Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Dillbag posted:

Funny, but also on dirt???

The owner had to settle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

it would be pretty dangerous to invite water damage in the long run in that way

good thing that landlords give a gently caress about protecting their investments, ja?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

By popular demand posted:

:cumpolice:that's the wrong type of load bearing wall

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Lutha Mahtin posted:

this is massively overbuilt, right? the video maker is a vacuum guy who does central-vac systems

https://youtu.be/StVqS64Tsdo

Godly Construction: golf cage converted indoor swimming pool

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Crappy Construction: Inappropriate Peanutting

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Is your decriminalized substance paraphernalia an unregistered destructive device?

IT'S MORE LIKELY THAN YOU THINK!

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 8, 2022

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ngl I lived in a place like that for a few years growing up, over the course of the first 6 months we did an enormous amount of major renovation and then polished for the next like 3 years at our leisure

you can do it but you have to have skills and you have to know what you're getting into

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Open your arcs,
Hook up to the lines and freeze
I'm just a gofer, I ain't no journeyman,
Because it's AC come, AC go,
Sine wave high, sine wave low,
Any way the arc blows doesn't really matter to
Me, to me

Mamaaa,
Just killed a man,
Put two-forty 'gainst his head, flipped the breaker,
Now he's dead
Mamaaa, life had just begun,
But now I've gone and thrown it all away
Mama, oooh,
Didn't mean to make you cry,
If I can't get permits this time tomorrow,
Carry on, carry on as if nothing really matters
Too late, inspector's come,
Sends shivers down my spine, breakers arcing all
The time
Goodbye, everybody, I've got to go,
Gotta leave you all behind and face the juice
Mama, oooh
I don't want to die,
I sometimes wish I'd never been born at all.
I see a little silhouetto of a can,
AHJ, AHJ, will you make me use Zinsco!
POCO volts and lighting, very, very frightening me
Don't use Zinsco, don't use Zinsco
Don't use Zinsco, don't use Zinsco
Don't use Zinsco, Fiero - ignition-ohhh
I'm just a gofer, don't give me AC
He's just a gofer, make him bend EMT,
Spare him his life from electricity
AC come, AC go, will you let me go
We're OSHA! No, we will not let you go
(Let him go!) We're OSHA! We will not let you go
(Let him go!) We're OSHA! We will not let you go
(Let me go) Will not let you go
(Let me go)(Never) Never let you go
(Let me go) (Never) let you go (Let me go) Ah
No, no, no, no, no, no, no
Oh OSHA mia, OSHA mia, OSHA mia, let me go
Beelzebub has inspectors put aside for me, for me,
For meee
So you think you can stop me from splitting the wye
So you think you can phase me well you're gonna die
Oh, OSHA, can't do this to me, OSHA,
Just gotta get out, just gotta get right outta here
Nothing really matters, hook me to AC,
Nothing really matters,
Nothing really matters to me
Any way the arc blows...

:nfpa: :piss: :nfpa:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

What's hilarious is that, if the Saudis build any of that arcology whatsoever, to whatever diminished effect, they'll have done more for housing than America :911:

It's not great when "massive impractical hilarious pipe dream money pit arcology project" is materially better than everything America has allowed itself to even try

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Motronic posted:

Care to elaborate on this, or are you just being super brave and edgy here?

No part of this is intended to be brave or funny or edgy at all; quite to the contrary it's sad as hell :(

Does the houses subforum need a primer on the housing crisis

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

*re reads*

I will unequivocally own up to being hyperbolic.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

it's okay, Grover claimed to be "the civilian equivalent of an Admiral" so why NOT sign off on your own work, it's not like there's a massive set of gotchas and industry best practices that require specialized knowledge and experience to not just perform serviceable work, but good work

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

my mistake, stealing far too much valor on behalf of a combination aircraft carrier mechanic / computer janitor

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Nitrox posted:

Considering there are siding-over-studs McMansions going for more than that, this may be a good deal. Especially if you start adding up the amount of custom work involved. And while the aesthetic is silly, I'm not seeing glaring issues.

agreed, and the aesthetic is silly but super warm and comfortable at the same time

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Wingnut Ninja posted:

If you have enough people in a bathroom stall with you that you can't open the door inwards in an emergency, then you are seriously misusing that stall.

man these "maximum occupancy" and "safety regulations" guys are really cramping down on my Saturday afternoons

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

value-brand cereal posted:

I kinda like that brick building, but the linger i look at it the more im uncertain that the windows are slightly uneven. Or if its like an optical illusion that jitters the eyes and makes it appear that its moving in your peripheral vision. It feels very shirley Jackson, haunting of hill house.

I think the photo was taken with a perspective tilting mirror common in architecture photography (I don't know what the name is) in telephoto, which is why it looks more and more awkward the longer we look at it

I see what you're seeing, for sure

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

that has to be a Photoshop. this can't be real

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

to the contrary, that rail definitely has biblically accurate angel aesthetic

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

that's a good way to make sure the steps line up flush with the porch in the right place. the square frame as is has no capacity to survive shear -- watch that fucker wobble as they're gluing parts together

I'm hoping they'll hammer proper support in place once footing is cast

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

I feel like i need to be spoonfed why construction sucks most of the time. maybe its bad because the weight is on the much smaller jutted piece of wood? which is more likely to fail because its not supported by anything below?

grab a cardboard box

open the top and the bottom, then place it on its side, like its a tunnel

does the box stay up?

the stairs are fine if they're going to be reinforced later, but in the current state that is no good. the thing that makes me wonder if they're going to be reinforcing it later and they're just measuring everything out for now is the fact that the footing hasn't been poured yet

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

totalnewbie posted:

What IS the proper way to make those stairs, as they're built now, stable?

nukes

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Platystemon posted:

They call it “weathering steel” and market it as a feature.

:capitalism:

Weathering Heights

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

even the tv console has windows

the mini split above the TV holy shitamoley

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

kid sinister posted:

I'm the particle board risers.

Also, something something Ghost Ship fire.

papa, what is "limb entrapment?"

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

~Coxy posted:

If you want quiet gear then answer is to build your own supermicro or whatever and give it nice tower coolers and 120mm fans instead of repurposing 1RU machines from disposals.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Beef Of Ages posted:

Also where is the dishwasher air gap?

'Round these parts we call it a "grease trap."

In all seriousness, are you supposed to leave a certain space around your dishwasher?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:hmmyes:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

....those are landscaping pavers, aren't they?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Public library in a rich area renovated in 2003

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

captkirk posted:

I want to find something good about that kitchen. Sure it's goofy but if that's you're bag, go for it.... But it compromises the countertop's and drawers usefulness in a couple places by being way too shallow.

The worst part is almost certainly the extremely high cost of custom bent woodwork.

I kinda love it visually. It's like, the kitchen the Nestle's focus research team had in mind when they made the Nespresso brand

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

imo soft, fat thermoplastics are the real way to give you longer endurance without chafing on your skin

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

While structural columns should be installed with a generous safety factor, that safety factor isn't generally gonna be multiple whole integers. Removing over a square foot of area from the column may very well have reduced the column below acceptable strength.

Not to mention that exposing rebar intended to be buried inside of concrete without additional coating marks the member for a slow death. Rebar and concrete are intended to have each other's backs: the rebar reinforces the concrete to bear moments that concrete is bad at handling alone, while the concrete protects the rebar from the elements. Penetrations and deep cracks that aren't sealed proper can lead to slow, creeping failures as moisture can suddenly make its way to the rebar, rust it, expand it, and push apart the member from the inside.

Worse, the location of that member next to a seam between two walls potentially suggests that it is intended not only to take downward load, but buttress some outward thrust as well. Cutting it here might be even worse because it's compromising more than one design goal that the column was supposed to fulfill because that rebar is no longer helping to tie the wall in. you have to see the plans to know for sure, but you also can't just assume that concrete members are intended only to help handle downward forces.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 24, 2023

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Blindeye posted:

I don't see the seam between two walls but my guess is that the column is compromised but the shear wall is bearing additional axial load (likely in excess of its rated capacity).

My eyes might be misinterpreting this, but you can see from the path the pipe takes that the member at the right side of the photo is set back from the wall at the left, so it looks like some kind of coupled shear wall with an L or C at the left and just more wall at the right

edit: which, of course, would only go on to reinforce your point :nfpa:

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 24, 2023

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Qwijib0 posted:

I do miss appliances that despite their intended placement in a basement or utility closet never to be looked at again, still had some thought put into aesthetic design rather than it being purely functional.

In fairness these utility appliances would more often be visible in homes where they were an aftermarket addition rather than something reliably hidden away in a utility closet. people were also likelier to go to Sears or a corner appliance dealer and browse for a large water heater or a new furnace, and the appeal would thus count for something.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Shifty Pony posted:

The sequence from 0:30-0:35 tells quite the story about the quality of her ventilation system:

No discernible air movement except for the plume from the cutting wheel when there should be a steady flow sufficient to keep the air clear. She also should have a lifeline attached and someone else at the other end of it ready to drag her out of the hole if she were to fall unconscious or be injured.

there's probably no use in worrying about the life of someone who isn't worried about their own, if you're not positioned to stop them or help them

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

expanding foam, known for being perfectly not flammable and thus very safe around dense webs of likely shittily-installed electrical work,

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 22, 2023

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I remember having a lot of fun playing kickball in kindergarten, don't be a wet bag :D

Besides, the code violation notice is an amazing touch.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

are the rumors that the TikTok digger got shut down true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Hadlock posted:

We are way off topic

Crappy Civics