Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure Katia will make it out alive. After all, she's been discovered by a perfectly normal human combat medic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My money is on her getting blackout drunk and waking up in NAH's place - having engaged in nothing more sexual than indulging in Nah's neck jam fetish.

Progress!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

woodenchicken posted:

^^^Wait, what's with everyone's avatars?

Which set? The MLP avatars, MSPA avatars, the Gunnerkreig avatars, the Robosexual avatars, or the TVIV avatars?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You know them. They are two wild and crazy guys!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The harpoon gif only runs one time on the page but it loops when the image is opened in a new page.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I liked the scrolling forwards animation but I can't get the scroll backwards trick to work.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I was getting caught up on my podcast backlog and heard this:

MARTINI SHOT- Arm Tap

"I can use whatever trick I know to delude myself that I can manage the audience but...I can't. I can only bore them, or keep them interested"

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
On Google chrome everything just sort of stops once she gets impaled.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

quote:

EDIT3 edit combo!:
Could I have some more information on your version/plugins if possible?

Google Chrome:
Version: 21.0.1180.89 m

Extensions:
AdBlock
Add to Amazon Wish List
Avast! Webrep
Better Pop UP Blocker
Black Menu
Chrome Pass
Doc PDF/Powerpoint Viewer
Downlaod Master
Evernote Web Clipper
Facebook for Chrome
Flash Control (Prequel is whitelisted)
Fullscreen Homestar Runner
FVD Video downloader
Google dictionary
Google translate
Keep URL Alive
Looper for Youtube
RSS Subscription Extension
Session Manager
SA Last Read
Stop Autoplay for Youtube
SuperSorter
TinEye Reverse Image Search
Wot_stat.user.js

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

Ok, so how misogynist is it for a male to write for a self-loathing self-destructive female character?

It seems like there is a lot of sympathy in the writing, but is it being let down by a lack of explicit sociological critique?

That's a valid point. That said, he's reaching the untapped audience of people who are trapped by emotions and circumstance. People who are in that position might have trouble intellectually analyzing someone they identify with so strongly.

Katia struggles with constant sense of self-loathing and self-doubt. She recognizes that a lot of her thoughts are wrong but still takes the validity of the negative thinking. She was able to escape from a lifetime of being in an overbearing family and destructive coping mechanisms in order to form a new identity from scratch. That's something a lot of us have trouble with.

Somehow the little victories and a vague sense of "things can be different" keep her going. That's a very meaningful and very powerful message.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Even if we take the furry thing as a given they aren't as big a target as they used to be. The biggest targets now are Reddit pedophiles.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to call Stephen's sudden, unexpected death just to be contrary.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Don't forget the crippling self-esteem issues!

To be honest that's what I identify with the most. Are there any other comics out there that deal with a person struggling with, and then overcoming, a crippling level of self-hatred?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What's the "platonic" quote in reference to?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've asked for recommendations for other web comics dealing with someone struggling with intense self-hatred. The only suggestion I ever got was Dave Willis's stuff.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've been putting off the archive binge on Ava's Demon and stopped following Unsounded about the time creepy rapist murder monster was introduced. What wound up happening?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My best guess is he decided to do it with ground chicken bound with chicken fat.

Step one, buy a lot of boneless chicken pieces and put them in a meat grinder along with some sort of fat...

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Its a lot more convenient to use canned deboned chicken breast for salads and sandwhiches than to chop up a chicken breast, boil it, and then strain it. Are you also opposed to canned tuna fish?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There's also canned chopped deboned chicken breast, just imagine how it is with tuna only it looks white.

I have cans of both, about 5 ounces each. The ingredients on a chicken can are chicken breast, water, less than 2% food starch, salt, sodium phosphate. The tuna is tuna, water, veggie broth, soy, and salt. Pretty comperable.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There is probably a market for a webcomic or a book about cooking mishaps, like "Here was my idea for a recipe, here is what I came up with, here is how the execution went, here is what went horribly wrong". Not like a full 200 page book. Something small you could sell at giftshops.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Zoe posted:

It's basically just tuna with less flavor.

...why am I sitting here defending the honor of canned chicken, what has gone wrong in my life to reach this point? :negative:

This is what we are defending. Chicken breast that's chopped, boiled, and preserved with a small amount of salt. It has no slime, you drain it from the water it sits in and you're good to go. It's generally used as an alternative to chicken breast you'd cooked yourself. If you don't have time to dice and boil a chicken breast you can use a can for chicken salad, chicken noodle soup, shredded chicken tacos, chicken alfredo, etc.

This is not what we are defending. I am 90% sure some other country made and sold whole chicken in a can before the US started making it too.

Now I could really go for some chicken soup or chicken alfredo...

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Audio, lets go with a different approach. I've got crippling self hatred issues and like to read a comic about someone else with crippling self hatred issues getting ahead and progressing in spite of setbacks.

The only web-comics I can think of that feature that are Dumbing of Age, Something Positive, Octopus Pie, Girls with Slingshots, and Ava's Demons. The first four comics have characters like that but they're ensemble pieces. You might not see that issue being dealt with for months on end. Ava's Demons is spiritually closest to how intense the self-hatred is but I'd really rather have the character struggle with their own internalized stuff as opposed to a literal ghost causing the problem.

Can you make such a comic? It doesn't have to star anyone in particular so long as it stars someone struggling with and overcoming at least a decade of self-hatred.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
For me the crippling depression is a main draw because every victory is that harder earned. Attempts to find a comparable webcomic have met with mixed success even though I know they have to be out there. I guess Megg, Mogg, and Owll counts too but that's more a comic take on the depressing life of stoners.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
She went from no confidence to some confidence and able to practice a little bit of magic unintentionally to more confidence and more magic, now she can perform simple acts of telepathy and believe she can, with help, take on some imps. The setbacks are painful, but they happen in real life too.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There is a for reals lego fundraiser?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My mom will probably be at Vista Del Mar hosptial this weekend. I'm sure I'd she'd appreciate one of the Coast Guard sets. They wouldn't let her have it until she was released of course: choking hazard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I saw that there was suddenly a few pages worth of this thread and hoped it updated. It hadn't, but good news! It's not the only source of webcomics where the protagonist has crippling self-hatred and self-doubt issues. There's also It Hurts, a goon comic. And if you identify with Pasq (or with Katia for that matter) then you are almost certainly mentally ill.

Edit: If you want to check out the comic you're going to need to start from the first chapter. The first 100 pages build the world in a way you need to read.

http://gobolatula.com/ithurts/?comic=chapter-1-pasqualo-falls-in-love

• Locked thread