Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

KingKapalone posted:

Is there a way to make an OS re-install bootable USB from the OS itself? Don't have access to any sort of DVD and don't plan on buying an OS I don't use.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Have you followed those instructions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Got a 2017 15-inch with an intermittently unresponsive left command key. Canned air and running some paper under it didn’t help. Can key caps on 2017 MBPs be removed? I’m wondering if maybe there’s some dirt stuck under it.
Sounds like you're having the keyboard issue, time to take advantage of their keyboard service program.
https://support.apple.com/keyboard-service-program-for-mac-notebooks

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

What exactly is to gain by putting the ssd controller on the soc and thus making it difficult or impossible to transplant the storage device for recovery/upgrade/testing/etc?

Every SSD doesn’t need the controller now so you save 1 chip on each “drive”. At apple’s scale I’m sure it adds up

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

So I start a new job with a new company next week and I’ll be getting a 16” M1 MacBook Pro. I’ve always used a windows pc so I know there will be some getting used to. What would be the best headset to get? Any other pointers to keep in mind. Several years ago I did do a hackintosh and it was fairly easy to use and my wife had been using a Mac for years at her job.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

I’m glad to hear that the AirPods are a good choice for things like Zoom and other meetings. My pc headset was a single ear one and I liked it as I could still hear my dogs get into things. I’ll take a look at the different options.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

SlowBloke posted:

Since there is going to be an iPhone event soon, I would suggest holding until then before purchasing any airpods. I wouldn't be surprised if they launched a new model.

I have a pair of original AirPods that I can use when I first start so I am not in a rush and they're supposed to give me a wired headset. The problem is I had the Mac or PC option when starting and I picked Mac but no clue if IT actually looks at what you're getting before sending the equipment.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

So my new work bought me a 34” ultra wide that has 90W PD. Everything I’ve read said it’ll power a 16” MacBook Pro fine but is it at less than full speed or anything?

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

From what I understand it’s mostly an issue if you’re really flogging the computer for hours

Ok that’s not bad then as most of the time I won’t be. I think I might from time to time hammer the machine but my role won’t typically be flogging it.

I just wanted to have one cable for everything. I’m embracing this future world of one cable. So used many cables as my last company laptop had tons of cables

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Perplx posted:

The m3 will have av1 decode because the new iPhone does. It might have encode too, and maybe thunderbolt 5 since that was announced.

We’re in this weird space where everyone is saying the M3 will be the true second generation Apple Silicon but I’m not entirely sure it’s going to happen. My PC has been somewhat of a money pit recently with video card and power supply issues and I’m looking at a Mac replacement but trying to hold out for the M3 to see if I can go with a Mac Mini over a Studio.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Busy Bee posted:

I have a 2023 14" MacBook Pro M2 and since I travel a lot, I'm looking to consolidate all my different travel plugs.

What is the minimum required wattage to charge my MacBook? I don't do many resource intensive tasks except for some video calls here and there.

Do you have any recommendations on any safe and reliable travel plugs that I can use while abroad? I like a lot of the Anker options, but I don't have much faith in using a travel adapter with the Anker and plugging the brick into the wall.

I have a 14” MacBook Pro M3 Pro and I use https://a.co/d/fZyAK0b for my charging purposes. It takes a minute or two for it to start charging when plugged in. It will do 65W when only the MacBook is plugged in and will drop to 40W if all of the ports are in use but it still charges and it is very compact. There are newer ones that will do 100W but I don’t see a reason to upgrade yet. I highly recommend Anker.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Busy Bee posted:

Thanks for sharing. Why does it take a minute or two to start charging? I also really like Anker but since I will be using it to travel a lot (and changing travel plugs), I haven't had good experience with the straight to wall adapters with an added travel plug since the weight of the adapter makes everything very unstable.

When you plug it in it immediately switches from battery to wall power but the actually battery charging takes the time. I am guessing it’s some PD spec or something. I hear you on the plug portion of it, and it’s the one thing I wish Anker did. I have heard good things about ugreen and they make one with swappable plugs https://www.ugreen.com/products/ugreen-65w-nexode-gan-usb-c-3-port-charger-with-us-uk-eu-plug-for-travel

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

It is faster then the M3 Pro 12 core in many things but people also pointed out that Geekbench 6.3 added support for Arm Scalable Matrix Extensions (SME) instructions which may account for a bunch of the speed increase. I have no clue if this person is telling the truth but per their analysis all of the speed increases are due to that. Either way it seems like Apple is quickly moving on from the M3 line.
https://x.com/negativeonehero/status/1788360191471431919

edit: I also did a comparison of one of them to my 12-core M3 Pro and while single core is faster multi-core isn't. https://browser.geekbench.com/v6/cpu/compare/6021405?baseline=6025843

editx2: looks like they updated their analysis and there is ~3% IPC increase. My bad for not looking for an updated tweet from last night.
https://x.com/negativeonehero/status/1788364108737466609

god this blows fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 9, 2024

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Branch Nvidian posted:

Not me grumbling that the new iPad Pro out performs my 14" M3 Pro MacBook Pro for less money.

Hey, I just got my M3 Pro MacBook Pro a month or so ago so I feel your pain. While I do agree this one benchmark makes it seem bad I'm holding out for other tests to see what the real performance difference is.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Canned Sunshine posted:

Thanks for the additional information! So it looks like M4 is going to be largely M3 + additional/improved NPU cores, maybe with a slight increase in CPU and GPU core counts for the Pro/Max/Ultra (if they do an Ultra, which I assume they will). Which makes sense, since M4 would be on a TSMC N3E I believe, compared to M3's N3B.

Edit: That M4 (4p6e core) vs M3 Pro (6p6e) comparison is pretty useful, since I'd expect some additional uplift once you equalize out the performance cores.

I would be interested to see how an M4 Pro would fare against it. I'm not sure when that one might be coming out. A little annoying that they released the M4 so quickly but I just have to tell myself the laptop was the best I could get when I needed one. My power-supply was failing on an older machine and I had more of a need for a laptop than a desktop so I bought it. I figured April was a decent time as there was no way Apple was going to release the M4 before September... Boy was I wrong.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Kibner posted:

I mean, people are still generally happy with their M1s. Unless you need that extra processing power to cut down the time it takes to create something, it's largely still great and high performance with incredible battery life.

I honestly would've been fine with an M1 or M2 machine but got the M3 as it was the "best" I could get at the time. I'm actually not that upset as there will always be something better released. This machine is more than adequate for my use and will be for a decent bit of time. The quality of life improvement from changing from a desktop to a laptop has been worth the cost already. My work machine is a M1 Pro and I barely make that thing break a sweat and I'm in the application security space so I'm compiling code and doing various tests against things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

incoherent posted:

Can anyone comment if we'll see a striking difference when the M4 comes to Macbook? I don't think i've looked into the overhead of xOS vs the full Mac OS stack and apple does a good job of keeping that information farrr apart from each arm when they're pitching new hardware.

The biggest difference is going to be the applications that are allowed. iPadOS and iOS don’t allow the same amount of multitasking so I don’t think any comparison between them will be the same. This chip isn’t different and will perform roughly the same when compared to a passively cooled MacBook.

I’m curious how much the performance is really improved over the M3 to see if we’re hitting more limits of IPC improvements