Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Takes No Damage posted:

I can't decide if it's good or bad to go out so quickly after being diagnosed

Odds are that he had a good idea what was going on since they said he was in such bad shape over the past year, he just didn't want to go find out/live out life on chemo, etc. The diagnosis probably happened because he couldn't not be taken to a hospital at that point. He just wanted to keep on doing what he loved and screw whatever happened :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Pretty left field festival lineup

I feel like Weezer needs to be thrown in so there's a time to go to the bathroom and get a beer.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Pantera - Power Metal

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The Kins posted:

The Megadeth discussion makes me wonder: What re-recording "remaster/remix" projects have improved upon the original version? It seems like a lot of them are mostly either ego projects or attempts to gently caress old band members or record labels over for one reason or another.

Personally, I'm throwing the 20th Anniversary re-do of Dog Fashion Disco's Erotic Massage into the ring, primarily because, well, unlike the original version it doesn't sound like it was recorded in a bedroom or public restroom (song depending).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuUVZnKtXFA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3xSOH6TElA

(Also, its version of Looking For Love/Where Have You Gone/whatever it's called this week is sublime but that's neither here nor there)

Aside from nostalgia, Days of Purgatory pretty clearly improved the material from Iced Earth's early days.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Not sure if this has been posted here yet, but Megadeth is releasing a deluxe version of Killing is my Business which includes These Boots, live tracks ripped from a bunch of VHS cassettes Dave Mustaine found in his attic, and their original demo tape. $30 for the red vinyl version which includes flyers and poo poo, not too bad IMO.

http://centurymedia.merchnow.com/products/v2/269257/killing-is-my-businessand-business-is-good-the-final-kill-red

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

tote up a bags posted:

I know posting Devin in this thread causes half of you to meltdown but someone made Devin Townsend Albums portrayed by It's Always Sunny clips and it's great.

Who doesn't like Devin Townsend and what is wrong with them.

edit: also speaking of Devin Townsend just today he announced the first of four vinyl box sets covering his solo works, god drat $140 for the first of four, plus $50 shipping. No thanks

https://www.omerch.eu/shop/devintownsend/products/devin-townsend-7lp-eras-vinyl-collection-part-1-star-exclusive-star

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 12, 2018

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Hammer_Golden_Gods_Awards good lord these are a mess and really bad! Slipknot best live band? How is Nightwish a "newcomer" in 2005 or whatever?

quote:

Somethingawful dot com's Metal Thread, home to any and all Ghost discussion forever and ever and ever

http://www.childrenofghost.com/2018...ew-single-rats/

I like Ghost but this is like Ozzy meets Motley Crue and that Day Man chorus is way too tryhard for a singalong.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 12, 2018

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

OpaqueEcho posted:

Somethingawful dot com's Metal Thread, home to any and all Ghost discussion forever and ever and ever

http://www.childrenofghost.com/2018/04/12/stream-ghosts-new-single-rats/

Speaking of, preorder poo poo for Ghosts's new album Prequelle (out 6/1) is up. It ranges for $7 for word magnets + a digital download to $185 for 3xcd, tshirt, poster, 2 7" singles, a deluxe colored vinyl, an 8 track, a cassette, and other dumb poo poo.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Since it's called "prequelle" and the tour ends on the day it comes out, I feel like there'll be another phase of their story at that time and maybe even another album coming out in the fall. That seems a bit ridiculous but the tour ending on the day the album comes out seems kind of significant especially with the name.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

remigious posted:

I saw ghost live last year and it was totally worth the drive down to Denver. The ghouls are very active on stage and clearly had a blast being there. I was wondered if one of them was a lady due to the person’s small stature. If so kudos to the band for not sexualizing their female member.

Yeah one of the new set of ghouls is female, for this tour she'll have a different mask but that's it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Some people on their Reddit talk as though she's no longer in the band and it's a different bassist. Forge isn't really going to clarify so who knows. The gloves for the ghouls are probably to prevent that from happening in the future.

Can't lose the ability to fire people without getting asked questions!

edit: supposedly here's a full list of the current band - it states Megan Thomas was only in the band for 2016 and has been replaced, but it's all males so this clearly isn't 100% up to date based on the new promo shots.

The current keyboardist is the dude from Korn :lol:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ghostbc/wiki/spoilerfaq

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 13, 2018

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

So I don't know if I'm walking into another irony trap here or not, but why the gently caress doesn't Blind Guardian reissue Nightfall in MIddle-Earth on vinyl? I'd gladly pay $100 for it if it had some dumb bonus poo poo, but $300+shipping on discogs for a picture disc without a sleeve is a little beyond silly. Plus the band would get $0 for that.

The impetus for this poo poo post was me listening to the album for the first time in a very long time and realizing A) it's the best loving album ever and B) it's one of the few you can't get on vinyl without selling a kidney.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Apr 15, 2018

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Zodijackylite posted:

That's a 65m+ album on a single vinyl. Don't do it!

Ha, good point. That's got to be horrible quality.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

spookygonk posted:

So it's not an aftershave?

I mean it says signature crafted gin but I guess you could use it as an aftershave if you're really going for that hobo chic vibe.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Dimebags Brain posted:

the best intro is an ear-piericing scream.

Pantera - Suicide Note Pt II cranked to max

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Is Diamond Head still considered metal?

Because some recent NWOBHM talk (see above!) reminded me of them; their original album Lightning to the Nations is being reissued by a label in Germany, the third pressing comes out this Friday with black, white, and translucent electric blue. The total count is about 1000. So if you have a turntable and you're interested, go for it. The 3-4k copies they've pressed counting this seem to be the only copies pressed since the early 80s.

http://hrrecords.de

I bought Lightning to the Nations on CD back in like...2000 because I was a Metallica fanboy, and now that was almost as long ago as the album was old then. Holy gently caress.

(yeah I post about vinyl a lot, my interests in metal and vinyl have basically been rekindled at the same time)

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Apr 19, 2018

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Wooper posted:

The only thing by Diamond Head I've heard is Lightning to the Nations and I don't know if I want to check out anything else because you can't improve on perfection.

That album is great throughout.

Funnily enough as much as I loved lightning to the Nations back when I first got it on CD, I've never checked out anything else. I've never even heard anything good about any of it except for their 2016 album...which really isn't the same band no matter what Brian Tatler wants to call it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Checking out Korpiklaani links led me to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7kJRGPgvRQ

I can't tell if it's terribly awesome or awesomely terrible.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

Yeah, Priest is charging quite a bit on this current tour.

Only so many more tours left to pay for grandkids' college/weddings.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

COOL CORN posted:

If you like KISS and ABBA, you're going to loving love the Ghost single coming out tomorrow.

I say that as a good thing

edit-- gonna put a ghost patch on my vest i think

This song owns in the cheesiest way possible.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Vulture Culture posted:

The song is kinda eh but "just wanna bewitch you in the moonlight" is pretty clever as delivered

I feel stupid because I didn't get it the first few listens and was wondering why he was pronouncing it that way. Of course. It wouldn't even make sense as a Ghost song if it was just "be with you."

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Gonna listen to this album today for sure.

https://youtu.be/GxXmodWTGJ0

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Pokey Araya posted:

A guy I toured with use to live in LA and saw the guitarist (one in the sunglasses in that video) sitting in the corner looking rough as hell about 6 years ago. This is when they first blew up, and he recognized him from the fire and the flames video.

Hate to break it to you but that was 13 years ago not 6, you're older than you think (me too)

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Varg posted:

Guitar Hero was a thing that probably should have never happened.

I saw Iron Maiden last night, they still rule so much. Most of the classics were played, it was amazing. Some guy from Germany was there and is seeing like 5 or 6 shows on this tour, that's a crazy level of dedication.

Agreed on Guitar Hero. Just left everybody with a bunch of embarassing toy instruments.

I have tickets for a show next month; Iron Maiden was like my third concert ever back in 2000 and somehow I haven't seen them since. Time to fix that (and luckily it's one of their nostalgia tours)

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Seeing Iron Maiden tonight for the second time (and first in 19 years) :black101: I had tickets Thursday but it's more convenient for me to drive 7 hours round-trip to Indy on a Saturday than it is to go to the suburbs on a Thursday since my wife needs the car for work. Stupid adulthood.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Nail Rat posted:

Seeing Iron Maiden tonight for the second time (and first in 19 years) :black101: I had tickets Thursday but it's more convenient for me to drive 7 hours round-trip to Indy on a Saturday than it is to go to the suburbs on a Thursday since my wife needs the car for work. Stupid adulthood.

Trip report: Iron Maiden still loving owns. I thought I might come away from it thinking they're too old and are embarrassing now, but not at all.

Bruce Dickinson dual wielded flamethrowers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Rats was one of the weaker songs on Prequelle so this makes me think this album is gonna be really loving good.

edit: though I guess Hunter's Moon is on this album so outlook cloudy.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 20, 2022