Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
As of yesterday, I have my first mac, an air. I'm still getting used to this thing, but I have a question about my mouse. I have a Logitech usb mouse that has a scroll wheel that can "click" left and right. On my pc those clicks were mapped to "back" and "forward" in window pane navigation (like to go back or forward in my internet browsing), but the mouse preferences in System COnfig on my mac don't seem to support that. Am I missing the setting somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah it will let you do it.

Oh cool, that looks like exactly what I need. Is that the Logitech Control Center? I installed it and it doesn't give me an option to configure my mouse, even after it syncs with it:

Or did I download the wrong software :xd:

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Ninja Rope posted:

I think apps open on the screen you opened them on. Like if you go to your dock and click mail, it will open on that screen. If you want it to open on another one, you need to click the dock icon on that screen. Maybe you can fix it to a screen by control-clicking the icon and selecting that under options, but I've never tried that.

I don't know what's up with the Logitech software but Better Touch Tool can probably do this too.
Better Touch Tool is neat but lacks that functionality. I'm gonna call up Logitech and/or take this to the apple store to see if they can fix it. Thanks for the rec tho.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Logitech informs me that my particular mouse (M325) isn't supported in OSX, which is why the Logitech Control Center can't configure it. Any recommendations for a non-mighty mouse with two buttons, a scroll wheel that can tilt, and is compatible on OSX?

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Is there any way to have my trackpad keep inverted scrolling but my wireless mouse do normal scrolling?

Better Touch Tool can handle that.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
A cautionary tale:

I bought a new Air last month, and it had constant WiFi connectivity issues on my work network. It would lose connectivity frequently (like once a minute), it would show a valid IP address but not connect to the network, it would lose sight of the network at random, stuff like that. Apparently the 2013 Airs sometimes have this issue, particularly those with a particular wifi driver:

quote:

c) 6.30.225.29.1 is the wireless driver that came with the OS X 10.8.5 maintenance release to specifically remedy the known AFP networking issue, which is not related to this support thread. Unfortunately, this latest wireless driver from Apple and Broadcom still contains the persistent latency bug that came out with 6.30.223.74.35.

The kicker is that rolling back to a previous version doesn't solve the issue. I had Apple swap out last month's laptop for a new one, which seems to have fixed the problem. The tech suspected it might have something to do with the fact that new Macbooks have 802.11ac but I dunno if that's a factor or not. This new machine has Mavericks as a native OS and the problem seems to be solved but I suppose time will tell~

edit: the problem appears to not be solved, because i'm still getting the same kinds of wifi errors. drat you steve!!

Van Dis fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 17, 2014

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
If you're keyboard-inclined, Quicksilver is the best app launching tool I've ever used.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It was added in Lion.

Also notice that every symbol that appears has a number under it? Press the number. I assume this is what you're talking about :

edit: Oh you're talking about customer user shortcuts like 'omw' and such? Nevermind -- I didn't realize OS X synced those now. Can we get a screenshot of your problem? I don't understand the interface issue you're having. As best as I can tell, they behave like autocorrect.

Related question: can I turn the suggested character thing off somewhere? It prevents me from repeating a character by holding the key down.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
How long do you think I can avoid having an icloud or appleID. I wonder.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Any recommendations for photo editing software that is good at stitching together panoramic images, preferably free? Pixelmator doesn't have this function, surprisingly.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

TACD posted:

My go-to software was always Autostitch.

Thanks, this isn't bad for a free little program.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I prefer the flatter 2D icons in Yosemite because 3D icons are excessively bourgeois and serve only to distract us from our capitalist oppressors. The dog barks at midnight. Blackcurrant. Go.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
El Capitan runs basically the same as Yosemite did on my late 2013 MBA, except now I have 6 gigs fewer of sdd space. Thanks, Apple.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I had to reinstall OSX (El Cap, 10.11.6) and can't figure out how to use the trackpad gesture to show the dashboard. I used to be able to swipe left with three fingers and it would bring it up. I [i]have[i] activated the dashboard as a space in the system preferences but the gesture doesn't work, and all the help pages I find on the topic are for Yosemite. I'm definitely missing something obvious, what is it?

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Last Chance posted:

This is from a while back, but I think I remember you have to disable any other three finger gestures that might be enabled before you can use the three finger swipe to change spaces.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried this and it didn't work. What's weird is that there isn't even an option for dashboard control in the trackpad settings:

The only place it gets mentioned is the keyboard settings, where I could change the keyboard shortcut, but not substitute a trackpad gesture. How the heck did I do this before?

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Zenostein posted:

Mission Control prefpane (this is 11.6)

e. Obviously, you don't wan't "as an overlay" set. "As a space" should pop Dashboard on the far left.

Van Dis posted:

I had to reinstall OSX (El Cap, 10.11.6) and can't figure out how to use the trackpad gesture to show the dashboard. I used to be able to swipe left with three fingers and it would bring it up. I [i]have[i] activated the dashboard as a space in the system preferences but the gesture doesn't work, and all the help pages I find on the topic are for Yosemite. I'm definitely missing something obvious, what is it?

That's where I started, yo. The dropdown gives mouse options, but no gestures, unless I'm misreading it.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Last Chance posted:

Second option down "Swipe between full-screen apps": try enabling that

Holy hell that worked! Why, I don't know, since there's nothing about the dashboard there, but I guess OSX considers it an app (and a space? but not an overlay? these terms are unclear and don't seem to refer to anything else in the OS either) when it's enabled. Thanks!

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I had two weird things happen today on my macbook (10.11.6), for the second time in a couple weeks, so I'm posting here to see if anyone has any insight:

1. jpgs somehow became associated with firefox, despite nothing happening that would have changed the filetype association. I didn't even open any jpgs using firefox.

2. My desktop icons rearranged themselves. I don't mean that they snapped to a grid or became ordered by name or extension, but I actually watched them move from folder-folder-jpg-jpg to jpg-jpg-folder-folder, then move back a couple minutes later. Nothing in my finder view preferences changed.

:psyduck:

Van Dis fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Just in case, download Malwarebytes and do a scan.

Since you didn't give us a model / year I can only assume your machine has a platter drive that's starting to die..

Malwarebytes says I'm clean. This is a late 2015 macbook air with a ssd. I suspect it's just a weird OS bug but seriously wtf kind of bug causes icons to move around randomly