Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Agnostic watermelon posted:

Is Nocturne even beatable without debuffs?

Absolutely. You'd need to plan your demons and skills carefully and it'd be hard as hell at times, but it's not outwith the realms of possibility.

A lov-level/minimalist run, on the other hand...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

It's not an SMT game, but I figured this would be of interest to people: there's a fantranslation being worked on for the Generation Xth series. They're a spinoff of the Japanese Wizardry games that we never got to see, but they're so much like the original SMT games, it's amazing: strange monsters, crushing difficulty, dungeon crawling and a cyberpunk/dystopian twist to keep everything interesting. I've been hoping for a translation for a few years, and so far, this is not disappointing. The first alpha release for testers came out a few days ago, and they're looking for more testers or general help. If all goes well, there's another two games in the series to be translated (which is great, because each game lets you import/export your party like the classic Wiz series). Progress seems to be going swiftly, so it's worth keeping an eye on.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Not to mention unlike, say P4 the stuff that happened in FATE events actually had a minor (and sometimes major) impact on other scenes.

S links occurring in a vacuum in p4 was such a loving bad decision and I have no clue how they could think that was a good idea, especially with a big emphasis on characters changing, since it just made most of the p4 cast stay the same throughout the game since their major character development was relegated to a vacuum that might as well not exist. (They barely changed after their midnight channel events personality wise but you got to see an almost completely different side of them in some s links)

This was easily the biggest problem I had with P4. When one of the crew had their Persona evolve in 3, it was a moment of triumph for the character. It was something important to their story arc. In P4, it felt a lot more clinical. I know it was supposed to tie in to the idea that the Investigation Team were closer than SEES, but personally, I felt like I was cheated of some character development.

I also thought the endgame of P4 was seriously lacking as well, but P3 was probably the finest ending I've seen in any game, so take that how you will.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I thought Yosuke was a decent guy who just didn't think before speaking. He'd just say the first thing that came out of his mouth and usually wind up getting dick-punched for it. As mentioned, the game takes great pains to point out that when Yosuke's voicing an opinion, that opinion is usually wrong.

The only problem I had with him was that he was voiced by Yuri Lowenthal, and that's just because I'm seriously bored by him now. I have the same problem with Johnny Yong Bosh too.

Mailer posted:

Does P4G count? It seemed like the ending that they wanted to give P4. You get to see that your ties with the other characters went beyond riding out of town and ditching them forever.

I meant more that from Nanako's kidnaping onward the story takes a nosedive. And then when you get the true ending, the party's reaction isn't 'let's put an end to this' it's 'let's give this guy a good sendoff'. What, did someone replace my team with Klingons while I wasn't looking?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

No fan of breasts enjoys the horrors that man has unleashed. :colbert:

Ia C'levaj! :cthulhu:

Also, in fairness, the Hijiri/Aleph thing is a pretty cool idea, so I can see why people would jump on it so readily.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

NextTime000 posted:

Is he French in the French version?

Europe never saw a release.

I'm not bitter.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Nate RFB posted:

It is worth noting that all of the philosophies are presented unto you by crazy assholes and there is nothing wrong with the picking the path of punching everyone in the face instead.

If you want to see the most of what any given Megaten game has to offer, the Neutral path is often the best choice, since you wind up having to kill everyone.

Fun fun fun!

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Is it a 12 episode run, or are they doing a full season?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

TurnipFritter posted:

JPS is literally Nerv.

To be fair, 'secretive government agencies with an agenda or ten' aren't even remotely exclusive to Eva, let alone anime. I can think of a fair few off the top of my head.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Wark Say posted:

Wait, hold up. HOLD THE gently caress UP. Are you telling me that all this crazy fanon about the spin-offs (and some of the sequels) being Alternate Universes of the two main Super Famicom games I've read about isn't utter, one-hundred percent bullshit? I know there are hints here and there within the games but-- Holy crap. That's well over 20 years of a continuity of sorts.

:tinfoil:

Basically. There's been enough hints in each game that you can piece together a decent approximation. IIRC, the major split happens after Thorman drops the hammer (:v:) on Japan: one timeline leads to the main Megaten games, the other leads to the Persona series (starting with If...., due to the appearance of Tamaki in P2 onwards). Add to that the confirmation of alternate universes being present in other games, allowing for the existence of games like DDS and so on and yeah, you've got a pretty solid continuity, with the bonus of people not whining about it as with the Zelda timeline!

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I'm considering playing one Megaten game a month from start to finish for the rest of the year.

Someone stop me before I hurt myself.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Have fun with Demikids! Play both of the ones that came to the US, they have seperate plotlines, sort of like a lovely Persona 2.

I said 'before I hurt myself' not 'before I leave my brain a desolate wasteland'. I'm masochistic, not suicidal.

Edit: Incidentally, does anyone have a spare save for Persona 1 PSP with Reiji/Chris in their party? I want to make a proper attempt at it, but I'm so sick of the opening few hours of the game by now.

Kaboom Dragoon fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 16, 2013

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

thebardyspoon posted:

So I finished Persona 4 last year, started 3 FES earlier this year, got about 2 hours into it (unlocked Tartarus basically) and decided I didn't have time to play another one of those games. I changed my mind and picked it back up but there's some stuff I'm unclear on and it seems like the game isn't going to explain it. Once my team is tired is it a good idea to just burn the poo poo out of them? What I'd assume is that once they're tired there aren't degrees of tired right? So once they're at that state I may as well just keep going until we have no SP left then leave. It mentioned something about me possibly losing days on my main character though which seems bad and something I'd like to avoid? I'm on the 23rd of April which is the second night you can go into Tartarus by choice I think, my guys are tired already from the previous night but I figured I may as well go back in and try to get as far up as possible. Managed to get up to level 8 and then died to the 3 hands miniboss, I think that's about the limit when they're missing so much because of the tiredness. I also didn't save because your party leaves if you go down to the lobby so I have a bit to do again now. I guess I'm asking if I should go with my natural inclination to burn through as much of the tower as possible at every opportunity or not, in P4 I did every dungeon in one day but obviously that's not possible in this. Maybe I'm trying to do it too fast?

When your party members get Tired, your accuracy and evasion goes down and you take more damage. If you persist, they eventually become Sick and all their stats plummet. In either case, when you return to the ground floor, the character will leave the party. They'll then be unavailable for a couple of days (if Tired) or the better part of a week or more (if Sick). The exception is the main character: if he gets Tired or Sick, he can either go see Mr. Edogawa, who'll give you a pick-me-up, or use a bathroom, which has a chance to increase your status. If you're still ill come evening, you can't do any evening activities.

By about the halfway mark, you won't have to worry about your characters' conditions that much, since the amount of time they can spend in Tartarus increases as the game goes on. If you go for a massive grind session, it'll happen, but by and large, you can fight as much as you want. At the start, however, don't push your characters too hard. Get a couple of levels, find some treasure, then call it a day and you'll be fine. In vanilla P3, you used to be able to fight for as long as you wanted the night before a full moon, but I think they changed that for FES, right?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

DarkHamsterlord posted:

Note that seeing Edogawa doesn't actually improve your status, it just gives you a courage boost. It's sometimes worth keeping your main character tired so you can get free courage boosts every day, though.

Really? I was sure it had a chance to improve your health. In fairness, it's been a good few years since I last played.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Since the gap between P2 and P3 was seven years, I would not be surprised if an equally or nearly as long amount of time passed before Persona 5 actually became a thing.

I'd be fine with this. And since every couple of games have had their own spin on things (Persona 2:IS/EP were similar but different from P1, P3&4 were different from them again) I wouldn't be surprised if they went in a different direction again. I know P3&4 were hugely popular, but they're starting to outstay their welcome. Best they move on before they start looking like Square Enix.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Unmature posted:

I keep finding mixed reviews of the MegaTen OVA based on the novels that came out around the same time as the first game.

Is it worth watching?

It's worth seeing. Same with Tokyo Revelations. Bonus points if you can get the dubs, which are just delightful.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Are you able to swap out/upgrade skills on your main? I'm not looking for a system like DDS, but it's nice to know I won't be stuck tossing weak-rear end Bufu spells at Surt by the endgame.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Does increasing Int on your main affect demon conversation like in the main series? Or should I just be pumping Str/En/Agi/Luk as in every other game and leaving Nemissa to nuke everything while laughing?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

ImpAtom posted:

Trint 2 is probably Trine 2. Atlus published that and it's a PS4 launch title now.

Trinity Soul 2, anyone? Anyone? No?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Dehry posted:

There will be no male social links this time around. In fact, it will be a harem anime and for some reason you're the only boy at the school.

But if there's no other boys, who are the fangirls going to ship the main character with? I don't think you understand anime as much as you think you do :smugteddie:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

404GoonNotFound posted:

"Persona 5: There's No Way My Inner Turmoil Can Be This Cute!!"

P5: No Matter How I Look At It, It's Your Fault The World's Being Devoured By Hopelessness!

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Dehry posted:

E: Also, who's the other guy?

It's the kid from Trinity Soul. That concert featured music from P3&4 and TS. Not too much of a fan of it myself, the version of Deep Breath, Deep Breath is bland as hell.

Accordion Man posted:

I really wish they would have just retconned the P3 protagonist into the FeMC, she is genuinely a far better written and more likable character than Blandy McEnabler.

Not having played P3P, what's so cool about her? I keep hearing people say she's the better protag, but no one really elaborates.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

BottledBodhisvata posted:

This would be hilarious. Better if they had a bunch of really badly drawn (maybe with Crayon) Personas that are Teddie's attempt to make his own Arcana cards.

Maybe we'll finally get a Fetherman Persona!

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Strange Quark posted:

It's nice to see Atlus USA is still apparently getting work.

That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange concepts, every weeaboo will buy

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I dunno, I could see the Bacterial Contamination version of Miku fitting in perfectly to some of the earlier games (:nws::nms:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tktcOUi-x-A

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I have no idea where people are getting all this stuff from. All I can see is two bears hi-fiving on a sailboat.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

You could easily get away with buying a second-hand PSP and PS2 and scouring Amazon/eBay for the games. That gives you access to everything released in the last decade or so barring Devil Survivor 1&2, Strange Journey, P4A/Golden, Soul Hackers, SMT4 and Catherine (which is really more of an honorary title than an actual part of the series). Pick up a Dreamcast if you want Maken X as well. The PS2 remake, Maken Shao, is superior in every way, but I believe that only ever got a Euro release, not a US one. It's worth checking out for the soundtrack, if nothing else.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Saigyouji posted:

Maken Shao is up on PSN too, IIRC. Unless that's just the EU PSN? Never did beat that game. Some of the later levels are ridiculous.

No idea, I have a 360. I do have a physical copy of the game though, one of the few times I've been glad to live in Europe. If you think Maken Shao is hard though, it's a walk in the park compared to X.

Pasteurized Milk posted:

Does anyone know what's up with the box for the PS1 Persona 1 game? Recently found my copy while cleaning out my garage, and, for the life of me, I can not remember why it has the multidisc kind of box.

Was the manual really big? I still haven't found that, but it's probably somewhere in a box I have dedicated to loose game manuals.

I just checked my copy there. The manual's not actually all that big, maybe only about 40 pages or so. It could easily have fit in a regular case. I remember Atlus had a habit of releasing a lot of their games in the bigger cases back then though.

Fake edit: actually, looking at the US games I own (almost entirely RPGs, I'll admit), not one of them comes in a regular case. All of them are multi-disc cases. Guess they needed to stand out more back when they were less popular.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Aw, I was hoping Persona 5 would have some kind of geocaching minigame.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

CottonWolf posted:

Persona 5 - You can only summon Amaterasu if you make a pilgrimage to Ise.

I joke, but if P5 were a Vita game that could be a pretty cool mechanic. If you go to certain places you can get a free Persona intimately associated with that place. As long as either that wasn't the only way to get them, or they were just very minor ones that didn't count towards your compendium completion.

EDIT: I guess you could do it with a phone app too, even if it were a console game.

Equal parts RPG and Ingress? I can see it happening before long. Nintendo's already made a start with the Playcoins thing, it's only a matter of time before someone takes it to the next level.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Here's hoping P5 is divorced from P3&4. It's really time for a fresh start.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Terper posted:

School is prison, you are a slave to the system.

Deadman Wonderland: The Game.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Dirt Taco Scuba posted:

Sup no PS3 buddy. :smith:

I'll wait until next year to grab a PS3. It should be a little cheaper by then.

We should all club together, see if we can find somewhere that sells PS3s in bulk...

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

BlazeEmblem posted:

So where did the idea for Dancing All Night come from? Did somebody look at Golden's opening video and think "Now that's a game"?

Wouldn't surprise me. Kingdom Hearts came from a meeting in an elevator between two execs bullshitting.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

kirbysuperstar posted:

People worried about the games not coming over to the West should remember that right now Atlus USA are prepping to release freaking Conception 2 of all things. It'll be fine, yo.

I'm not worried about them coming over to the West, I'm worried about them coming over to Europe. The PS3 may be region-free, but the 3DS is still locked up tighter than a nun at Manumission.

Rinkles posted:

The SJ ost felt a bit phoned in. It could have used some more variety.

Yeah, I was happy at seeing Meguro take a break from his current J-pop obsession, but honestly, I was not feeling it.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

NutritiousSnack posted:

Instead of a HEAT METER he gets GET BENT

There's a sidequest to renovate EVERY drat SHOP IN THE AREA!

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Crabtree posted:

I thought I was being friendly and supportive in P4 when I gave Rise a hug, but lo and behold, I'm just scumming for a romance with the flirty one by showing her empathy at the potential death of her idol career she cares deeply about. At least with Naoto you were given more overt options that you wanted a different kind of relationship, but I don't want the path of being the nice guy turning into the harem run.

Seriously, I think I've just been burned too much by Bioware's output of late when it comes to in-game relationships. Can't I just listen to your problems and be a supportive friend without any undertones of wanting to get in your pants? I'd be entirely happy if they just left the romance by the wayside and just let me be ultra-buddies with everyone.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Does Int actually affect demon conversation in Soul Hackers? I've been hesitant to raise it over the MC's other key stats.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

W.T. Fits posted:

Can someone who is more familiar with Japanese idol culture explain why Kanamin's outfit looks like a fast-food worker's outfit with a bunch of superfluous ribbons and poo poo tacked on?

Every time I see her, I feel like I should be placing an order for some chicken nuggets or something.
She actually looks like she's based on Erika from Catherine. She had a red and yellow outfit and red hair as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I've always been happy with fixed names anyway. Back in the day, when games were more straightforward, it was easier to imagine yourself as the hero. Now we have characters with established personalities and motives, it's less becoming the character, more naming a pet.