Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Check out this nonsense I found at the art supply store.

Please tell me that's supposed to be a display and isn't actually in use. That poor switch :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm just amused that Antarctica is somehow coloured in as drives-on-the-right. How would anyone even know.

McMurdo Station has a few roads so I guess that counts.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Bees on Wheat posted:

We had a hot tub at my old place that heated to around body temps at the best of times and nobody got sick.. how did over 100 people get sick from just walking past one..? :raise:

I'm guessing that since it was just a display they didn't treat the water, but had the tub running and heating right into Legionella's ideal growth range.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

The drawer face is also cracked in half, and they painted it without removing the knob.

Qual-I-tee!

I almost think that they took a regular size drawer front and just hacked the ends off, then glued them together.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Is that a thing that can happen? I would be hard-pressed to think of a situation where a roof leak would just resolve itself, but I’m not a roofer or inspector so I dunno.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

When it's repaired, but the stains from the leak are left alone.

I would hope that an inspector would see evidence of the repair or that the previous owner would have record of a repair occurring, though.

D-LINK posted:

You can have an ice dam situation where water from your gutters freezes and creeps up underneath the edge of your shingles (or whatever roofing material) during a particularly bad Winter storm followed by a prolonged cold snap, and then rarely or almost never have it happen again. Most modern buildings or roofs installed in temperate climates within the last couple of decades will have protection that looks similar to Tyvek run a few feet up the sub-roof under the singles

Gotcha, so it’s not necessarily a failure of the roof, just extraordinary conditions that don’t occur very often.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qp727nFzUj1ti8ffx.mp4

Living here I would end up with no front teeth and one leg shorter than the other

Love that the woman filming falls and says oh poo poo as she gets out of the tub, as if to prove your point.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

8one6 posted:

Barn doors on a closet are fine. Barn doors on a bedroom or bathroom (I've seen both) are horrible.

Whoever started the trend of sliding/barn doors on hotel room bathrooms can rot in hell forever IMO

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Mods

Mods please

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

lmao at the load-bearing doghouse

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

I am glad that they posted 6 photos of a dude fishing instead of more of the house

Also if those are recent photos, that’s the creek with the snowmelt at or near it’s highest and we’re in a drought that we’ll probably never escape, so I wouldn’t be too concerned. Of course, with all of the wildfires the risk of flash floods from the few major storms does increase…

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

That’s fair, but it’s still really funny that the guy decided that he should get a photo shoot with him and his dog on the creek while the photographer was there and that they made it into the listing. Trying to sell the lifestyle I guess.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

BonerGhost posted:

Why did I get a warning from imgur that this was erotic imagery? This is the least erotic thing I can imagine.

Least erotic for you maybe :heysexy:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

That they still managed to get paint all over the face plates is :discourse:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Splode posted:

Tbh I am always shocked by how flimsy American houses seem.

In particular when there's the aftermath of a gas main explosion and there's just nothing left of the house but match sticks.

Where are the bricks??
Is it a climate thing? Or is it just a cheap thing?

Here is a decent-ish explanation of why US homes are built the way they are, but the TL;DW of it is that the post-war boom meant a lot of people wanted housing very quickly and it was a cheap and easy way of building out entire subdivisions in record time. Pick a couple of prints (optional, there are plenty where all the houses are the exact same), throw up a few dozen houses, and sell the American Dream to all of those people flush with cash.

https://youtu.be/wpxLLCdW_Gc

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

That even happens now on a small scale.

It's common in my city for a big lot to get subdivided after the original house gets demolished and then two identical houses take the spot. I'm sure in more extreme cases the replacement houses are replacing a house that itself was part of a tract.

Oh for sure, and it still happens in the suburbs too. The new-build house my dad bought in 2003ish is in a subdivision with maybe 5 or 6 floorplans, with some minor cosmetic variations on the outside. It has to be a lot cheaper than trying to make everything unique.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

That cable management belongs in the toilet anyway

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

After two winters of living in a place with radiator heating, I found out that you can just throw a wool blanket over it and it keeps the room warm without cooking you to death.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

I don’t know what any of the Swedish means so I’m going to assume it says “great hack, very cool” and continue hoping that my radiator blanket doesn’t burn the house down.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Vim Fuego posted:

More from Seattle!

Perkins lane is a snall street that runs along the bottom of the south side of the Magnolia cliffs. It's NW of downtown and right by the sound. There's a few unbuildable lots there because there's unstable cliffs above and the ocean below. A charming place until this happens!

Oh

There used to be two stories

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Read that as IKEA at first

Same

Disappointed that I can’t buy a flat-pack nuclear-powered lamp now.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

In the non-winter months, yes, that's a big draw. Ideally my outhouse door will be on the east facing side, so I'll need windows for ventilation on north and south faces.

If I keep it under 100 sq ft, technically I wouldn't need a permit for it in this county, or any of the ones directly around me.

I’m imagining a 100 sqft outhouse and absolutely losing my mind

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

The real question here is who manufactures a transparent boob light?

Maybe it’s that frosted glass that is transparent if you put tape on it or it gets wet or whatever

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

gvibes posted:

There is an architect I like who is good for one ridiculously over-engineered mechanical feature in every house:
Nice door!

This is one of those things that I think would be fun in like an expensive vacation home, but if it’s like your house-house you’re getting tired of it within a month and it never gets opened again.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Zil posted:

Not mine.

Win95-screensaver-looking installation

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

binge crotching posted:

Had this crappy sink at the hotel I was just at. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it's about 1.5 cm between the water and the sink basin. It was easier to go into the shower to wash my hands instead of using that thing.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves when I run across it at a hotel. You really couldn’t be assed to make sure the sink will work like a sink with the hardware you want before buying 160 of them?

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Looking at this gives me that weird not-quite-balanced feeling I get when I’m on shore after spending a day on a boat

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Look, when you get a good deal on windows you better take full advantage.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

value-brand cereal posted:

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rmu0pxrCLP1wlks8j_720.mp4

From here [url]https://href.li/?https://www.tiktok.com/@swaincontracting/video/7159274023644581166[/url]

Something seems funny about this. I'm not sure though. Maybe a nice shower in this house will help clear my head :)

I don’t know how common it is for a spicy water line to kill you but it seems like the resident may have been lucky

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Kinda a funny post and I'm not really sure where to put it. I was stopped in rush hour traffic earlier today and idly looking outside my car under an overpass I noticed this:

This is here:

This is in Vancouver (Canada) and I can honestly say I've never seen anything that looks like that, stuff is generally kept in pretty good repair and even an aesthetic issue would be patched up somewhat quickly (I've called about a new pothole/small sinkhole on a side road and it was dealt with the next day). I was curious to get the opinion of people in the subforum who may know whether this is something concerning or not. Even if there aren't any structural elements in that footer molding or whatever you'd call it, I would expect water ingress + freezing would be a worry for the integrity of the actual column.

Is this nothing? Just the little decorative footer element failing in some way thats meaningless? Should I bother contacting the city engineers about it? It looks dirty enough that I don't have the opinion this happened overnight or anything like that.

Actually the January 2022 google street view images show that it's been like that for awhile:

Guess it's nothing. Oh well!

The crack in the bridge over the Mississippi on I-40 at the Arkansas-Tennessee border was visible since 2016 and didn’t collapse, so maybe you’ll be similarly lucky!

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Nah it blows. The only thing that helps is getting the plugs with little holes at the end allowing the wires to poke through the end of it, so you don't have to get wires coming out of a round cable to all end at the same plane when laid and cut flat. But even then, compared to punching down on a panel it's just fiddly and stupid, especially when you're actually trying to do it to Cat6 spec where only 1/2" of the wires are exposed and the cable jacket is pushed into the plug properly. Which most people don't do of course, leading to this kind of idiocy:

sardonic lol that that image is from an Instructables on how to terminate Cat6 plugs...

That photo is causing me physical pain

e: also modern routers with things like MU-MIMO alleviate a lot of the issues mentioned with WiFi. If you have the ability and time to wire a house for Ethernet by all means go for it but the flexibility wireless provides is well worth the occasional hiccup imo.

Freaquency fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 24, 2023

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

kid sinister posted:

Decorate your bathroom with Chinet!

https://v.redd.it/upn5da29ekna1

Wow this loving sucks, and will also be falling off the walls the first time someone showers

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Oh it’s in Ellicott City, how structurally sound the stairs are doesn’t matter since it’s just going to get washed away in the next “once in a century” storm that seems to happen with more regularity now.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

When it gets full you just shovel it into the neighbor's outhouse under cover of darkness. It's called a Lower Decker.

Just add an outhouse on top of the old outhouse and keep making GBS threads:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Ya'll getting too fancy with these outhouses. This is really all you need, and it'll even accommodate 2 people.

I prefer mine with a view:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

moist turtleneck posted:

yall got water proof toilet paper or do you use a rag on a stick

You carry the Sears Roebuck catalog with you for yer readin’ and yer wipin’

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Won’t that just start 9 more fires?

No, you just throw the batteries in the ocean and avoid that

It’s a cheap and legal thrill!

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

lol, there’s a thousand percent chance that they replaced that pedestal and didn’t want to grind off the old bolts and put new ones in the ground.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

This is deeply upsetting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

“I’ve done no research on this but I’m going to share a batshit idea with everyone anyway”