Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
Open mw is by far the least janky Bethesda game ever made given the fact it was made by people that actually know how to program (not Bethesda)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
Has anyone tried tes3mp recently? Does a server still need custom scripts to sync scripted quests like the stronghold or the firemoth boat, or is that handled out of the box now?

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
Yeah TR is absurdly good how it adds like another game's worth+ of content for free.

I finally got a chance to host and play the first session of a tes3mp game with friends, and it's super seamless how well it works now. The devs even have a docker image so hosting it on linux was a breeze. We ran through the puzzlebox dwemer ruin and had no connection or desync issues at all. From what I read it seems like they've even got the scripted quests working properly now as well like the house strongholds etc. The only hacky thing that I had to do before we got going was install a custom script for refreshing vendor gold because that's not implemented.

I loaded up our mod pack with TR as well so we have so much to play with if we stick with it

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
I found TR's page for recommended mods very helpful: https://www.tamriel-rebuilt.org/recommended-mods

I just run most of those - basically vanilla expanded on openmw with distant land and grass is all I need.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014

Drone posted:

I have a problem with TR: every time I get in the Morrowind mood and want to finally dive into TR, they post an update on the next upcoming expansion that's still probably months away, and it makes me want to not sink time into the current version (which will, someday, become the old version!).

I realize this is a stupid problem.

tr releases expansions as feature complete chunks of the map, new content doesn't obsolete old content, unless we're taking about redoing 2006 era releases

Like you can just patch your game in place when the new release drops and keep playing your save :shrug:

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
I disagree, I think tr content level-wise is proportioned along the same ratio as the base game. But at this point there's probably more content in TR than in vanilla and of higher quality to boot. Generally the higher level areas are further away from the island, it even has its own seyda neen counterpart directly across the channel.

If anyone hasn't seen this map, it gives you an idea of how much there is to do:

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014

Jack B Nimble posted:

Regarding that Morrowind multiplayer mod, is there any sort of add-on mod that changes the game to account for multiple players? Like increasing enemy hp and damage? Or maybe even increasing the spawns? Regular Morrowind would be a curb stomp with two players and an absolute bore at three, so something needs to change if I ever realize my dream of forcing my favorite game down my friends throats.

https://github.com/Boyos999/AdditionalSpawnSystem/tree/main

You will probably want to change the config to not duplicate cliff racers

Also since respawns do not work in mp you will need a gold restock script for merchants

https://github.com/Nkfree/-TES3MP-Miscellaneous/tree/main

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
tes3mp treats all players as the same party, as in each player counts as "the player" and journals are shared. What one has done all have done. So in regular gameplay you cannot join multiple houses. Maybe you can do it with console commands but then quests will have you killing your own house members and get you expelled. So to answer your question: nothing interesting

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
yeah it can catch you out if you're used to playing vanilla a lot and intervention out of sheogorad now puts you in firewatch (really cool town would recommend visit their college)

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
One of my favorite skills in this game is marksman, especially since you level it up just walking through the wilderness blapping anything that moves

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I wait for the day I can play skyrim in a morrowind dream sequence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUnsT7ectSI

on the topic of fragile software, I switched to openmw and never looked back because I don't have the patience in tyool 2024 for bethesda's house-of-cards programming style. I'm ok with missing out on a few mods and have a game that literally never crashes

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
I exclusively play openmw and I have absolutely no idea what you guys are taking about :v: I guess maybe I never bothered to learn or use their workflow properly? I've never been into scripty mods anyway so whatever I tend to pull off the nexus or whatever I dump into my data folder, check box the esp in the launcher and it just works? :shrug:

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
They went for a middle ground approach in that they are implementing Lua scripting, but mwse Lua relies on hooks that openmw does not use, and from a dev perspective I kinda get it because they have access to the engine to make it properly whereas mwse had to injection hack a finished game

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
Just quickly looking over their docs https://openmw.readthedocs.io/en/latest/reference/lua-scripting/overview.html vs https://mwse.github.io/MWSE/guides/introduction/ at first glance it looks like a major divergence is that openmw sandboxes every script whereas mwse is entirely unsandboxed (which perfectly lines up with the whole ethos of each project imo)

They also go on about how they've kept the architecture multiplayer compatible with regard to synch, object authority and data ownership between clients. MWSE is strictly singleplayer and doesn't need to worry about any of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014

SettingSun posted:

I would consider modding if there is one that allows me to squeeze by npcs who stubbornly stand in narrow halls and prevent me from getting around them

this is basic functionality in openmw, they will step out of your way automatically