Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
People tend to underestimate the value of the long tail when it comes to revenue and the like. For instance, most movie studios make the majority of their profit off DVD sales and not box office turn-outs. Box office is a big deal 'cause it's easy to report on and sounds really nice, and it's not to say it isn't important, but there's a lot of value in the longevity of a product.

Games don't work quite the same way as movies do, of course, but if the sales are steady month to month, then it still warrants a win. That's why Atlus always publishes in very small doses--it keeps costs down and demand high, and so they'll sell out quickly and only make as many as they need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Playing P4:Arena is making me nostalgic for Persona 4. It really cements how likable the cast and characters are for these games, that they shine so strong years after their original appearance. I'm actually genuinely happy to see Akihiko, Mitsuru and even Aigis again. The story mode for these games is kind of hit or miss, and naturally Naoto gets the most interesting scenarios of the bunch, but it's just...it's just a nice feeling. I was even watching some of the Endurance Run the other day, just to relive some of that lovely P-4 Goodness.

I really need to buy a Vita. Golden isn't out until October still, right?

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Looks sweet as hell.

I think I heard "oni samurai" at some point, so maybe they are Devil Knights or Devil Samurai? Would fit the usual naming motif.

I'm find with first person battles, though I do wish we were getting something more along the lines of Nocturne. Ah well.

No Kaneko art is a bummer.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Wow we're really snapping at whatever bit we get if we're getting worked up over some concept/promotional art.

For what it's worth, I rather like the monster designs. I assume the ones pictured are going to be significant demons, probably related to the plot, maybe boss monsters, who knows. The fact that they do look like artificial suits, a la Kamen Rider, makes me wonder if perhaps the Protoganist or other characters can bond with them or wear them or something to that extent.

It would be sweet if that's the substitute for Magatama--super powered demon suits that give you new resistances and weaknesses. Bonus points if they give them abilities outside of battle too.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Cromlech posted:

So I started playing my first mainline SMT game ever, and it's Strange Journey. Usually, I have JRPGs. But for some reason I love the fast paced progression of the battles and the strategy involved, and it seems that the challenge is just right so far. Does it get really really frustrating later? Is there much grinding? I'm on Mission 6 in Antilia, to give you an idea.

Are there any more SMT first person dungeon crawlers in this vein as well? It's the perfect game to pick up and play when you don't have poo poo to do.

Have you ever had soap in your eyes while you take a shower? You try to rinse it out as best you can but it stings and you can't see. You slip a bit on the wet shower floor, groping for the water faucet. You manage to find it and try to turn it off, accidentally shift the temperature from hot to cold, and have to hunch down while cold water blasts your shoulders mercilessly while you struggle to get the water off.

You succeed and, still blinded, you stumble out of the shower, reach for a towel, and miss. You tumble forward, bang your head on a towel rack. Now you are blind, your head hurts, and you are soaking wet and cold. But you finally find your towel, and you scrub and scrub at your face. You can see--badly, still, everything is blurry and foggy but you can see, and you are so happy that you forget about your headache, your wetness, the chill, and your burning eyes. Because you can see where you could not see before.

That is Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Rinkles posted:

A few of the new actress' lines sound stilted and her voice seems a bit inconsistent between the some of the video samples (I hadn't listened to all of them before), but I'm not hearing anything remotely SO4. I suspect having to presumably solo most of her lines may have affected her performance.

I assume they re-recorded everything, since they had to go through the trouble of getting new VA's.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Persona 4 Arena has really gotten me pumped up about what they could do for P5. I'd actually really like it if we saw some returning cast members from 3 and 4--Naoto is in an easy position to show up elsewhere, as is Aigis and Labrys. Of course, I'd like a new cast, or at least new main characters, but the fact that now both games' storylines habe been connected makes me yearn for the super awesome cross-over adventure that surpasses both!

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Arbitrary Coin posted:

I remember killing his dudes and forcing him to use all his MP on reviving them. Obviously take out the divine so that he can't refill and get some drain/repel phys up on your characters and demons.

You can also get the 8 range demons too.

Bolded the important part. Seriously, get somebody with Chaos Wave, two if you can, slap Yamato and his cronies before they even get close enough to breathe on you.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Hey, don't they let you use Teddie's human form in the dungeons? Does this stop that annoying squeaking bullshit?

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Nessa posted:

I never considered Kanji to be straight. It makes more sense to me for him to swing both ways.

After all, his feelings for Naoto don't seem to change when her true gender was revealed.

Yeah, this is I thought an old and buried discussion--Kanji's sexuality was always meant to be left ambiguous, and it's really up to you to decide what you feel he best is (unless they confirm it in later games).

Interesting that everybody dogpiles on Yosuke. He's 16 and acts like it--hating him for that seems a bit harsh, especially since his "homophobia" boils down to three or four cracks at Kanji's expense, and one situation where he's uncomfortable sharing a tent with him (which is also something I think a teenage boy would be hesitant about, especially a sheltered rich-kid like Yosuke.). I feel a little silly defending him, but it seems that there's a bit unfair levels of criticism leveled at him at times.

Also Cake Attack's prolly on the right of it, I always felt Yosuke had a bit too strong a broship with the main character. :P

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
The characters in Persona 2 are amazing though, so play it just for the story and you'll be satisfied.

On another note, FFFFFFFFFUCK the last boss of Persona 3. I'd forgotten just how much of a punch in the dick it can be when you lose near the tail-end of the fight. It's an hour loving long and the last form can just take Thunder Reigns like they were nothing. Ugh.

Do I spend tonight grinding...or go back and try and beat Persona 1?

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Arbitrary Coin posted:

What this guy said. Maya, Katsuya and Yukino :syoon: are some of my favorite characters in the Megaten series.

Baofu. :colbert:

Or if we are sticking just with IS, then Eikichi is pretty dope. Plus the afore-mentioned Yukino.

But I love all the different rumor-mongers too. It'll be fun to play P2 once I beat Persona 1, so I can get more of the callbacks.

Edit: gently caress almost forgot, you get to hang out with a Kuzanoah in the P2 games! That alone should encourage people to play 'em.

RentCavalier fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 22, 2012

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

vanov posted:

What level are you? I found that just dicking with levels until you can fuse something that resists Charm was enough. For reference I put the game down for a full year (like, went and beat P4 and came back) because of that fight.

Funny enough, it wasn't Charm that got me, I just made a mistake and didn't throw up my defense-boost in time. I'm playing on Hard mode, so everything hurts extra fresh.

Currently I'm level 75. My party is Aigis (73), Ken (74) and Koromaru (74). I'm doing some grinding to try and fuse the highest Persona I can before I start using up all these spell cards I've been hoarding. I got him to the very last legs, but he spammed Night Gown or whatever and slaughtered me.

I really need some Almighty attacks, so I can hurt him more effectively. Thunder Reign does less than 300 damage to him even when Mind Charged AND with a Tarukaja on top.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Well, grinding up to level 83 and getting Satan with Black Viper did the trick. He never even used Nightwish Bidet or whatever his special killer attack was, so whatevs.

This was the closest I've come to getting a max S-link run, managing everybody except Yukari (Level 9! :argh:) the Sun guy and the Fortune S-link.

In fact, can anyone tell me how you are supposed to max Fortune in P3P the girl's path? It leveled up twice automatically and then never again.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Strange Quark posted:

You need to hang out with him at every opportunity. The link just ends if you miss one.

What a gyp. Ah well.

Man, I'd forgotten how loving apocalyptic P3's ending is. I'd forgotten that Nyx is supposed to be the moon. Which...wait a second, does that mean that Nyx has always been the moon? Or just the Dark Hour moon? Ahhhhh!

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Ingram posted:

My god P3P is making GBS threads me. I am literally stuck in the game because I keep dying all the drat time! I'm only lvl 14 and haven't passed floor 25. The main story is also kicking my rear end.

I feel so tempted not to bother with this game and move onto p4g.

Keep at it! The early game is tough since you have a limited party, but the main storyline bosses are really easy up front, so if you are having trouble in Tartarus, wait for the exp boosts from those first.

What's your party like? Are you fusing Personas regularly? Are you keeping in mind what skills you need to complement your party members? Don't double up on weaknesses and don't be afraid to fuse often and regularly. P4's early game is a touch harder than P3's, so you may want to get a grasp for the systems in place before moving on. Also P3P is a really good game and I' dlike people to beat it.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

fount of knowledge posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna be another one going against the goon consensus and say that despite P3P having a better battle system and FemC story, the actual visual novel style bored me to tears, to the point where I couldn't finish a run. Even though it sounds minor, you can't underestimate how much having a little mans you control run around the game world draws you into it.

I'll play counterpoint to this, I actualy think the Visual Novel style fit the game's writing really well. Considering the game's graphics and sprites were never exactly the best to begin with, losing out on them didn't really seem too big a loss. Additionally, the "SMT Narrator" style (You see X. Eat it? You feel X. Y?) and so on kind of fits the visual novel format, and not having to run through the hallways in school made navigation faster and more fluid.

Yeah, it's kind of choppy at times and I'm not sure if it's BETTER than the original way, but I kind of dug how they did it.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

DarkHamsterlord posted:

No don't say that, you're going to start a debate about whether P3 or P4 is better, it always happens.

I think they are both super rad and also cool to the max, so why debate at all?

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Wait people grinded in P2? I just went through the whole game with the starter Personas and getting crazy stat boosts from finishing with a combo attack every single time. This was mainly in P2:IS though .

There's a poo poo GameFaqs guide that would have you grind, like, ten hours between every dungeon just to level up/unlock the fusion skills. It's certainly an option, just the Worst Option.

Also, a Persona game in an office would be pretty drat rad. Especially if you get characters of varying ages, like you have the fat IT guy, some poor beleagured mother, your lovely boss...

I mean, if anything, you'd have even MORE use for skills like courage or charm or understanding in such an environment. They could even emphasize isolation in the mazes that you have to explore. It's literally Perfect.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Superstring posted:

I'd kinda like them to maybe move away from the randomly generated generic dungeons. They're not... I mean they're servicable, but they could be a lot more interesting.

I just want an Amala Network version 2.0. I mean, Strange Journey is close, but a bit too, oh, sadistic.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Technique posted:

I would prefer it if they kept the same artist, but maybe sent him to some art classes on female anatomy!

What are you talking about, everyone knows that girls are born with anti-gravity devices in their bosoms. Psh, read a book sometime.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

klapman posted:

Woah, that could be amazing. Like, the first dungeon you go into is when you're stumbling out of your cubicle late at night after some serious overtime, but you can't find your way out. It's literally just a maze of cubicles that never seems to end, you can't find anyone else, and then boom a big ball with a tongue comes out of the wall, oh poo poo!

Your lovely boss would be the Emperor S-Link, and the entire arc would be around nudging him to become a better boss in different, subtle ways. The old-timer who's been there so goddamn long and never actually gotten anywhere could be the Tower, and you have to try and get him to realize that without him, everything would go to poo poo in the office.

Hell, just do a ton of things like that and don't even have a save the world plot, just have everything be a lot of metaphors as you try to live a decent life. :unsmith:

If it was my call, I'd probably try to integrate something akin to Silent Hill the Room's system--like, the game would never really leave the office, limiting itself to just the nearby pub, a few lunch places, and maybe a park for breaks. Rather than focus on a whole year, I'd want longer, more detailed days--like there's a set schedule that you can follow or not, with varying results depending on what you do. Getting fired is an automatic game over, so you have to do a minimum amount of work to maintain your job, but...

You also have to investigate weird things happening in your building. Like, dungeons would be hidden in storage closets or be accessed by strange doors that appear. As the game goes on, the office building grows more and more weird and twisted--rooms appear, strange smells and visions are everywhere, and your various co-workers all come up with more and more excuses to ignore what's happening around them.

It would be possible for people and S-links to be killed, much like Catherine. It'd be your responsibility to try and keep everyone alive, keep your job, defeat the bad guys AND maintain healthy, stable relationships. I'd probably incorporate hunger and thirst aspects, have it possible to stay late after work, but have to suffer from it the next morning, and focus on the small, subtle changes in the office over the passage of a month or three.

Throw in half a dozen mini-games and an S-link with a pigeon who wears a scarf hanging out on the roof and you have an instant smash hit.

RentCavalier fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 28, 2012

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

klapman posted:

That does sound fun, really. It also seems like it would be really stressful and terrifying to an extent, especially if poo poo got incredibly crazy and everyone was still ignoring it completely, even when people kept dying around them. I'd play it, but drat man I play Persona for when I want to feel all jolly and poo poo :ohdear:

Clearly you have only played the latest Persona games. gently caress, Persona 2 has one of the biggest downer endings ever, and by the end of Innocent Sin, poo poo is literally so crazy that it defies description. The literal premise of the game is that any rumor that gets popular enough becomes true--you can say ANYTHING and risk it becoming a memetic nightmare, and they push this premise all the way to its logical, apocalyptic conclusion.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Momomo posted:

Devil Survivor 1 and 2 felt like better Persona games than 3 and 4. I've only played the latter half of Persona, but the formula it used was done much better in Devil Survivor.

This is an interesting point. I agree, to a point--mechanically, yeah, the Devil Survivor system is a lot easier to navigate and play S-link system. But, at the same time, the way the Persona system works fits better with the slower pace of the game--you get a lot more absorbed in the scenes in Persona 3 and 4, and not just because you actually have animated people doing the scenes (though that does help.) It just encourages you to soak in the atmosphere more.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

TurnipFritter posted:

There is an expectation that you'll chat with NPCs and your party members around town/in dungeons to help fill in the exposition gaps. Welcome to the nineties.

This is honestly the best part of the game though. Like, there's TONS of loving exposition, foreshadowing, or just interesting conversations going on in just about every location in theses games--you'll go visit every Sushi shop just to see if Maya starts a discussion on Jungian theory or you'll have whole little scenes play out that you'd never see before.

One character's entire backstory is revealed only in these little bits of side dialog, and if you pay close attention, it gives a certain event much later in the game a lot greater meaning.

loving drat it all. Persona 2 is rad. It really is, it's goofy and weird and terrifying and surreal, and for some reason, the clunky, half-responsive, completely opaque mechanics only served to help it. It's kind of like you are groping around in the dark with a lighter--yeah, it provides light, but it flickers a lot and you're sort of worried it might run out of fuel.

But it doesn't. It just adds more insanity.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Lessail posted:

Everyone keeps praising P2 but I just don't get it. I stopped playing IS after starting the choose your temple part since nothing was really hooking me in. I didn't stumble on the character scenes so I only thought they were ok. I felt really detached from everything and not in some atmospheric way. The combat was boring and not engaging at all and I have no idea why. Is there anything in the final parts of IS that'll get it to warm up to me?

The ending sequence of IS is in and of itself pretty loving nuts, but if you aren't hooked in by then, you'll not appreciate any of it.

You have to understand, Persona 2 is, despite all of its apocalyptic trappings, a collection of very personal stories. It's all kind of an overblown excuse for a bunch of teenagers and young adults to own up to their insecurities. So, the climax of the story won't really matter to you if you haven't been getting involved in the characters' worlds and environments.

On top of that, the individual bits of the game have a lot of pretty smart writing. Most of them just have characters posing philisophical questions, and other characters responding in time. Persona 2, more than any of the other games, really feels like the Megaten team just finished taking a shitload of psyche classes and wanted to show their work in the best possible way. It's like a Japanese Michael Crichton novel involving the metaphysical, spiritual and cultural. gently caress, Innocent Sin opens with a semi-obscure German poem that actually intimately relates to the basic themes of the story.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
SMT4 looks apocalyptic/cyberpunk/grimdark as gently caress. I'm all on board.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Dogbutt posted:

I feel like this image is really going back to the good ol, "Tokyo is hosed up and demons are everywhere and everyone is dead" feel. Also is the protag wearing a goddamn Demonica?

Actually, it looks more like a biker helmet/jacket with some home made armor attached to the shoulders. It's not as sleek or mechanical as the Demonica--it definitely looks like a post-apocalyptic raider outfit, a la Fallout.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

TurnipFritter posted:

There's a group of hackers living in this city that's basically run by a tech company. The company is launching this thing called Paradigm-X (it's basically Second Life), and have basically set up the infrastructure of the city to help facilitate it (ex: computer terminals around like phone booths*, everyone has a free computer from them, etc). Surprise: There's some shady poo poo going on in the background, and one thing leads to another until the main character starts getting sent on vision quests by a spirit animal named Redman (...) and his girlfriend gets possessed by a saucy demon broad named Nemissa. Demons are fought, secrets are uncovered, etc, etc.

*This was 1997, ok.

This is the greatest plot summary I have ever read. When is this game coming out in NA again?

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

legoman727 posted:

Popping in to ask for some help.

Devil Survivor 2 - How in the HELL do you take out Polaris? I'm on Daichi's route, normal ending, and just getting wrecked. I made sure to come back with Null, Repel, and Drain Phys on Jungo, Hinako, and MC so the Spear doesn't take out all my MCs, but it's not nearly enough. Polaris gets actions way too quickly so I can't just bumrush him, and he seems to always proc the Forget with his double Cephalids.

I'm trying to grind out some better demons (MC at 63) but the free battles give poo poo for experience, and I breeze through Phase 1 of him anyways. Am I just approaching the fight wrong?

Alright, I'm going to break it down like this:

The end game is all about range. You want two, maybe three of your teams to have as wide a range as possible. Evil Flow, Chaos Wave--whatever your cup of tea, just get that poo poo on there. Use the fusion search to get the Tyrants you need. You're in the end game now, you can handle this poo poo. Once you have range, you can make short work of the majority of trash mobs before they even hit you. Use specialized characters, outfit them accordingly, and go all out.

Have at least one team possess a sprinkling of all sorts of skills and abilities--a flexible team that can either dive in to assist another in combat, or heal them--or preferably do both. In later missions, your support team's entire role should be devoted to reviving dead teams and healing as much as humanly possible. Big bosses have those bullshit attacks that hit you from anywhere, so by the last battles, try to have a demon in reserve that can double up your movement abilities. The last boss is pretty easy to handle if you play it exactly like the last boss of Devil Survivor 1 and bum rush the gently caress out of him. Just let your support/assault team slowly trail up the rear, because there are respawning enemies that you want distracted from your main attackers.

The last boss has clear vulnerabilities, I forget what they are though. I think going after him with physical attacks is smart--I believe I used Keita and the Main Character (magic-focused) to defeat him, while my other two characters either played support or distracted his mooks.

Good luck surviving!

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Zoness posted:

Yeah that fight's crazy - I don't remember Babel being that hard, or any of the Bels being difficult at all compared to the Stars. Although I think Belzaboul and Jezebel had mechanics that could gently caress you up if you didn't keep them in check.

Was there complaining that Devil Survivor was too easy?

DS1 has a lot of bullshit gimmicks attached to its bosses. DS2 does as well, but the gimmicks are more just obstacles for you to overcome that may or may not rely on sheer force of arms.

DS1 is completely broken with Pierce and Deathbound though, so the last bosses seem pretty easy when your physical attackers can tear them apart like tissues.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Alteisen posted:

I turned off the voices rather quickly in DSO, they where god awful which surprised me Atlus is usually pretty solid with that.

Outside of one or two characters, I honestly didn't find the voice acting that bad. Considering how absurdly dense the script was and how much of it was actually voice acted, it's impressive there weren't more bad takes.

Edit:

VVVVV--Look at this crazy man, laugh at him children. Laugh at him.

RentCavalier fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 25, 2012

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Persona 4 is really good, but I mostly say that for the gameplay and content, the story leaves much to be desired and so do some of the main characters. I love the DDS games a lot more though even if they have awful dungeons, the gameplay is great, story is unique, music is fantastic and I love all of the characters and the assload of Vedic mythology they based the game on.

Also it's like the only tie Steve Blum voiced in an Atlus developed game.

I also like The Raidou series a lot, even if the first game is technically bad, the second game is seriously a great game and deserves more note than it gets. I love detectiving around late 1800s Japan with my cat and catching demons in tubes.

You're almost always criticizing P4's storyline and I really don't quite understand why. Outside of half the goons on this site thinking Yosuke is some kind of horrible hate-crime waiting to happen, which is an absolutely absurd criticism, I really understand what major issues you have with P4's story.

Especially since you're comparing it to DDS. Look, I love Digital Devil Saga to bits and pieces but if you're going to tell me with a straight face that the ending to that game wasn't a completely load of :catdrugs: and half-baked nonsense, I'm afraid we're going to have to have a conversation about writing coherant narratives.

I'll agree, though, that the characters were amazing. DDS2 broke my heart ten different times throughout. I just wish the last chapter wasn't such a grindy mess.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
The thing is, DDS actually has a perfectly coherent plot up until the ending. The entire first half established mysteries and sets up a universe. It establishes the rules and asks a lot of questions that aren't answered right away.

The second half answers those questions, and it does it competantly. The game is consistent in its rules and laws and the like...it's just that the ending doesn't say anything substantial, nor really contribute to the plot at all. Honestly you could have ended the game at the point where the earth gets deleted and the story would be much stronger for it.

RentCavalier fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 26, 2012

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
I'm finding it a bit strange to hear people focusing so much on Persona's "mystery story" angle. To be honest, I don't really feel that's the kind of story they were telling at all.

Both Persona 3 and Persona 4 have always seemed to me like "Writer's Games"--that is, games kind of meant to showcase a lot of writing and stories that the team had devised. Persona 3's narrative is a meditation on death and what it means to live actively staring your mortality in the face. All of the social links reflect this in some way, if not by actively invoking death or someone's mortality, instead focusing on the "end" of something--the end of Maiko's parents' marriage, the end of the star athlete's sports career, and the end of Akinari's very life. Each social link takes this theme, applies it to a different character, and tells a short story about that particular character. The main game's plot is largely just there to justify the existence of gameplay vehicles like a big dungeon and monsters to fight. And of course, Personae and the like all tie into the psychological theme at the heart of the franchise, so there's tons of situations where people must overcome their own neuroses or come to terms with uncomfortable truths about themselves. That second one is basically series tradition, since every Persona game invokes "facing yourself" in some measure, and a lot of drama comes from playable characters having to own up to their own flaws or inner demons.

Persona 4's central theme is "reach out to the truth" or whatever. I hate that phrasing, but that's neither here nor there. Anyway, Persona 4 does the exact same thing that 3 does--all of the Social links, or the broad majority, involve a character coming to terms with a personal flaw, or overcoming their own anxieties or social stigmas or whatever. A lot of them are just characters becoming comfortable with who they are. Since your party members are all social links, this time the links and the main game are much more closely linked. You have plot threads picked up in the main storyline that are only concluded in social links (like basically all of Dojima's character development). The story is a "mystery story" because what other type of storyline best captures the idea of "reaching out to the truth"? The detective story is really just a backdrop or a trappings to justify the existence of monsters and dungeons--though again, unlike 3, all of these elements are much more closely related.

So, while it's fair to criticize weaknesses in the "mystery story" aspects of Persona 4, I think it's a mistake to assert that the game's plot itself is a "mystery story". I think both 3 and 4 are more like collections of stories loosely bound by an overarching plot--the "mystery" aspect is as vital to the impact of Persona 4's plot as the "after school monster slaying club" aspect was vital to the impact of Persona 3's.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Zombies' Downfall posted:

It's also worth noting that the mythologies for both (which are tied to strikingly similar mythical stories) are related to this too.

Orpheus's pursuit of Eurydice is a kind of suicidal quest, and when he returns without her he gets torn apart by maenads because he's lost his faith in the gods (Dionysus anyway) and won't revel with them; it's a story about a man who wants to die if he can't be with the woman he loves. In some versions of his story he even commits suicide deliberately. This is an impulse Nyx attributes to all of humanity, the belief that if life is painful and full of defeat and loss mankind would rather die.

The story of Izanagi and Izanami, on the other hand, is really about Izanami's inability to come to terms with her state and her death. When he sees her face Izanagi realizes his wife is dead and mustn't return, but instead of facing her fate with dignity and remaining in the underworld forever her rage compels her to do harm to the living. Izanagi "reaches out for the truth" and makes the right decision, and Izanami's inability to accept her shadow self makes her lash out at innocents.

Despite the similarities, the impulses of Orpheus and Izanagi are very different; Orpheus never recovers from the loss of Eurydice, while Izanami is the one who can't move on in that story.

It just goes to show that there's very many layers of interesting development and stuff to be found in these game's storylines--it is why they are so impressive.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

DeathBySpoon posted:

Does Catherine discussion fit into this thread too? I got it during the PSN sale and I love it so far. I'm on the 4th night and I've been playing completely blind, so I have no idea what to expect. I just have a few questions- are there more than two endings (I'm assuming there are at least two), and is it more complex to get them than good / bad based on your morality meter thing?

Yahtzee mentioned this in his review and I must stress it as well--if you are going for any ending, make sure you stay consistent and stick to your guns. The game has 8 endings but three of them are really lame endings that are a result of you being wishy-washy with your answers. Be a true Lover or a Cheater--but don't try to be both!

As for the Persona poo poo, Namatame...What the gently caress are you talking about "his motivations aren't explained"? It's very clear why he did what he did, the game explains it. The Announcer dies the day after he sees her on the TV. Saki shows up, dies as well. Namatame puts two and two together and, like the MC, also discovered he can enter TVs. He's a bit shook up, no one believes him, and Adachi manipulates him via suggestion into doing the kidnappings. It's not rocket science people!

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Azure_Horizon posted:

I didn't miss the point at all; the point was just not as compelling about halfway through either game. Trust me, I know P3 and 4 in and out as far as what they're trying to say. I am saying, however, that the execution just didn't work as well as intended.

Yet Final Fantasy 13 is fine and we're all just lazy gamers for not bothering to read the encyclopedias or memorize all the technobabble and also the whole cosmology totally makes sense and isn't that hard to understand guys, really.

Tell us more about well-executed storylines in video games. :allears:

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

El Belmondo posted:

Miya-hoto Musas-hee :haw:

You. You I like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

TurnipFritter posted:

Another new SMT4 character. I'm sure she's very friendly and probably not Lilith in disguise.

She looks cheery. I love her outfit though--her colors and the design remind me somebody, one of the Femme demons. I wonder who she is.

Hell, I'm just pumped as hell seeing these SMT4 designs. I'm glad to see that this game actually still LOOKS like an SMT game. With Persona and Devil Survivor being so popular, I'd hate it if they took away SMT's distinctive look for a more commercially viable one.