Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

MisterOblivious posted:

Even better if it was 3D, and functional.

That's a skyline diffuser. It helps scatter the echoes in a hard room which helps get rid of that "boxy" sound.
and also, no homeless people will sleep on your wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Computer: “Press the clitoris key.”

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

what

... what's the latch gonna do?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's spelled ow

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I knew London was pretty bad but seven hundred and fifty pounds

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

therobit posted:

If you want a place to park your motorcycle it’s 400 pounds!
I think I'm just gonna ramp it up the stairs and out the window every day

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Renaissance Robot posted:

so do upper floor residents get in and out via a rope ladder slung over the balcony or what
I always assumed they were little maisonettes.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

THERE ARE THIRTY SEVEN LIGHTS

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sounds probably aren't particularly comforting either, and I can't imagine the taste does much to save it. Really a failure on all senses except the one of impending disaster.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Platystemon posted:

I had a question in school that involved cantilevered stairs. The criterion for strength that I suggested was based on a strongman making a world-record lift walking up the stairs with his weight on the unsupported end. I thought that this was fair.

The book disagreed with me and gave a way lower load to use in calculations. I forget what it was exactly, but it was something that a morbidly obese person could hit on their own, not even accounting for the piano they could reasonably be expected to help move up the stairs.

I don’t think that the book’s authors are out there designing stairs or writing building codes, but let’s not give the people who will go on to do those things the wrong ideas.
I think that basically sums up the difference between the architecture and engineering sides of things. These are primarily Architect Stairs.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's like that game where you lead the metal rod through the electrified wire maze except with way higher stakes.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm very sorry but I'm not gonna not use it if I've spent all that time puzzling out how I possibly still could.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Catching up on the thread, missed unfinished wood chat a while ago, but seeing it did make me want to mention: at my job we had a reception desk on a platform, all unfinished wood, and the platform floor was splintering badly from chair wheels going back and forth all the time. We had to put down those ugly clear plastic office floor mats eventually, and always said it was a temporary measure to tide us over until a long planned redesign of the entire area. This year the redesign finally happened, we had a very expensive new desk and platform made, and you receive no points for guessing a) the material, b) what is happening half a year later and c) the solution to b).

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Slanderer posted:

I remembered how to quote archived stuff:
That is some Dahir Insaat poo poo and I mean quite literally

-Zydeco- posted:

"The cube plans to put 1 out of every 6 UCSB students next to the County of Santa Barbara Community Hazardous Waste Collection Center"
Suddenly the no windows thing becomes really appealing.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yes, that's definitely the standard I hold hundreds-of-millions dormitories to.
A BILLIONAIRE: gently caress I could have just built a multistorey car park

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mean imagine the amount of concrete you'd otherwise need to secure the War Rig

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ashcans posted:

The correct sequence can be found by looking for mistakes in the bathroom tile pattern
so procedurally generated, is it

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

creaks, does it

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/hoodcomedyent/status/1468059151557406730?s=21

that's not going anywhere anytime soon, the theory still holds

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

gotta hand it to beatmstrJ: you really wouldn't predict a tile job to turn out like this

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Better than the usual mushrooms.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You're of course free to choose to have your garage doors point away from the front and towards a slope at the back of the house

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Small detail crappy construction. I have this power supply, one of those multi-region deals where you clip in a region specific adapter that's supposed to stay in place pretty much forever.

Yesterday we pulled it out the wall. The adapter part held on. The glue that holds the adapter part together did not and left us with this.

Some of you may already see where this is going. For anyone wondering "where's the rest of it", well

It's in an unplugged power strip for the photo, I'm not that much of an idiot

This seems like a perfectly clever idea if you look at the system from the outside, but as soon as you examine it closer you realize it's actually bafflingly irresponsible. It's incredibly easy to have a brainwave and go "whoops the bit is stuck let me just pull that out real quick" and grab it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've since checked another of those multi region type adapters I remembered I had, and in that the bit with the pins is held in with a screw. Textbook "where can we save money in bulk production".

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

What if the job is toilet fixer

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

While we're at it, not sure how much of a household name Spirou is in the US, but its recurring villain, megalomaniacal but ultimately pathetic wannabe dictator Zorglub and his army of brainwashed drones have now aged interestingly from their inception in the 60s.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

A lot of people invoke Escher for optical stuff that strictly speaking wouldn't have been his ballpark but hot drat that is spot on.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm guessing you guys don't have an equivalent to the German saying may lightning strike you while making GBS threads

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh man you can see it giving in while he's still gearing up.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

who would be deranged enough to move into this thing with their partner

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's like the Garbage Pail Kids grew up and went into business together :allears:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I have seen this in real life.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ye gods, I've never felt so clean.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

Electrician, since electricity shouldn't be getting there in the first place. That is to say, "there's electricity in my plumbing" isn't a plumbing problem.

Just like if there's fire in your walls, you don't call a builder.

But when just about anything is in your plumbing, it's a plumbing problem. If there's a rat in your plumbing you wouldn't call a veterinarian.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

what a great idea, in a few years it can double as a levee

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

imagine coming home drunk

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's a fancy student dorm, I'm pretty sure the residents won't be able to either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I do like that the lights curve around to the bottom of the next stairs up, lord knows you'll need any waypointing you can get.