Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:

Radish posted:

As stupid as some of the character designs for 1 were (and 2 seems to have similar issue...s) I really liked Devil Survivor. The entire concept of being jammed in quarantine with desperate people and monsters was pretty novel. The death prediction gimmick was a cool idea as well. I'm considering getting a 3DS when the price drops just to play the 8th day update.
Honestly, I could care less about the character designs. I loved having an SRPG SMT game. It just felt so satisfying. And even if it didn't make the most sense, I loved stealing new moves. I just loved everything about the game, so I am definitely looking forward to the sequel. Though I'm not really sure what I think about the rumored social link aspects that were added to the game. I mean, they kind of did this already in DS1. So I just can't imagine how they've changed the formula and whether that will be a good or bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

Radish posted:

upcoming games on an actual current console
The first SMT games I played were Persona 3 and 4 (like many others), and I've recently been getting into the more traditional SMT games lately. And I have to say, I am loving every single game I have played. Which is why I'm kind of disappointed that the next game we are probably going to get (besides DS2, which I am pumped for) is Persona 5. Don't get me wrong, I am going to play the poo poo out of that too and love every moment, but Strange Journey was not nearly satisfying enough for me. And if the tradition continues, we won't get another mainline SMT game for another 6+ years (Prove me wrong Atlus!).

Edit:

Cityinthesea posted:

I am super pumped about DS2, especially since it's coming for the regular DS (atlus never change)
I would love to see what they could have done with DS2 on the 3DS, but I am glad that I don't have to drop $170 just to play it.

NIV3K fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 2, 2011

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Really? I'll admit I never saw any sales figures but I thought the first one did pretty well here? I definitely can't wait either though, just sucks we got probably a 6 month wait ahead of us. :(
Not sure how credible this is, but here it is anyways (Link). If it's to be believed, then DS sold above expectations here in NA.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

Marin Karin posted:

I do have a question though: I've played and really enjoyed the first DDS, but I've heard the second game took a serious drop in quality. Is this true and I should just read the LP of it?
I'm currently playing DDS2 myself. And I have to say, so far it is better than DDS1 in almost every way. I love the new mantra grid, I love how they've handled the real world (though it does get a tad ridiculous with their attempts at psuedo-science), and they definitely made Cieolo and Gale more badass. Argilla is so far less whiny as well, so that's a plus. I'm not sure how far I am into this game, so all that may change. But so far I have found my purchase of the game entirely worth it.

That being said, there is one thing I have found more annoying. The dungeon designs have definitely gotten more tedious. I am currently at the power plant and it is kind of ridiculous the stuff they are having you do. I mean, it's not really that ridiculous when it comes to dungeon designing in general, but it is a tad ridiculous when you actually think about it. Why would you put the console to control the big rear end door in the most remote location possible? And then the next door requires the activation of two remote as gently caress consoles. Which themselves are locked behind even more doors that have their own remote consoles. Who the gently caress hired this architect? I really hope that they threw him in the prison after he created this abomination.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

Strange Matter posted:

The idea of a 3DS Persona game is something that I don't think my body could handle. It would be like literal crack to me. I would become pale and emaciated and found dead two weeks later clutching the 3DS in a pool of my own fluids.
Except it will probably just be a rerelease of P1PSP. It would be cool though if they took another crack at fixing all the things complained about.

NIV3K fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 3, 2011

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

I would actually love to see more handheld SMT games. A new Persona game on a 3DS or Vita would be awesome in my opinion. I mean, I have a PS3, so I would obviously pick up any new console games. But I find my tastes shifting more to the portable sides these days.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

Krad posted:

So, apparently Catherine did pretty good on its first week. Can we have P5 now? Please? :shobon:
So, if that is true, then Catherine sold twice as well in their first week as P4 sold in its first six months.

Edit: Fixed the release period for P4 because I lack reading comprehension :downs:

Double Edit: Might help to have a source.

NIV3K fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 4, 2011

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

I'm excited, I just got my hands on a copy of Nocturne. Need to beat DDS2 first, but I can't wait to try this game out.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

So, I had a quick DDS2 question. What does the skill Level Gift do? It's description states "High odds of level-up events." It has had no noticeable impact on amount of experience received after a battle, so I'm kind of stumped as to what it does.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

I had a quick question about DDS2. Spoilers ahead.

I just beat the EGG for the second time, but one thing wasn't clear to me. I know that the black Varna was the demon that the real Serph became when Sera's sadness caused God to send out a huge rush of data that corrupted him. But who/what is the fake white Varna that you also fight? I do have to say that I love that real Serph was a manipulative bastard.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

Also, one other quick question about DDS2. Where is a good spot to farm money? I'm trying to grind out some Mantras, but money is holding me back at this point. Also, gently caress the fact that they made it almost 500k more expensive to get both Dekaja and Dekunda in this game.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

The Divine Orator posted:

board-shorts
I was wondering what those were, I thought he was just randomly in his underwear. That makes things make a lot more sense, thanks.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

doomfunk posted:

Serph completely kicks rear end if you give him a focus on strength, as I recall.
This is completely true. And it is definitely helpful because devouring is based on strength.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

Momomo posted:

I gave up on Strange Journey when they wanted the player to run around multiple floors without any indication as to where to go, looking for the boss. Some of the floors wouldn't even show up on the map and had invisible walls, so you have to spend 10 minutes bumping up against them trying to find every possible path. Since people keep mentioning Sector E, I assume that's it. What's even worse is, I can't check a guide to help because I played it so long ago, and forgot how many times I've seen him.
I'm pretty sure you are talking about Sector C, not E.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

So, I didn't think much about the ability for people to view messages sent from other people about what to do on a certain day in P4G, but looking back I had a question. Are these messages going to be a grouping of pre-generated phrases, or will people be able to type whatever they want (say for instance the name of the killer)?

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

On Day 2, and I wasn't able to save Keita. No clue what I needed to do to save them, but I saved before the battle so there's no way I can change it. Does this block me from any endings? I just don't want to be trying to get one just to find out I already screwed it up.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

Is there a "worst" ending in DS2 like Yuzu's in DS1?

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

Alteisen posted:

Just like I did with DS2. :iamafag:

Changing the subject for a second, do you guys think we'll see another mainline SMT game ala Strange Journey and Nocturne? Or will it be the Persona stuff which seems to be much more profitable.
I don't know if the demon negotiation was better in any of the other games that used it, but I couldn't stand it in SJ. In fact, its the entire reason I quit playing the game. The dungeon crawling was great, but DS and Persona have far superior ways of getting Demons/Personas. So if a new mainline game dumps that piece of crap or at least makes it not terrible to use, then I'm all for a new one.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I just saw this over in the Vita thread and thought it might interest some people here. Atlus is having a PSN sale which includes all three of the PSP Persona games.
So, I realize that this is specifically an SMT thread, but are any of the other Atlus PSP games worth picking up? I don't really know anything about them, but seeing as they are on sale it seems like a good time to pick them up if there are any decent ones.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

I just bought P3P because of the sale and I had a quick question. It's been years since I last played FES, so can someone remind me what S. Links are the best? Best in both enjoyability and the persona I can get out of it. Also, can you tell me what date they become available and if there are any stat restrictions to get them. And to clarify, I am playing the Female MC.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

Pierce posted:

I liked the execution in Strange Journey better than the rest. The answers fit the demon's alignment (except on the full moon).

But yeah, I prefer the P3P or Devil Survivor games execution better. The Devil Survivor system is my favorite. I realize it's cheesy but the auctions entertain me.
Except this isn't true at all. In Strange Journey I would talk to the same exact demon twice, not on the full moon, and answer the question the same way both times. The first time they would attack and the second time they would join me. For me, Demon Negotiation has always simply been a RNG determining whether or not I can capture a demon.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

DDS' biggest flaw IMO is that you can get through practically both games without grinding at all but when you hit the last dungeon in both you're basically required to just grind for 2+ hours because all the monsters and bosses just do so much damage.
I think the biggest flaw is playing DDS2 right after 1. It seems like a good idea because 1 is only half the story, but if you did any grinding in 1 (especially if you did all the side quests), then there is a very big chance of burning out before you beat 2.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

Zombies' Downfall posted:

the right answer to which is seemingly random and 75% of the time the wrong answers just piss them off.
This is what pisses me off about every single iteration of the demon negotiation system. I would be fine with it if demons stuck to their answers, but the fact that what they want you to say to them changes at the drop of a dime just pisses me off and makes me want nothing else to do with the game. Hell, if everyone stuck to their answers you could even have a few that randomly decided which answer they prefer as a quirky trait. I feel like this would actually lend more character to demons because they have more consistent views as opposed to wildly vacillating ideas.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

I just picked up Nocturne and was wondering if any could tell me without spoilers how the endings work. Is it the type of game where all that determines the ending I get is a decision I make at the very end, or is it based on things I do throughout the game?

Also, does anyone have any stat advancement advice? I'm going with a physical build, but I've been told not to entirely neglect Magic. So I was just wondering what is a good level to get Magic too and in general the other stats as well.

Also, as a physical build, what attack skills should I be keeping an eye out for?

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

In Nocturne are elemental resistances worth taking up a skill slot?

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

In Nocturne are there any Demons or items or other such things that are permanently missable?

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

I'd be fine with demon negotiation if demons had consistent preferences based upon their type and alignment. gently caress the RNG choices that make demon negotiation in the past games BS.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Basically an SMT game without the demon conversations would be the best SMT. Basically they just need to make Digital Devil Sage and add in demon party members and fusion.
I would love a spiritual sequel to DDS1&2. Specifically the turning into demons, cannibalism, and the mantra system of gaining skills.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

I don't understand Nemichi's once per day growth. Do I have to wait 24 hours after I last grew it before I can grow it again?

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

Speedball posted:

Goddamn, this is frustrating. I have been playing Soul Hackers for at least an hour and a half, I'm in the freezer and I have yet to get a single goddamn demon to join me.

Have you been looking for the smiley face next to their names?

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

Have they said for SMTIV whether or not it will include the ability to choose which skills to inherit instead of having to menu grind? If that's in, it's a day one buy for me.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

In Soul Hackers, is it random what gender Nemechi resets to? The first run through it was female, and I've reset it and it seems to be going female again and I'm getting no new demons.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

I kind of wish that the Devil Survivor games would implement something like VLRs branching paths interface for attaining multiple endings. I can never do more than two playthroughs consecutively before I get extremely bored with the game and stash it, despite my interest in seeing other endings.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

Nocturne plays like IV except it uses the old fusion system and it has random encounters. It's pretty drat good and it has a good 6 endings and you can nab a copy for less than $20 on Amazon!

Don't forget that you also can't save everywhere, the dungeons are a lot larger, and demon negotiation (at least in my opinion) was clunkier and far more aggravating. Basically, Nocturne was brutally difficult because it had a ton of tedious bullshit that IV did away with.

It still had a kick rear end MC and pretty cool setting and music. Just wanted it to be clear that coming in from playing DS and IV really make it apparent how bullshit Nocturne can be for no good reason.

Personally, I think IV is the best game thanks to all its refinements.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

Armor-Piercing posted:

I get frustrated by the dungeons in Strange Journey, but I still like them. I mostly just really don't like the alignment-based combat mechanic (or that, in one or two late-game instances, you are punished for doing what you've been encouraged to do the entire game) or the way the MC's skills and stats are determined. With Press Turn and being able to customize your MC more, the game would be fantastic to me. As it is, though, I don't want to replay it at all.

In addition to this I don't really like how demon fusion works. It's not awful, but its far worse than IV. I also dislike demon negotiation because it feels far more RNG-y than IV. Nothing like multiple demons up and attacking you for choosing any option they offer. To elaborate further on the stats issue it was basically impossible to get any sort of desirable build because the stat gains were random and didn't even always match the tendency you were given at the beginning (which was also bullshit. It just was not fun in any way shape or form to play item bot.

I actually liked the dungeon crawling parts. SJ was just a tedious bullshit rpg.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

DeathBySpoon posted:

Welp, almost time to find out if I need to rebuy a Vita or not. I'd be surprised if it wasn't on PS3, though.
Is there supposed to be some announcement today or something?

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

So will that be at 6am for EST on Sunday?

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

I'm hoping it will be more details on Persona 5 (or yet another game) and not just another anime announcement.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

Part of the stream is a recap of the first P3 movie and a preview of the second one (which I gather is the reason the stream is going to be region locked), so I really don't think it'll be a new animated series.

It could be an announcement of a third movie that covers the events of the Answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Just got ahold of both halves of DDS, and was wondering what some tips for down the road should be.
Be wary of playing them back to back. Although they are two halves of a single story, the inherent gameplay reset of switching to the second game caused me some major burn out that took awhile to get over.