Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm so glad this thread is back now that I'm looking at buying my first house.

From just visiting the basement of open houses, I've seen:
  • 2-prong electrical outlets backed up with aluminum wiring
  • Fire damage
  • Water damage
  • A curiously warped wooden staircase next to a sump drain that sticks half a foot out of the ground
  • A concreted-over basement window with the glass still in it
I look forward to many more adventures and also befriending our eventual home inspector. My parents recently figured out how mice keep getting into their basement by finding out that part of the insulation around their basement window was indeed contemporary newspapers.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Blistex posted:

He crawls into the crawlspace, through the insulation, and finds the pipe. . . that was apparently just venting everything into the attic. It literally just ended about three feet from the roof. A trip to the hardware store, an exterior vent, another length of pipe, and some heating and cutting of the shingles and plywood and he had a properly vented exhaust fan.
The home inspector found this very same thing in the house I'm about to move into, but for a bathroom shower instead of an oven vent.

There's a hole in the roof with an exterior vent, but no pipe connecting the two.

Also, combustion air intake vents an inch off the ground inside a fenced-in dog run. :barf:

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 4, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Papercut posted:

This is another good one from work. They must have convinced the architect that floods were really common in the area:

At least the electrician/telco dude will feel important.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah that had to have been some kind of home-based business with a phone bank. I wonder what the phone box looks like when it goes out to the curb.

Why did you ever move into that apartment? Just for the great stories?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I wonder what kind of crappy construction tales houseboat repair types have to deal with.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I love that he dated it so that the next owner would be able to put this particular bit of clusterfuckery into his mental timeline of the house.

That might explain why some of my grandpa's old box wrenches are roughly cut in half.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Zhentar posted:

Cracking the window when it's -10 degrees out is quite effective at controlling bathroom humidity, actually. I've barely used my fan all winter.

My ancient single-pane slider window freezes solid below -20'C and the bathroom fan just vents directly into the attic so I'm afraid to run it. For a bit I was using a desk fan which didn't help the dampness in there... definitely gotta get a gooseneck vent cut this summer before horrible alien death mold kills me.

The home inspector noticed that the bathroom fan wasn't hooked up to anything, but failed to note that there was nothing in the roof to hook up to. The bathroom right next door to it does have a fully functional hood, vent hose, and roof vent though. :confused:

I'm glad we're discussing it in the thread: I'll make myself feel better about the expenditure by going for the highest-CFM bathroom fan I can fit.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 9, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Motronic posted:

You should be able to y-into that vent and use it, unless you think both fans will be going at the same time regularly.

Every bathroom fan I've seen has a flapper that closes when the fan is off (it's just blown open when the fan turns on) so blowing air from one bathroom to the other shouldn't be a concern.

Unfortunately, our municipal code explicitly forbids that. That was the first thing I thought to do, and I have a feeling that's how it was originally set up.

That said, I might as well just move the hose over to it since that's the only bathroom that sees regular use.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

neogeo0823 posted:

All this talk of computers and emergency stops reminds me from a story that I think I remember reading in one of the "A ticket came in..." threads. IIRC, some guy inherited a new workstation at his job. The workstation's computer was a standard affair, except that the tower had a single wire running out of the back of it to a switch that was located into the desk. One side was labeled "magic", and the other side was labeled "more magic". The switch was flipped to magic, so the guy flipped it to more magic, and the monitor flashed and the computer restarted. The guy concluded that it was used as an emergency stop for whenever the boss decided to walk by.

That's actually an old MIT story:

quote:

Some years ago, I (GLS) was snooping around in the cabinets that housed the MIT AI Lab's PDP-10, and noticed a little switch glued to the frame of one cabinet. It was obviously a homebrew job, added by one of the lab's hardware hackers (no one knows who).

You don't touch an unknown switch on a computer without knowing what it does, because you might crash the computer. The switch was labeled in a most unhelpful way. It had two positions, and scrawled in pencil on the metal switch body were the words ‘magic' and ‘more magic'. The switch was in the ‘more magic' position.

I called another hacker over to look at it. He had never seen the switch before either. Closer examination revealed that the switch had only one wire running to it! The other end of the wire did disappear into the maze of wires inside the computer, but it's a basic fact of electricity that a switch can't do anything unless there are two wires connected to it. This switch had a wire connected on one side and no wire on its other side.

It was clear that this switch was someone's idea of a silly joke. Convinced by our reasoning that the switch was inoperative, we flipped it. The computer instantly crashed.

Imagine our utter astonishment. We wrote it off as coincidence, but nevertheless restored the switch to the ‘more magic’ position before reviving the computer.

A year later, I told this story to yet another hacker, David Moon as I recall. He clearly doubted my sanity, or suspected me of a supernatural belief in the power of this switch, or perhaps thought I was fooling him with a bogus saga. To prove it to him, I showed him the very switch, still glued to the cabinet frame with only one wire connected to it, still in the ‘more magic’ position. We scrutinized the switch and its lone connection, and found that the other end of the wire, though connected to the computer wiring, was connected to a ground pin. That clearly made the switch doubly useless: not only was it electrically nonoperative, but it was connected to a place that couldn't affect anything anyway. So we flipped the switch.

The computer promptly crashed.

This time we ran for Richard Greenblatt, a long-time MIT hacker, who was close at hand. He had never noticed the switch before, either. He inspected it, concluded it was useless, got some diagonal cutters and diked it out. We then revived the computer and it has run fine ever since.

We still don't know how the switch crashed the machine. There is a theory that some circuit near the ground pin was marginal, and flipping the switch changed the electrical capacitance enough to upset the circuit as millionth-of-a-second pulses went through it. But we'll never know for sure; all we can really say is that the switch was magic.

I still have that switch in my basement. Maybe I'm silly, but I usually keep it set on ‘more magic’.

1994: Another explanation of this story has since been offered. Note that the switch body was metal. Suppose that the non-connected side of the switch was connected to the switch body (usually the body is connected to a separate earth lug, but there are exceptions). The body is connected to the computer case, which is, presumably, grounded. Now the circuit ground within the machine isn't necessarily at the same potential as the case ground, so flipping the switch connected the circuit ground to the case ground, causing a voltage drop/jump which reset the machine. This was probably discovered by someone who found out the hard way that there was a potential difference between the two, and who then wired in the switch as a joke.

Some other good ones in here: http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/magic-story.html

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Ashcans posted:

At this point he has to be praying that someone will see his story and set fire to the place for him.

I think that's why he has the interlude in the middle where he says the only way to get out of it is to pray for a fire.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I have to think they just got busy and missed that. And then proceeded to try and ignore it for the rest of their life every time they opened and closed the door.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Raised by Hamsters posted:

In doing this exact thing with a door right now, in my living room. It hasn't been a full year yet, so that's cool, right?

Oh dude, if we had a thread for "poo poo you know is wrong in your house that you're loving ignoring" it would be twelve times the length of this thread and six times as scary.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kastein posted:

god dammit :eng99:

what have i done

e: from an article I found on the data breach - the 3000 stolen credit cards for sale from the home depot branch (they're pretty sure there are more, but that's all that has made it out so far) had these billing ZIP codes. If your ZIP is among them, check with your bank and check your statement for suspicious transactions.
http://krebsonsecurity.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/hd_rescator_zips.txt

I like the "Canad" at the end. Ahhh, Americans and your inability to program a system that accepts Canadian postal codes...

"NO YOU HAVE TO PUT A SPACE IN THERE"
"NO SPACES IN THIS ONE"
"I don't recognize that as a valid postal code."

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I've looked at the many individual small toilet parts at Canadian Tire many a time and thought about rebuilding my own 80s basement toilet (which exhibits similar hold to flush behavior). I should try cleaning out the jets first, and then after that start taking it apart.

Wonder if there are conversion kits to get a piston style flusher.

e: rebuild kit is only $25, time to learn a new skill.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 1, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

FISHMANPET posted:

24 hour notice thing scares the crap out of me, but that's just me I guess.

If the stories from my coworkers building new homes are anything to go by, it's not like they'll even bother to hide anything in those 24 hours.

One guy had his basement drain plastered and tiled over. When he complained, they then proceeded to drill test holes into his tile floor until they found the drain. Then they egged out the drain hole and spackled the incorrect guesses.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That's another thing. When I went looking for used houses, I specifically looked for houses built during an oil bust in my area.

My theory was that the builder would be moving more slowly over the house, if for no other reason than that the trades wanted to keep milking their limited work for as long as they could by goldbricking the house.

So far it seems to have turned out. My buddy's house was built by the same builder but a few years newer, and he's had substantial foundation issues as well as other oddities.

As I start to reverse the previous several owners' worth of neglect, sometimes I pull something open and find a bit of seriously overbuilt carpentry.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 18, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Terrible Robot posted:

My buddy who runs a small construction company is constantly having problems with poo poo like this because lazy/drunk/high employees.

Must've done my house. I have gaps you could shove an Italian greyhound through.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

I have a fair amount of IKEA stuff and some of it has been fine. Of course, I own my own power tools and allen wrenches and stuff, and I never try to put together more than one piece of furniture in a weekend.

In my experience IKEA tends to be write-once furniture. It doesn't transport in any way whatsoever, but boy howdy you can put it up and leave it in one part of the house forever.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

cakesmith handyman posted:

Why go to all this effort for so little? If you're going to do this go whole hog, gently caress everything up to the point people get nauseous just looking at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAkw8p5oszI

Really doesn't seem to come out in photos.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 18, 2018

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

It's like a house had a stroke.

What must it be like inside?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kid sinister posted:

Secure storage.

Is that like a temporary wall, like when a hotel splits the penthouse/honeymoon suite into multiple rooms?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Blindeye posted:

In modern construction, yes! But exposed brick is en vogue so you find lots of loft type spaces converted to bars and the original, grandfathered-in brick walls preserved.

The 2010 Christchurch earthquake is a good example to use. One historic neighborhood of the kind of old-style mixed use buildings and rowhouses had many of the brick facades collapse into the street, killing a fuckload of people.

One of my former coworkers came from Brazil and constantly complained about how our homes were built out of drywall and sticks instead of real man materials like bricks. We don't get earthquakes, though.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
My neighbour has a setup just like that. His old hedge got some kind of virus or parasite and had to be culled, and the new hedge is basically growing up from the roots.

Couple years from now, it'll look great.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It has a combination of tastelessness and general disinterest in doing a good job that I've only ever seen in a Japanese love hotel bathroom before.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Did it used to be a chimney for something?

...in a van?

Cover it back up, smear the edges with RTV and put a Thule box over it. :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

Oh, now that's just cruel.

The fun part will be getting *back*.

They're not bad in and of themselves, if you like the style, but why all identical? Not even different colors...

If you have different colours, one colour might not sell as well as the others. Can't take that risk.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Sometimes, things are off the grid for a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Ashcans posted:

I'm going to start calling my house artisan distressed, because that's way cooler than 'a 100 years of deferred maintenance and upkeep'

The Japanese call this wabi-sabi. It reflects the imperfection of life and the inevitable degradation of all manmade things.

That is why I am asking $1.5M for this house where a cat tore up the stair carpet and then pissed on the underlay. It was the house’s karma. Thank you.