Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Space Racist posted:

Wonder if this is tied into that 'any new Mini or Air purchased can restore Lion over the internet' feature.

Has anyone tried Lion on a 2 GB Air yet? I'd highly consider one as it'd be a secondary computer for me, mostly for typing notes and documents on, but if it's a dog even at basic usage that'd be a bummer.

I'm running the base 11" air and lion runs just about as well as it did with snow leopard. I'd spend the extra $100 on the 4gb ram anyway if I was you...you're already plopping down a grand, might as well upgrade while you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Is it me or is the MacBook Air now more powerful and has more ports than the MacBook? Isn't that backwards??

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

I said come in! posted:

Once Tim Cook shuts up, then the online store goes back up with the new Macs.

I don't know about the Intel processor. The GPU is a step up from what some of the Macbook Pros use though.

Intel Core M 1.1 (or) 1.2

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
The hardest thing for me to wrap my head around is how the MacBook Air has an i5 in it with two USB ports and the new MacBook has an M in it with one USB-C port. I'm not trying to argue that it's a bad decision because it is actually a pretty neat machine (no fans, super thin) but it really doesn't fit in their ecosystem as it's set up right now.

It makes me wonder why they didn't completely scrap the MacBook Air and MacBook lines and replace them with new 11"/12"/13" MacBook models. If you wanted more power you would have to upgrade to a MacBook Pro. It wouldn't be the first time that Apple has completely redesigned their computer lineup and it makes a lot more sense than making Air the more powerful machine. You could have even scrapped the $899 pricepoint for the 11" MBA and replaced it with a $999 11" MacBook with comparable specs.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Bought a New MacBook Pro yesterday. Figured I'd write a little bit about the force touchpad and the options that it currently has in the system settings.

1. When the machine is powered down the touchpad is completely static with no clickability at all. I believe the mechanism is that the taptic electromagnet pushes the touchpad up when powered on and the actual force you use when you click something is you pressing against electromagnetism.
2. The touchpad has two "clicks", the first click (user adjustable) is what you use to select stuff, the second click (force touch) has much more forceful feedback and is significantly different and more powerful than the first click.
3. The adjustable first click has three settings, light/medium/hard. I prefer hard because I like feedback but it was interesting to adjust the feel of the click. At the light setting it didn't even feel like I was pressing it the feedback was so minimal.

I really like that I can click anywhere on the touchpad and get the same feedback from the machine, doing a comparison in the store between the two types of touchpad was noticeable but I wouldn't consider it a deal-breaker.

My only concern is that the old version of the touchpad had very little in the way of breakable parts, the thing hinged on a springboard. The force touchpad needs the electromagnet to function at all and who knows how reliable it will be after years of use.

Other than the touchpad it is the exact same machine as my brother's MacBook Pro from a form factor perspective, of course it has a more powerful processor in it but you're not going to notice that on a day-to-day basis. I look forward to using it for 4-5 years like I did with my 2nd gen Air.

Rabble fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 12, 2015

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Whirlwind Jones posted:

The touchpad doesn't move at all. It's just a solid piece of glass. The whole "click" sensation is just your brain pulling tricks on you.

Holy crap that is some master magician level trickery. It really feels like you're pressing down on something.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Secht posted:

How do you like the weight and size of the machine coming from the that second gen Air? Considering a similar move. Thanks

I personally haven't noticed the extra weight yet but I spent most of my time with it so far either on a table or laying in bed. Not sure how comfortable it would be to "walk and work" carry it in one hand and type with the other like I could do with the 11" Air. It's thicker and bigger but not by much. When I was carrying it around under my arm I didn't really mind the extra size or weight. It's going to be personal preference whether or not you value ultrathin over horsepower and a retina display. The 13" pro is only about a pound heavier than the 11" air so its not like you would be going from something thin and light to an eleven pound 17incher.

I'd say it's still very portable and the build quality is what you would expect from this generation of Apple products.

As long as you are aware of what you're buying and how you are planning on using it then I see no reason to get an Air at all. The new MacBook is now the ultralight option and the Pro isn't such a pig that you couldn't throw it in a backpack on your way out the door.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Ok, but it doesn't depress. Since the 'click' feeling is entirely the result of the motor, it makes sense that they could turn the feeling of a second click being available on/off.

I went home and tried this on my MBP, the trackpad absolutely moves just not very much. I looked very carefully at the edge of the trackpad and saw the thing depress. The "click" sensation is all electromagnetic but the touchpad has some give.

(Image from iFixit)

If you look at the back of the touchpad you will see that each corner is attached to tabs designed to give a little bit. Each tab is hooked up to a strain gauge and that's how it works. So no, the touchpad doesn't move like a traditional clickpad but it also isn't attached directly to the chasis with no give at all.

Rabble fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

opus111 posted:

the new macbook has hosed me over. I was waiting for a retina air but now this has come out and i dont know if i should get an air or the mac book. i need ports but non-retina... argh.

No reason to buy an air when the 13" rMBP is as light as it is. I made this comparison a few pages ago but in terms of portability everything I did with my 11" MBA I do with my 13" rMBP.

edit: Oh if the MBP is too heavy for you then you cant be helped.