Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
After 27 hours, this is my current Morrowind play through. First time I’ve really gotten into the game since I was a kid:

Weird skill/attribute numbers are from Natural Character Growth and Decay, which I turned out to not be super excited about but I’d lose all momentum if I started another run without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

paying our respects at Lowtax's corpse I see lol

Yes, I literally grabbed the hammer from his body, posted it in the thread and have been using it to level blunt weapons ever since lmao

Ginette Reno posted:

Nightblade was what I went with on my run a couple months ago. Had a pretty good time with it. I was an Argonian though.

What factions did you go with?

I used my old favourite alternative start, that the ship had crashed off Azura's Coast, so it was pretty easy to fall in with House Telvanni from there.

I don't think many of the other factions block each other off, but I'm currently working on the Morag Tong since one of the later targets is right next to a propylon index I want. Then I'm going to do the Tribunal Temple, and I've also done significant portions of the Thieves' Guild, Mages' Guild, and Imperial Legion. Main quest what's that

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vavrek posted:

The main pair is that the Fighters and Thieves guilds are at war. Doing the quests for both in Balmora requires carefully threading a needle to make sure one or the other doesn't kick you out. Also, a couple of the end-of-faction quests have tricky conflicts to navigate.

Oh, right - i started the thieves' guild already (did everything in Sadrith Mora and some stuff in Balmora) so I should be fine, and I'm aware that I don't want to follow the stupid mage's guild archmage's instructions. Got a big set of UESP tabs to make sure I don't gently caress anything up, but thank you!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

You can also just kill Trebonius fairly early. He's pretty tough but if you've for some decent spells and scrolls you can gently caress him up.

yeah i'm just gonna do all the stuff for the lady in ald'ruhn so i can challenge him, after i find out what happened to the dwarves. gonna beat him down in the arena and get his poo poo

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Midig posted:

Oh look! Morrowind modding is not a complete shitshow. In fact OpenMW 0.47 is promising and I finally made the switch. I had to remove MWSE, Code Patch and MGE XE. So how do I make water and Lightning look great? Also, feels kind of cathartic to remove MWSE dependant mods I cannot use anymore. The limitation is somehow quite freeing.

EDIT: NVM changing water shaders was easy as pie. Still seek to make lighting look a bit better and I hope there are some good 3d animations for Morrowind, especially running.

Modding-openmw.com has a guide to getting some lighting mods up and going in OpenMW.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Midig posted:

Nice. Anyways. Does anyone happen to have mountain textures I can use to overwrite the one given by OpenMW? I get purple mountains because I cannot update windows.Anyways, the capes from Olafs best cloaks in town technically looks good. But the way it floats when you stand still and the leg clipping makes it quite unappealing.

you can't update windows to something released in the last five years, including windows 10 which was literally free?

if not, try some of the texture mods at modding-openmw

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Midig posted:

It has a free update? Where? Also, I cannot blame people who want to stick to MGe XE. I prefer MGEXE blue mist color over the grey/beige one in OpenMW. But LOOK AT THIS:

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/46816?tab=images

The color variety is providies it cna provide is just ASTOUNDING. If someone finds a way to provide anything similar for OpenMW that will be the final thing I do. Maybe along with some better UI and animations.

you can literally install windows 10 with any old windows 7 or windows 8 key, likely including illegal ones. microsoft has all but explicitly publicly said they do not care they just wanted as many people as possible on windows 10.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

I literally cannot visualize Morrowind npcs walking any other way.

i can, they usually start about 100 feet up though

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

I'm gonna replay morrowind after I finishing speeding through daggerfalls main quest.
Taking suggestions for mods and other gimmicks since I wanted to see what OpenMw is like.

https://modding-openmw.com

i went for most of the total overhaul stuff and enjoyed it

e: this is actively updated and maintained, btw

Arivia fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Dec 10, 2021

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mbt posted:

does wabbajack still work

wabbajack isn't a thing for morrowind yet, it requires someone to set up a customized specific list and update it and the support isn't quite there

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
here's my stats at the end of tonight's session

note i'm using ngcd so stats work a bit differently than they do in vanilla morrowind (that's why i have drastically less health for example)

i've mostly just been making lots of potions, selling them to creeper, and investing the profits in training, i am still very early on as far as most of the game's quests go

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

I don't understand why openMW can't find the new bsas from the total overhaul! :(

https://modding-openmw.com/tips/register-bsas/ so add a data entry for the folder in question, and then register the BSA in it

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

How do I get the delta merge program to work?
edit: modding OpenMW sucks rear end nothing works correctly. :mad:

okay, so step 1 is to make sure your other mods are loaded and working in OpenMW

step 2 is to download the delta plugin executable and install it where it says it goes

step 3 is to copy the path to the delta plugin executable, paste it into a command prompt and run "delta_plugin.exe merge", this will create a new omwaddon file in the delta plugin directory if it completes successfully. (this step will work a bit differently if you're not on windows). recently the delta plugin hasn't been refreshing the command prompt for some reason for me but hitting escape gets the command prompt to show the messages from it working for me

step 4 is to edit your openmw.cfg file and add the delta plugin to your load order - you need to add the folder itself as a data source (you can use the same path you copied in step 3), then the new omwaddon you created in step 3. this new omwaddon must be the absolute last addon you load.

you need to redo this every time you add or update any addon or mod from now on.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FlocksOfMice posted:

I'm chuffed people are getting enjoyment from MDMD, I'm glad it's adding something to everyone's playthrough a. I'm glad my week long fugue state of modding was worthwhile

Do you have a list somewhere of everyone it makes harder? I’m super jacked but I’ve barely done any of the main quest so when I ran into Boss Crito at like level 60 it was a very fun surprising experience.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FlocksOfMice posted:

The readme lists all 200+ npcs, what it changes about them, and why I did it. In rough overview it hits nearly every Npc in the daedric shrines, most final fights in each faction, and a bunch more. In a lot of cases it's less making them just harder and more giving them unique and weird spells or enchanted items to make fighting them less monotonous. For example, Molag Bal cultists use combined paralysis+dot spells or paralyze+short duration summons; Mehrunes Dagon cultists use rainbow damage; Malacath orcs have damage attribute curses, etc.

quote:

The non-summoned Dremora will now summon help of their own; lesser Dremora calling on Clannfear, Dremora Lords calling in their own Dremora lackey!

oh so it's YOU i have to blame for every dremora fight turning into twice as many

it's actually one of the few things i fear so i am grateful for that change making the game challenging

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I dunno if Stuporstar is still around but Uvirith's Legacy is AMAZING thank you so much it is a ton of fun (even if i got stuck in a prison cell in the vaults that I didn't know the passcode to get out of, nor could I even COC out of, so I had to reload)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

OK you need to tell us what happened when you tried to COC

it did a teleport anim and put me back in the same cell, same as trying a recall out

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I took a recording of going back in and doing the same thing again with COC leaving me stuck in the cell: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/902366341409931325/929193619775164416/Openmw_0.47.0_Final_2022.01.07_-_20.50.21.01-1.m4v

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vavrek posted:

Oh, that room. I thought it might be that room, but then figured you meant one of the prison cells.

If you try to get out (and inevitably fail) something like three or four times in a row, eventually someone notices and shouts instructions at you through the wall.

I wasn't expecting that room to redirect a COC, though. That's impressive.

Since you're familiar with the mod: are there actual sorters for potions or scrolls in the secret lab, or is it just "here's racks and load it all by hand"

e: it was a lot more than four times but yeah eventually the guard captain let me out. nice troll, stuporstar.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 8, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mbt posted:

Autosorts, at least, with vanilla stuff. Mod stuff should be sortable with lua, I dont remember if it got an update for that

Where do I put the stuff TO sort, then? I don't have much if any mod potions. All I see are individually labelled bottles for the different kinds, no button or chest to interact with to deposit things (in contrast to the alchemy ingredient table).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ikanreed posted:

Has anyone done a mod that just replaces all instances of "corpus" with "COVID" in the game's text?

this is demonstrably incorrect, divayth fyr can give you durable corprus immunity but COVID vaccines are temporary

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
it's finally time to assault the dren plantation, break the camonna tong, and free all the slaves, 60+ hours into the game at level 103

also can all these dreamers shut up in towns i don't care about you i'm busy being queen bitch of the telvanni and doing poo poo like absorbing the entire mage's guild into my house after i loot a daedric realm

also other important things like finally getting into the cookie jar in my tower by sending my cook on a date and then i have to make the superbitch of a lich's resurrected wife gently caress off (no one else in the house would let me pawn her off on them, drat their common sense!)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm starting to think about my next Morrowind character, which I know will be a conjuration focused mage; someone a bit amoral, a little self centered, etc.

I wanted to ask about factions, though. Obviously the mage's guild and house Telvanni are the "wizard factions", but do they go well together on the same character? I've never played either much and I'm fine with choosing one but not the other if becoming the head of both at once would be a little jarring.

Maybe a mage's guild who also rises through House Hlaluu because greed is good?

Or maybe house Telvanni and also Dunmer temple?

I'm thinking of one of those two combinations, But what do y'all think?

Edit: self centered amorality might not suit the temple but otoh I I want to get far away from Balmora so I'm leaning Telvanni now.

It’s generally fine to be head of both. The archmage of the mage’s guild wants the telvanni dead but he only gives you that quest as basically an attempt for you to get yourself killed (and it’s not something you need to do or that the mage’s guild quests expect you to do). House Telvanni doesn’t super care. If you do the Telvanni mod package (Uvirith’s Legacy+Rise of House Telvanni) there’s actually some quests that expect you to be head of both.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
this conversation is making me want to do TR, maybe i'll see how it is after I do all the rest of the vanilla content+expansions like i haven't done already

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mbt posted:

Just beat the game and have invincibility armor and a sword of elf murder +9, let's check out this new land balanced like the old one

that's the thing, i'm really just interested in seeing how it fits in with the mods and quests I already have going on with the house telvanni stuff and all that

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mbt posted:

The telvanni specific stuff is 15 years old and slated to be redone some day. dont be surprised if it's not nearly as fun as the other mods

It doesn't even really have an ending, the plans for it are cool but their implementation is really confusing. This was back when they refused to touch vanilla and had a separate faction for Mainland Telvanni

Okay, sounds like I should leave it for my next playthrough of Morrowind in 15 hours thanks.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
general question: are there any quests people find particularly fun or interesting in base Morrowind that are NOT either the main quest or a faction quest (if it's one of those two I have done it or am going to do it), I'm closing in on finishing the main game and I'd rather not go through literally every list of quests in each settlement or each area on UESP to find the ones that are really worth playing. Also not concerned about gaining power stuff because I have absurd stats in everything and great gear.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
It turns out there's a limit to how many ingredients you can put in the alchemy desk in Uvirith's Legacy and it's somewhere around 20,000 eyeballing my inventory. TIME TO FLOOD MORROWIND WITH AMAZING POTIONS OF poo poo NO ONE WOULD EVER WANT like 440 seconds of restore 900 luck

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arivia posted:

It turns out there's a limit to how many ingredients you can put in the alchemy desk in Uvirith's Legacy and it's somewhere around 20,000 eyeballing my inventory. TIME TO FLOOD MORROWIND WITH AMAZING POTIONS OF poo poo NO ONE WOULD EVER WANT like 440 seconds of restore 900 luck

turned this into 2 million gold, which is now in a house hlaalu bank account. i'm likely never gonna need it again unless there's one hell of a gold sink somewhere, so let's see how much interest it can accrue while i finish the game.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rahu posted:

It is a weight limit, not a item count limit. Get rid of your hundreds of scrap metal that you will never use and you should be great.

you say that but i only had 50 scrap metal and north of 1000 saltrice and wickwheat. i had a couple fuckin granaries jammed in there of stuff.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

doesn't 50 scrap metal weigh the same as 1000 saltrice

if you want to be real nitpicky here's what i pulled out in two screenshots (not all of my alchemy ingredients are recognized by the desk, probably stuff from Wares or TR)

i used up everything except what i generally get asked for by quests: daedra parts, precious gems, scrap metal, raw ore, dusts and salts.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rahu posted:

It is a weight limit, not a item count limit. Get rid of your hundreds of scrap metal that you will never use and you should be great.

This comment makes a lot more sense after one of the Edwinna Elbert quests in Rise of House Telvanni dumped literally 50 scrap metal in my bags tonight.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

I was standing in the third straight day of slate grey down pour in Whiterun and Danica Pure Spring reminds me that we have Kynnereth to thank for the winds and the rains and I began to wonder if this more like flooding of the Nile thing?

i bless the rains down in starting town

SniperWoreConverse posted:

being in a blight storm has gotta be like having a fever

it's very effective worldbuilding but finding myself in an ash storm in ald'ruhn is a very good way to make me go back inside and take 24h naps until it's over

and i hate/love that i can't see poo poo five feet in front of my face inside the ghostfence

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Mamaea is loving creepy. It's one giant hollowed out spinal column, and it's just full of Sixth House monsters including the only Dagoth outside of the Ghostfence. It's got a pool so deep swimming to the bottom makes the game bug out, and it's mostly empty of any features except for a bone fang weapon (the Fang of Hletters) and one poor fucker who got trapped there and is probably gonna be converted into a dreamer. Morrowind is good at creating scary but honestly that might freak me out the most.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
finished the main game except for a small handful of quests and leftovers, onto mournhold to see if i can keep my interest going before adhd tells me to go play a different game

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The nerevarine should grow a third eye when they get Moon-And-Star.

Also I’m in Mournhold now, pretty much wrapped up the base game.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

I used the Morrowind++ guide, linked in the OP, and am very happy with it. Though it took two evenings to finish setting it up. And i started paring down on some of its suggested mods over the course of several hours of playing, as I found some changes I didn’t enjoy. So maybe ten fewer mods and twenty new mods NOT on the list later, I think it’s in just about the perfect spot, for me

I also was just thinking about getting a mod that adds inconsequential NPCs to towns. I’ve been using Starfire's npc Additions - Danae's Edits and Fixes and it’s pretty decent, though I wish it were slightly more modular, as I really just wanted NPCs walking around in the daytime, none of the other stuff like traders and fences and pilgrims and vampires. I looked at Friends & Foes and it seems to be even more messy so I haven’t tried touching it yet

I liked Friends and Foes’ general NPC additions, they largely fit in very well and are fun (although their grammar can be a bit off.) It’s cool seeing mages recall into towns and go around doing their business or being attacked by random bandits (if you don’t like the added aggressive/enemy NPCs, you can turn them off or adjust them by talking to any town guard anywhere).

The companions it adds are loving horrible though, don’t use that part at ALL.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

That does sound pretty good, kinda wish the options were in an MWSE menu and not in actual gameplay

They might be if you’re using MWSE and that was how they were presented to me in OpenMW.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gobblecoque posted:

In all my years I've never heard of anyone installing mods in this manner haha. Are you using Mod Organizer? If not, get that.

this is how you did it prior to wrye bash and all the tools that have followed. mod organizer has limited support for morrowind and none for openmw (there's a script to tie the two together but it has some issues). so yeah, being familiar with modifying your openmw.cfg by hand is important right now.

@kaubocks: what mod? is it explicitly listed as openmw compatible? openmw does some different stuff with ui icons that might be causing trouble. or do you mean inventory icons? i still have my openmw install, so i can easily try out whatever you're doing.

Proletarian Mango posted:

If I'm understanding your post right, you extracted the mod into Data Files like "\Morrowind\Data Files\ModName\x.esp, textures, meshes, icons"?

Because it should all be extracted into the Data Files folder itself, not into a separate mod folder located within. "\Morrowind\Data Files\x.esp, textures, meshes, icons".

this is incorrect and bad advice for openmw, it would be important if using the original morrowind.

e: the other thing that comes to mind is checking you rebuilt your delta patch after adding in this new mod, since something could be loving up the icons there. (this is the openmw equivalent of a mashed/bashed/smashed patch)

Arivia fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Proletarian Mango posted:

https://openmw.readthedocs.io/en/latest/reference/modding/mod-install.html#install

Huh, I figured the Morrowind recreation would've handled installing mods the same way as Morrowind. Or at least offered this info within OpenMW itself instead of burying it in a wiki that, as far as I can see, isn't even linked within the program. Now that I'm really looking there's not even a "Help" or "About" menu anywhere.

it CAN support them the same way morrowind does but it's trying to do better, is basically the way of it. hence calling that best practices.