Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

So just got a MacBook air for school to replace my ancient Asus one. Should I cancel that order and wait for the new ARM stuff or just stick with what I got for now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Thanks what I thought but wanted a second opinion.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

FCKGW posted:

How long until we get some reverse Hackintoshes where they try and get Win 10 running on the M1 Macs?

Time for WindowsRT to shine!

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Deep royal purple plz.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Is there any image that goons won't slap that mans hands on? Also lol

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Take it there is going to be a wait before these new chips pop up in minis?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

TheMadMilkman posted:

I can’t wait to see what the next mini/air/13” mbp end up being. It’s clear that their releases were a stopgap to get the ball rolling on the AS transition, and I imagine that we’ll see form factor changes for all of them.

Personally I am waiting for a new mini, especially if it comes with the max chip in it.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

RocketLunatic posted:

I’ve seen the rumors that the next Mini and MBA will feature a M2 which will be improved but not as good as the Pro and Max.

Apple really gonna thread the needle on these releases.

Any word on what will be improved?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

hatty posted:

Apple restricted the student discount program now they ask for actual proof:kingsley:

Oh well nice while it lasted

Sign up for a gym class at a local community college, get the student id and email address, refund the class before the first day.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

hatty posted:

I wish my ten year old 1080p monitor will die so I can justify buying a new fancy one

Can always just perch it precariously on the edge of your desk and let gravity/cat/god/fate do the work for you.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

So have been eyeing the mac studio but I have a ton of stuff that I have backed up on my PC that I wouldn't want to lose so I would need some kind of external hard drive. Don't think I need to go full NAS but I am looking at something that is at least 10 TB in size, so don't want to waste my money.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should look for?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Thanks everyone for the drive suggestions, probably going with the GDrive but will most likely format it to be cross compatible.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

So I am waiting on my Mac Studio to ship and I am doing some planning on how to transition over to using it full-time. The problem I am noticing is that I may not have enough USB port for all of my peripherals. With the keyboard, mouse, headphones, webcam, and external storage drive if my math is right I won't have enough to have them all plugged in at once.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a USB hub that is not crap that will work with the studio?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

Apple Studio Display does this wonderfully while also being one of the best monitors you can buy.

That being said I think your math is wrong? You have 2 USB-C ports on the front; 4 thunderbolt/USB-C on the back, 2 USB A on the back and a headphone Jack.

You can very easily buy USB A to C adapters if needed.

Ummm you are right, I forgot about the two usb-a ports on the back.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

So is the Studio display actually worth it if I were to upgrade from a 2k 144hz monitor? Not any high end graphics work being done on it, would mostly be more media, coding and gaming usage.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

actionjackson posted:

if it's console gaming, i assume you can just use an hdmi to usb-c adapter

but there are probably monitors that work just as well for less than 1500, unless you REALLY want 5k

Ok Comboomer posted:

lol no

You can get three 27” Dell 4K displays, or three 32” Samsung 4K displays, or whatever, for the money if you’re ok settling for 60HZ, which the Studio display is limited to anyway

That is what I was feeling too, it just seemed really overpriced for what it was offering. Thanks for talking some sense into me.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Okay, so hopefully this question won't start a fight this time, but does anyone have any recommendations on mac supported mechanical keyboards (brown switches preferred) or mice? Most of the functions work on the the ones I am using currently, but just little features that I am missing that make using what I previously used on windows annoying now.

For example I can no longer hold down the middle scroll wheel to drag a document back to the top, I have to scroll manually now. Also the function keys on my keyboard don't work and every time I restart the OS asks me to identify my keyboard.

Just looking for something that works out of the box I'm guessing.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

hypnophant posted:

price? das has a “for mac” brown mx keyboard, though i have to say my preonic works flawlessly and I imagine most qmk boards are the same

for mouse, god’s own mouse the mx master 3 with the most perfect scroll wheel ever created is also available “for mac” though the regular one also works flawlessly with downloaded logi options

Not looking to break the bank on it so a DAS keyboard may be a bit much.

Also that mouse looks very similar to the Mionix one I have now, so that should work.
Thank you will add that to the spreadsheet to compare.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

Seriously Brother printers rule so hard. It’s an absolutely dream going from HP bullshit to one of theirs.

This, so much this. Have been using Brother stuff at home for a decade now.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

nom epique posted:

I thought switch had Hecka games?

Nah you are thinking of the PS5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Not sure if I should consider this a hardware or software problem, but has anyone had issues with their monitors and a MacStudio? I have been getting temporary vertical lines, burn in and just general oddness every few days. While it is an easy fix, changing the RGB color profile for some reason, it is really getting old.

Should I consider getting new cables? A new monitor (this one is over 6 years old)? Or should I take back the studio?