Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

axeil posted:

I have turned off auto-updates and will not be updating to 57+ until it is Not poo poo and SALR works with it.
switch to ESR at least dummy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

middle mouse button scroll
WORKSFORME

edit: I forgot themes existed, I added a grey theme and tab bar is much better

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 14, 2017

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

If you don't like how tabs flash on load completion, here's some chrome
code:
.tab-loading-burst[bursting]::before {
    animation: none !important;
}

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Klyith posted:

Under that definition google and facebook are also spyware.

So if you're like blocking those with noscript and hosts entries as well, fine you also probably don't want to use stylish. That's your call. But telling people that stylish is malware, or somehow worse than everything else on the internet, is false.
google knowing what sites you visit when you use their search engine is a lot different than a website theming extension knowing every single site you visit

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

the only SALR thing I really want is its dropdown menu for favorite forums
I hate bookmarks

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Extensions in Firefox 59

quote:

Tab hiding is back! Since the deprecation of the legacy extension architecture, one of the most requested features has been the ability to hide tabs with the WebExtensions API. It was a key element of some very popular legacy add-ons that provided the ability to manage tab groups. Firefox 59 brings this capability back in an initial, experimental form.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

There's legitimate reasons for the overall idea of "provide filters to the browser, let it handle blocking". The Chrome proposal doesn't just do that, though, because Adblock Plus style filters are worse than uBlock AFAIK and 30,000 filters is far too few (and this is already known, because Apple did 50k and that's not enough)

I don't think a Firefox dev saying "declarative blocking is better for security and performance" means we're going to end up with Firefox doing what Google seems to be doing.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

FRINGE posted:

And guess who will follow their masters?
Mozilla wanting Google to collaborate with them on the development of the web extension API makes total sense because they both use it and there's no standard. Saying "we want you to work on this with us instead of by yourself" is not Mozilla saying "we want to do literally everything you do".

The Mozilla guy saying it has privacy benefits is correct (due to how new adblockers would work) but he points out that the filter limit is too low and also he isn't on the team working on addons. It's just some random Mozilla guy. There is no reason to believe Mozilla is going to try and kill all good adblockers.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Wheany posted:

Yes, and Google's DRM, Widevine, has been broken.
Widevine L3 is broken, not L1. L3 only gets you 480p.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Im_Special posted:

Welcome to "cloud computing". Today it's your web browser, tomorrow, they'll disable your whole computer for some similar arbitrary BS reason. Don't say we didn't warn you!
Code signing isn't cloud computing

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

quote:

12:50 p.m. UTC / 03:50 a.m. PDT: We rolled-out a fix for release, beta and nightly users on Desktop. The fix will be automatically applied in the background within the next few hours, you don’t need to take active steps.

In order to be able to provide this fix on short notice, we are using the Studies system. You can check if you have studies enabled by going to Firefox Preferences -> Privacy & Security -> Allow Firefox to install and run studies.

You can disable studies again after your add-ons have been re-enabled.

We are working on a general fix that doesn’t need to rely on this and will keep you updated.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

Is it just me or does adblock not work nearly as well as it did say a few years ago? Lots of news websites are now filled with ads that ABP doesn't block or detect. Is there any alternative?
adblock plus doesn't block ads if they get paid not to

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

My wild guess would be an issue with graphics drivers or some weird about:config setting related to rendering

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

GNU IceCat was only 'renamed' if you take into account its original release in the Firefox 1.5 days, before it got renamed because Debian already had a Firefox debranding named Iceweasel. Debian just uses Firefox nowadays. IceCat isn't out of date (it's on 78.13, which is brand new) but it doesn't appear to have any binaries being built for whatever reason.

Not that I'd use it, since it's an entirely-ideological free software version and ESR switches to 91 in like a month.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

there's a new version of firefox out, and you know what that means: more dumb poo poo to disable

Settings > Privacy & Security > scroll down to Address Bar > turn off "Include occasional sponsored suggestions"

I mean I guess you can try looking at the ads first if you want.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Im_Special posted:

I think you mean "Search", but anyway mine was already unchecked. /shrug

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

why are people committing their firefox profile dirs to github
edit: oh it's linux users committing their home directory. lol

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Mozilla turned off HTTP3 on the telemetry servers, so disabling telemetry but keeping HTTP3 enabled will not prevent this bug

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Knormal posted:

Here's their official bug tracker for last night's issue, where it seems like they really don't have any idea what happened either.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1749908
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1749957

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

libredirect can't change twitter embeds on SA to nitter, it just breaks them unfortunately
I don't know of anything that can do that part

works fine for links and such though

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

maybe about:addons themes section

i think you failed the dodge

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

does the server you're downloading from support resuming?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

It's surprisingly common not to support it, but that server does support resuming downloads, and I'm pretty sure Firefox does too, so :shrug:
I'd try getting a copy of wget and running it with --continue, or any other download manager type thing, or a torrent

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

MikusR posted:

A note on curl on Windows. Windows 10 and 11 bundle curl, but you have to use the full curl.exe name to use it. Just curl is an alias to powershell command.
Windows bundles a real curl since ~2018
code:
> curl --version
curl 7.83.1 (Windows) libcurl/7.83.1 Schannel
Release-Date: 2022-05-13
Protocols: dict file ftp ftps http https imap imaps pop3 pop3s smtp smtps telnet tftp
Features: AsynchDNS HSTS IPv6 Kerberos Largefile NTLM SPNEGO SSL SSPI UnixSockets
> (Get-Command curl).path
c:\windows\system32\curl.exe
It was pretty out of date for a while, though seems they updated it
I think Windows provided "wget" as a non-compatible powershell command though it appears gone on my system

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Im_Special posted:

Yeah, to the second part, it was caused by one my addons, the one called "LocalCDN", and it seemed to be this HTML filtering check that did it.

So if you happen to use this addon, come tomorrow's update (or whenever you choose to update, slacker!), you're probably in for a bad time. But heads up anyway.

It's not the 108->109 update, I encountered this on 108.

What's happening is that LocalCDN is trying to use upgraded versions of the libraries (you can see that in your screenshot), but SA specifies the expected hashes:

(this might be a recent change to SA's code?)

So when the extension gives the browser a different file, the browser detects it's wrong and says "gently caress off":

I just disabled LocalCDN to on SA to fix this. "Filter HTML Source Code" makes LocalCDN strip hashes.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

GPU sandboxing has been enabled on Windows for 110 beta. What does that mean?
AIUI it should be much harder for a bug in your graphics driver to lead to a website being able to take over your entire computer.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

twitch switched to cutting ads into the main video stream a while back, making DNS blocks impossible. afaik youtube still uses separate ad servers

twitch also added aggressive adblocker detection to deal with the fancier scripts that could determine when there was an ad by inspecting the video manifest
the secret to twitch is to load the m3u8 on usher.ttvnw.net from a proxy that's in a country where twitch doesn't serve ads

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

yeah uMatrix has had 0 development on it for years

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

JDownloader itself is legitimate so I don't see why its extension wouldn't be

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/website-translation
Offline translation support is out. Very limited selection of languages.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

https://www.reddit.com/r/uBlockOrigin/comments/173jmog/youtube_antiadblock_and_ads_october_09_2023/
YouTube appears to be updating its anti-adblock script a lot, so probably, yes
Seems you only need to update the Quick Fixes filter list, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

https://github.com/uBlockOrigin/uBOL-home/wiki/Frequently-asked-questions-(FAQ)#filtering-capabilities-which-cant-be-ported-to-mv3
give it a month or so after MV2 gets disabled and i'm sure some adtech company will find something in here that makes their ads impossible/extremely inconvenient to block