Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Boat posted:

I think the door may be level and the wall's what's at an angle...? :catdrugs:

poo poo, my dad's entire house is like that, it's an 18th century french farmhouse, nothing is straight level or parallel. About once a year he'll rip something off, look at the rural horror beneath and carefully replace it without doing anything. The thing is, the place is made of oak, with either flint rubble walls or wattle and daub in between, there is only so much impact you can make without having to do something very expensive and time consuming.
For instance, the wall between the living room and the large bedroom is eight feet thick, it has a weird lean, but it probably weighs as much as a modern house, so gently caress it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Blistex posted:

yaffle: is the wall some manner of stone/masonry or just crazily erected wood?

It's a flint and lime mortar rubble wall, having built rubble walls we are pretty sure there are no secret rooms or anything. The wall is at the center of the house and pretty much everything hangs off it in some way, we fear to do anything to it at all.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I've inherited my dad's collection, which included his dad's, and grandfathers. They all horded fasteners of all kinds, apparently my grandfather once dismantled a piano and kept every screw, so may flatheads.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

HelleSpud posted:

I don't know, this seems to be pretty cheap:

When a bird flies into your window and you die.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Platystemon posted:

That kitchen is too big, but that’s a problem solved by an island, not a cape.

I read the next two pages and nobody mentioned this so I just want to say that I saw it and I love you.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

A Gandalf beam
"You Shall Not Pass"

That's a barn conversion I'd guess, I'd have to do something similar if I ever converted the other half of my house.
Also "Concussion Monkey " is a pretty good user name.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Facebook Aunt posted:

What is the point of protesting when there is no way to fix this? They can't put windows in later. There isn't any spare space to expand or change anything. An entire pod has a single point of emergency egress and there is no way to fix that. Even if you tear out all the interior walls and redesign the space it is still a cube with the minimum possible surface area.

They only thing that can be done is build new dorms and tear this abomination down, and that won't be in the budget or they would just have built sane buildings in the first place.

Secretly build it so the centre is removable, making a somewhat livable hollow cube.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Thanks! Never would've remembered it.

James Wines

https://failedarchitecture.com/the-ironic-loss-of-the-postmodern-best-store-facades/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Found in r/Architecture: Walstrom House, Los Angeles, by Architect John Lautner, 1996

And I'm not sure because it looks like a perspective trick, but I it kinda looks like if you slip and fall off the death steps, there is also a hole in the floor for you to fall into.

Only if you don't fall through a plate glass window first!