Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
What are some good add-ons for the mobile app? uBlock apparently works, which is great, but otherwise I'm drawing a blank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Nintendo Kid posted:

I really don't see the basis that Edge should be any more vulnerable, especially considering its whole gimmick involves dropping substantial legacy support.

My main concern would be that, because it's on every Windows 10 device, it's a large target. Even if it's more secure than the competition, that's offset by more people digging for exploits.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Heads up, NoScript users:

quote:

Security researcher Linus Särud has uncovered a security vulnerability in the popular NoScript browser extension that could allow an attacker to run arbitrary JavaScript in a victim's browser. An exploit of this vulnerability could expose private data or lead users to download malicious software.

The attack works because NoScript has a limited whitelist of trusted domains, allowing the host browser to load commonly-used tools from certain content delivery networks like googleapis.com. This feature tries to preserve websites' functionality while simultaneously blocking any potentially malicious code.

Because the extension will implicitly trust any subdomain whose parent domain is present in the whitelist, Särud found that NoScript will trust the storage.googleapis.com subdomain, which hosts Google's Cloud Storage service. He uploaded a small test script there, which cleanly got past NoScript.

Särud built upon the work of Matthew Bryant, another security researcher, who found that the whitelist itself was stale—it contained the unused domain vjs.zendcdn.net. Bryant registered zendcdn.net for a mere $10.69, and put up a proof-of-concept script that NoScript dutifully let through.

Both Särud and Bryant contacted NoScript's author about these issues. An updated version of the extension that closes the loopholes noted above is now available, so NoScript users should update immediately.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Im_Special posted:

That's a few days old now and it was fixed in only a few hours.

Yeah, the article I posted mentions the fix. My intent was to remind people to make sure they're up to date.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I remember reading about some study/studies on the effect of document width on reading speeds, which found the optional width is well below the width of a widescreen monitor. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Online supplementary content for textbooks frequently requires some combination of Flash, Java, and, for some reason, Shockwave. I imagine they'll refuse to change their ways as long as possible.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is this why uBlock Origin gives me a warning page whenever I click on a SourceForge link?

I was wondering about that too.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

~Coxy posted:

Pretty hilarious how Messenger didn't even work in FF until very recently.

Do you mean an add-on or something? Because I've been using it on the site in Firefox for years without problems.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

~Coxy posted:

Not sure what to say. It never used to work for me in FF until one day FF had updated and it did from then on.

Huh, weird. Conflict with one of your add-ons, maybe?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Xander77 posted:

2. Multilinks (right click and drag to open a bunch of tabs at once). Causes firefox to run very slow, and hang up whenever I right click. Tried to uninstall and install multilinks plus - exact same thing. Any add-ons that work?

FireGestures has this feature. The default gesture is right, then up to open all highlighted links.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I got a weird issue: I'm running the latest Firefox and when I try to make a status update on Facebook, the status update window just vanishes and leaves behind the dimmed view. It doesn't replicate on Chrome and seems to be on both my work and home versions of Firefox. Is this a Firefox issue or just Facebook being lovely?

Also, I'm using Ublock Origin but nothing beyond the original lists.

I'm getting the same thing. I think it's a uBlock Origin issue, but I haven't been able to pin down exactly what needs to be whitelisted. Frustratingly, I can't seem to reproduce the problem when the uBlock logger is open.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Am I missing something, or does Mozilla's addons page really not have a way to filter for multiprocess-ready addons?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Sorry, I didn't mean about :addons. I mean addons.mozilla.org. I don't want to bother installing anything that won't be compatible in a few months, and I'm not seeing a way to limit my searches to multiprocess-ready addons.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

FRINGE posted:

"Hey this browser is very chrome like and I was avoiding that. Welp, I guess Ill just use chrome since it doesnt matter anymore."

A more charitable interpretation: "this browser lost the features I relied on, so now I'm choosing between Chrome and an inferior Chrome clone."

I'm not saying I agree, but it makes sense as a motivation, at least.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Saukkis posted:

I currently have Firefox running with a profile dedicated for Something Awful, another for YouTube and few other profiles for other purposes.

To what end?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Is there a good comprehensive comparison of the big-name password managers? I know I've seen a lot of back and forth on the forums about which this or that one being more or less secure/convenient/whatever than the others, but I can't recall the specifics and could use a good side-by-side breakdown.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
If it doesn't have to be done through uBlock, hiding the newbie avatar is an option in SALR.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Abel Wingnut posted:

hmm, looking into this now. would something like this work? i believe this checks all boxes on the page, but there's only one box so that's fine.

code:
(function() {
    'use strict';

var cBoxes=document.getElementsByTagName('input')

for (var i=0; i < cBoxes.length; i++) {

if (cBoxes[i].type=="checkbox") {

cBoxes[i].checked=true

}

}
})();
Without much modification, you could have it look for the ID of that particular checkbox rather than looking for all inputs.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Jewel Repetition posted:

Is there a way to add "search google for this image" to the context menu when you right click an image?

Context Search Origin allows that, among other things.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Geemer posted:

:aaaaa:
I knew about the other stuff but this is really great to know.

Seriously. I can't believe I've been oblivious to such a useful feature for so long. That deserves to be much better-known.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Flipperwaldt posted:

None of it is mentioning whether it will still support addons like Firefox for Android currently does.

"Eventually" is what I'm seeing, so that's a hard pass for me.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Spaseman posted:

This might not be the best place to ask but I've got a text box on a company website at work I have to enter short lines of text into. After each line I have to hit enter then the page reloads and I enter a new line of text. Is there a way I could submit multiple strings of text at once so I don't have to manually paste and enter each line one by one? Sorry if this is poorly conveyed.

It depends on how the page and whatever it communicates with are designed. It might be possible to make a userscript that takes the content of a text area and submits its contents line by line. Are you able to view the source code?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Can't Gmail do toast notifications on its own? What are these notifier extensions adding?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Sab669 posted:

On Desktop, when you active "Reader View", you can set the background / font color choice (light/dark theme)... Is there a way to do this on Mobile, or am I stuck with just the eye-searing light theme? :(

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

astral posted:

I just accidentally discovered this today. Anyone happen to know offhand if there is a keyboard shortcut with the same functionality? I browsed their FAQs but didn't see anything.

Ctrl-leftclick

Edit: I guess that's not much help if you're looking for a purely keyboard option. Disregard!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

gary oldmans diary posted:

Using Javascript to implement CSS always feels wrong.

Isn't that what Stylish/Stylus/whatever is doing under the hood anyway?