Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Are they re-recording the VA track for The Golden like with P3 Portable? I just watched the first episode of the anime and Erin Fitzgerald as Chie is just too adorable to lose :3:

quick edit: didn't read the thread before. Looks like she's back! :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Is there a non-:filez: way to play the PS2 entries other than Persona 3 and 4? Just finishing up P4G and looking to :getin: on some sweet Atlus JRPG goodness...but I don't have a PS2 or a 3DS =/

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Speaking as a heathen who doesn't speak Japanese, I would submit that very few companies do English dubs better than Atlus USA, and the only localization team at their level is probably 8-4.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I would not put Atlus USA on a high pedestal for English dubs. Yeah, they do a good job with the actual localization, but the quality of the games voice acting varies. The quality of P3's voice acting fluctuates in quality a lot and more often than not is bad, meanwhile P4 has fantastic voice acting.

Does any other Japanese company consistently have better English VAs, though? Actual question, nothing comes to mind. I would say that, barring any significant counterpoint which I haven't thought of, my point still stands if only because P4 and Catherine had such good dubs.

Then again I've not played any other SMT games besides the first and Persona 3 and 4, and I only beat the latter. I should really play Nocturne before I get excited about this barely related game :v:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
So what exactly was added in the PSP port of Eternal Punishment that we missed out on in the West? Just Tatsuya's story, right? I'm almost done with Innocent Sin (about to hit up the temples but OH GOD I CANNOT STOP GRINDING) and I'm curious about the immediate future.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
P3 kinda drags already, I've actually never finished it, so going through the whole high school experience might be a bit much. Action RPG battles might be cool though, or at least action commands so there's a reason not to auto-battle on everything that isn't immune to your weapons in the late game other than "I like the cool crit animations".

Coincidentally, there are entire characters whose only real use in combat is that they have cool crit animations (sorry Kanji).

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
And people called Assassin's Creed 2 ground breaking.

Also, sorry about spoiling the final boss of a five year old game.

E:

laplace posted:

So I'm playing Innocent Sin!

Good for you, this game is fantastic. I'm supposed to be going off to fight the final boss but I'm grinding heavily, partly because I want to see the ultimate Personas, and partly because I don't want to let this game go.

Doesn't Eternal Punishment PSX have a surprisingly passable translation? I know that the characters from P1 have their original Americanized names, and that's the only major change I'm aware of. There's a new scenario in the PSP version where you see what Tatsuya's up to, but you should wait until you've finished everything else and then read a script translation.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 20, 2014

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's not that the battle system is boring. It's just that the game is oddly really easy and balanced heavily in favor of the player. You don't need to master all these obscure systems or get every Persona, the game's difficulty curve just kinda breaks down after about halfway in. I could easily take the last boss at level 62 or so, whatever he's got. Unless it's a she like P1.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Innocent Sin has aged pretty well, IMO. Persona 1 is extremely LP-worthy because the story outweighs any reeding qualities of the gameplay. Yes, even in the portable version.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

ChaosArgate posted:

Ugh my eyes are bleeding looking at Megami Tensei. I shouldn't bash on it too much because it was probably nicer at the time, but those same-y textures are kind of hard to look at.

What hasn't been translated at this point? Off the top of my head, Megami Tensei 2, Devil Summoner 1 (but who cares about that), Majin Tensei, and the Last Bible games?

Persona 2: Tatsuyaventures, man!

Bugs me that Atlus won't even say why they can't release EP PSP here, just "something something license contracts whatever." Maybe they can't say why they can't say? :tinfoil:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

ChaosArgate posted:

While I do agree that EP PSP not coming out of Japan is criminal, I was asking what hadn't been translated already.

I meant the PSP-exclusive scenario where Tatsuya is doing stuff while Maya's on her adventure doing whatever Maya does in EP. Don't tell me, I just finished IS today and all I know about EP that wasn't in the first 5 minutes or the manual is that there's something called the New World Order.

Also, to whoever told me that the PSX translation was very different in its characterization from what you might expect in a Persona title:

I see no problem here :colbert:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's consistently hilarious when they try?

E: tbh that's a little more racist than I like. But there's a definite disconnect between the way the two languages are pronounced and written that's usually pretty great to see/hear when both are mixed.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 1, 2014

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Wait DSOC is on the eShop? Since when?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
See, you can tell this is a real thing because if it wasn't, they'd have announced Nocturne instead. God I want to play that so bad.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I'm curious where Mikage and Sumaru are supposed to be located. I think Mikage is supposed to be a ward, not a whole town, and Sumaru must be nearby for all the people who go there after P1.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Devil Summoner Raidou is at the top of GameFAQs Top 10 List: Great games with terrible titles. Apparently Atlus had a comeback when announcing Raidou 2 for localization:

Atlus USA posted:

Ignore when people say that the length of a game's title is not important, that a title should just convey what the game is about.

They're just jealous theirs isn't as long.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I strongly encourage people to play Innocent Sin first, partly for the story and characters (Michel my belle :allears:) and partly because it's MUCH easier. I don't think I died once in 70-odd hours of IS, not even to the super-hard secret enemy or the bonus PSP dungeon, but the first boss in EP wiped the floor with me.

The one major EP change is in the way contacting works; as far as I can tell, each character has one solo contact option, but the order in which you select characters for a group contact now matters, Ulala>Maya having a different result than Maya>Ulala.

On another note: Didn't Ulala already have a Persona in IS? Did that ever get explained?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Man, I'm loving Devil Survivor OC.

I went into it knowing the main "twist" I guess but I'm surprised how dark the plot is. It's the first act of SMT1 extended to a week and taken to its logical conclusion: the gradual breakdown of society in a confined space with demons on the loose. Also, most games set in contemporary Japan, at least that I've played, shy away from showing the government/SDF in a negative light, focusing any social commentary on the perpetually underestimated police force. But all this conspiracy poo poo is real here and it's great! God I want Break Record, is it out in Japan?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I thought the consensus was that 2 was universally better, plot and gameplay? I mean don't get me wrong I love me some Persona, I just though 1 was a refreshing change of pace.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
A doctor's office, because we've been waiting so drat long.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Dehry posted:

Persona 2 ISP and EP were pulled from the US PSN store again.

What the hell for? Why you got a hate on for best Persona, Sony? :mad:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Beef Waifu posted:

This is all just a sign that Atlus is finally bringing EPP to the west.

I'd buy a Vita again for Persona 2: Sin and Punishment HD.

fake e: Cast your fantasy voice actors for EP Portable ITT

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Endorph posted:

Yeah, exactly. It's not hard to play 'one degree of Persona 3/4.' To continue with the Tales games, the Japanese versions rarely reuse voice actors, but the dubs have to reuse voice actors constantly. Jamieson Price went from voicing a minor villain, to the main antagonist, to a party member, across three successive games. There just isn't the depth of actors that there is in Japan.

Are you saying you don't want Lu Bu as the main antagonist/the awesome voice from Catherine in your party? :colbert:

Joking aside I find the opposite is true of Japanese dubs: there are plenty of talented actors in Japan, but typecasting is a bigger deal. Actors seem to get placed neatly into categories based on their vocal type--young protagonist, young woman, Toshiro Mifune, any woman over 25, etc.--and every actor in a given category sounds exactly the same to a non-speaker like myself.

Though it would be nice to get some new voices in the English dubs, Atlus's work with PCM seems like it was the big break for quite a few people (Erin Fitzgerald, and I think Michelle Ann Dunphy according to their S.Link FM interviews).

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 28, 2014

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Surpise! The only profit Index had in the last six years was fraudulent and former CEO Masami Ochiai has been arrested. Don't underestimate the Japanese police, especially when you're so bad at fraud that your company still goes under after cooking the books. Thank YHVH SEGA is at least mildly more competent than these jokers.

Some guy in the comment thread posted:

"Give me a whole lot of MACCA!"

>Cheat

Ochiai responds with an evasive answer...

...But the enemy sees through his lies!

"Hey, are you trying to cheat me? You don't know how big a mistake you just made! Authorities hate that! Get ready for pain!"

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Dehry posted:

Elizabeth Persona Q (watch till the end for a surprise)

I don't get the surprise. Nurse costume, or Liz's Persona who I don't recognize?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Roses are red
Velvet is blue
The master has a long nose
But now he's gone too :(

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Freak Futanari posted:

Somebody paid ten dollars, for these chicken nuggets. Ten dollars that could have been better spent on the best Persona game, Persona 1.

that's a funny way to spell "Innocent Sin"

Did EP ever go back up on the PSN?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's okay guys, there's a different Megami Tensei spin-off for everybody.

Can we get 150 posts emptyquoting this to make up for the last couple pages, tia

Also new thread title

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
loving Bufu power-ups :argh:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

ChaosArgate posted:

Demonheeho (I forget his name) is totally the best demon and never left my party after I saw that and fused him. :allears:

Plus he's actually got probably the best Almighty skill in the game.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I'm on like my fourth run, trying to grind enough to beat the secret bonus boss. I still couldn't tell you what the auction rating does.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
The bonus NG+ bosses that are new to OC are all moving Fiends, iirc,

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
IIRC, the only person who it's not possible to save/impress (sorta) is Honda, who always lives, but also will go full-on crazy and hate you forever unless you help him break the lockdown on day 6.

I really like the endings in DeSu 1. You've got the standard Law/Chaos endings but three separate choices for Neutral, one of which is transparently terrible and has appropriate consequences.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Soul Hackers suffers from having a lot of old school SMT elements in a shiny new package. Play for the story and the amazingly 1990s vision of the future.

It's not obvious at all but what you tell the Spookies very early on about Hitomi's personality will affect what spells she gets later. "Sexy defines her" means she'll learn the Zio line and Megidola, and she'll pick up Mediarama two levels early, so it's my preferred pick. The other two options give her different spell trees: Agi and Hama for "upbeat" and Bufu/Mudo for "calm".

I'm pretty sure this is the right entry on the Before I Play wiki: http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Shin_Megami_Tensei:_Devil_Summoner_2

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
So tell me about Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha. What should I know going in? How should I allocate stat points?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
For I minute I thought you meant Platinum*Games; now I want Shin Megami Tensei: Rising Persona 4: Bearveangence

E: Or a new Raidou Devil Summoner, that'd be pretty cool

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
But then, Marie.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Man, just when I thought there were no more reasons to get depressed and miss Yakuza :(

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

big duck equals goose posted:

So, just a quick question. Got this game and really like it, but I am having a ton of trouble making cash. Is it worth it to grind poo poo out to get armor or can you just ignore it and wait for treasure drops?

When you say 'this game' what entry in the 20+ years of Megaten are you specifically referring to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
SMT1 iOS: I just got to Sendagaya/Shinjuku and I lost a party member at the terminal. Will I get Pascal back later or am I forever unable to fuse Cerberus? Also, will I ever get a compendium?