Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Death magnetic was so long in a way that felt manufactured, like "make the songs long" was a bullet point, something on a checklist to mark off, and as multimillionaire over the hill artists do, phoned it in by repeating riffs and the chorus where it's entirely uneceasary and the entire album really really really really suffers for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I've liked moth into flame but the rest of this stuff has been.... not bad... but nothing i want to listen to.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Lars is the only famous drummer that makes drumming look hard. He is really working at it in that video, for very little payoff.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Ronnie is unironically one of my favorite Metallica songs. Its the opposite of metal. Its hard-country or some poo poo but it rules

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Weaponized Cum posted:

May as well just dump the sequencers & faux bass modules, pick up a guitar, a bass & a drum set, & make some REAL dark Music. It's called Metal, & has many shades ranging from Thrash Metal to Melodic Death Metal to Satanic Death Metal to Black Metal to Blackened Death Metal to Ambient Metal to Grind to Industrial & many other sub-genres. Techno music is for fourth graders.

The best metal music i've heard come out of the last year has actually been dark synthwave so I'm getting a kick out of an opinion that reeks of that weird & lovely territoriality that is almost completely dead outside of certain kinds of metalheads. Obviously music is subjective and my tastes clearly ain't yours, but its worth pointing out that just because you dont like a genre doesn't actually strip it of merit.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i didn't think they could write anything like this anymore.

in fact i flatly don't believe they can

gut feeling says somebody trained an ai on their first three/four albums

like something feels off as gently caress about it but it kinda does rock. the lyrics are awful but there are okay songs under it. 80s b-side tier stuff

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

yeah no, like this isn't great. it's better than what i thought them capable of, which is why it's like "why does this sound off?" but my prediction is the entire album is gonna be a fairly sad pastiche of their prior work

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Kalmah put out a new single that is pretty good.

I thought Palo pretty much sucked, but the song, Haunted By Guilt, is pretty good.

Kalmah are getting up there in years and they hit more often than they miss. pretty reliable for a metal band imo

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

Groan of Wind is honestly one of the best metal songs ever written.

It hits all the cool stuff you want - great opening, fast riffs, excellent vocals, amazing melody. Just a loving sick banger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv5UeK5cSKY

That album was my first exposure to Kalmah, and it's a favorite, despite really not sounding anything like what came before or after.

However my favorite songs are off of 12 Gauge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_-KFIbW12A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaAbnOO18hw

e: but my favorite guitar solo in metal is on their first album. the rest of the song is kind of ehh, but the guitar solo that comes in around the 30sec mark is a loving banger. That's probably an exceptionally subjective assessment but I seriously think it transcendently loving rocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07AqoB5H2bU

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 8, 2023

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjRKg7Adxl8

the intro is silly as poo poo but i think I like it more than Haunted By Guilt

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

glad im not the only one who thinks the new metallica album sounds like some AI-assisted poo poo

Metallica writes music in a different, as yet unilluminated bad way. St. Anger/Frantic, or like Cyanide, that's what we should be hearing. That kind of bad. This is a different, way less authentic kind of bad.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Yo this loving rules. I haven't found *new* metal that i've liked more than a couple of listens in, for a while, so this is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Dunno, I've never seen anyone stan for Ronnie, House that Jack Built, Cure

100% no poo poo not joking, ronnie is one of the best songs on Load