Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah, I'm fairly certain the Fix Videos script is one I posted originally. If I remember rightly I put it together from random googling when I got sick of videos autoplaying. Or something.

For what its worth you can not bother with the whole adding CSS bit by re-writing my section and adding two lines to style all the video tags individually. Is this more inefficient? Maybe. Is it less code. Definitely.

JavaScript code:
const fixVideos = setTimeout(function(){
  var videos = document.getElementsByTagName('video');
  for(var i = 0; i < videos.length; i++){
    videos[i].removeAttribute('loop');
    videos[i].controls = true;
    videos[i].pause();
    videos[i].currentTime = 0;
    videos[i].volume = 0.2;
    videos[i].muted = false;
    videos[i].style.maxWidth = '100%';
    videos[i].style.maxHeight = '750px';
  }
}, 500);
When you say the combined script doesn't have every functionality, what is it missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Ah, I use NoScript so a lot of stuff doesn't work for me that does for others, so half the time I have no idea what people are on about. I did have a script at one point for re-writing Imgur GIFV links to MP4 as they seemed to work better, just tweaked it to embed WEBMs if it isn't embedding them by default. Again, my setup is weird and I have no idea if this is needed. But I guess the code is here people need it for something. Assuming it works, I haven't tested it.

JavaScript code:
var webmLinks = document.evaluate("//a[contains(@href, '.webm' )]", document, null, XPathResult.UNORDERED_NODE_SNAPSHOT_TYPE, null);
for(var i = 0; i < webmLinks.snapshotLength; i++){
  video = document.createElement('video');
  video.src = webmLinks.snapshotItem(i).href;
  video.style.maxWidth = '480px';
  video.style.maxHeight = '480px';
  webmLinks.snapshotItem(i).parentNode.insertBefore(video, webmLinks.snapshotItem(i).nextSibling);
  br = document.createElement('br');
  webmLinks.snapshotItem(i).parentNode.insertBefore(br, webmLinks.snapshotItem(i).nextSibling);
}

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Wheany posted:

I want to code golf the scripts posted on this page so bad...

Well, code golf and bikeshed

Feel free, I'm a 100% self taught google coder. I'd be interested to see what someone who actually knows how to code can do with my video pausing script, if anything

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I'm looking at that code and I have no idea what half of it does, JS has changed so much since I learnt the basics nearly 20 years ago. I'll ask this because google is no help here at all, what's with the 3 periods on document (...document)?

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Thanks for the explanation. I could work out what it was doing but had no idea how it was doing it.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Maigius posted:

I'm on a new profile in Window 11 and really want thick, permanent scrollbars back. What settings to I need to change to get those back?

From a bit of messing about in about :config it looks like setting layout.testing.overlay-scrollbars.always-visible to true, makes scrollbars always visible. Can't see anything obvious for the size, I feel like that's going to be a userChrome.css thing and I can't find any examples.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I still to this day hate the revamped version of Firefox Android. At this point I don't even remember all the things it used to do other than the lack of extensions. That and when you click on the address bar and click one of your frequently visited sites it opens a new tab rather than using the current one so I end up with loads of tabs for no reason and have to keep closing them. I don't understand why they made it do this and I don't understand why they can't fix it. I don't suppose anyone knows if there's a workaround/fix/addon for this?

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
To allow the use of a PiHole would be one.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
This has got me utterly stumped.

Twitter no longer loads for me, at all. It gets stuck in a redirect loop of constantly redirecting to the login page. I think I've narrowed down the issue and I flat out don't understand it. If I look at the requests in the devtools I see that it sends a 302 to the login page and a set-cookie header. But Firefox never sets that cookie. Even if I manually add the cookie, when I try again it never sends it.

Anyone have any idea why Firefox wouldn't send cookies for only one website?

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah I assumed it was a twitter issue for the last few days, but Firefox isn't sending cookies even if I set them manually, that's weird and definitely a Firefox issue.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
No dice. I've cleared cookies and cache, I've checked that its cleared in the bit where you can search for sites. Restarting doesn't help. I tried safe mode and it still happens so its not an addon issue, I tried it with a fresh profile and it loads, so I assume its a setting somewhere. But what setting? I'd rather not have to totally rebuild my profile just for Twitter.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
So I fixed it. At some point, somehow, the site permissions for twitter.com had changed to block the use of cookies. I didn't even know that was a thing, so I've no idea how that happened.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
They're probably weird like me and have it to always show.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I use YouTube Redux, no idea if it'll help you. I'm utterly sick of having to install things to make the YouTube website work on something other than a phone held portrait.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

god please help me posted:

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a Youtube video playback problem. Youtube videos keeps flipping out when I switch between other programs, or resize the window or popout window I'm viewing the youtube video in. If the video is popped out, it will also get closed by itself and return to the youtube tab. Has anyone else been having issues like this? This is a brand new Windows 11 PC btw. I was wondering if there was a Firefox update lately that's been causing this, because my older Windows 10 PC didn't have any problem with running multiple programs at all.

Use Linux.

That's a semi-serious answer.

A more serious one would be, are your graphics drivers updated? Do videos on other sites do the same thing?

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
The fact that its just YouTube is weird, I wonder if its something to do with the CODECs in use. Have you tried enabling/disabling hardware acceleration?

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

god please help me posted:

I have now tried disabling hardware accelerating from the default enabled. Upon experimentation, it was not hard at all to force Youtube into a freezing and crashing by mildly twice resizing the window from a small size into a full screen size. Darn.

I do indeed have Ublock! Upon testing Firefox's troubleshooting mode which disables all extensions/add-ons, youtube video playback works fine. If ublock origin is the issue, this will suck because ublock is very useful for keeping Youtube usable. How strange of an issue for ublock to start having all of a sudden...

Other random question,uBlock, or uBlock Origin? No idea if it would make a difference but uBlock Origin is the preferred one AFAIK.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

101 posted:

If you do decide to just go nuclear, I use this to purge my YouTube of shorts

Yeah I've been using this, I'm not a fan of videos that are only a few minutes long, there's no way on earth I'm watching 30 second videos.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
They said they had previously. I think they also said they're expecting a firmware/driver update soon that may fix the issue.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Having to switch tabs. I agree I prefer the old option, but I used it so rarely I just put up with the newer dumber option. Which I sometimes forget the name of and have to spend longer looking for it.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Mozilla are morons.

That's it.

Also something about them wanting to change the code or something. I don't know or care really, they utterly dropped the ball and broke the thing.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Apparently desktop extensions are finally coming to Android.

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2023/08/10/prepare-your-firefox-desktop-extension-for-the-upcoming-android-release/

quote:

In the coming months Mozilla will launch support for an open ecosystem of extensions on Firefox for Android on addons.mozilla.org (AMO). We’ll announce a definite launch date in early September, but it’s safe to expect a roll-out before the year’s end.

I honestly don't believe them.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Good to know! The extension allows you to right click and select the last 10 or so closed tabs, so it still has use.

History > Recently closed tabs has more than 10 in it and its already part of Firefox.

Bertha the Toaster fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Aug 11, 2023

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I honestly don't know if the stupid tab system can be fixed, we'll all just have to get used to having the same page open in 57 tabs.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I wonder if an extension could be implemented that basically mimics the home tab but does it properly. It boggles the mind that they made it work the way it does, it took me one click to realise its dumb.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Didn't it used to be a settings option to stop sites messing with right click? I just looked and can't find it. Odd thing to remove if they have.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
It used to be an actual option the settings though, really wish they didn't keep dumbing Firefox down.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Like about:profiles ?

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Are the embeds for x.com rather than twitter.com? If so, its not you, its the code for embeds only working with twitter.com links.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
And if yt-dlp doesn't like the link, sometimes The Stream Detector can help.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I guess its for video streams like webcams or remote desktops.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Tried uBlock Origin?

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I do wonder at what point they'll give up on forcing that, are they just going to force people to use Chrome and then make Chrome use some DRM bollocks that forces the adverts to run?

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
The throttling with yt-dlp is usually because YouTube changed the JS and they need to update their thing to parse it and get a needed token to unlocks full speed.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah, I finally got it too. What I find interesting is that I use ReVanced on my phone and the Kodi YouTube player and neither of those have an issue and I assume never will, so hopefully in the long run this won't really make much of a difference to me.

Well, until Google go full on evil and force the use of Chrome or something.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Computer viking posted:

Which part of it?

e: Looking at it vs Chrome now, they seem near identical? The tab button gives you a thumbnail grid and a + button, and the start page for a new tab shows you different groups of things you may want to visit.

I've said it before but I hate how they've made it so that if you press the address bar and then click one of the favourites or frequently used sites it opens a new tab rather than using the current tab, so you end up with a million tabs unless you go back and close them all. The fact that doing the same thing but typing in an address, even one that's saved doesn't do the same thing is just confusing.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

101 posted:

I'm out right now so I can't find it but I'm pretty sure there's an about :config for that

Not on Android there isn't, the homepage isn't a real page or something, people have been complaining about it since they released it.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Give it time, YouTube keeps changing their script almost as often as the uBlock people are updating their filters. Eventually you'll be on YouTube inbetween an update from YouTube and uBlock and get the blocking message again.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Atopian posted:

It's this.

And yes, it can be fixed by going back every so often to manually delete all the extra tabs, but in tyool 2023 why should I have to do that?

I don't know when this changed, but I think they "fixed" it in a moronic way. If the site you click on from the homepage is already open, it switches to that tab. Sounds good right? It would b if it reloaded the page, but it doesn't. So you end up back on the tab you were on hours ago in the state it was hours ago forcing you to have to reload it.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Yeah, it started yesterday I think. It's a stupid never ending arms race. I just hope whoever at Google gets bored soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
What version are you on? I'm on stable@2023.10.13. I find these days you have to update it fairly often as YouTube is changing so much to stop people using it.