Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Bad Munki posted:

That video about little beavers was boring.

you make a machine that digs small holes through dirt, want to name it after a mammal and dont immediately go for mole smdh

yes the beaver, well known for its underground tunneling capabilities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

What did they forget to account for thermal expansion (or rather contraction) when they designed the bridge that would be sitting in loving canadian winters? Cause it sure looks like the cables overstressed that joint and lifted the span up.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

:ughh:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

from "horrible mechanical failures" in AI:

it's beautiful

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'm like 90% certain that's an art installation, given the fan seems to have its own spotlight shining on it and only it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kid sinister posted:

I bet Superman's bathroom smells worse than rear end.

nah man his super-farts create a vortex that vent the entire apartment out

alternately kryptonian hair is pure carbon nanotube and burns without scent

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I never realized it was a full stack in that hangar, thought it was just the orbiter.

:(

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Mr. Despair posted:

The Energia stack was just a mock up, at least.

Well that's not so bad, still sucks that we lost a cool space thing to lack of money.

See also: skylab 2 and the two unflown Saturn Vs that were fully built and ready to go. at least those are all still around in museums.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

:stare: So uh... there's steel holding the building up, right?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

In a typical house? Not much.

However, considering the house was wired without a ground, I imagine there may be other issues that would cause high ground current, at least for the thin walls of a steel tube not designed for current.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kid sinister posted:

:ohdear:

I've heard of old shorted out runs of BX glowing like that, but never a gas line!

A guy in AI a while back worked on a car where the ABS module failed in such a way that it shorted to ground... that ground being the rear brake line. It was glowing brightly when he lifted it up, and rusted to poo poo once he disconnected the battery (the other lines were shiny and the car was decently new iirc).

Brake fluid is pretty drat flammable, though obviously not generally explosive.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

In Florida we run ceiling vents only as you'd expect. If circulation's bad due to blowing hot air into the top of the room, you just get a fan going, for the two nights a year it's an issue.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

OSU_Matthew posted:

awesome cool evening air

not sure I follow

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Most of us do, tbh.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

xwing posted:

Not really. Only place that has a higher net migration is Texas.

It's humid as hell, but there's a reason all those drat snowbirds invade Florida every year.

Well that's a genuine surprise, quite a few of my former friends got the gently caress out after college (as I plan to)

Then again, most of them went to Texas, so v:v:v

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I have never lived in a house with a conditioned attic.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

My current unit is on the south end not just of the building, but the whole complex, so there's not even a hint of shade from other buildings. Top floor, too.

My bedroom, however, gets uncomfortably cold a lot of the time; it's shaded and out of the sun, and my roommate blasts the a/c continuously because the rest of the unit the vents can't keep up with incoming heat. So my room gets so cold I occasionally have to go wash my hands/feet just to warm them up.

The crappy construction tale I guess is poor ventilation balancing/insulation, and the vents whistle when "closed" and don't cut the airflow down much anyway so there's not much I can do about it short of telling him to just suffer. At least we've got a pretty generous utility cap built into the rent.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

And there's a few more here.

I'm the "lie bace"

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hey man, gently caress what might happen next month, today this production line stays open.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Youth Decay posted:

Apparently it's STILL standing as of 4 months ago. Survived some serious wind storms in the interim. Amazing.

It's like the construction equivalent of retard strength. (Can we still say that?)

jeremiah johnson posted:

My neighbor is building, something ,in his back yard....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAkZT_4vL_Y

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Meh, it probably only weighs like three hundred pounds, not even worth worrying about.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Mcmansion Hell put out a new post and

lovecraftian is the best word i can come up with

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I mean ultimately Tumblr is a blogging site, not an online newspaper.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

In florida that would probably be an inherent fire hazard just from the solar heat buildup.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

This turret line is killing me

Unlike the turret itself

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

"Hey where's the loving refrigerant line?"

"oh its under the dirt, we just dumped it over everything."

"Okay, where does it run?"

"ummmmm..."

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

This is from 10,000 pages back but w/e

there wolf posted:

This just makes me wonder if anyone has ever tried to fake floorboards/joists on their ceiling for a more rustic look.

At my mom's, not only are there fake foam beam joists, they are actually covering up real 2xwhatever ceiling joists that protrude through the ceiling, as we found out when we attempted to take one down to see how it'd look. This was for a quick remodel, and she didn't want to re-do the ceiling texture (which was left smooth under the foam beams and looked like rear end exposed), so we ended up leaving them. At least now they're the same cream color as the walls, unlike the original poo poo brown which stuck out like a sore thumb against the white ceiling.

Why the joists stick down like that is beyond me. Maybe the ceiling was originally lower before being raised to its current 8' height? Who knows.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Here (FL, but I know a lot of US states are similar) it's the exact opposite. Schools are ranked by standardized testing results, and the schools that do the best get the most funding. Which is loving asinine, clearly the schools doing badly need more help than the ones already doing well, right? But nope, the smooth, quiet wheel gets the grease.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

sirr0bin posted:

I have a drawer like that in my house. I had to file off some of the knob to get it to clear. Uggh, previous owners.

Just skew the drawers, like that one posted in here a while back where it was hitting a stovetop or something.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'm pretty board of this derail, wood you guys please screw off?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Indolent Bastard posted:

I'd buy the heck out of a glass front dishwasher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IaT90jhuB0

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Retsupurae's Dahir Insaat mock videos were sheer gold, it's a shame they got C&D'ed. You can probably still find them out there but the original uploads are private now.

Death Bed is pretty amazing, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ8tuAoyT14

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

moist turtleneck posted:

I searched through their channels about a month ago and was sad to see them gone, I really wanted to watch the one where they comment on the giant quadcopter drone that comes out of a truck trailer and destroys American jets on the runway

"Wait, really, you went for the stealth bombers last!?"

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

crazypeltast52 posted:

There is only one definition of flat (excluding previous owners), but curves can come in infinite radii, plus if someone wants an elliptic curve, so it's going to be more expensive barring a magic 3D printer.

Curves of infinite radii are flat, problem solved

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It's a feedback loop. First maintenance gets away from you because you can't muster the energy. Then you feel ashamed of the state of your home, but a part of you won't let yourself fix it, because it believes you deserve to be ashamed, because you are poo poo. The prospect of fixing the problems becomes more and more daunting, and that validates your inaction, since you couldn't have fixed it even at the beginning. Because you are poo poo.

From personal experience, 1000% this. I have to take a weekend every once in a while and just get my apartment back into a civilized state; on a daily basis, it's just a bunch of "gently caress it i'll wash this pot tomorrow/do a load of laundry/throw out these empty frozen food boxes, i feel too lovely to do it right this second" and before you know it the sink's piled with dishes and there's food wrappers all over the counter, etc etc.

And I've got a half-decent handle on my depression, I'm nowhere near the worst about this sort of thing.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Control Volume posted:

How would a battery popping out cause a fire?

Not "pop out", "pop", as in explode due to an internal short. Since, y'know, they're discarded batteries.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The Sexual Shiite posted:

Someone give me the link to that really satisfying video of the dude laying concrete block. I want to show my wife.

Thanks!

https://www.wimp.com/laying-cinder-blocks-like-a-pro/

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Jaded Burnout posted:

No. Difficult to exit and immature market, respectively.

Jesus.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ExplodingSims posted:

Also somebody find that one coin farm that had the exposed bus bars running down the place.

lol "one"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Jaded Burnout posted:

This is a tricky one because yes the airport was there but the pattern and type of air traffic might have changed.

For example, I used to live in Ealing in west London, and it is east of and on the flight path for Heathrow, which is one of the busiest airports in the world.

Planes make the most noise when they're taking off, they don't make huge amounts when they're landing, they also have to take off and land into the wind. So when the winds are westerly the planes are landing over Ealing and don't make too much noise. When they're easterly the planes have to take off over Ealing and are hugely loud because they're at 2000ft as they went over my house.

Ealing gets Easterly winds about 25% of the month. There were restrictions about when flights were permitted during easterly winds but of course restricted flights means less money and the airlines weren't happy about that, so they've slowly been creeping up the permitted flight times until nearly 1am by allowing delayed flights to bypass the 11:30pm limit.

So yes the locals moved into an area which has had an airport since 1930, but things change, and sometimes their complaints are valid.

Moving in next door to Laguna Seca and then complaining that you can hear racecars is still dumb, though.