Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

Shyfted One posted:

I guess it's hard to tell before reviews are out, but my sister wants to get a MacBook for college and I'm wondering if she should use this opportunity to get an Intel one on sale from Costco or wait until next year to use her Edu discount and get an ARM version. I doubt she's going to need it for anything more intense than what the base model MacBook Air can handle as she's going to be in the Education department.

I would just wait and use her edu discount on whatever computer is recommended by the college. There may still be software incompatibilities that might be a bummer for her major.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

I do love that because JS sucks so much they had to start doing some completely ridiculous stuff in SW and HW to optimize for how much it sucks, then making it run really fast compared to other tech, which then encourages people to continue building in JS. The circle of life!

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Mad Wack posted:

my bet is having ram right on the chip in the pipeline is what’s driving this, excited to see more real world testing

Either that or the ARM processors architecture. How it interfaces with the RAM. Less caches in the way. I mean to say it may not need to be on package to make that possible. Hoping that they may just be able to soldier to board for larger ram sizes. ( I don’t think they will do replaceable if they have a choice in the future)

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

gret posted:

Thinking about replacing my 2015 5k iMac with a Mini but can't quite pull the trigger because the only external monitor I have is a 24" 1920x1200 Dell monitor. Otherwise the M1 benchmarks absolutely murder both the CPU and GPU on my 5 year old iMac.

If you like your iMac just wait till the iMac gets refreshed next year.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

shrike82 posted:

what kind of heavy lifting do goons do on their macs?

x64 VMs so we shall see what VMware has up their sleeve.

But also arduino programming and circuit design tools. Mostly Java. Mostly on fire.

Some Xcode programming when the mood strikes.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Youtube being Youtube.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Ok Comboomer posted:

The Air scores about twice as well across the board as my seven year old MBP. I was honestly impressed when the quad core i5 Air matched it, but it’s finally becoming time. The old itch. It has returned.

Yes, I've been really thinking about that Air now. No fan, does basically everything I need in a notebook, I still have the "old" new Mac Mini Intel that is specced out if I really need something specific that the new Air can't run. I think I'm in.

I wouldn't be except my rMBP mid-2012 can't go to big sur (although that might be a blessing in disguise) and is just feeling very slow.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

mediaphage posted:

i agree that it’s dumb the cheap one doesn’t have it

not because i think it’s a big deal for consumers as much as for education customers tho imo

Yes, this makes me sad for a lab of iMacs.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

badjohny posted:

I would imaging any labs or whatever that really need wired ethernet will pay for the higher model, or drop 20 bucks on a usb3 to 1gb ethernet adapter. You can get a 5gb adapter for under 100.

Adapters can be removed. And will be because children are children. But yea might go for a higher model. Still sucks though.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Won’t you take me to... dongletown.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

mediaphage posted:

unpopular opinion but i’d rather have magsafe in the back on the left mostly because i’m a lefty and i have all my poo poo like papers and stuff on the left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

TACD posted:

Apple’s whole thing is finding the absolute most you’ll pay for a thing, then turning the screws and making you hate yourself while you pay 10–20% more than that

While telling yourself it’s only a little bit of pain for five or so years of computing bliss so might as well.