Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

TheQat posted:

New Faceless is out and about . . . honestly I was hoping for something as straightforward as Planetary Duality but this one trends a bit toward prog and maybe a tiny bit of symphonic stuff? Not really sure what to call it. Anyway the technical stuff is still really cool, it's just not what I was expecting

edit: okay yeah there's organ and sax on track 3. :wtf:

Not even remotely what I expected, but unless Between the Buried and Me manages to turn up with the best album ever made in October I think this is going to be my pick for best album of 2012. As much of a complete change of direction as it is from Akeldama and Planetary Duality, I haven't been as amazed overall by an album in a long, long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
I went to the BTBAM/Meshuggah show at The Wiltern in LA and the synchronized light show that went along with the music made me truly understand what epilepsy must be like. Go see it if you actually do have epilepsy and want to actually die.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Kumbamontu posted:

New BTBAM song/video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R40wAZxMsTg

Pretty groovy and the production is crisp as hell

The first track they released was a bit wonky, so it's good to hear that this song is more solid. 3:00 onwards is amazing.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

I followed a concise introduction into metal:

1. Primus (Getting into music that offends general musical sensibilities)
2. The Faceless (Melodic approach to metal)
3. Meshuggah (Monotone, polyrythmic hate-noise)

Seemed to work pretty well.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

As someone who listened to Dream Theater in high school, I feel obligated to listen to The Astonishing at least once when it comes out because it seems like a whole new level of pretentious wankery even for them. Not sure how long it's going to be, but it's stretched out over two disks so I'm going to guess about three hours.

e: The site doesn't have song durations, but it does have this helpful map:

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 13, 2016

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

this wasn't dumb and awful when Xanthochroid did it but when Dream Theater try the same thing it's remarkably bad

The intrepid prog hero, no doubt.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

edit: I read a little more and apparently I missed the AWESOME story... the song is about Gabriel communicating to his brother Arhys that he has a plan that he thinks can save them, “but there’s a betrayal theme that’s going on in the story that comes to a head,” says Petrucci.

Oh poo poo. I bet Arhys is secretly working for Lord Nefarius.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Colonel J posted:

I could go on and on but I also really enjoy Spiral Architect, Dysrhytmia, Behold the Arctopus... It seems like none of those bands do it as well as Jarzombek though, and right now I'm considering him as the best least-known metal musician I've heard. If anyone has a recommendation I'll gladly take them, as I'm getting tired of listening to Spastik Ink and Blotted Science on repeat... Everything has mentioned has either clean-ish or no vocals at all, but I'm down for whatever. Thanks!

Machinations of Dementia is still one of my favorite albums of all time even though I never really liked Jarzombek's work in Watchtower, though that's more a problem of not liking that style of metal. I would strongly suggest checking out Amogh Symphony, specifically Quantum Hack Code. You also might like Panzerballett for over-the-top instrumental metal, though they're about halfway between jazz and metal so maybe that's not quite what you're looking for.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Overkill become?

Second one is relatively easy, that first one is rough.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

No idea if anyone would know anything about this, but what has Blotted Science been up to recently? Ron Jarzombek last updated the news section of his website back in November and there was talk that he'd been about to start going into the studio to record. This blog said the album was due out at the end of last year and I've heard nothing about it since. Did they all give up on it or something?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

I mean, his band is called Porcupine tree

Didn't get this until now. Probably because there's nothing really to get.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

The_dude_abides posted:

I like the two new Meshuggah tracks I heard for their album that comes out soon. Reminds me of Chaosphere and the live recording gives it more energy. Any impressions of the rest of the album from people that have heard it?

Apparently the actual song Violent Sleep of Reason is incredible, as is the rest of the album from what reviewers have written. Been hoping for a leak to listen to it early but looks like I'll have to actually wait for it to come out legitimately.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Listened to the leak and Violent Sleep of Reason might be my favorite Meshuggah song. The album as a whole is absolutely crushing to the point that it's difficult to tolerate listening to from start to finish even though I like the band and have been eagerly awaiting this for months. Solid work all around.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

The Astonishing by Dream Theater is one of the most embarassing works of art ever created. It has a bad guy named Lord Nafaryus, and a map of its world which contains a location called "Fort Truth." On the other hand, I'm boring enough that the new Meshuggah is my album of the year so my opinions on music probably aren't worth much.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Weren't they going to put out a series of books, comics, and games based on this retarded concept album?

Forgot about the video game. From the site:

quote:

Turbo Tape Games and Dream Theater are proud to announce the production of The Astonishing game, based on the concept album by the same name. The game will be released on PC, Mac, iOS and Android, in Q2 2016!

The game is based on the album’s story, setting, and characters, giving players an opportunity to further experience the world of Ravenskill and the G.N.E.A. while battling Empirical forces and securing man-made artistry’s place in the futuristic world set forth in the universe of The Astonishing. Tactical gameplay and a storyline that progresses with the player make this a can’t-miss experience for gamers and music fans alike. The game will share core gameplay mechanics with TTG’s critically acclaimed UHR: Warlords, with several enhancements for this new project. The game will be available as a free download for iOS, Android, PC and Mac expected in late April, 2016. - with a one-time fee to continue playing past the first two missions. The game features both single-player and multi-player pass-and-play same-device functionality.

Sounds amazing, can't wait for April 2016 to finally come.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Meshuggah released another song from their new album the other day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYAik9oZMTA

I'm liking it more than the first one they released but both are great. Middle section gives me Straws Pulled at Random vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Immutable is out and it's absolutely crushing. Was worried that covid troubles and a long production time would lead to a subpar end result but it's one of their best albums, Phantoms is an immediate favorite.