Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
Have any of you guys heard of God of Atheists? I just became aware of this band, I don't know if they're new or what. If you don't feel like clicking that link it's a band featuring Trym, Ihsahn and ICS Vortex. They don't seem to have any music yet but it looks like a cool future thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
The first twenty seconds are all you need to see.

THIS IS MUSIC *Dream Theater*

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
So in case you weren't aware, Nile posted this on their Facebook a couple days ago.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Misogynist posted:

On more of a prog track, if any of you guys dig Existem, they just made their debut a free download on Bandcamp:

http://existem.bandcamp.com/

Hey, thanks for the shoutout. Kind of weird to make the announcement and see someone post about it here in the thread. We're working on new stuff and ought to have a new EP out this summer, if you care.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
I don't think djent is a genre, just a movement in prog metal. To me calling it a genre is like calling Swedish-style death metal a different genre from American-style. Most of it is redundant, same-y crap but I do like a few bands (Cloudkicker, Animals as Leaders, Periphery). I know it's not the metal thread's type of jam and I'm fine with that, sometimes I just need something super hi-fi and modern with rubbery riffs.

Speaking of which, I saw Meshuggah last night and they completely killed it. One of the tightest live outfits I've ever seen. They all play to a click so they don't even count in their songs, they just start with no warning. It's awesome.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I agree, they put on a tight show. Last weekend Jens was pretty sick and the guy from Intronaut sang vocals for the last song. Imagine that opportunity.

Yeah, I heard about that. As cool as that would be I'd be down if I didn't get to see Jens perform. Luckily he's all better now and he kicked rear end last night.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

nagel posted:

Just bought your cd, great stuff! How's the shipping to Sweden, timewise?

Thanks a lot! I don't know if we've ever shipped to Sweden before, but most of our international orders arrive within about a week of shipping. Our singer handles mailing them out and he'll get to it within the next 2-3 days I'd guess. If it doesn't show just shoot us an email or PM me.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Minto Took posted:

To no one's great surprise, Paul Bostaph now drums again for Slayer.

Am I alone in thinking Bostaph was the superior drummer compared to Dave Lombardo? I know Lombardo gets all the (deserved) credit, but Bostaph's drumming was the bright spot of their lackluster '90s output, plus he was a badass on Testament's Formation of Damnation album.

Not that I approve of Slayer being active in any capacity now that Jeff's gone, just saying.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Stargate posted:

I can't stop listening to 'Edge of the Earth' by Sylosis. I'm still reeling from how good their vocalist/lead guitarist is. Just phenomenal. As far as songwriting and technicality goes they just hit the nail right on the head for me. Could anyone suggest bands with similar styles to this? Like fast, hard but with the slowed down "epic" guitar sections too? Good guitar solos would be a huge bonus.

Revocation?

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
New Gorguts song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk7nb-idmdI

I think it's pretty good.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
NEW SKELETONWITCH YALLLLLL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd0y6vFC3CA

I really dig it.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
Any of you guys who went to Maiden last night see the Christian group protesting the concert outside? They were handing out these fliers of Eddie crying and praying for forgiveness. It was pretty funny.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
Legitimately surprised we talked about metal Depeche Mode covers and this wasn't mentioned.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-qnmAsiZb0

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
The new Alcest is a pretty good shoegaze/post-rock record, if you're surprised by the change in direction I don't think you've really been paying attention.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
Yo metal thread, a year and a half ago I posted a thread advertising my prog metal band Existem's full-length. Some people liked it so I thought I'd let you know we put up a new EP a couple days ago for free. Check it out here.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Woolie Wool posted:

Modern thrash needs fewer tired Exodus/Slayer/Kreator/Sepultura knockoffs and more power-thrash--bands like Artillery, Toxik, Realm, Forbidden, etc. But then that would require them to actually know how to write songs and hire a real singer so why bother with that when you can just take the path of least resistance, right? :downsgun:

Counterpoint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5Fy1B6OWP8

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
On the topic of Japanese metal, a few years ago someone in this thread posted a live video of a band called Gargoyle who wore costumes and played kind of a speed/thrash/power metal thing. I've been trying to find that video again ever since, anyone know what I'm talking about? Video was like 6ish minutes long.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
I know they're usually fodder for the stoner/sludge/doom thread, but the new Boris song is kind of...approaching thrash metal?

https://soundcloud.com/sargent-house/boris-quicksilver/

Whatever, I dig it.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Shakenbaker posted:

So I discovered today that the dodad I listen to my music on at work can adjust speeds, and so decided to put it up to 150% and put it on shuffle. Learned some things:

Most anything involving Dio turns into music from an NES Mega Man game. I don't know how he managed it, but good on him.
Bal Sagoth is stays exactly as ridiculous as they are at normal speed.
Exodus become even more hilarious than usual.
Bongripper just turns into Goatsnake (listen to Hail and tell me I'm wrong).

Anyone else ever do this? It's stupid as hell but I certainly got a few laughs and a new way to kill time out of it.

Blackwater Park turns into Vektor.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Cesaro posted:

Just found out about and promptly bought tickets to Agalloch this summer. I didn't I'd ever get to see them live.

Here's the tour listing:

Praying to god that TBA date is Kansas City.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
Sargent D actually rules and is right about everything.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Random customer at work* recommended I check out a band called Wolfhammer. So I look them up on Metal Archives and they're a French NSBM band (what) that released a seven-minute, four-track demo in 2001 and split up.

I think I may have the wrong band, because 1) who the gently caress recommends NSBM to a stranger and 2) I swear he was talking about American black metal when he mentioned the name Wolfhammer. Also you'd think that a band only having released literally seven minutes of music ever would be something you'd mention.

:wtc:

* We were talking about metal, he'd didn't just go "hey, dude, check out Wolfhammer" out of the loving blue. I gave no indication that I was interested in NSBM and he gave no indication that it was NSBM.

He was probably talking about Wolvhammer, who are American.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
Drove up to Omaha to catch Agalloch last night, fantastic show. They had a great atmosphere and kind of bounced between the new record and Ashes, with some Marrow and a couple older jams. I'm glad I made the trip, that's one more ban to cross off my bucket list.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Gils posted:

Yeah, it was a pretty great show. I liked when the drummer called out a song request.

Thrones wasn't terribly interesting for me, I'm not into ambient stuff. Got pretty intense at parts, though.

Haha, me too. The Thrones dude usually has a bass but his rig crapped out on him the day before so we got that ambient set. It had some cool parts.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Monkeytime posted:

From a bit back, but Entropia's Vesper is what you're looking for. I kept going back and forth about whether I liked this or Sunbather more, and finally settled on the former.

drat dude, I think I remember you or someone posting this and I'm just now listening to it but it's real good.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
I always liked this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmUgDrdbDhQ

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
If Jari releases the stems for the Time II songs that means someone good can mix it.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
gently caress yeh dude

I saw Gojira last week. I'd describe myself as a casual fan and they put on a really good show. Extremely tight musicians and the setlist was great. Go see em if you haven't.

I met Alex Webster from CC last month, he was a really cool guy. He introduced me to his friend that used to be in CC and Origin. We pretty much shot the poo poo on metal and the bass for a while (I play an instrument~)

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
I literally said to my friend two days ago that Chris Broderick is wasted on Megadeth. Good for him for getting out.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

ElectricWizard posted:

I just got my copy, and it is sounding drat good. Had a deadline on the list though, so Dead Congregation missed it even though it might well have deserved a spot. Same goes for Swallowed, 11Paranoias, Ascension, and [insert your favorite band here].

Your username is ElectricWizard and Time To Die didn't make your top 30?

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Hammer Floyd posted:

So I got Fleshgod Apocalypse's album Labyrinth because I thought the song Epilogue kicked rear end (which it does)

I just wish the rest of the album...y'know...did other stuff as well.

My friend played me some of their album. All I heard was just huge bombastic orchestra over blast beats nonstop. Gets pretty dull IMO.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Speaking of live shows, I guess it's time I share my project I've been working on. I hope you don't mind a little shameless self-promotion real quick.

I put together a website for metal tour dates in the US and Canada - www.metaltours.us. I got tired of searching through all sorts of bullshit to find shows coming by me so I made this site. There's no reviews, interviews, top 10 lists, or any of that - just metal tour dates. It auto-publishes the feed to the facebook site and the twitter feed, and I've got a mailing list you can sign up for that I'll use to send out weekly/monthly updates.

Anyways, this page just started off as a personal project of mine that's sort of taken off (hit 666 likes 2 days ago on the fb page, almost at 800 now, and I submitted the link to reddit/r/metal last night and it's getting a lot of good feedback, so I wanted to share with you goons. Right now it's just one guy (me) doing the updates whenever I find them, but I'm hoping this thing can get even bigger and become the go-to place for this stuff. Hope you guys like it!

Hey, I think I was one of the first 100 people to like this. Didn't know it was done by a goon. Solid idea.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Power Trip's Manifest Decimation is one of my favorite albums of all time. Been dying to see those guys forever now.

Seeing them on Sunday!

With...Title Fight.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
Did that Journal song have a jingle from Final Fantasy in it? And it came out in 2010?! I like some of these bands being posted but lol

I usually refer to the more metal-oriented metalcore bands as metallic hardcore. But that's probably kind of dumb/lame. I'm talking about bands like Converge when I use that term.

Speaking of which, I'm psyched for that At the Gates tour in a couple weeks with them. They have a DVD coming out soon too which should be sweet, cause they do pretty well recorded, IMO.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Gamma Nerd posted:

Super Metroid's item jingle.

gently caress. It was on the tip of my tongue so I just guessed.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
Alaska/Colors were peak BTBAM for me. Great Misdirect was ok but I couldn't get into the last album very much. They seemed more interested in out-BTBAMing themselves with more and more complex arrangements and technical parts that when I saw them last year playing the album all the way through it bored the pants off of me, and when they played a Colors song afterwards it was obvious how much better that felt to me.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Holy gently caress why did you post that band and why did I look it up to see what you were talking about :frogout:

I think he was talking about the Voivod album.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
My feeling on Ghost Reveries was pretty meh for a while, but I gave it another listen a couple months ago and was surprised how much I liked it. Lopez sounded like he woke up behind the kit, and I really liked the addition of a full-time keyboard player. Great guitar work too. Blackwater Park will probably always be my favorite though.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
AJFA has its share of duds but it also has One, which is probably one of the best metal songs ever, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
Wormrot should get their new drummer from Indonesia, seems like there's a zillion crappy bands there to me.