Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Tunicate posted:

electricity

Sources include old copiers, those balls that make your hair stand up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

SoundMonkey posted:

if this is code then code is wrong

That pot is too small for that burner.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
That sounds like the bigger badder version of pressing the alarm button in an elevator.

When I was in college everyone in my dorm building was assessed a $1 fine to replace the floor buttons that were stolen from the elevator. What piece of poo poo elevator has buttons you can steal?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Maybe it's an art installation.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

peanut posted:

Hey buddies

That balcony sucked anyway.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
My condo has the outside outlet, and the two bathroom outlets downstream of one of the basement GFCI outlets. The other basement outlet is for the washer and located next to the utility sink but is not GFCI and not downstream of the GFCI outlet.

D34THROW posted:

None of the other exterior outlets are GFCI. I have no idea what tripped this one except maybe if something knocked against the test button? I'm surprised that's not uncommon, it just seems like a weird way to do things.

Of course, in my mother-in-law's old house, the lone GFCI was in the bathroom and tripping that knocked out her bedroom and the living room. :downsgun:

If the outlets are daisy chained, the GFCI can detect fault on the other outlets. It's cheaper than using GFCI outlets for each.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I found the plans for my new place in the master deed for the condo complex on the county assessor's web page.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I used to have a thing about stairs when I was smaller. I still have nightmares about death stairs sometimes. I think it came from a couple things. My aunt lived in an old mansion that had been converted into a group home, and the stairs in there were especially creaky and slanted. The other was a set of metal grate stairs like these:

But suspended like 30 feet over open water.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Platystemon posted:

When they’re not home, cut off the tips of the screws and grind slots into them.

One day when the neighbours are entertaining guests/entertaining the mistress/watching a horror film, take an electric driver and quickly drive all the screws out of your floor.

That sounds like something out of a looney tunes.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

Wasn't brutalist architecture meant to surrender to nature and have green stuff growing on it? Like how they built the statue of liberty with the intentio that it would turn green.

I went to college in a big ol brutalist complex, it was actually quite nice and could be very pretty on sunny days and where there was some vegitation to play against the concrete. And in the understories, stalagtites started to form from dripping water, that was pretty cool.

The City Courthouse in Buffalo:

Story goes that it had green stuff growing on it, but it was causing damage to the building and removed.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

BTW, screw eveyone with a "No shoes" policy and nowhere for me to sit and take my boots off. Inconsiderate.

Yes, some crappy construction to rerail this thread. I want a built in bench in my entry. At least my current place has some stairs to sit on.

An old apartment of mine had white carpet, including in the entry, while the kitchen was 2 feet away and had tile. Just extend the tile you turds! And then they tried to tell us it was against fire code to keep a welcome mat or any shoes outside our door. So once a year we had to bring it all in for inspection day. Also, they threw down blue salt in the winter, managed not to get any of that on the carpet though.

But really, gently caress the white carpet in general.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I'm sure the industrial warehouse lighting gives everything a warm glow.

They have an 8 car garage, but still leave the car out in the carport.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
With infinite money, you can do active noise cancellation for your whole house.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I thought the smoke alarm at the top of my stairs was bad. They took "top of the stairs" literally and centered it over the edge of the top step. One foot back would have been just fine guys.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Ethernet in every room means you can add a WiFi access point in every room.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

The kitchen is a hilarious mix of extremely great modern layout and 50 year old decor that looks immaculate. Its like they just redid it before selling it, but wanted to keep the old drapes and cabinets

How many dish washers does one kitchen need? I assume at least one of them is a trash compactor. I don't think I've ever seen one of those IRL.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I was thinking dedicated ice maker.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

It's all optioned - at least with Bosch you can just change a letter in the model number and get a recessed handle. (That after 5-7 years will snap the flimsy plastic bits that hold it together because rather than a release catch it's just pressure overcoming a spring/detent to open it making the door flex every time you open it. Because superior german adhesives.)

Get out of my house. This is my dish washer.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

https://twitter.com/CursedArchitect/status/1116825822017359877

I know CursedArchitect is cheating but this one just floored me. What the gently caress.

The Sims is looking good.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
It looks like a temporary facade they put up during construction.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

brugroffil posted:

this is near me:

Hey it's the middle school they built in my hometown.

This popped up on my youtube last night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdDKLVZJwd4

I'm the empty "Changing Room"

They sure are into things that take a lot of big strong men to install. And crystal doorknobs. Have you noticed them yet?

The house isn't the worst I've seen, but it's right on top of the neighbors on both sides.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Leocadia posted:

When it happened in Melbourne the manifold pin indexed for N2O in the plant room led to an outlet labelled O2 in the maternity ward. Three infants were hooked up to the wrong gas. When the report came out we decided to audit all our manifolds and outlets - thankfully everything was hooked up correctly, but we discovered that our manifolds pre-date pin indexing, so we upgraded that in a big hurry!

Wikipedia posted:

The Pin Index Safety System, or PISS

Permanent piss valves installed in the hospital

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Disney's really improved on the haunted mansion stretching rooms. The roof doesn't actually go up though, they lower the road..

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I like all the grass clippings on the floor when he does the test sprays in the next video.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Megillah Gorilla posted:

^^^^ Whoah!

And in far less garish, but just as stupid, design decisions:

Looks like one of those fake houses they put up to hide an electrical substation, or ventilation for a tunnel.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The panel is right there in the tree room pic.

I think?

That's at least one panel. I'm sure there are more.

Unless that's just the door from a panel, and there's something else inside.

I like how this door opens into free space. I was thinking, why not have it open the other way so it's even with the floor, but thinking about it more I'm sure it's in the middle of the wall on the other side too.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

I want to see an honest to god homeowners insurance quote on that place. I assume "like kind and quality" repair on it would just be them ordering randomly off the homedepot website and leaving it in a pile.

They would hire that guy who biked by the yuppies' house in Toronto.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
It looks like generic college apartments.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Nenonen posted:

Seems like UK is poised to soon have lots of more content for this thread

https://twitter.com/RobertJenrick/status/1178570511263178752

If you add 2 floors, and then I buy it, can I also add 2 floors?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Azza Bamboo posted:

Ideal for a flood plains surely?

Terrible for the weekly shopping, though. Install a lift!

Proteus Jones posted:

I think the issue is the door that opens to a 10 foot drop.

Obviously that door is for the hoist to bring stuff into the house.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Add a drawbridge and this seems pretty rad.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
THIS
SHELF
IS NOT
A
PLACE
OF
HONOR.
NO
HIGHLY
ESTEEMED
BOOK
IS
SOLD
HERE.
NOTHING
VALUED
IS
HERE.
THE
DANGER
IS
STILL
PRESENT,
IN
YOUR
TIME,
AS IT
WAS IN
OURS.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Youth Decay posted:

This is where they keep the concubines

There's always the secondary rooms that always feel so like clinical, or commercial. Like hastily constructed off-campus student housing. Just needs the drop ceiling tiles.

quote:

MANCAVE gotta show how many animals I've killed because there aren't nearly enough dead animals in the rest of the house

11,000+ sf and it can be yours for $2.6 million

I'm wondering what got content-aware filled at the bottom here. Probably just the photographer, but I'm wondering why they didn't just crop.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Mine blasts the stuff right into the bottom of the cabinet above. I knew it didn't go to the outside, but there's a filter in there that's supposed to do something. I got suspicious when I took out a filter after a few months and it looked brand new. It just kind of bypasses the fitler and fills the rest of the microwave with grease. It's a rental, so I can't really be hosed to take it down and adjust the blower to do it "right".

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I went to Vegas, and to a restaurant in the Venetian hotel next to the indoor canal. They asked if we wanted to sit inside or outside, so we sat outside under the fake sky. I was also massively jetlagged the first day, so I walked over to the shops at Caesar's. I must have been there before the official opening, because at 9am sharp, the music started and the lights changed to make it dusk in this fake "outdoor" street. It was pretty jarring to go from daytime to dusk in an instant.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Hey, scoot over so I can get in the middle seat.
Sure!
Slides over, and swings back just in time to slam square into your nuts.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
It looks like a temporary (will never be taken down) wall put up when the Sears JC Penny latest bankrupt department store closed.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Youth Decay posted:

(from the saddest condo in my city)

Get rid of the overhead cabinet to the right of the stove, and and that weird narrow counter section and it's pretty ok.

The MC Escher bathroom ceiling is more fun:

Guy Axlerod fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 8, 2020

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Yeah, that main sprinkler valve can totally go inside someone's unit.

I think this is my favorite soffit, it just ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I like the lip to encourage tripping.