Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Has anyone ever used macconnection.com and know how reputable they are? They're selling the new Airs for $50 off, charge no tax in California, and offer free shipping.

It seems like the best deal around at the moment, but I've never shopped there before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

I know that on the Macbook Air that Apple advertises a 30-day standby time in sleep mode and instant wake. Will this also happen if I put in my own SSD in a Macbook Pro?

The Airs also use a low-voltage processor which I think also affects battery life.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

So do all 13" MBAs use the Toshiba drive, and all 11" models use the Samsung? Or are both drives mixed into both models?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

drat, I was gonna wait until some owed money came in before I bought the Macbook Air, but the Amazon deal this weekend was just too amazing to pass up.

I bought one of those Kindle SO 20% off coupons on eBay this morning for $50. Everything went smoothly, and I just placed an order on the 13" Air for $988 w/no tax.

It's not estimated to ship until mid-September though :(

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

SmirkingJack posted:

So let me get this straight. If I walk into Best Buy tomorrow and purchase a Kindle With Special Offers for $115 I then get a coupon that day for 20% off of a laptop, such as the 13" MBP and which would save me $227, and I have to use that coupon before September 8th?

Yes. Or you can do what I did and buy a coupon off of eBay if you don't want a Kindle for around $50.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Good luck, but...

Also, you bought a code for $50?! Goons are giving them away for free on the forums. :holy:

Well then I...hope it goes smoothly for me, I guess?

Also that's really nice of goons to just give away the codes. If someone can get one for free, more power to them!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

SourKraut posted:

Oh hey, one question for you (and anyone else), since I didn't see it really get answered earlier: is the i7 upgrade in the 13" MacBook Pro worth it over the i5?

Edit: Nevermind, I was thinking of the Airs.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

vty posted:

I'm dumb, I meant 16:9.

Whatever the wide one is.

Out of curiosity, why do you prefer a 16:9 screen? Everyone I know would rather have a 16:10 display/monitor for their comp.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Can someone tell me when my limited warranty on the MBA I just bought started? I ordered it from Amazon on August 7th, was charged for the purchase September 8th, and had it delivered on September 12th.

I put in the serial number on Apple's site under Services, but the system instead wants me to register my product and put in the 'date of purchase' so they can determine when my coverage starts. What should I put in?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Sorry if this question's been asked before, but around how long after new Macbooks are announced are they usually available for order on Amazon?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

pyrotek posted:

How does this work, exactly? The exact wording on Apple's web site is:

The 6K60 display out would be over the Thunderbolt ports and 4K60 would be the HDMI 2.0, so does that mean that using the second thunderbolt display out on the Pro disables the HDMI, or does it mean the Pro actually does 3 monitors (2 thunderbolt + 1 HDMI)?

Pretty sure it's just 2 and 4. If you have 2 Thunderbolt displays connected my guess is the HDMI just won't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

doingitwrong posted:

I am torn between the Pro and Max. For normal work uses I’m sure the Pro would be plenty. I don’t really stress the machine beyond running multiple monitors, Zoom, dozens of tabs, many running Google Docs, and occasional light Photoshop/InDesign. So the only reason to get the upgraded machine would be gaming.

I know the correct answer is “don’t buy a Mac for gaming, idiot,” but I’m getting the Mac regardless and it doesn’t seem like I’d be able to pick up a decent Windows rig for the $800 difference.

This seems like terrible logic. Macs are godawful for gaming and instead you could hold onto the $800 and wait until you save another $400 and then buy a totally decent $1200 Windows rig that's 10x better at gaming.