Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BRISTOL PALINS BABY posted:

I have a story from an old apartment I lived in:

It was a new building and I was the first tenant to live in the apartment. Shortly after moving in, I started hearing a high-pitched beeping sound. My immediate thought was that a smoke detector was running out of batteries, but none of the smoke detectors I could find were making the sound. I checked my apartment, the garage next to me, the neighbor's apartment. Nothing. I complained to the landlord and got no action.

Eventually I just stopped hearing it.

Whenever I would have company over they would immediately ask about the beeping and I'd briefly become conscious of it and tell them I had no idea what it was. A few people refused this explanation and tried to find it themselves, but ultimately none did.

When I decided to move out and into another place with my then-girlfriend, the landlord came over to give an inspection. His first question: what's that beeping? I nearly lost my temper and explained that it was the sound I had complained about several times but could never find. He walked up to a wall and turned around with a smile. "I know what it is."

Apparently, when they were building the building, they had to meet some sort of code requirement and had to place a second stairway in the house. As soon as the inspection was done, they walled up the stairway. That new wall was part of my apartment. In that walled off stairway was a smoke detector they had left inside. They were going to have to knock down a wall in order to get that smoke detector.

Assholes.

Wow, that's like unintentional gaslighting right there. I think that's even illegal to do to prisoners or something :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Bonk posted:

And yet just below the trio of lightswitches and random outlet is a cable jack (in a hallway), somewhat out of place phone jack, and three of these 4-pronged outlets I've never seen anywhere else. I'm sure they have a use in some Asian country, but this is in western Canada.

Those are old phone jacks actually. Before the world had the modern wonder of RJ-11 we had these:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Get ahold of your local inspector and just bluntly ask for a referral?

But this thread has also established that a lot of inspectors miss things all the time too. I'm now terrified of buying a house thanks to the Internet :ohdear:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

My friend just bought a house that a bank had foreclosed on. The bank's inspector had found nothing wrong with it. He hired his own inspector, and his inspector found that the roof was literally sagging in two places from rot, and a bunch of other things were wrong with it. They called the bank's inspector back out, told him to go up on the roof and stand in the exact spot that was sagging that he said was fine. He put one foot on it and it sunk in almost an inch and he jumped back. "Oh, must have missed that :downs:"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Helena Handbasket posted:

Rusty pencil sharpener anchoring a long piece of plastic twine. You pull on the twine to turn on the exterior light on the corner of the house several yards away. The plastic knife is decorative.

Rex Eddyyyyy. :argh:

That pencil sharpener looks many many times older than that nice wooden railing you have there, meaning they pretty much went "How do I turn on a light far away? I've got just the thing!" :psyduck:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Heresiarch posted:

My wife from Brazil saw this post over my shoulder and apparently her parents have this exact model in their shower. For those wondering, it is installed the usual way in this photo, wires and all.

When I went to visit her in São Paulo before she moved here, she spent some time trying to find a flat for us to stay in that didn't have an electric showerhead because she wasn't sure exactly how I would handle such a thing.

So is it just that the houses don't have a dual set of pipes for both hot and cold water, or are electrical hazards just a cool thing that caught on with everyone so buildings just come like that?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

So put the CO2 bottle in the closet, and put your regulator at the bar? Either way you get the CO2 bottle out of the area, which is nice.

I doubt those pipes could take the full pressure coming out of the bottle, especially if they're ancient and designed for regulated pressure - CO2 canisters can output upwards of 800 PSI.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

I just made sure not to touch two wires at the same time and I'm still alive. I don't even know where the fuse box is :( (I'm renting an apartment in a three-apartment house)

You probably already realize this, but "Just don't touch both wires at once!" is an excellent and easy way to get yourself killed, even if it didn't in this particular case. You don't even necessarily need to touch both wires to shock yourself if you happen to be touching anything else that's grounded, let alone the risk of your hand slipping or you dropping it.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

kastein posted:

It's basically just plumbing for nerds, if you can do basic math and do a bit of reading on how it all works, it starts making a lot of sense.

Current: volume of water passing by a point
Voltage: pressure
Resistance: friction/turbulence in the flow due to small pipes, turns, etc

Capacitor: storage tank
Inductor: flywheel connected to an impeller in the pipe. Hell, even just a long pipe. Don't believe me? What's water hammer then?

etc etc.

This is somewhat of a simplification, but it makes more sense than you'd think at first.

I basically had the same ideas for everything but the inductor. It really does fit incredibly well to think about it as a long pipe and a voltage spike as water hammer, I'm gonna use that one in the future :)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

evilnissan posted:

This is another dad fix to control a leak in a wall.

I need to document everything one day and maybe start a thread to help keep me motivated but after 12 hour shifts and a 9 month old baby girl to take care of my free time is usually nap time.

So instead of fixing the leak he built an elaborate drainage system to manage the leak, makes so much sense :psyduck:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

DNova posted:

Well, usually you're supposed to relieve the hydrostatic pressure on the wall by drilling holes in it to LET the water come in, and then let it flow through a small trench into a sump pump basin. Just sealing the wall without relieving the pressure isn't going to be a long-term solution. Although, neither is baking pan with a bunch of PVC piping coming out of it.

Ah that makes sense, I live in coastal Florida and nobody here has a basement because they would basically all be underwater all the time no matter what you did due to the water table being RIGHT THERE and all the ground being made of sand. Thanks for the info in case I ever move :)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Blistex posted:

I've seen houses with 4 sump-pump holes and pumps all working in unison to keep the place from floating away!

Come on, you can't just mention that without providing pictures of this hilarious comedy sketch of a house.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Splizwarf posted:

Drains straight to the basement, calling it right now.

Via a pie tin fashioned into a crude funnel that leads into a series of ever more elaborate pipes which wind up just dumping it on the floor 3 feet away from a drain.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

They're called barnstars and are supposed to be placed on your barn as decoration: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnstar

There are shitloads of them near where my grandmother lives in rural Ohio, because they're very popular with the Amish. According to her, non-Amish people in the area put them on their houses (as opposed to their barns, which may also have a star on them) to signify that they have a family member deployed overseas. Maybe that folk use o them is getting picked up and that's why they're suddenly appearing everywhere? Originally they were just a decorative farm thing though.

I like how the wikipedia page mentions barnstar "enthusiasts" :allears:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

FCKGW posted:

That reminds me that my parents just signed a contract to get new windows installed. Some guy just came up to their door and offered to install some windows. Initially they passed but they left their contact info with the guy. He called back a couple days later and knocked 50% off if they agreed to put signs up on their house and do a YouTube testimonial for the company. They mentioned they also do a variety of work such as tiling, painting, solar install and sprinkler repair.

I'm dying to see how this turns out.

Oh boy, my dad got conned into buying $3000 worth of lovely fill dirt for the driveway by some guy walking around door to door just like that. And like $400 worth of really bad low-quality meat. Who the hell buys meat from some guy who just drives a meat truck to your house and asks if you want any? What the hell dad :saddowns:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I have no idea how this works, do houses have to be certified as a fit dwelling, or does it only work the other way (where the city/town/whatever can say a dwelling is unfit and dangerous to live in)? Because I don't see why a structure (or construction on a different structure) that's unfinished that you don't have to pay taxes on would be signed off as a-okay to occupy.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

There was a segment about those beams on How It's Made if anyone wants to see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK_v01nqWTc

VV Absolutely VV

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 5, 2014

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I think it was just "someone realized that a bunch of tiny compartmentalized rooms was a hell of a lot less convenient than more open spaces, built a few houses like that, then everyone else wanted one."

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Mr. Despair posted:

The lab I work in has some pretty heavy duty wood used in a few spots. You can see it going by in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjl7YKUzujA#t=307

It was built in the early 1940's, and that shaft goes down a little over 4850'. Pretty smooth ride all things considered, although there is a lot of work involved in refurbishing everything to make sure it's holding up.

Where the hell do you work, a neutrino detector?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

My office's air conditioner just broke, so I figured I'd take a picture of the amazing install job they did when they put it in a year or so ago:

The hole goes all the way outside, but the cable just goes off into the wall somewhere :confused:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

A proper splice, soldered with good techniques to high standards (NASA writes a spec that will make your head spin) is indeed a great connection. It's not the best connection for every situation, though. You need to balance conductivity, stress relief, shock tolerance, mechanical strength, reworkability, heat limits, and on and on. A properly made cold-weld between copper conductors (as you'd get in a crimp, wire-nut or wire-wrap connection) is actually stronger and has lower resistance than a comparable solder joint between the same two wires.

Even NASA doesn't always use soldered joints, despite their incredibly detailed technique. All of the electronics on the Apollo capsules were built with wire-wrap, because they stand up better to the vibration experienced in a rocket launch.

My dad is an electrical engineer working for NASA at KSC and holy gently caress every single connection everywhere in my parents' house is up to the goddamn NASA spec in one way or another because he's insane, I can attest to them being loving indestructible connections.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Given the situation of that column (i.e. outdoors, next to a poor),

Do you wear a tophat and monocle? :wotwot:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Delivery McGee posted:

So '90s though.

I'm all about using the space between studs on interior walls -- my parents' house has little magazine pockets in the bathroom walls next to the toilets, which is loving genius. But last I checked, a wall is like five inches thick. Where the gently caress are those drawers going?

You could make a double-sided drawer and share it with one of the bedrooms on the other side of the wall so they can both store things in it at once :aaaaa:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Mine dumps the air back out directly into your face while you're cooking without filtering it at all it seems, which is really pleasant when cooking onions :v:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hey Motronic/others, I think these fire safety tips are really cool and want to ask a bunch about my own apartment's system but I don't really want to derail the thread further, could you start a thread / is there already a thread about home safety I could ask in? Thanks :)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

SkunkDuster posted:

I worked in a sensitive military facility that had a halon system. They told us when it goes off, it unloads Halon so fast that it blows poo poo everywhere like a hurricane and we may or may not get out of the building alive. Not sure if any of that was actually true or if it was just a way to scare us from pulling the fire alarm.

They used to also have incendiary grenades on top of all the racks of electronic equipment but they got rid of them. I don't know why they took them out, but my best guess is that bored soldiers are capable of doing really dumb poo poo.

Were the incendiary grenades there for any reason in particular or just for shits and giggles?

VV I was thinking that at first, but wouldn't the halon put it out :downs: VV

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 19, 2014

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I was kinda thinking that the grenades would cause the halon to automatically deploy, but now that you mention it yeah the grenades probably wouldn't give a gently caress about the halon and just keep on truckin' right through to the floor.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Atmus posted:

My dad worked at a base that had the same sort of set up. They eventually replaced the thermite grenades with sledgehammers (albeit very, very nice ones) because the grenades kept disappearing due to boredom/mischief.

Were they like... automatic sledgehammers? Or was one poor guy just supposed to stay behind while the building is under siege and whack all the servers out of the racks, hoping he hits the hard drives?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oh huh, I just remembered my grandparents' ancient house had one of those screwed to the wall in the kitchen.

Directly above the sink.

Well at least they both died of not-electrical reasons I guess :downs:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Ferremit posted:

Mostly because finding affordable land thats big enough for the house we want is a challenge and the new estate actually had quite a lot going for it- its in the area I grew up in which is a really nice part of the Adelaide Hills, its a fair distance from major roads- so you'll hear the occasional stock truck and theres a few busy weeks during the vintage where trucks full of grapes go flying about, but thats standard anywhere in the hills, its got reclaimed water for the gardens, fibre to the home internet and once we got through the bullshit of settlement and getting our house design rubber stamped for being suitable by the developer (which it passed no worries) they have pretty much nothing to do with us.

We're going to look out on the creekline reserve with a grassed and landscaped area across from us, so its going to be worth it in the long run.

Until the entire development sinks into the wetland one rainy night and you become a creepy urban legend and your ghost haunts grape shipments for decades to come.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

There are still large swaths of the country that only have access to DSL at best. Only the competitive markets get actual good broadband and those are shrinking every day. Hell my friend runs an ISP that specializes in delivering broadband to places where the other ISP's won't go because there's not enough profit to be made to offset the cost of deploying. He uses wireless links so its way cheaper (and often faster than DSL would be).

Don't you Europeans (or at least Australians) have weird infrastructure laws that says everyone has to have fiber by the next decade or something? All we have are grants that line Comcast's pocket and do little else.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also Comcast, since they have a monopoly over a good chunk of the entire country, has been pretty instrumental at keeping broadband back. They claim that they can't give faster speeds or lower prices with their current infrastructure, but whenever a new competitor challenges their markets (like google) suddenly faster speeds are just magically available without any sort of infrastructure upgrades.

Sorry I encouraged the broadband derail it's just that Comcast pisses me (and everyone) off

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

What's a condensation line? Like I can assume what it does by the name, it's taking moisture from somewhere and dumping it in the sink, but what's it for?

When your AC chills air, a side effect is all the moisture condenses out of that air onto the cold AC bits like dew condensing in the morning. The AC needs to get rid of that somehow or it will just keep pooling up until it pours out all over your house. Normally this would be done by a pipe that goes outside or to a proper drain but this guy was in a hurry it seems.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Doccers posted:

The fun thing is they tried to get me to sign off on the "ok we're done here" by waiting in a van across the street until my parents left for work - I was 13 at the time.

Creepy guys idling in a van across the street until your parents left before approaching you, shoulda called the cops :stare: Didn't you have to watch all those 90's stranger danger PSA's too?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

kizudarake posted:

Well, gently caress yeah. What kind of rear end in a top hat do you take me for?

An rear end in a top hat who takes the caulk, probably :v:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Crotch Fruit posted:

Apartments suck balls, ask me about living next to a Crips den, in a "luxury" apartment complex.

My sister had it worse though, in one of her apartments she fought a relentless Holly war against a never ending stream of roaches. She tried every roach poison/trap known to man and thoroughly cleaned her apartment to no effect. One day she saw the neighbor's kid throw a a pillow outside. When the pillow landed a mass of roaches came out, she reported this to management. About a week later, management came by to let her know the neighbors evacuated and left the apartment with a three inch thick layer of dog poo poo and a massive roach nest.

Is your apartment in a city? Because my apartment outside a city is just lovely and only has millions of ants instead of roaches :colbert:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

SocketSeven posted:

Roaches can be kinda cute; when you compare roaches to bed bugs. Those little fuckers nearly drove me insane when they infested my apartment. Management couldn't kill them. They would come through the walls, then crawl up the walls at night, while I watched them as they plotted to dive bomb me and suck my blood the moment I closed my eyes.

Little did I know, it was all a distraction so the main force in the pillows and corners of the sheets could approach undetected.

For months after leaving that apartment I was seeing imaginary bed bugs and freaking out that I had not gotten rid of them after all.

At my current apartment, the rental agreement (and apparently Florida law) says that if I get bed bugs and the exterminator can't eliminate them because I wasn't "cooperative" enough (IE I didn't immediately burn all my belongings) I would then be liable for the cost of exterminating all the bed bugs from the entire building.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I took all the cheapass 10 cent incandescent bulbs out of all the fixtures when I moved in and stored them away in the closet for when I move out and replaced them all with fancy and efficient LED's :whatup:

At my last apartment plumbing costs ate the entire deposit plus another $600 because there was a clog in the shower that we didn't know about until move-out day.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I forgot how much Adam Carolla annoys me, but it does seem like a fun idea for a show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

some texas redneck posted:

Flipping Vegas.

I want to kick that guy in the balls every time he opens his mouth. Or mentions his loving Porsche.

Oh jeez, I caught like two episodes of that once when nothing else was on and I was bored and I almost instantly developed a seething hatred of that power-tripping rich jackass.

Yeah let's scream and throw a tantrum because the tile installers aren't installing tile as fast as you want. Oh no you went over budget by $500, you'll only make $19,500 instead of $20,000, time to yell at and beat your wife!