Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 221 days!

Silver2195 posted:

There's a couple semi-important plot points that it would be nice if someone in this thread could clarify for me (preferably citing either a strip or a blog post):

• Do we ever get an explicit reason why Khun Aguero Agnis sabotaged his full sister to help Maria become a Princess instead? The wiki says that he thought Maria was a kind person who deserved the position more than his full sister did, but I can't find an actual source for this. The flashback involving the incident in Season 1 Ep. 12 is rather confusing, but we learn that there are (unconfirmed) rumors of an incestuous relationship between Khun AA and Maria (which I guess we're just supposed to take as malicious gossip, but AA has a Byronic enough vibe to make it seem vaguely plausible). When Khun AA himself tells the story later, he makes what actually happened clearer, but pointedly omits his motivation, although the way he tells the story suggests that he was rebelling against the path in life his mother chose for him.
  • How do the immortality contracts of the Ten Family Heads and Arlene Grace work? I thought that the Family Heads were only unaging, and the immunity to being killed by an "inhabitant of the Tower" applied only to Zahard, but then we're told that Arlene tried to commit suicide but was unable to because of her immortality contract. For that matter, even if Arlene had the same contract as Zahard, shouldn't she, as an Irregular, have been able to kill herself?

I don't think his motivation has been explained, other than some sort of admiration for Maria. He was possibly played.

As I recall, having an immortality contract includes you in the protection offered by the contract itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 221 days!
Rachel is SUI's favorite character, and probably was treated as an untouchable because she had the job of interacting with Baam outside the Tower. I like that her irregular power is being a stone cold bitch but I kind of wish SIU would put a little more thought into writing her with more subtlety than "oh im going to press the give popular character a heart attack button now."

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 221 days!

Tipme posted:

Just wanna say in this weeks fast pass chapter, two old chicken lovers are making a comeback.

So hyped to see that.

e: that chicken you like is going to come back in style

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 25, 2020

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 221 days!
fastpass spoiler: supporting character appearance: mule love is the greatest, im so glad he's back

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 221 days!

Shugojin posted:

:negative: just stop working and rest my dude you don't need to do this to yourself

an unmonitized calorie of energy remains in his metabolism; capital is not yet satisfied

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 221 days!

Two Tone Shoes posted:

That's a nice teleporting bow and arrow trick you've got, super powerful ancient FUG Elder. Don't mind if I do!

Also white pulling off his best Hisoka impression there.

Also also drat that loving call back. It's been so long since we got the Augusgus as a secret FUG High Ranker reveal. I wonder how in the hell he got Mule Love on his side considering his entire character premise was hating FUG and trying to get Baam to stop working for them.

The answer is really funny, but I'll leave it unspoiled.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 221 days!
I get huge "Augusgus is the guy who killed Love's parents" vibes from that whole sequence.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 221 days!
I actually just stopped reading for a year or so just before the Hell Train and just jumped back in a bit before the Floor of Death. Never went back, I probably missed some stuff, but it's not like White's whole deal is hard to pick up on from context, for example.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 221 days!

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I dunno I thought the Workshop Battles did the test stuff as good or better than the rest. Tied the story right into the test very well.

Testing does become less important as it becomes about the politics and the world rather than just climbing. At this point climbing is a foregone conclusion to our cast as they're all the best of the best of of their peers on whatever floor they are.

I could see testing coming up if Bam is forced to take the test from an administrator again. Otherwise it would mostly be about the politics around fairness of testing when the person taking the test is at war with Jahad. But technically that's every slayer candidate...

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 221 days!
i have mixed feelings because i like tog but i don't like nice Korean people working themselves to death

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 221 days!

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

No tower of god in forever!

Kubera has had like 10+ issues since though if anyone followed that.

Kubera is my incredibly tightly plotted backup Korean webtoon.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 221 days!

Nate RFB posted:

There was also a previous chapter that never got talked about but it was mostly kind of boring ToG game setup.

What was the content warning for? Severed hands? Admittedly ToG is usually not that bloody I guess.

the author of kubera has mentioned having to censor gore, so yes, that

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 221 days!
i read rak as a sort of a loving/gentle satire of traditional korean masculinity, while tog itself is an extremely queer comic in a culture where that can't be talked about openly.

like bam/androssi has a sort of neo/trinity feel where the character is actually expressing the author's love for his own feminine self

luckily siu is so obsessive about characterization that he just gave an extensive backstory to a character he immediately killed off, so androssi already has more characterization under her belt than trinity got across three films

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jun 30, 2021

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 221 days!

Ubiquitus posted:

The chapter that introduced a character that died in the same chapter was truly bad, but the chapters since are picking up nicely and have restored some of my hope for the future of this series.

That guy's been around for awhile, it just gave him some background before offing him.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 221 days!
I will say no more than these incredibly vauge generalities, which I will still spoiler but things are looking very interesting in terms in where Baam and White are in the fast pass chapters. Also there are interesting cuts to other situations. As a tease: Khun.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 221 days!
Look forward to three weeks from now, non-fastpass readers :10bux: :parrot:

What will Bam do this time? I ain't telling.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 221 days!

Dante80 posted:

And SIU trashed his arm again by overworking and went to the hospital. sigh

obi-wan in siu's head desperately begging him to use the assistants

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 221 days!

Jose posted:

meanwhile the newest fan translated chapter which is I think 3 or 4 ahead of the fastpass chapters has the ToG reddit melting down about it lol

I liked it

hah, you're ahead of me, even. if we're okay with linking that sort of thing now, i wouldn't mind one. siu should have a patreon or something, i'm only off the street due to being well established in a place with rent so low you couldn't find a cardboard box for it around here anymore. but i'm still going to shoot $20 to the guy who literally destroyed his body entertaining me if i can.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 221 days!
Yeah, I may or may look into it, but it's nice to have the option when you just have to know what happens next.

Likewise I read ahead a lot in Kubera, but it's awkward because the new stuff is only available as a translated script and you have to switch between it and the raw.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 221 days!

Danann posted:

The official Kubera translation are so shockingly bad that it makes the translation errors for the fan and official Tower of God translation seem quaint.

This week's fast pass for both have some just terrible moments, like PSX-era Square game translations without any of the charm.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 221 days!
i guess english is kind of a high demand skill so it's probably hard to retain talent.

'his majesty' should probably be translated using the royal plural and/or singular. so like "One's attack isn't so easily blocked. You should know Our sword never misses." or something. i like the goofiness because hey the grammar isn't even reliably correct in the official release right now.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 221 days!

Jose posted:

Apparently all of the stuff on webtoons.com has freelancer translations who have to work for speed more than anything else. The essence of bravery is supposed the really be the essence of nothingness

Yeah, I think the literal version is close to "essence of mu." Which of course is connected to Buddha nature. But in Knight Run's clumsy translation, priest dude describes Prey's power as arising from "her karma, 'mu'" which I guess also can mean "killing spirit" in maybe sort of the sense of being perfectly receptive/reactive and non-attached (with one notable exception). Anyhow I know like one or two of you read Knight Run (or the translated prologue).

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 221 days!

Junkozeyne posted:

Reading Knight Run is suffering, every year or two some group will pick it up, translate for a while and then drop it again.

i knew someone would understand :unsmith:

okay read the chapter on fast pass a bit late because I was low on coins. between the translation being much more serviceable this time and the stuff that was cut from the scans to remain tolerable to the people with lawyers, it was way better in the official translation this time.

red thryssa chilling on the opposite side of the abyss from blue

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 20, 2021

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 221 days!

Jose posted:

i wonder when the story will ever get around to the other thorns

Probably once he needs a new carrot; he's after Jinsung now, but sooner or later he'll need a goal.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 221 days!

Jose posted:

we know specifically that there is because the key to get into it requires all of the month weapons and the rings that Karaka and Wangnan have. Data Jahad wanted Bam to get the real Jahad to start climbing again

We also know that the Administrator of the next floor attacked Jahad and his team when they went in. Jahad and the 10 family leaders are, collectively, not on Enryu's level and presumably on some level preparing to try to kill it. That was part of Enryu's gently caress you to Jahad. For all of what's happening, Jahad knowns Enryu could kill him and is letting fate play out instead.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 221 days!

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Well we know the Tower isn't like...a tower that you climb up the stairs to climb. You basically have to teleport from one floor to the next. Which seems next to impossible without the Guardians doing it or being an irregular who can open the ways themselves.

Yeah, the Middle Area can be used by Rankers to bypass the need for an Administrator to teleport you between floors, as well as being an area of each floor where people live. The paths can be quite dangerous though, so you can't travel as recklessly as Yuri does unless you happen to be a badass with a Guide, which happens to be precisely what Yuri is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 221 days!

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Yeah but that's for people who have already been teleported up the floors. You can go back down to any floor you've been through in the middle area but you can't just climb the tower by going into the middle area and getting lucky.

We know there aren't real skies, for instance. You can't just go...up to another floor directly, in some physical way. Kind of defeats the purpose of the climb. I assume middle floor access to previous floors you've been is another Guardian deal.

Actually, maybe I'm wrong on the logistics of this. We know all these fancy family members have hordes of servants and slaves and wealth who aren't probably all high ranking regulars or rankers themselves, so those folks have to come from somewhere and I doubt it's purely native residents on each floor. Tower Topography: another giant mystery in the series.

I mean, the Ranker system has been going on for thousands of years, so a lot of it is probably lower ranking families distantly related to the main family, branch families, and situations with Khun where he's playing stud and has lots of kids but your whole family can get cut off due to politics.