Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

Shakenbaker posted:

I'm digging it so far, and I really can't wait to see how it plays out on stage. I caught their show in Tampa a few weeks after Cory died and it honestly got to me a bit hearing Oderus constantly bellow out for Flattus and point to the stars begging him to come back. Can't wait to catch them in November again. Will be my eighth time seeing them, and I'm dragging everyone I can talk into going along. Better to die with some friends.

I was at that show and I may or may not have totally shed a tear. Did you by any chance go to the Splattergod Records Gwar Meet and Greet in 2005? I think it was Smoot's first tour with them. I have the signed poster framed on the wall. :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Ireallylikeeggs posted:

So the newest Ulcerate album (Vermis) is getting pretty rave reviews.

In my opinion, they're underselling just how astonishing of an album it is. The last two were great, with Destroyers of All being a bit weaker than Everything is Fire, at least to me. But this new one is truly in a class by itself. I just assumed the new Gorguts would be my metal album of the year, but nope. Vermis sounds like no death metal album I've ever heard. It's a swirling, cacophonous barrage of bleakness and despair. But the quality of the musicianship and composition is absolutely peerless, and the actual recording itself suits the music perfectly. In particular, their drummer understands restraint and patience more than any metal drummer I can think of. It's an album that really needs to be heard all the way through, but if you want to check out just one track, listen to Cessation.

I have no doubt it might be a bit too noisy for some people, but I encourage everyone to give it a listen. It's not for everyone, but I can say almost certainly that Vermis is the best metal album I've ever heard.

Let me shamelessly plug my review for this album. http://axisofmetal.com/2013/08/ulcerate-vermis-review/

I only say this because...yes. It's definitely an album of the year contender, right up there with Gorguts. This album is awesome in all the ways I want from modern-y death metal.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Houseplant posted:

So has anyone had a chance to listen to the leak from Twilight of the Gods?

http://www.season-of-mist.com/bands/twilight-of-the-gods

I heard the live set was so-so considering it was all Bathory covers, but I am definitely curious to hear an original album.

Lyric video from the title track "Fire on the Mountain": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmtBeUA8cTA

Ninja edit: Those falsettos: :black101:

This poo poo is awesome! I heard it...or a few tracks anyway...in December.
Stoked that this is a finished product.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

QPZIL posted:

So, a couple years ago I see that Nachtmystium's Blake Judd is trying to raise funds for their next album (this was right before they recorded "Silencing Machine"). I emailed back and forth with Blake and he was going to sell me a couple limited pressing LPs for $50. I paypalled him, and gave it a few weeks. Emailed him to check up. Nothing. Emailed him a month later, no response. Emailed him a couple months later, no response.

Flash forward to today, I see that he's been arrested on theft charges because he's been doing that poo poo to tons of people, along with stealing from bandmates, allegedly stealing a guitar from a band they played with, even supposedly forging contractual documents so that he can steal royalty money. The guys who run HHB and NWN! even posted about sending him hundreds of dollars to buy CDs from him - both guys trying to buy the same CDs, neither of them getting anything! (Granted: I don't know what exactly he's being charged with in this case, that's just other stuff I've heard through the grapevine.)

Mugshot:

I guess I should have know better than to send money to a well-known heroin and cocaine addict. Whatever, I'm surprised nobody's beaten the poo poo out of him yet. Dickhead.

Not that I'm bitter or anything :)
He also made a huge kerfuffle on the Barge to Hell. He missed his flight to Miami and the Barge people had to pull strings to get him on the boat in the Bahamas.

Because he missed his flight, he also missed their first set (each band plays twice). Nachtmystium (and all the bands) were contractually obligated to play two sets, so they created an extra time for them to play. He basically played two fifteen minute sets, and he played them pretty badly. People were pretty upset.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

John Magnum posted:

I only ever really got into V - Halmstad, never Klagopsalmer or Fodd Forlorare. And I never even heard Redefining Darkness. Is the new one worth checking out, then?

It's all about The Eerie Cold! And the SUbmit to Self-Destruction EP. Pure hatred! :black101:

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Morbid Florist posted:

Type O Negative's covers of Summer Breeze and Cinnamon Girl were loving sweet, and Coroner's cover of the Beatles' I Want You was good :colbert:

I LOVE that Coroner/Beatles cover.

Exodus with Souza did an AC/DC cover that is a lot of fun too, although I guess AC/DC could fall under the rock umbrella and not count.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0k8PmcUfb8

Oh, and their Low Rider cover that is thoroughly ridiculous. Every time it comes on, I always laugh. I'm not sure this makes it "good," but it makes me smile, drat it. :black101: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYsW9aWxa6E

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Weaponized Cum posted:

So Terrorizer is touring? They'll play in South Florida next week.

It's Pete Sandoval, Lee Harrison (Monstrosity) and Sam Molina (Ex-Monstrosity). They have two FL dates and played NJ DeathFest, but I haven't seen anything about a tour.

Also, to the goon who thinks Rob Dukes is the best Exodus vocalist...

FOR SHAME! :black101:

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

QPZIL posted:

I had to miss Watain on Saturday :'( I hate everything now.

Then again, I missed it so I could get married, so there's that.

Come to Baltimore tonight. Problem solved. Congrats!

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I heard the Skeletonwitch album people were raving about and I dunno, didn't do much for me. I'll still give it a try because I've seen people all over the internet love it.

I just...can't get into Skeletonwitch. The internet loves them but they are just SO mediocre.

Monkeytime posted:

Watain were incredibly good, but both the openers (Tribulation and In Solitude) were so incredible as well that I was worn out by the beginning of the (very long) first encore. After Sworn to the Dark and Reaping Death I thought they were going to pack it in, but they just kept on going.

Does Watain always tour with a live guitarist who isn't part of the group? Pelle from In Solitude was really, really good playing with them (amazing energy playing back-to-back sets) but I thought it was odd that it was him playing all of the lead parts and solos.

Tribulation were great! I'm not a fan of In Solitude's music, but they were really good to watch. Of course, Watain are the masters of live shows. I don't think I've ever seen Watain as a five piece, and I've seen them on like, every tour since their first ever US one. I am wracking my brain, but I don't think I've ever seen them play as more than a four piece.

I kind of like it though- with Erik just singing, there's a lot more little nuanced things in the live show that make it more like a ritual, which is totally their style.

E.I lied, I think on the Decibel tour, T he Devils Blood dude played with Watain.

thepitgoddess fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 5, 2013

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

edrith posted:

Finntroll were great, played a lot of stuff off the new album, lots of fun, but their show was kind of a mess. The sound had been fine for Metsatoll and Blackguard, but the way they had it for Finntroll completely overpowered Vreth's voice. They don't have Skrymer with them because of a legal issue (not sure if that means visas or if he killed a dude or what but I'm pretty sure he won't be on the tour at all.) His replacement (didn't get his name) looks about fifteen but held up his end pretty well. Halfway through one of their amps stopped working and Vreth decided to deal with the pause in the show by dancing, which was greatly appreciated by the hordes of teenage girls in the crowd. Still a pretty rad show, I just wish I'd been able to see them on full throttle.

I think it's a paperwork issue, not a he killed a dude issue, but his replacement, I am pretty sure, is in Arsis.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Haggins posted:

I know this post is like a week old but thanks for this. I remember a year ago or so, a goon posted something on Botswana metal scene. Picked up the Crackdust album from that and been jamming to it since then. I'm digging the Botswana sound.

Was it me? I did an interview with Crackdust forever ago.

Also, Kim Kelly's friend (? she's been repping these posts) has been doing a series on Invisible Oranges about African Metal.

http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2013/05/egypt-culture-of-the-undefeated/
http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2013/06/african-metal-2-libya-and-tunisia/
http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2013/08/african-metal-algeria-morocco/
http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2013/09/african-metal-4-cameroon/
http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2013/10/african-metal-5-uganda/

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Xandoom posted:

Thank you! After talking about it with his parents and doing a bit of research as well as this I think I'm gonna take him. Might keep him away from the pits but if they're relatively tame it's part of the experience. Can't wait now!

I started going ot shows when I was about 14. I was slamming in the pit at 15. I'm a small chick (Haggins and het can attest to this) and I've never been seriously injured.

That said, I've seen a kid about twelve years old get his rear end kicked in a few pits up here (notably Kreator), but he had a huuuuge grin on his face the whole time. He'll he fine!

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

het posted:

Hey, remember that time Gorguts and Eluveitie opened for Aerosmith? Good times.

The way the multi-stage fest set up works it doesn't "feel" like a band in a complete other section of the fest is opening for the main stage bands.

Each stage could be it's own fest.

Don't you dare poo poo on Hellfest, I will punch you in the butt, het. :P

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

Well I no longer have to be mad about missing Gorguts in Columbus, because the Decibel Magazine tour was just announced and they are playing it, with Carcass headlining. Unfortunately they are behind the Black Dahlia Murder on the bill, but I can deal with it. The opener is Noisem. Are they any good?

Noisem are cool. Really young kids from Baltimore.
http://a389recordings.bandcamp.com/album/a389-128-noisem-agony-defined-12-cd

THey'll put on a pretty high energy show, a good choice for openers!

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Sheizerbrick posted:

Hey metal thread, I'm going to be in the US through February, is there a good gig guide website to see who's playing, or should I be looking for gig guides in each city I'm staying?

DC/DC, Southern MD and North VA has a good one, DCHeavymetal.com

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Someone murdered Avaejee (Sam-Ong Trysatyr) from Zygoatsis today.

That is really, really lovely.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Soooo, if anyone here is going on 70,000 Tons of Metal next week, I will be selling merch.

Come wave/high five/bring me tea. (But so help you if you bring sleepytime tea).

:)

Also, new Nausea crushes.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

QPZIL posted:

Xasthur and Weakling both fill the "depressive black suicide funeral metal" void for me. Ohhh, and Gris. Mgła's latest album, With Hearts Toward None is pretty depressive too.

Enjoy!

The first three albums from Shining (Sweden!). Especially The Eerie Cold. Holy poo poo.
And this EP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y37LP_5FrZw

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Misogynist posted:

70,000 tons of metalhead

I can attest that even the fatties get drunk on 70,000 Tons of Metal. And if ya'll were there and didn't swing by merch to meet me, shame on you :P

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Selim Lamouchi from the Devil's Blood passed away today.

(It's definitely confirmed, I confirmed it with their former TM/touring buddy.)
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2014/03/selim_louchi_of.html

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

You're more or less right about Inquisition, however I need to point out that they're two of the coolest dudes ever. Seriously, their new album was just...wow.

Also, for all my southern friends, my friends booked this sick as hell Southern Darkness Fest.
http://scrapyardmagazine.blogspot.com/2014/04/1st-annual-southern-darkness-festival.html

Check it out, because that poo poo is rad and I am going to be there.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Iceberg-Slim posted:

Holy poo poo, Inquisition is a 2-person gig? That just made them that much more awesome. My only regret about the Metal Alliance show is that they're playing in Philadelphia on the same day as Sabaton (at a different venue), damnit don't make me choose

Inquisition in Philly because I'll be there, so come and buy me a beer.

No?

Ok, also inquisition rips and so do Goatwhore, 1349 and Behemoth. If you want to get down, go to this show. If you wanna jump with fat nerds and listen to conspiracy theory stuff, then Iced Earth/Sabaton.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Iceberg-Slim posted:

Trollfest owns, as does pretty much any band that has Troll in the name come to think of it.

Livejournal: I ended up going to the Behemoth/Inquisition/Goatwhore/1349 show and regret missing Sabaton but holy poo poo was that a great lineup. Hail Satan etc

Yay! Sabaton is fun enough live, but there were a lot of large smelly people there (at the VA show).

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Did you happen to see this guy? He was all over the place:

He's one of the local satanic hispanics. He looks like that after every show, pretty much

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Monkeytime posted:

God drat it, after that Watain show in Brooklyn every two-bit Satanic black metal band is going to be pouring chicken blood all over the place as though it's not absolutely disgusting. I went to see Lord Mantis and Hell Militia last night and these guys were the local opener:

Old boy was wearing an inverted cross made out of what appeared to be chicken bones and had sheep or goat jaws dangling from his pants. After one song he informed us that BALLTIMORRRREEEE! IT IS TIIIIIME! TO DRINK THE BLOOD OF SAAAAATAN! AND BE BAPTIZED! IN! BLAAAAAAAASPHEMY!

He had something in his hand and I figured that was my cue to back up. Fortunately for everyone, our blood-spitting radar was working perfectly and the stream of acrid, foul blood that he spewed in our direction just landed on the floor. To be honest, it really wasn't much blood, just a mouthful, but the Sidebar is pretty much a basement without great air circulation and the smell was pretty awful.

Anyway, Lord Mantis came on later and was really loving good. If you have a chance to catch that tour absolutely do so. Also, buy Charlie Fell a beer and chat him up, he's a really nice guy.

Oh heyyyy local dude! We should drink a beer sometime, although I'm kind of in hibernation mode.
I frequent Sidebar when I'm not though!

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Monkeytime posted:

You going to be at Ash Borer/Hell/Ilsa/Barbelith Thursday? Gonna be a great show.

That or eyehategod, iron Reagan and vektor. Might do ashborer in Philly? I cant decide.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

So someone in my Twiiter cohort posted this. It came HIGHLY recommended, which usually leaves me let down, but I ended up really loving this: Aura by Saor

http://saor.bandcamp.com/album/aura

It's black-y, folk-y, Celtic-y. It's not cheesy or corny and it's really beautiful without being saccharine.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

You left out Kyuss and now it's fighting time.

This. There is literally no better long distance driving music.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Was anyone else at Nifelheim on Sunday? I took the bus up from MD and holy cow that show made the dumb bus ride worth ti.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

They added a bass player and there might be a guy that just does programming.

Yeah, they have a bass player and that handsome dude doing the synths is my man :3

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Hammer Floyd posted:

Bonded By Blood is awesome.

I think the Rob Dukes stuff is worth checking out. Atrocity Exhibit A or Exhibit B both have some loving killer songs on them. Some are a bit filler-ish, but the good ones make it worthwhile.

Tempo Of The Damned is also pretty bitching. Exodus are fairly consistent. It does what it says on the tin.

I would pass on Exhibit A and just stick to B- or even Shovel Headed Kill Machine if you want Dukes stuff.

Bonded, Tempo and Fabulous Disaster are my top three picks.
Exhibit A would be better if every song wasn't so damned long.

e: PS that Cult of Endtime poo poo rips!

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

joem83 posted:

We actually get a ton! We have a venue that does pretty much nothing but metal (http://brickbybrick.ticketfly.com/) and there are several others that will have various types of metal. I think I'll take the advice and go, it's on a Thursday at least. The other two acts I'm thinking about going to see are Ulcerate (on a Monday, ugh) and Demilich/Hooded Menace on a Tuesday.

If it's a choice, pick Ulcerate over Vektor. Ulcerate's drummer is one of the most incredible drummers I've seen live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

It's hard for me to remember since their band name is so generic and lovely, but is Atheist a bunch of racist nazis or are they cool dudes?

THey're nice enough. As someone mentioned, they had a few gay members. Also, Kelly has a daughter with somewhat severe learning disabilities, from what I understand, so I'd think he's somewhat OK.