Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Yazman posted:

Is there anything like BOSS for Morrowind or even a decent mod manager that actually works? I can't seem to find anything except for a broken tool on the Nexus.

They actually just added support for Morrowind in the latest BOSS release, but in their own words, "no mod plugins are recognised and no further support is planned". So, they recommend using this instead if you're planning to mod up Morrowind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Sky Shadowing posted:

and that Skyrim mod with the father who's convinced that since his daughter is the same race as her mother, she's a clone whose not related to him and... (see: :gonk:)

Is it weird that I typically download Interesting NPCs not because of the titular character additions but rather because it actually gives you some loving varied dialogue options to help flesh out your character? I know, I'm hitting the epitome of ~*my immersion*~ and junk, but it's quite frustrating that the variance in Bethesda's presentation of available dialogue lines to the player usually ranges between "Yes, I will do this quest" and "No, I will not do this quest". See also: "Who are you?" and "I'd like to trade some things."

I mean, the system's there but it's such a bummer that only modders really utilize it.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Really, any Jeremy Soule soundtrack works here; having his Taris theme from KotOR begin playing while you're exploring Vivec is a pretty cool experience.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Close, but they're actually Camonna Tong, so it shouldn't affect your standing with the Thieves Guild. On the other hand, if you actually start working for Hard-Heart, then yeah, you do end up killing a bunch of the Thieves Guild leadership, so don't even both joining up with them if you plan to do that.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

OpenMW 0.42.0 is out.

Distant Land is a cool addition but I'm not sure if I'd ever use it; the draw distance mist is like a good third of Morrowind's atmosphere for me.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Good points, all.

I'll give it a try when 1.0 eventually comes around (which shouldn't be that long given that all that appears to be left is shadows and some AI stuff).

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

You better do what they say.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Upmarket Mango posted:

So a big new landmass/quest mod called 'Roscrea' just came out today.

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45531

Going by the images it looks to be pretty cool/weird. Judging by the map the modder provided this shouldn't conflict with Tamriel Rebuilt.

I clicked on the link and looked at the images before reading the description and man did I have the mother of all double takes when I saw those power lines

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Node posted:

compared to oblivion, everything is stable

Speaking as someone who just wrapped up a 90ish-hour-long modded playthrough of Oblivion: The game ain’t that crashy, provided you’re running the right memory boosters (the 4GB patch and ENBBoost, primarily) and NVAC.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 8, 2018

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

i'm heart-plume

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

The problem I have with LGNPC is that I never engage with it. The conversation system in Morrowind is not interesting enough to want to spend time reading NPCs back stories. Skeezy or not, I appreciate the effort that went into it, but it's just not for me.

This. The writing isn't especially bad per se, but I just felt smothered every time I entered a new town and started talking to folks.

Now, a "quests-only" version would be awesome, because their breadth and relative mundanity were actually pretty true to Morrowind imo

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

so it turns out that, because we live in hell and the only outlandish thing about Buffalo Bill is that there was no ending twist where it was revealed that he's nothing out of the ordinary and every other artist is like that too, Jeremy Soule gets his inspiration by raping women

https://twitter.com/alienmelon/status/1166106560809992192?s=19

loving hell. I gleaned something was off about the dude when his kickstarter imploded the way it did, but, just, holy crap.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Also it seems the morrowind_txt Twitter shut down. :(

Nah, they're still going.

https://twitter.com/morrowind_txt/status/1265280109725933569?s=20

They did post goatse last week and explained it away as "testing some admin features" though

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Hey lil buddy, what you doing down here

he totally kicked my rear end lol (probably thanks to the BtSH mod) so I ended up just leaving him alone

fake edit: Has anyone else had this issue with certain scrolls showing up as black squares when equipped? Nothing happens when I try to use them, either.

The only thing I can point to are these specific scrolls having higher charge values than cost ones in the menu (which shouldn't matter at all because, well, they're scrolls)

also I have doubles of some of them (same values and everything) that work just fine?

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 12, 2021

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Just use the Morrowind# guide like I did :)

even if half the spell scrolls are irrevocably broken for me and I can't figure out why arrgghh :unsmigghh:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

This is the first MW run I’ve done with Mod Manager and I love how the MO splash logo changes to Morrowind’s style when you boot it :3:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Why is it this dark at 7:30 in the morning? I know for a fact it wasn't like this when I started my playthrough.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

hooah posted:

Do you have a mod that adjusts the sunrise and sunset times bases on the season?

I thought I didn't but apparently I need to read mod descriptions better as Watch The Skies does indeed include "dynamic daylight hours"

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

reaching the point of the playthrough where you realize Morrowind has like no money sinks except enchanting and various mods

ah, well. *continues picking up every scroll and hackle-lo leaf in range*

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

With Harder Barter and no monster merchants I struggle to earn too much money; I have Mercantile as a minor skill, it's in the 40s, and anything less than an ebony or deadric weapon won't max out a merchant, and even then I'm left selling things to, say, the smith in Vivec Foreign Quarter who has 2500 gold.

Yeah, I made the mistake(?) of rolling a fancy-talkin' Wood Elf thief this time around so my Personality and Speechcraft/Mercantile are all up in the stratosphere by this point (partially thanks to MULE). No Harder Barter but Anti-Cheese does nerf the creature merchants to a significant degree. Regardless, I can pretty much set any gold amount sold and merchants will be down for it. :dance:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Finally ran up against that classic ender of Morrowind playthroughs, the *checks notes* Tribunal expansion

Even with the sweet rebalance mod, it's all just sewers and hallways and an okay main storyline nestled within a bunch of side quests that feel like they came out of a mod writing-wise

The only good things it gives us are 1) Almalexia/Sotha Sil 2) The Museum of Artifacts 3) The "Castle Xyr" play quest 4) Gaenor actually no Gaenor is bullshit, gently caress that guy

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 23, 2021

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Private Speech posted:

I think the Vivec waistworks/underworks are pretty cool.

Oh yeah there's all sorts of cool poo poo down there (daedric shrines, random corprus monsters, main quest NPCs) if you look hard enough

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

I also imagined that she was from the hinterlands of High Rock and could barely read or speak anything but her own Provencal tongue; which meant I was going to play the whole game in French, in which I'm not fluent, so her confusion could match my own.

This is a really cool way to approach the game.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

somebody call jenny nicholson

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Did a new install with the Morrowind++ modlist, did the requisite cleaning, merge, sorting, plus all the Wrye Mash stuff, still getting the below warnings on startup:
code:
Unable to locate object 'AB_w_ChitinTomahawkFire' in Leveled Item 'random_loot_special_marksman'.
Unable to locate object 'AB_w_IronTomahawkFla' in Leveled Item 'random_loot_special_marksman'.
Unable to locate object 'AB_w_IronTomahawkSha' in Leveled Item 'random_loot_special_marksman'.
Unable to locate object 'AB_w_IronTomahawkSpa' in Leveled Item 'random_loot_special_marksman'.
Unable to locate object 'AB_w_IronTomahawkVip' in Leveled Item 'random_loot_special_marksman'.
Unable to locate object 'AB_w_SilverTomahawkCruFla' in Leveled Item 'random_loot_special_marksman'.
Unable to locate object 'AB_w_SilverTomahawkCruSha' in Leveled Item 'random_loot_special_marksman'.
Unable to locate object 'AB_w_SilverTomahawkCruSpa' in Leveled Item 'random_loot_special_marksman'.
Unable to locate object 'AB_w_SilverTomahawkCruVip' in Leveled Item 'random_loot_special_marksman'.
Unable to locate object 'AB_w_SteelTomahawkFla' in Leveled Item 'random_loot_special_marksman'.
Unable to locate object 'AB_w_SteelTomahawkSha' in Leveled Item 'random_loot_special_marksman'.
Unable to locate object 'AB_w_SteelTomahawkSpa' in Leveled Item 'random_loot_special_marksman'.
Unable to locate object 'AB_w_SteelTomahawkVip' in Leveled Item 'random_loot_special_marksman'.
Unable to locate object 'CS_MTG' in Leveled Item 'GVRM_MorTng2_Grvs'.
Unable to locate object 'CS_MTB' in Leveled Item 'GVRM_MorTng2_Boots'.
Unable to find script 'TR_m1_Q62_KtM_Script_12' on object 'TR_m1_Q62_KtM_GHT_Gura2'.
Unable to find script 'TR_m1_Q62_KtM_Script_11' on object 'TR_m1_Q62_KtM_GHT_Gurad'.
No clue what mod (WARES? Either of the, like, three weapon collections it has you install?) may be looking for those tomahawks, but installing the one tomahawk mod I found on Nexus (sans the esps) didn't work. As for the other errors... I have a mod that replaces the Morag Tong armor but I don't know what exactly the game is looking for there. Ditto with the Tamriel Rebuilt scripts.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 24, 2022

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

mbt posted:

tr just updated so any mods modifying stuff erroring out is kind of expected
edit: wares was updated yesterday so it isnt that

I did grab 22.11 for this install, the only issue I've had of it so far is seeing that "depreciated assets" box pop up on a bookshelf in the Library of Vivec mod.

Oh hey, MGE just updated with quest-related statics auto-updating but this is the real improvement imo

code:
- Fixed (again) splash screens showing a thin line of background color pixels on the top edge.
:neckbeard:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

tump tump tump tump tump tump

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Jazerus posted:

you should simply accept that everyone on vvardenfel is too poor to afford your poo poo at market value and sell it anyway for what you can get. there's more than enough stuff in the game to get rich this way

It's me, I'm the idiot who uses the Mazed Band to teleport to Mournhold every time I pick up something remotely valuable

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Half of them are poo poo or pointless so it's a blessing. No don't pretend you've ever used the propylon chambers, nobody has

I would agree but I always end up doing the full scavenger hunt with that guy in Caldera just to get the Master Index and have yet another semi-useful mode of fast travel

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Captain Theron posted:

So I've recently finished modding Morrowind using this guide and I'm getting terrible performance with open Morrowind. Like 25 fps in Balmora on a 3090 with dips to 16 at times. This is with a bunch of shadow and water settings turned low. Is this just how Morrowind is, given it's a janky 20 year old game or am I missing something?

No, I used this same mod guide earlier this year with a 4090/5900x and got slightly-higher but still staggeringly low framerates. OpenMW is pretty much your sole option if you want high FPS modded Morrowind.

edit: nvm, can't read

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 31, 2023

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Yeah my 5900x/4090 ate poo poo in modded Balmora last time I did a playthrough on MGE-XE, sat around 40 FPS or so.

Here's my own weird beef to contribute, TR for making you visit all the mainland Telvanni councilors during the Hortator quest; they couldn't at least wait until *all* the houses were implemented before throwing that little pile of busy work in?? :argh:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

*door closing sound*

you're beaten!

*schwing*
*rat squeak*

you're beaten!

*thwack*

die fetcher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The wise woman always just walked on water for me as a matter of course :confused: