it are unwieldy.

Consumers are cheap, bit rot is real, and the necessary space needed to prevent it isn't worth it to most, I'd imagine. Most drives aren't even formatted in a file system that tries to prevent bit rot, and the solution is a multi-drive NAS that check for such things.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 20, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

actionjackson posted:

oh for IINA, how do I get the status bar to hide when in full screen? or whatever it's called, the file, playback, etc. menus and the mac stuff in the upper right

Mine just automatically disappears when I go into full screen mode and don’t touch the cursor for a second.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Last Chance posted:

oh.. how long have you been able to do this? if it's since mac os x 10.0 then i'm gonna feel dumb

https://i.imgur.com/pU2YBaD.mp4

Since at least 2005?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

DigitalRaven posted:

Photos is pissing me off by two apparently-missing features

1) Subtractive search in albums/media types. e.g. "Imports but not in Memes", so I can see things that probably should be in an album but aren't, and move only the ones that should be.

2) A media type album for "regular photos". It'll do literally every _other_ media type, but if I just want to see poo poo that I've taken that's synced from my phone? Nope...

If it turns out I'm wrong I'll be very happy. I'd also be very happy for a shortcut that'll do either, but I'm not shortcut-aware enough to do either.

Have you played with smart albums? You can choose "Camera Type" and select any number of camera or device you want to include in that specific smart album filter. It's pretty powerful, and you might be able to figure something out about #1 as well.

I have a bunch of smart albums that use OCR to filter out stuff. I really wish Apple would add smart albums to iOS, same with smart playlists for Apple Music.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

DigitalRaven posted:

That's really useful, thank you. Smart albums got what I wanted for #2, but it doesn't (appear to) have a way to identify imports. But even so, just having a way to see "photos I took" is so very useful.

With Smart Albums, you should be able to choose "Album" "is not" "Memes" and it should filter out anything included in that specific album you don't want to see.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Zenostein posted:

What do you even need favicons for, the browser has its own built in expose` if you can't tell what any of your entirely too many tabs are.

Icons are a way to quickly identify something without having to actually read it without using much space on a display.

For example, I couldn't tell this thread's tab is on SA without seeing the grenade favicon, because the thread title is too long and the tab cuts off the part that says "The Something Awful Forums".

They're great.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 29, 2024

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Yeah, I bite the bullet and use Logitech’s software on macOS so I can flip scrolling with the mouse and adjust per-app functionality for my Mx Master 3. I’m sure there are third party apps that use less resources but are more of a pain to set up, or cost money, so I just deal with Logitechs software.

MacOS’s window snapping management out of the box isn’t very good either, but expose, multiple spaces, and trackpad gestures are “good enough” for most (Windows swiped these features, funny enough).

Some claim Microsoft own the patent for window management and that stops them swiping that functionality, but if you’re super particular about that kind of thing, there are dozens of < $10 apps with all sorts of approaches to windows management that might work for you.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

So for Clipboard history, I like PastePal - It's a universal app, so it has an iOS companion that syncs up your history on iCloud so you can easily access it from your iPhone.

Alfred Powerpack also has a Clipboard History, but it's less user friendly and more expensive. I have and use both in different situations.

For copying and pasting more advanced snippets with formatting like cover letters, resumes, BBcode, markdown, etc, I use Snippety, which is a universal app as well, but it's definitely more of a power user thing.

As an example, for SA URLs in this post, I type ";[" and this pops up to fill in:

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 20, 2024

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Or ⌘ + click to open in a new tab.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Having a hardware token for your Apple account is great if you you’re worried about somebody attempting to login to your account from a non-authorized device.

It doesn’t do much if somebody physical possession of one of your Apple devices and the passcode, though. You may need to register two tokens to prevent an accidental loss of one of them and being locked out, too.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

god this blows posted:

I'm fairly new to macOS. Two years ago when I switched jobs they gave me the offer of PC or Mac and I decided to jump in as they gave me a nicely specced 16" MacBook Pro so I've been learning the nuances of things. I liked my work machine so much that when my desktop had some component failures I got a MacBook Pro for my personal machine. I'm always looking for tips and tricks and if you know of any others I'm all ears.

Download Alfred and/or Raycast, map them to something memorable like ⌘ + Spacebar and force yourself to open every app, website, file, and folder from the search bar. Do this with iOS, too.

Remap your capslock to ⌘ or Esc.

BetterTouchTool is another great tool for remapping keyboard shortcuts. You can do all sorts of fun tricks with it.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 25, 2024

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

My ⌥ ⌥ is set to Alfred menubar search, a must have extension for a dummy like me who can’t remember every apps keyboard shortcut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Branch Nvidian posted:

I must say that it's patently ridiculous this poo poo isn't just in Windows to start with.

This is Window’s problem in a nutshell. How many apps replace other apps that never get sunset?