Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

KozmoNaut posted:

Here's a quaint little former shoemaker's shop, lovingly painted and decorated by someone with a lot of time on his hands.

https://home.dk/boligkatalog/assens/5610/raekkehuse/korsgade_3_9110000406.aspx

This place is waiting for the eighties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Vim Fuego posted:

If it's stupid but it works, it ain't stupid :clint: :science:

Yes, but if it works until it goes catastrophically wrong, then it's stupid.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

My dad made a couch out of chipboard and used foam cushions covered with vinyl.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

That's one way to say "my parents are divorced."

No, he was just cheap inventively frugal. He might have got the pattern out of a Mother Earth News. He had grown up during the great depression and never forgot what it was like to scrounge for everything. The couch is long gone although I still have a small table he made. It's in the laundry room. I've build some a few things (a shower, a sewing table and a couple of bookcases) and I use real wood.

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Oct 17, 2021

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

They would have been better to have told him to piss off. Now they have the ever present potential of a "Hundreds of Students killed in Fire" headline looming.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Did they wire it in serial rather than parallel?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I have a house in Missouri built in the 1920's. Nice place but the electricity needs to be modernized. It's bad enough that the walls can't be insulated because that would be a fire hazard. My mom's house was built in the 50's and the wood used on the exterior wall was never cured properly. Until we finally went with siding there was a three year routine of paint & peel.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

power crystals posted:

the PO was an electrician

I have a friend who is a roofer and sometimes general construction. He's built some very nice houses before. He's a very meticulous, thorough builder. HIS house a trailer with add-ons and modifications. The trailer was built in the 70's or 60's so the hallways are tiny and the floor has a tendency to rot out. At one point the favored entry way for the cats was a hole in the kitchen floor. The pipes freeze every winter. They broke every winter until He installed Pex. The bathroom has been refurbished more than once and still has a slightly wavy floor. I've asked him if he ever thought about building a new house and tearing down this one. His response was that he had too much equity in the current house.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I probably would have pointed out the 8 but I would have had a laugh about it.

* I work as a graphic designer.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

Definitely appropriate pointing the barrel at his kids.

Future "You can take my daddies gun from my cold, dead hands" there.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

The conversion process was literally "throw in random pieces of furniture and call it a mansion."

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

CarForumPoster posted:

Retrofit of a hotel or AirBnB with a split ductless A/C?

Grover Hostel

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

TIL the Triangle Shirt company is still in business.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

My mom had a similar problem with a similar room (also in Missouri.) She ended up having the room taken away and an addition put in with a bedroom, a closet and a second bathroom.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I added a label to my cat door.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Usually it's the shadenfreude thread that earns a string of "oh no"s but that deck earned them too.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

MetaJew posted:

Care to summarize what Bertel did? I've tried skimming this article, but it is very verbose and I'm not an art historian

https://arkivet.thorvaldsensmuseum.dk/articles/print/dying-lion-the-lucerne-lion

https://random-times.com/2018/12/05/the-pig-on-the-lion-of-lucerne-the-invisible-joke-of-an-unpaid-sculptor/

Good explanation of the story.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Korg's permaban

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Are those magazine racks?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

They could put up a screen and turn it into a drive in movie.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

As long as we're sharing stories, this one was from a few years back. When I moved out of home I moved into an low income apartment for a couple years and then moved into an apartment owned by a family friend. It was the top floor of an old house that had been turned into three apartments. When I moved in he told me the rent would never raise but I don't think he expected me to stay there as long as I did. It was a nice size for me and the price was right.

There were a few oddities. I had to keep track of when I ran the AC because the whole house was on one box and I would pay X amount for each day I ran it. The bedroom also got really cold in winter. The very old gas heating unit in the room didn't have an automatic temperature control so I had to turn it on an hour before going to bed and let it run all night.

The bathroom had an old clawfoot tub and after long enough I got tired of taking baths instead of showers. I asked if it would be OK for me to put in the plumbing and bits needed for a shower. He said no. He was worried that whoever followed me wouldn't be careful with the shower and would soak the flooring. Some time went on and I noticed the bathroom vanity was rotten below the sink. After seeing it, he agreed that it needed to be fixed.

I was going out of town for a week so he told me he would replace the vanity and put in a shower but my rent would go up. It had been long enough that I didn't have any issue with that.

This is roughly what the bathroom looked like beforehand.

Afterwards it looked like this.

He had build a wall on one side of the tub, completely covering it up. He left a small opening that you had to crawl through to get into the tub. There was also a small curtain on the tub side of it. The funny bit is that the guy who followed me was a cheapskate who left the heat off in the part of the apartment where the bedroom and bathroom was and just lived in the other part. One night one of the tenets in the first floor of the house saw water flowing down the stairs like a wooden waterfall. The pipes had frozen and broke.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I like the phone booth.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

`Nemesis posted:

yes, this is the front of both houses, both new construction

The stairs are made from wood originally meant for the interior framing.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

quote:

The highlight of the property is a $3 Million, 2,000 sq. ft. Nuclear/Biological/Chemical Fallout Shelter and a separate Mother-In-law suite. The property also features 2 Natural gas wells which provides a huge savings on your utilities. There are 4 living areas, including the main level, 2nd floor, full basement and fallout shelter level. There are 21,000 gallon underground propane tanks, an 8,000 gallon pressurized water tank, water well with reverse osmoses, 3 generators, Geothermal heat and air, foam insulated walls with waterproofing, and Decra roof. The Shelter is 26' underground with 39" solid concrete ceiling and 15" walls with wings. This is reported to be the most secure home on the market in this country. It is built to withstand a Seismic 12 earthquake, has 3 air filtrations from Switzerland, and 2 escape tunnels, one is approximately 100 yards long.

Built in 2014. There has to be a heck of a fall from grace story here. Why would you build this monster and then move away?

EDIT: Whoops! I guess it wasn't the most secure home.

https://www.richmondregister.com/ne...e8b02f0dfe.html

https://www.wtvq.com/update-suspect-in-custody-for-shooting-of-jordan-morgan/

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 6, 2023

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

When my six year old saw this picture his face looked as if humanity had betrayed him.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Can't live there mate.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

That is an angry repair job.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Some hopefully not crappy construction. About two months ago I realized the floor under my shower was partially rotted out. My wife had always wanted a bath so it was a good time to put one in. It's been a lot of work but the bath is done. I did the tile myself but had help here and there doing tear down and installation. The floor is next and then I might replace the counter top.

The old shower. The flaw was with the old faucet, which is the one thing I didn't replace when I changed out a badly rotted insert for a new shower twelve years ago.

Demo. I started trying to pop the tiles off and then took out the sledgehammer.

The house was built in 1920 and is plat and lathe throughout.

The new floorboard. I ended up adding a sister to a couple of joists.

Adding two shelves to the back wall, one for the shower, one for the bath. The bath is a 56 inch. There just wasn't enough room for a normal 60 inch. As it was we cut into the back wall in order to get some added distance.

Starting tiling. I absolutely switched out the faucet with a new one.

The cat inspects the work. The process freaked him out.

The finished bath and the unfinished floor. The shower was six inches deeper than the bath so I'll have to redo the floor

The shelves. We're going to repaint the walls and the trim.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Should be fine. Greenboard and moaterboard behind the faucet, moaterboard behind everything else. I have some sealer to put in yet. Any loose water would drain into the tub rather than the wall.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

dobbymoodge posted:

Looks better than I could do, but that floating wall looks pretty high. When you push on that top corner, does it want to rack? That could mess up your grouting and the caulk line where it meets the tub.

Also, is that the final trim on it? The gap at the top really jumps out.

I think the tiling looks fine, you knew what the spacers are for which is better than most bathroom DIY we laugh at here.

The wall is anchored in three places, the floor, the wall and against the tub. I tried wiggling it and it wouldn't move. I still have some caulking to do but I'm waiting until after the trim is painted.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

mycomancy posted:

Then you go into rural Midwest or South and you'll be lucky if your road is paved.

Oddly Missouri is good about having even the furthest back road paved.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

They time share them. It's more efficient that way.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Darchangel posted:

"Kitchens" plural, and it does look like it should be a public building...

It looks like there's a receptionist desk just inside the front door. Everything looks so impersonal.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

My great aunt had a monster size console she and her husband bought somewhere in the late 60's / early 70's. After he died she moved four states away and hauled it there and back when she returned. She died eating a snack while watching TV. The family had an auction and sold off her stuff. As the last of them drove off the console sat on the porch, waiting for whoever bought the house.

You coulda sunk a battleship if you dropped that console on it from high enough.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

My house was built in 1920 and it almost certainly has lead paint everywhere. If silly money came my way the first thing I would do would be to update the wiring and then properly insulate the place.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Her voice sounds like an AI reader.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

My house was built in 1920. It's the old style door latches. Oddly the ones in the bathroom have keyholes on the plate but there's no place to put the keys. Some of the doors are different and I've thought about making them all match.

The house has settled a little but it's not bad.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

kid sinister posted:

The front fell off.

That's not very typical.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

That is a perfectly normal tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

Zesty posted:

All the big brain science books (completely pristine) for their cool shelf to show how sciencey and cool they are. But oh no, how come this design isn't working? :iiam:

Some kind of backing would help but it also needs a brace under the right side.